Arado Ar 96


Entrenador alemán
German trainer

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(Ar 96B-2)
TECHNICAL DATA
(Ar 96B-2)
TIPO:Entrenador avanzado biplaza. TYPE: Two-seat advanced trainer.
TRIPULANTES:2 CREW:2
ENVERGADURA:11 m. SPAN:36.1 ft.
LONGITUD:9’10 m. LENGTH:29.10 ft.
ALTURA:2’60 m. HEIGHT:8.61 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:17’10 m². WING AREA:184.07 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:1.295 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:2,854 lb.
MOTOR:Un Argus As 410A-1 de 12 cilindros en V invertida de 465 caballos. ENGINE:One 465-hp (347-kW) Argus As 410A-1 12-cylinder inverted-Vee piston engine.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Una ametralladora MG 17 de 7’92 mm. a proa.

ARMAMENT:

  • One fixed forward-firing 7.92-mm (0.31-in) MG 17 machine-gun.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:330 km/h. MAX. SPEED:205 mph.
TECHO:7.100 m. CEILING:23,295 ft.
ALCANCE:990 km. RANGE:615 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:Finales de 1938. FIRST FLIGHT:Late 1938.
VERSIONES:9 VERSIONS:9
CONSTRUIDOS:Alrededor de 11.546. BUILT:Around 11,546.

El Arado Ar 96 fue el entrenador avanzado de la Luftwaffe durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial. En total se construyeron en torno a 11.546 aparatos, algunos de los cuales se siguieron usando tras la guerra.

En 1935 un grupo de diseñadores de Arado Flugzeugwerke, dirigidos por Walter Blume comenzaron el diseño de un entrenador para la Luftwaffe que habría de simplificar enormemente el proceso de reaprendizaje de los pilotos alemanes en los nuevos cazas monoplanos. El Ar 96 era un monoplano de diseño bastante limpio fabricado completamente de metal mediante el uso de aleaciones ligeras. El instructor y el alumno iban sentados en tándem bajo una alargada cúpula acristalada.

Poco más tarde, la compañía comenzó la fabricación del primer lote del modelo de preserie, designado Ar 96A-0. El primero de ellos, Ar 96 V1, fue probado en vuelo a finales de 1938. Estaba equipado con un motor Argus As 10c y poseía la típica cola de Arado, con superficies horizontales muy retrasadas y el timón por delante de ellas. En el V1 las ruedas se plegaban hacia afuera, pero esto implicaba que el espacio entre ellas resultaba muy pequeño, por ello en los aparatos de producción las ruedas se plegaban hacia adentro. Las pruebas del V1 revelaron varios problemas, por ello se le realizaron importantes mejoras. Los asientos del instructor y del alumno fueron ligeramente elevados, lo que mejoró la visibilidad desde la carlinga pero hizo necesario cambiar la cúpula. Así mismo se rediseñaron las alas y la zona media del fuselaje, que se fabricó más ancho. Debido a estos cambios, el motor original no resultaba lo bastante potente para esta nueva versión, por lo que se decidió emplear un Argus As 410 de 12 cilindros en V refrigerado por aire, aunque también este motor necesitó de algunos ajustes. En 1939 se fabricó un pequeño lote de Ar 96A-0.

La principal versión producida desde 1940 fue el Ar 96B, equipado con un motor más potente Argus As 410A-1 de 465 litros y hélice bipala. Exteriormente, no se diferenciaba mucho del modelo anterior a excepción de los 35 cm. añadidos al fuselaje por la instalación de un motor más grande. Su estructura reforzada y el aumento en la capacidad de combustible significó un aumento paralelo del peso total hasta los 1.695 kg.

La producción en masa del Ar 96 corrió a cargo de la compañía Ago Flugzeugwerke, subsidiaria de Heinkel aunque fueron las fábricas checoeslovacas de Avia (desde mediados de 1941) y Letov (desde finales de 1943) las que realizaron la mayor parte de los aviones construidos.

El Ar 96B tuvo algunas variantes a lo largo de su producción. Tras el Ar 96B-1, versión de entrenamiento sin armamento, se construyó el modelo B-2 dotado de una ametralladora MG 17 de 7’92 mm. que se usó para entrenamiento artillero. La versión B-3 era similar a la B-2 pero se construyeron escasos ejemplares. El modelo B-5, también de entrenamiento artillero, fue dotado de una radio VHF FuG 16ZY y el Ar 96B-6 fue modificado para poder transportar bombas en soportes alares que luego se incluyeron de serie en el Ar 96B-7, empleado para el entrenamiento de tripulaciones de aviones de ataque y bombarderos en picado. Finalmente, el C-0, del que se fabricó un pequeño lote, fue una versión de preproducción de entrenamiento de bombardeo que incorporaba una pequeña ventana en la panza del aparato para el apuntador. Llevaba un motor Argus de 480 CV.

La Luftwaffe empleó el Ar 96 en sus escuelas de caza (Jagdschulgeschwader) como entrenador avanzado y también como entrenador en instrumentos de vuelo nocturno. Los aliados de Alemania también lo emplearon durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial. La Fuerza Aérea Húngara recibió 65 Ar 96A y 45 Ar 96B y llegó a considerar la posibilidad de fabricarlos con licencia en la factoría  MAVAG, que llegó incluso a construir un único Ar 96B en 1944 a partir de componentes importados. La Fuerza Aérea Eslovaca también recibió un Ar 96A y tres Ar 96B.



The Ar 96 was the primary training aircraft in the Luftwaffe during the Second World War. In total, there were built more than 11,500 machines, some of which were actively exploited after the war.

In 1935, a group of designers of Arado led by Walter Blume began designing a new training aircraft for the Luftwaffe, which was to greatly simplify the process of relearning German pilots on the new monoplane fighter.

Soon after, the company began pre-production for the release of the first batch of pre-production aircraft, designated Ar 96A-0. The first of them, Ar 96 V1, was flight tested at the end of 1938. It was equipped with Argus As 10c engine and reached a top speed of 325 km/h. However, the tests revealed various shortcomings, so Ar 96 VI underwent a major improvement. The seats for instructor and student were somewhat raised, which improved visibility from the cockpit, but forced to alter the canopy, the plane was given a new wing and a redesigned middle part of the fuselage, as well as the modified chassis – with the increased track width.

However, the capacity of the power plant is no longer consistent with the new version of the aircraft, it was decided to install a new car more powerful 12-cylinder V-twin air-cooled engine with an inverted cylinder block Argus As 410, although he also demanded a certain refinement. In 1938, the first 96 Ar VI, taken part in the flight tests, joined by three prototypes.However, due to lack of engine As first 410 production aircraft modifications Ar 96A-1 produced 10 As with the engine.

The main production version of Ar 96B entered production in 1940 and equipped with a motor Argus As 410A-1 capacity of 465 liters and a two-bladed propeller. Outwardly, this modification is almost no different from the version of the A-1, except for the increased fuselage length 35 cm – as a result of the installation of a larger engine. Recently also required to strengthen the structure, which, along with increased fuel, has led to an increase in curb weight up to 1695 kg car.

The main mass production Ar 96 was organized by the German company of Ago Flugzeugwerke (owned by the company Junkers), and in occupied Czechoslovakia connected to the program of Avia (from mid-1941) and Letov (from the end of 1943). Czech factories produced as a result most of 11,546 Ar 96 aircraft.

Following the basic naked option Ar 96B-1 was followed by Ar 96B-2, armed with a 7.92 mm machine gun MG 17 and used for the preparation of an air rifle. Option Ar 96B-3 had almost no design changes, but the Ar 96B-5, also intended for the preparation of an air rifle, was equipped with a radio FuG 16ZY, and at the option of Ar 96B-6 underwing bomb racks were worked out (later this modification went into the series under the symbol Ar 96B-7 and was used for training pilots and ground attack aircraft dive-bombers). Produced as modification of aircraft for aerial shooting training, induced by the presence of differing machine gun mounted in the rear cockpit.

Built in the amount of only one pre-production party, Ar 96C is an evolution of Ar 96B and equipped with a more powerful engine As 410C capacity of 480 liters and also had a small window at the bottom of the fuselage, which allowed to use it for training gunners.

The Luftwaffe used the Ar 96 in their training schools, training of fighter air wings, squadrons and training officer training schools for advanced flight training, training, night flying on instruments. During the Second World War, Ar 96 were the core training of fighter squadrons (Jagdschulgeschwader) and were part of the 13 groups.

The allies of Nazi Germany also actively exploited aircraft of this type. The Hungarian Air Force received 65 aircraft Ar 96A and 45 cars modifications Ar 96B, considered the possibility of organization of licensed production of aircraft at a local MAVAG (the company was able to build from imported components in 1944, only one Ar 96B). Slovak Air Force raspolArali one Ar Ar 96A and 96B three.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

Ugolok Neba
Rickard, J (4 October 2010), Arado Ar 96 , historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_arado_ar_96.htm

©jmodels.net