Blackburn Shark

Torpedero británico
British torpedo bomber


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(Blackburn Shark III)
TECHNICAL DATA
(Blackburn Shark III)
TIPO:Biplano de reconocimiento/torpedero de dos/tres plazas. TYPE:Two/three-seat torpedo/reconnaissance biplane.
TRIPULANTES:2-3 CREW:2-3
ENVERGADURA:14’02 m. SPAN:46 ft.
LONGITUD:10’74 m. LENGTH:35.3 ft.
ALTURA:3’68 m. HEIGHT:12.1 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:45’43 m². WING AREA:489 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:1.832 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:4.039 lb.
MOTOR:(Mk II) Un motor de 760 caballos Armstrong Siddeley Tiger VI. ENGINE:(Mk II) One 760-hp Armstrong Siddeley Tiger VI radial engine.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Una ametralladora a proa de 7’7 mm.
  • Una ametralladora de 7’7 mm. en montaje escamoteable en la parte posterior de la carlinga.
  • Un torpedo de 680 kg o peso equivalente de bombas.

ARMAMENT:

  • One fixed forward-firing 0.303in machine-gun.
  • One 0.303in machine gun on flexible mount in rear cockpit.
  • One 1,500lb torpedo or equivalent weight in bombs.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:241 km/h. MAX. SPEED:150 mph.
TECHO:4.875 m. CEILING:16,000 ft.
ALCANCE:1006 km. RANGE:625 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:26 de agosto de 1933. FIRST FLIGHT:26 August 1933.
VERSIONES:6 VERSIONS:6
CONSTRUIDOS:269 BUILT:269

Llegado al final de una distinguida línea de biplanos torpederos de Blackburn que había servido en el Fleet Air Arm, el Shark mantuvo la gran reputación de sus predecesores, el Dart, Ripon y Baffin.

Su origen se inició como proyecto privado para cumplir la Especificación S.15/33 y estaba basado en el prototypo de Blackburn M.1/30A, que voló por vez primera el 24 de febrero de 1933. El prototipo del Shark, conocido como B-6, voló el 26 de agosto del mismo año en Brough y fue trasladado al Centro Experimental de Aviación y Armamento de Martlesham Heath para realizar pruebas el 26 de noviembre de 1933. Las pruebas de apontaje en el HMS Courageous a inicios del año siguiente fueron exitosas y se firmó un contrato con un pedido de 16 aparatos para el Fleet Air Arm en agosto de 1934.

Para las siguientes pruebas se instalaron en el prototipo dos flotadores gemelos y se probó en Brough en abril de 1935, realizando más pruebas en la mar con éxito en Felixstowe. Más contratos se sucedieron, llegando a 238 el número de Shark entregados por Blackburn en los tres años de producción del aparato. En el Fleet Air Arm sirvió tanto en su configuración terrestre como en la de hidro. Los Shark del primer lote de producción fueron destinados a la Escuadrilla Nº 820 de Gosport a inicios de 1935, para sustituir a sus Fairey Seal a bordo del HMS Courageous.

El Shark I, al igual que el prototipo, usaba un motor de 700 caballos Armstrong Siddeley Tiger VI, pero el último avión del primer lote fue usado para mejoras instalándole un motor Tiger VI de 760 caballos, que fue probado en vuelo durante 100 horas mediante relevos de pilotos en poco más de siete días. Este motor fue usado en el Shark II, cuya producción comenzó en 1936. Para la siguiente variante de producción, el Shark III, ya se disponía de un motor alternativo, un Bristol Pegasus III de 800 caballos. Noventa y cinco Shark III fueron entregados entre abril de 1937 y el final de año.

Conforme los Shark eran reemplazados por los Fairey Swordfish, se relegaban a tareas de segunda línea excepto un grupo de ellos, convertidos en remolcadores de blancos en varias partes del país.

Seis hidros Shark IIA fueron comprados por la marina portuguesa y se entregaron en marzo de 1936. Su motor era un Armstrong Siddeley Tiger VIC y sirvieron durante varios años en tareas de defensa costera.

Otro comprador foráneo del Shark fue Canadá, que adquirió siete Shark II para la Royal Canadian Air Force en 1936. Tal fue su éxito, que Boeing Aircraft de Canadá, subsidiaria de la compañía norteamericana, consiguió una licencia para fabricar en Vancouver 17 Shark III dotados de motor Bristol Pegasus IX de 840 caballos, Estas unidades sirvieron hasta 1944, momento de su retiro. Cinco aparatos fueron transferidos en junio de ese año a la British Air Observers School, donde sirvieron bien, aunque sin distinción.



Coming at the end of a distinguished line of Blackburn torpedo biplanes which had served with the Fleet Air Arm, the Shark upheld the high reputation of its predecessors, the Dart, Ripon and Baffin.

Begun as a private venture to meet Specification S.15/33, the aircraft was based on the company’s M.1/30A prototype, first flown on 24 February 1933. The Shark prototype, known as the B-6, flew on 26 August 1933 at Brough and was flown to the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment, Martlesham Heath, for testing on 26 November 1933. Deck landing trials aboard HMS Courageous early the following year were successful and a contract for 16 aircraft was placed for the Fleet Air Arm in August 1934.

The prototype was fitted with twin floats and flown at Brough the following April, and successful sea trial took place from Felixstowe. Further contracts followed, and during the three-year production run Blackburn delivered 238 Sharks to the Fleet Air Arm, with which the Shark served in both landplane and seaplane configurations. Sharks from the first production batch went to No. 820 Squadron at Gosport early in 1935, replacing the squadron’s Fairey Seals aboard HMS Courageous.

Shark Is, like the prototype, used the 700-hp Armstrong Siddeley Tiger VI engine but the last aircraft in the first production batch was used for development flying with the uprated Tiger VI developing 760hp, 100 hours being flown by relays of pilots in just over seven days. This engine was used in the Shark II, production of which began in 1936, and an alternative engine was available for the next production variant, the Skark III, in the form of the 800-hp Bristol Pegasus III engine. Ninety-five Sharks IIIs were delivered between April 1937 and the end of the year.

As Sharks were replaced by the Fairey Swordfish, they were relagated to second-line duties and a number were converted for target towing in various parts of the country.

Six Shark IIA floatplanes were purchased by the Portuguese navy and delivered in March 1936; powered by 700-hp Armstrong Siddeley Tiger VIC, they served for several years on coastal defence duties.

The other only overseas customer for the Shark was Canada, and seven Shark IIs were bought for the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1936. Such was their success that Boeing Aircraft of Canada, a subsidiary of the American company, secured an agreement for licence production at Vancouver and 17 Shark IIIs were fitted with the 840-hp Bristol Pegasus IX engine and served until 1944, when they were withdrawn. Five were transferred in June of that year to the British Air Observers School at Trinidad, where they served faithfully if without distinction.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

David Mondey, The Hamlyn Concise Guide to British Aircraft of World War II, Chancellor Press, s/a.

©jmodels.net