jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

Avro 696 Shackleton

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(MR.2)
TECHNICAL DATA
(MR.2)
TIPO:Avión de patrulla marítima. TYPE:Maritime patrol aircraft.
TRIPULANTES:10 CREW:10
ENVERGADURA:36’57 m. SPAN:120 ft.
LONGITUD:26’51 m. LENGTH:87.3 ft.
ALTURA:5’18 m. HEIGHT:17.5 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:132,015 m². WING AREA:1,421 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:23.314 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:51,400 lb.
MOTOR:Cuatro motores V12 en línea Rolls-Royce Griffon 57 o 57A de 1.690 CV (1.460 kW). ENGINE:Four Rolls-Royce Griffon 57 or 57A liquid-cooled V12 engines developing 1,960 hp (1,460 kW) each.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Dos cañones Hispano Mark V de 20 mm. en el morro.
  • Hasta 4.536 kg. de bombas, torpedos o minas, o cargas de profundidad convencionales o nucleares.
ARMAMENT:

  • Two 20 mm. Hispano Mark V cannon in the nose.
  • Up to 10,000 lb (4,536 kg) of bombs, torpedoes, mines, or conventional or nuclear depth charges.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:481 km/h. a 3.600 m. MAX. SPEED:299 mph. at 12,000 ft.
TECHO:6.156 m. CEILING:20,200 ft.
ALCANCE:3.600 km. (1.980 mil. náut.) RANGE:2.200 ml. (1,980 naut. ml.).
PRIMER VUELO:9 de marzo de 1949. FIRST FLIGHT:9 March 1949.
VERSIONES:14 VERSIONS:14
CONSTRUIDOS:181 (todos los modelos). BUILT:181 (all variants).

El avión de patrulla marítima de largo alcance Avro 696 Shackleton (VW126) hizo su primer vuelo el 9 de marzo de 1949 desde Woodford con el piloto de pruebas JH ‘Jimmy’ Orrell a los mandos. Fue diseñado en respuesta a la Especificación R 5/46 del Ministerio del Aire británico por un equipo dirigido inicialmente por Roy Chadwick, diseñador del Lancaster. Desafortunadamente, Chadwick murió en un accidente en 1947 aunque el proyecto siguió adelante sin pausa. El modelo fue desarrollado como respuesta británica a la creciente amenaza de la Marina Soviética y su flota submarina desplegada en aguas cercanas al Reino Unido.

El prototipo G.R.1 fue posteriormente configurado como MR.1 (Reconocimiento Marítimo) y difería de las últimas series fabricadas hasta el momento por sus torres artilladas y por su capacidad de repostaje en vuelo. Inicialmente se fabricó con la denominación de Type 696 Lincoln ASR3 para el mando Costero de la RAF y se trataba de una evolución principalmente del Avro Lincoln, si bien también heredó ciertas estructuras del Avro Tudor.

El MR.1 poseía un radar de búsqueda bajo el morro así como un cañón de 20 mm. sobre este. Otros dos cañones fueron emplazados en una torreta dorsal junto con dos ametralladoras de 0’5 pulgadas a cola. Llevaba dos motores Griffon 57A (internos) y dos Griffon 57 (externos).

Posteriormente, al entrar en servicio con la RAF en 1951, su nombre fue cambiado a Avro Shackleton por el explorador polar Sir Ernest Shackleton. La producción comprendió tres prototipos, seguidos de 29 MR.1 y 48 MR.1A con cuatro motores Griffon 57A y góndolas externas más anchas. El avión tuvo muchas mejoras respecto a diseños anteriores de Avro, el más importante su autonomía de 3.000 millas náuticas y su capacidad para llevar nuevos equipos de vigilancia electrónica en el interior del fuselaje.

El MR.2 (WB833) hizo su primer vuelo el 17 de junio de 1952 e incorporaba ciertas mejoras destinadas en principio al MR.1, como un morro más aerodinámico y mejoras en su instalación de radar, que pasó a ser un radomo escamoteable en forma de cubo bajo el fuselaje por detrás de la bodega de bombas. El armamento del morro y cola se suprimió aunque se mantuvo la torre dorsal, si bien se suprimió totalmente una vez en servicio. Dos ruedas de cola gemelas reemplazaron a la rueda de cola fija de una rueda. Se solicitaron 59 MR.2 complementados por otros 10 aparatos iniciados como MR.1 y terminados como MR.2.

El modelo final fue el Avro 716 Shackleton MR.3, el primero de los cuales (WR970) voló por vez primera el 2 de septiembre de 1955. El MR.3 fue otra modificación en el diseño original considerando la información obtenida de los tripulantes, e introdujo un tren de aterrizaje de tipo triciclo con dos ruedas principales, modificaciones en la planta alar y en los tanques de las puntas alares. Se incrementaron las dimensiones totales del fuselaje con alas nuevas dotadas de mejoras en los alerones y la capacidad de emplear depósitos auxiliares en las puntas. La carlinga y los puestos de los tripulantes fueron insonorizados y los aviones destinados a realizar patrullas de 15 horas fueron equipados con aseos y alojamiento para dormir. El cañón de 20 mm. del morro volvió a instalarse en el MR.3, no así la torre dorsal. Además, el modelo podía llevar cohetes o sonoboyas subalares.

Llevaba cuatro motores Rolls-Royce Griffon 27A dotados de hélices contrarrotatorias aunque el Shackleton MR.3 – Phase 3 llevó turborreactores Rolls-Royce Viper 203 de 2.500 libras de empuje que mejoraron sus prestaciones con la instalación de uno de los motores Viper en la parte posterior de cada góndola exterior.

La Fuerza Aérea Sudafricana adquirió 8 Shackleton MR.3 en 1953 a fin de vigilar a los navíos soviéticos que pasaban por las rutas del Cabo de Buena Esperanza y donde también realizaron misiones de búsqueda y rescate.

La producción del MR.3 comprendió 34 aviones para la RAF y 8 para la SAAF (Fuerza Aérea Sudafricana), mientras que algunos MR.1 y MR.1A fueron modificados como entrenadores de radio y navegación con la designación Shackleton T. Mk.4.

La resistencia del Shackleton se pudo comprobar en la Exhibición SBAC de 1960 en Farnborough, donde cada día del evento un avión despegaba al inicio de la muestra aérea y regresaba 24 horas más tarde.

Al igual que el Anson y el Vulcan, el Shackleton estaba destinado a tener una larga vida operativa, retirándose el último aparato en 1991, después de 42 años del vuelo del primer prototipo. El MR.3 operaba con un incremento notable de su peso total y por ello sufrió una reducción en su periodo de fatiga.

Al producirse una discontinuidad en la capacidad de Alerta Aérea Temprana (AEW) del Reino Unido (debido a problemas con el esperado Nimrod AEW y el inevitable retraso para introducir el Boeing E-3 Sentry), se tomó la decisión de modificar el Shackleton MR.2 para realizar misiones AEW. Se convirtieron 12 Shackleton AEW.2 en Woodford y Bitteswell, y el primero de ellos (WL745) hizo su vuelo inicial el 30 de septiembre de 1971. Estos aviones siguieron llevando la configuración de su rueda de cola e incorporaron un radar de búsqueda AN/APS-20 (tomado de los Fairey Gannet AEW3) montado en un radomo característico situado en la parte delantera del fuselaje.

Se fabricaron un total de 181 Shackleton entre los 3 prototipos, 77 MR.1/1A, 59 MR.2, 34 MR.3 y 8 MR3 para la SAAF.



The Avro 696 Shackleton long-range maritime patrol aircraft was first flown (VW126) on 9th March 1949 from Woodford in the hands of Chief Test Pilot JH ‘Jimmy’ Orrell. It was designed in response to Air Ministry Specification R 5/46 by a team led initially by Lancaster designer Roy Chadwick. Tragically, Chadwick was killed in a crash in 1947 although the project continued on unabated. The type was developed as Britain’s response to the growing threat of the Soviet Navy and its submarine fleet which could be found in and around UK waters.

The prototype G.R.1 was later re-designated as a Marine Reconnaissance MR.1 and differed from the later production variants in so far as it featured gun turrets and the capability for air-to-air refuelling.

Initially, it was produced as the Type 696 Lincoln ASR3 for RAF Coastal Command and was evolved predominantly from the Avro Lincoln, although it also drew on a number of Avro Tudor assemblies.

The MR.1 featured a chin-mounted, search radar as well as two 20mm cannon in the nose. Two more cannons were sited in a mid-upper dorsal turret as well as two 0.5in machine guns in the tail. Engine power was provided by a pair of Griffon 57A engines (inboard) and a pair of Griffon 57 engines (outboard).

Later, and upon entering RAF Service in 1951 with the RAF, its name was changed to Avro Shackleton after the polar explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton.

Production statistics comprised three prototypes, followed by 29 MR.1 and 48 MR.1A with four Griffon 57A engines (and wider outboard nacelles).

The aircraft recorded significant improvements on previous Avro designs, most crucially with its increased patrol range of up to 3,000 nautical miles as well as featuring the capacity to install large amounts of newly-developed electronic surveillance equipment within the fuselage.

The MR.2 (WB833) first flew on 17th June 1952 and carried a number of improvements initially conceived for the MR.1 such as a more streamlined nose and an improved radar installation, changing to a retractable ‘dustbin’ radome mounted under the fuselage aft of the bomb bay. The nose and tail gun armament were deleted although the mid-upper turret was initially retained (but deleted from all aircraft once in service). Twin retractable tail-wheels replaced the original single wheel fixed unit. 59 MR.2 were ordered, supplemented by 10 aircraft from the MR.1 production that were completed as MR.2s.

The final variant of the type was the Avro 716 Shackleton MR.3, the first of which (WR970) flew on 2nd September 1955. The MR.3 was another redesign in response to crew feedback and introduced a tricycle undercarriage with twin mainwheels, a revised wing planform and wing-tip fuel tanks. The overall dimensions of the fuselage were increased with new wings featuring improved ailerons and the capability for the use of tip tanks. The cockpit and crew sections were also fitted with better sound insulation and those aircraft destined for 15-hour patrols were equipped with a galley and sleeping accommodation.

Twin nose-mounted 20mm cannon were reintroduced on the MR.3 variant whilst the mid-upper turret being deleted. On the plus-side, provision was made for the under-wing carriage of rockets or sonobuoys.

Normal power was provided by four Rolls-Royce Griffon 27A engines driving contra-rotating propellers although in the case of the Shackleton MR.3 – Phase 3, a pair of 2,500 lbst Rolls-Royce Viper 203 turbojets were added to improve take-off performance with one Viper installed at the rear of each outboard engine nacelle.

Eight Shackleton MR.3 were purchased for use by the South African Air Force in 1953 in order to monitor Soviet vessels in the sea lanes around the Cape of Good Hope where they also carried out a number of search and rescue missions.

Production of the MR.3 comprised 34 aircraft for the RAF and 8 for the SAAF whilst a number of MR.1 and MR.1A aircraft were modified for use as radio and navigation trainers with the designation Shackleton T. Mk.4.

The long endurance of the Shackleton was demonstrated at the 1960 SBAC Show at Farnborough, when, on each day of the show, an aircraft took off at the start of the flying display, to return a full twenty-four hours later.

Like the Anson and the Vulcan, the Shackleton was destined to have an extremely long service life with the last aircraft being retired in 1991, forty-two years after the first flight of the prototype. The MR.3 aircraft operated at significantly increased gross weight and because of this it suffered a reduced fatigue life.

When a gap in the UK’s Airborne Early Warning (AEW) capability emerged (due to problems with the proposed Nimrod AEW and an inevitable delay before the Boeing E-3 Sentry could be introduced), the decision was taken to modify the Shackleton MR.2 to undertake the AEW role. Twelve Shackleton AEW.2 conversions were carried out at Woodford and Bitteswell, the first (WL745) flying on 30th September 1971. These aircraft retained the tailwheel configuration and carried an AN/APS-20 search radar (taken from redundant Fairey Gannet AEW3 aircraft) mounted in a distinctive radome, mounted below the forward fuselage.

A grand total of 181 Shackleton aircraft were built, comprising three prototypes, seventy-seven MR.1/1A, fifty-nine MR.2, thirty-four MR.3 and eight additional MR3 aircraft for the SAAF.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

baesystems.com

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: