jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

Boeing B-47 Stratojet

Bombardero norteamericano
U.S. bomber


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Bombardero estratégico y avión de reconocimiento. TYPE:Strategic bomber and reconnaissance aircraft.
TRIPULANTES:3 CREW:3
ENVERGADURA:35’37 m. SPAN:116 ft.
LONGITUD:32’65 m. LENGTH:107.1 ft.
ALTURA:8’54 m. HEIGHT:28 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:132’7 m². WING AREA:1,428 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:35.867 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:79,074 lb.
MOTOR:Seis turborreactores General Electric J47-GE-25 de 32 kN de empuje cada uno. ENGINE:Six General Electric J47-GE-25 turbojets, 7,200 lbf. (32 kN.) each.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Dos cañones automáticos de 20 mm. M24A1 a cola controlados remotamente.
  • Hasta 11.000 kg. de bombas (Atómicas: 2 Mk15, o bien 4 B28, o bien 1 B41, o bien 1 B53. Convencionales: 28 bombas de 227 kg.)
ARMAMENT:

  • Two 20 mm (0.787 in) M24A1 autocannons in a remote controlled tail turret.
  • 25,000 lb (11,000 kg) of ordnance. (Atomic: Two Mk15, or four B28, or one B41, or one B53. Conventional: 28 500 lb (227 kg) bombs).
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:977 km/h. MAX. SPEED:607 mph.
TECHO:12.300 m. CEILING:40,500 ft.
ALCANCE:7.478 km. RANGE:4,647 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:17 de diciembre de 1947. FIRST FLIGHT:17 December 1947.
VERSIONES:27 VERSIONS:27
CONSTRUIDOS::2.032 (Todos los modelos). BUILT:2,032 (All variants).

El B-47 surgió de una solicitud de las Fuerzas Aéreas del Ejército Estadounidense (USAAF) para la obtención de un bombardero y avión de reconocimiento a reacción, que se transformó en un concurso oficial al año siguiente. La solicitud especificaba una velocidad de 805 km/h. o más, una autonomía de 5.635 km., un techo de 12’2 km. y el empleo del turborreactor General Electric TG-180, que por entonces estaba en desarrollo.

North American, Convair y Boeing remitieron propuestas. La primera propuesta de Boeing, el Modelo 424, fue enviada en enero de 1944. Se trataba de una transformación en reactor de un bombardero de hélice y alas rectas convencionales, básicamente una versión reducida de un Boeing B-29 Superfortress, con cuatro turborreactores TG-180 instalados en soportes dobles en cada ala. El Comité Nacional Asesor para la Aeronáutica (NACA, antecesor de la actual NASA) llevó a cabo pruebas en túnel de viento de un modelo de este diseño, o más concretamente de un compuesto de los diseños enviados por los fabricantes, ya que los tres modelos propuestos eran parecidos.

En ese momento la guerra en Europa iba ya camino de su final. El General “Hap” Arnold, comandante de la USAAF, solicitó al prestigioso exiliado húngaro y experto en aerodinámica Theodore von Karman, del Instituto de Tecnología de California, que formase un comité de científicos norteamericanos para ir a Europa y examinar la tecnología alemana capturada. El resultado fue la creación del Grupo Asesor Científico. Uno de sus miembros era el experto en aerodinámica de Boeing George Schairer. Durante su visita a Alemania Schairer examinó los datos obtenidos por los fabricantes aeronáuticos alemanes acerca de las ventajas de las alas en flecha, quedando tan convencido de las ventajas de tal configuración, que escribió una carta a la dirección de Boeing en mayo de 1945 sugiriendo investigar el tema.

Mientras tanto, la USAAF había dado contratos de estudio a los tres fabricantes que trabajaban en el proyecto de bombardero, así como a la compañía Martin, que también había decidido competir en él.

Las pruebas en el túnel de viento del NACA demostraron que el Modelo 424 ofrecía demasiada resistencia al avance. Los ingenieros de Boeing lograron un nuevo diseño, el Modelo 432, que mantenía las alas rectas, pero tenía cuatro motores instalados en la parte delantera del fuselaje. Aunque este modelo tenía ventajas estructurales, la disposición de sus motores no reducía mucho la resistencia. Los ingenieros de Boeing recurrieron entonces a los datos sobre las alas en flecha conseguidos de los alemanes y favorecidos por Schairer. Un pequeño cambio en el diseño llevado a cabo por el experto en aerodinámica de Boeing Vic Ganzer logró retrasar las alas hasta unos óptimos 35 grados.

Seguidamente Boeing modificó el Modelo 432 con alas y superficies de cola en flecha, dando lugar al Modelo 448. Este modelo aún llevaba cuatro TG-180 en su fuselaje delantero como el Modelo 432, más otros dos en su cola. El director de proyectos de la compañía, George Martin, había decidido que la propuesta para la competición del bombardero necesitaba una autonomía y prestaciones mayores, lo que supuso instalar seis en lugar de cuatro motores. Boeing remitió el Modelo 448 a la USAAF en octubre de 1945, y fue inmediatamente rechazado. La Fuerza Aérea desaprobó la instalación de motores en el fuselaje, ya que suponía que cualquier incendio o estallido resultaría catastrófico. Los motores tendrían que volver a colocarse en las alas.

Esto volvía a llevar al problema de la resistencia, pero el equipo de ingenieros logró una solución limpia y elegante a la vez, colocando los motores en góndolas alargadas bajo las alas. Esta innovación supuso el Modelo 450, que llevaba dos TG-180 montados en un soporte colocado en torno a un tercio del borde exterior de cada ala, más otro por debajo de la punta alar.

A la Fuerza Aérea le agradó la nueva configuración y así Boeing continuó refinando el diseño. El tren de aterrizaje suponía un problema. No había espacio para el tren en el interior de las finas alas, e intentar instalar un tren de triciclo convencional en el fuselaje daría al traste con el alargado diseño del avión y rebajaría sus prestaciones. Además, La USAAF empezó a insistir en que el avión debía ser capaz de transportar una bomba atómica. Como tal arma era muy pesada entonces, esto significaba que habría que instalar una bodega alargada, limitando aún más el espacio para el tren. La solución fue un tren “de bicicleta”, con dos trenes de ruedas dispuestos en tándem en lugar de pareados.

La USAAF estaba muy satisfecha con el Modelo 450 mejorado y en abril de 1946 solicitó dos prototipos, que serían designados XB-47. Su montaje se inició en junio de dicho año. Las personas involucradas en el proyecto andaban muy exaltadas, ya que creían (como luego sucedió), que trabajaban en una innovación importante en el campo del diseño aeronáutico. Sin embargo, tal entusiasmo no era compartido por el resto de la compañía Boeing, que en general mostraba un amplio desinterés hacia este avión, considerado tan futurista, que era depreciado al resultar aparentemente poco práctico para su uso operativo. Las imágenes de la salida de fábrica del primer XB-47 muestran apenas unos cientos de espectadores. El avión recibió el denominativo de Stratojet, pero nunca nadie lo llamó así en la práctica. De hecho, nunca recibiría ningún apodo que llegase a perdurar durante su carrera.

El primer XB-47 hizo su primer vuelo el 17 de diciembre de 1947, justo en el 44º aniversario del primer vuelo de los hermanos Wright, pilotado por los probadores Robert Robbins y Scott Osler. El aparato voló desde Boeing Field en Seattle hasta el Aeródromo Moses Lake en la zona central del estado de Washington en un recorrido de 52 minutos. Robbins informó que las características de vuelo del avión eran adecuadas.

Las alas en flecha a 35 grados del XB-47 iban montadas en la zona superior del fuselaje con los dos turborreactores internos montados en un soporte y dentro de una góndola de líneas muy limpias, y los motores externos casi en los extremos de las puntas alares.

La cuerda de la sección de las superficies alares poseía una relación altura-longitud de 11. Esta inusual delgadez era necesaria para conseguir altas velocidades, sin embargo la flexibilidad del ala era un problema. Podía doblarse un máximo de 1’5 m. hacia arriba o abajo, y se realizaron grandes esfuerzos para que se mantuviese el control del vuelo cuando las alas se doblaban. Finalmente, la mayor parte de estas preocupaciones no tuvieron fundamento. Las alas llevaban un conjunto de aletas que se extendían muy por detrás de las mismas, conocidas como “aletas Fowler” para ayudar en los despegues.

El tren de aterrizaje de bicicleta, que la delgadez del ala obligaba a emplear, consistía en un par de grandes ruedas por delante y por detrás de la bodega de bombas, complementadas por pequeñas ruedas estabilizadoras situadas en las góndolas de los motores.

Las prestaciones del Modelo 450 se proyectaron para que el bombardero fuese tan veloz como los cazas que por entonces estaban diseñándose, por ello el único armamento defensivo habría de ser una torre a cola con dos ametralladoras Browning de 12’7 mm. dirigidas en principio por un sistema de disparo automático guiado por radar. Los dos XB-47 no recibieron la torre de popa, ya que eran aparatos de pruebas y de hecho no se les instaló ningún armamento.

La capacidad de combustible era de 64.400 litros, enorme comparada con los 19.000 litros del B-29. Esto significaba que sería crítico mantener el consumo de combustible lo más posible para así asegurar un centro de gravedad estable en vuelo.

Los primeros prototipos llevaron turborreactores GE J35, versión de serie del TG-180, de 17’66 kN (1.800 kgp.) de empuje cada uno. Los primeros turborreactores no tenía un buen empuje a baja velocidad, por ello para ayudar en los despegues a máxima carga, el XB-47 llevaría 18 cohetes JATO (cohetes de combustible sólido de ayuda al despegue) de 4’41 kN (450 kgp.) de empuje cada uno. Nueve de ellos iban incorporados a cada lado de la zona posterior del fuselaje, dispuestos en tres filas de tres unidades.

Igualmente, el gran peso del avión y la ausencia de reversores de empuje provocaban una gran velocidad en las tomas. A finales de las pruebas de vuelo, y siguiendo una sugerencia del piloto probador Mayor Guy Townsend, se introdujo un paracaídas de frenado de 9’75 m. para desacelerar el avión en tierra. Un paracaídas convencional se hubiese hecho jirones, por ello se empleaba en su lugar uno de cinta derivado de diseños alemanes. Un problema relacionado fue que los motores del avión deberían ser desacelerados en las aproximaciones a tierra. Como llevaba unos 20 segundos volverlos a poner a plena potencia, el enorme avión no podría realizar la maniobra de tocar y rebotar en tierra, para posteriormente realizar un vuelo circular e intentar aterrizar de nuevo si algo iba mal. Por ello, se añadió un segundo paracaídas de la mitad de diámetro, que se desplegaría en la aproximación para que los motores pudieran acelerarse hasta que el piloto sintiera que la toma era segura.

El XB-47 estaba diseñado para llevar sus tripulantes en un compartimiento delantero presurizado. Estos eran un piloto y copiloto, situados bajo una cubierta alargada en forma de burbuja similar a la de un caza, y un navegante, alojado en un compartimiento en el morro. El copiloto hacía también las veces de artillero de cola y el navegante de bombardero. La cubierta de burbuja podía subir y desplazarse hacia detrás, pero como la carlinga estaba a mucha altura sobre el suelo, el acceso de los tripulantes se realizaba a través de una escotilla con escalera bajo el morro. La capacidad total de bombas era de 4’5 toneladas. Los aviones de serie se equiparían con sistemas electrónicos de navegación, bombardeo, contramedidas y control de disparo de su torre avanzados para su tiempo.

El segundo XB-47 voló por vez primera el 21 de julio de 1948, equipado con los más potentes motores GE J47-GE-3 de 23’54 kN (2.400 kgp.) de empuje cada uno. El J47 o TG-190 era un derivado mejorado del motor J35/TG-180. El primer prototipo recibió también estos motores posteriormente.

A mediados de 1948, la competición del bombardero de la Fuerza Aérea había tenido ya un primer acto en la prueba comparativa del North American XB-45 con el Convair XB-46. La propuesta de North American ganó esta primera fase de la competición, y como medida provisional la USAF había decidido fabricar el XB-45 en número reducido con la denominación de B-45 Tornado. Las expectativas eran que la fabricación del B-45 terminaría si alguno de los restantes diseños propuestos, el Boeing XB-47 y el Martin XB-48, demostraba su superioridad.

El 3 de septiembre de 1948 se firmó un contrato para la fabricación de diez B-47A. En realidad eran aviones de evaluación cuyo primer ejemplar se entregó en diciembre de 1950. La configuración del B-47A era muy parecida a los prototipos iniciales XB-47. Llevaban turborreactores J47-GE-11 de idéntico empuje (23’54 kN, 2.400 kgp.) que los motores J47-GE-3 anteriores y llevaban también contenedores JATO incorporados.

A cuatro B-47A se les instaló el sistema K-2 de bombardeo y navegación (BNS), con piloto automático HD-21D, ordenador analógico, radar AN/APS-23 y mira de bombardeo Y-4 o bien Y-4A. Dos B-47A llevaron también instalada la torre de cola, uno de ellos empleaba el sistema de control de disparo (FCS) Emerson A-2 y el otro la versión anterior GE A-5. Los otros ocho B-47 no llevaban armamento defensivo. También se les instaló asientos eyectables. El piloto y copiloto salían hacia arriba y el navegador era lanzado hacia abajo. La altitud mínima de seguridad para salir eyectado era de unos 150 m.

Aunque los XB-47 se habían fabricado en la planta de Boeing de Seattle (Washington), los B-47A y los siguientes B-47 de serie fueron fabricados en la factoría del gobierno situada en Wichita (Kansas), donde la compañía había montado los B-29 en el pasado. El cambio fue realizado debido a que la planta de Seattle estaba atestada con la fabricación del KC-97 y otros pedidos urgentes y también porque la Fuerza Aérea consideró que Seattle resultaba demasiado vulnerable a un bombardeo soviético.

La mayoría de B47A estaban retirados del servicio a inicios de 1952, aunque uno de ellos continuó realizando vuelos de prueba para NACA durante algunos años más. Mientras la Fuerza Aérea ponía a punto los B-47, la Guerra Fría estaba llegando a su cénit con el estallido de la guerra en Corea. El Mando Aéreo Estratégico (SAC) necesitaba una barrera nuclear que mantuviese a la URSS a raya. El B-47 era una herramienta excelente para ello y Boeing trabajaba ya en la producción en serie.

Tras una serie de contratos preliminares para fabricar el B-47 en noviembre de 1949, antes incluso del primer vuelo de B-47A, la Fuerza Aérea había pedido 87 B-47B, primera variante operativa. El primer B-47B voló el 26 de abril de 1951. Se fabricaron 399, incluidos ocho que fueron montados por Lockheed y diez que lo fueron por Douglas empleando piezas fabricadas por Boeing. La USAF estaba impaciente por empezar a usar los B-47 tan pronto como fuese posible, por ello añadió a Lockheed y Douglas como cooperadores en la producción. Las unidades fabricadas por Lockheed fueron designadas con el sufijo “-LM (Lockheed Marietta)” y las producidas por Douglas con el de “-DT (Douglas Tulsa)”. La producción de Boeing fue designada con el de “-BW (Boeing Wichita)”, excepto los XB-47 fabricados en Seattle y los B-47A, que recibieron el de “-BO”.

El lote inicial de 87 B-47B llevaba los mismos motores J47-GE-11 de los B-47A, pero todos los siguientes aviones de serie incorporaron el modelo bastante más potente J47-GE-23 de 25’8 kN (2.630 kgp.) de empuje cada uno. También llevaron el sistema JATO incorporado empleado en el XB-47 y B-47A.

Todos los B-47B llevaban sus sistemas de armamento completos. Las unidades iniciales mantuvieron el sistema K-2 de bombardeo y navegación que se había instalado en algunos B-47A, pero la mayoría de los fabricados llevaron el sistema K-4A, con radar de alerta AN/APS-54 y sistema de contramedidas electrónicas AN/APT-5. El K-4A empleaba una mira telescópica instalada en la punta del morro del avión. El morro de plexiglás transparente del XB-47 y B-47A fue sustituido por otro de metal. Había cuatro pequeñas ventanillas en el lado de babor y dos a estribor. Otro cambio perceptible respecto a modelos precedentes era que el B-47B poseía una aleta de cola cuadrada en su parte superior en lugar de redondeada como sus predecesores.

La bodega de bombas del B-47B era más corta que la del XB-47 y B-47A, dado que el armamento nuclear que se fabricaba por entonces tenía menores dimensiones. Sin embargo, el B-47B podía llevar una carga mucho mayor, de hasta 8.165 kg. Todos los B-47B llevaron la torre a cola con ametralladoras de 12’7 mm. y el sistema de tiro guiado por radar B-4. Este sistema dio problemas, tantos que en algunos aviones fue reemplazado por una mira óptica N-6. El copiloto podía rotar su asiento hacia detrás para apuntar las armas.

En la práctica, la enorme capacidad de combustible del B-47 no era aún suficiente para darle la autonomía que la Fuerza Aérea deseaba y de hecho entre algunos altos mandos había habido críticas hacia el avión por la escasa autonomía del diseño inicial. La solución de este problema tenía la máxima prioridad, y por ello se instaló en el lado derecho del morro un receptáculo de repostaje en vuelo. Ese fue el principal motivo del cambio del morro de plexiglás. El B-47B también llevó instalados dos depósitos de combustible desechables en el espacio intermedio entre los motores. Se trataba de dos grandes depósitos desechables con una capacidad de 6.750 litros.

El B-47 B sufrió un considerable aumento de peso respecto al B-47A, por ello, y como medida para reducirlo, se suprimieron los asientos eyectables y se instaló un panel cortaviento en la escotilla principal para facilitar la salida. Algunas fuentes aseguran que un accidente mortal con asiento eyectable causó esta decisión. Sea como fuere, la supresión de los asientos eyectables no fue bien acogido por los tripulantes, ya que saltar del avión incluso a mucha altura resultaba difícil.

Las denominaciones de B-47C y B-47D se aplicaron a modelos especiales que no llegaron a producirse y por ello, la siguiente y última versión de serie del B-47 fue el B-47E.

El primer B-47E realizó su primer vuelo el 30 de enero de 1953. Se fabricaron cuatro “bloques” o “fases” del B-47E, cada una de ellas con mejoras respecto al bloque o lote anterior, e incluso a veces con cambios de serie dentro del mismo bloque. Los lotes más antiguos normalmente se actualizaban respecto a los más modernos conforme estos se terminaban.

Los B-47E-I iniciales llevaron turborreactores J47-GE-25 de 26’59 kN (2.710 kgp.) cada uno, pero rápidamente se actualizaron con el modelo J47-GE-25A, que incorporaba un gran avance en la forma de inyectar el compuesto agua-metanol. El sistema inyectaba la mezcla en los motores al despegue, incrementando el flujo y el empuje temporalmente hasta los 32’03 kN (3.265 kgp.). El metanol se añadía al agua como anticongelante. La inyección de agua provocaba que los motores dejasen escapar humo negro, sin dudad a causa de la combustión incompleta del combustible, con un rugido atronador.

La introducción de la inyección de agua-metanol reducía la necesidad de emplear cohetes JATO. Estos eran caros y tenían sus riesgos, pero se reservarían para alertas de emergencia, cuando los bombarderos tuvieran que despegar lo más rápido posible. Esta operación se realizaba más o menos cada año como entrenamiento. Los primeros B-47E-Is podían llevar 18 recipientes JATO incorporados, si bien había preocupación al situar dichos contenedores tan próximos a los depósitos de combustible a plena carga. Al no emplearse casi nunca, el sistema JATO fue suprimido y sustituido por un soporte externo lanzable situado bajo la parte posterior del fuselaje. Este soporte llevaba 33 recipientes JATO en tres hileras de 11 unidades. Los soportes eran desechables y eran arrojados tras el despegue en zonas planeadas de antemano.

La capacidad de combustible de la serie inicial fue reducida a 55.371 litros para reducir peso. Se consideraba aceptable por los grandes depósitos externos y debido al hecho de que la USAF había mejorado el repostaje en vuelo hasta el punto de hacerlo fiable como operación rutinaria.

Un cambio especialmente apreciado respecto al B-47B fue la instalación de los asientos eyectables otra vez. Los altos mando de la Fuerza Aérea habían reconsiderado la decisión de suprimirlos y reconocieron que no tenía sentido. Además, las ametralladoras dobles de 12’7 mm. de cola fueron reemplazadas por cañones gemelos de 20 mm., reforzados por el sistema de control de disparo A-5 en la serie inicial y MD-4 en las unidades posteriores.

Un último cambio en el B-47E fue la supresión de la mayoría de ventanillas del morro, quedando sólo una a cada lado. Sin embargo, muchas imágenes muestran aviones con las mismas ventanillas que las del B-47B. No está claro si su número cambió a lo largo de la fabricación del B-47E o si se trata de B-47B actualizados a B-47E.

El B-47E-II tenía sólo cambios menores respecto a los últimos ejemplares del B-47E-I. El B-47E-III llevaba equipo ECM, compuesto de un interferidor de radar situado en un abultamiento bajo el fuselaje, más un lanzador de señuelos y alternadores eléctricos mejorados.

El B-47E-IV resultó un avance mucho más importante. Llevaba un tren de aterrizaje más fuerte, estructura reforzada, más capacidad de combustible y una carga de bombas aumentada a 11.340 kg., si bien la bodega fue acortada una vez más al introducirse armas nucleares más compactas.

Otra mejora fue la introducción del sistema de navegación y bombardeo MA-7A, un cambio muy relevante respecto a sus predecesores. El sistema se componía de un radar AN/APS-64, con un alcance de 385 km. Este radar se podía emplear como identificador amigo-enemigo de larga distancia, que permitía al B-47E-IV encontrar un avión cisterna o a otro B-47, o bien se podía usar como radar de alta resolución para la adquisición de blancos en tierra. El B-47E-IV mantuvo la mira óptica, si bien apenas se empleaba.

Se fabricó un total de 1.341 B-47E, 691 los produjo Boeing, 386 Lockheed y 264 Douglas. La mayor parte de los B-47B fueron actualizados al modelo B-47E en dos programas consecutivos, denominados High Noon y Ebb Tide. Se les denominó B-47B-II, aunque en la práctica se les llamaba simplemente B-47E.

El B-47E también sirvió de base para algunos modelos de reconocimiento de largo alcance. Boeing-Wichita fabricó 240 RB-47E, similares al B-47E pero con un alargamiento de su morro de 86 cm., que les daba un aspecto más elegante que el del bombardero. Este alargamiento servía para la instalación de hasta 11 cámaras.

El RB-47E podía transportar bengalas para realizar fotos nocturnas. Aunque podía ser repostado en vuelo, su capacidad de combustible se incrementó hasta los 70.000 litros. El navegante controlaba las cámaras, convirtiéndose en “navegante-fotógrafo” en lugar de “navegante-bombardero”.

Un total de 32 RB-47H se fabricaron para misiones de inteligencia electrónica (ELINT), junto con tres ERB-47H especializados. Estos aviones poseían un morro característico, más romo y redondeado, con abultamientos y contenedores de antenas y equipo de inteligencia. Eran empleados para probar las defensas enemigas y recoger datos de señales de radar y comunicaciones defensivas. El primer RB-47H fue entregado en agosto de 1955. Aunque unos cuantos aviones realizaron misiones especiales durante la Guerra de Vietnam, como recoger datos de drones, fueron sustituidos por los más cómodos y modernos Boeing RC-135. El último RB-47H fue retirado el 29 de diciembre de 1967.

En 1956 la Fuerza Aérea poseía 28 unidades compuestas de 1.306 B-47 y cinco unidades de reconocimiento compuestas por 254 RB-47, sumando entre ambas 1.560 aviones. Este fue el pico en el número de Stratojet, aunque el número de bombarderos se incrementaría en 1958 hasta los 1.367 y el número de aviones de reconocimiento decrecería a los 176. Los B-47 iban armados con armas nucleares de caída libre Mk 28, Mk 36, Mk 42, Mk 53 y B43. A los Stratojet se les daba una capa de pintura blanca por debajo para ayudar a reflejar el resplandor de la explosión nuclear, si bien la parte superior del avión iba en metal natural.

Los bombarderos eran la primera línea de la barrera nuclear estratégica de los EE.U., muchos de ellos basados en el Reino Unido, Marruecos, España Alaska y Guam. El despliegue en ultramar de unidades completas se inició en 1953 e implicaba rotaciones de 90 días de duración. A menudo se establecía una secuencia de un tercio de bombarderos en alerta con los aviones en la pista cargados de combustible y armamento nuclear, y sus tripulantes en espera, listos para despegar al instante en un ataque masivo contra la URSS.

A las tripulaciones también se las entrenaba para realizar despegues a intervalos mínimos (MITO), donde un bombardero seguía a otro a intervalos de 15 segundos, de modo que todos los bombarderos se pusiesen en camino en el menor tiempo posible. Los MITO podía resultar muy arriesgados, ya que los aviones dejaban turbulencias y, debido a la inyección de agua-metanol, un humo negro denso que cegaba a los pilotos del avión siguiente.

En 1956, cuando el número de Stratojet estaba en su punto más alto, el Mando Aéreo Estratégico (SAC) realizó dos ejercicios (Operation Power House y Operation Road Block) que pusieron a más de 1.000 B-47 y KC-97 en el aire para intimidar a la URSS. Al parecer los B-47 incluso realizaron misiones de entrenamiento en las que penetraban el espacio aéreo soviético en cierto número. Los hechos relatados en estas misiones siguen siendo controvertidos, ya que algunas fuentes aseguran que el comandante del SAC General Curtiss LeMay ordenó realizarlos sin el conocimiento o aprobación del Presidente.

A finales de los años 50, las prácticas operativas de los B-47 cambiaron del bombardero a alta cota al ataque a baja altura, que se creía más apropiado para penetrar las defensas soviéticas. Los tripulantes de bombarderos era entrenados en ataques sorpresa (bajando a escasa cota y luego trepando abruptamente al acercarse al objetivo antes de lanzar el arma nuclear) y el procedimiento de bombardeo similar denominado “de tirada” en el cual el avión lanzaba la bomba mientras ascendía para luego girar alejándose de la zona del objetivo antes de que el artefacto detonase.

Los únicos B-47 que lograron ver algo parecido a un combate fueron los modelos de reconocimiento. Operaron casi desde cualquier aeródromo que les diese acceso directo a la URSS y a menudo pusieron a prueba el espacio aéreo soviético. A veces hacían surgir más problemas de los que podían afrontar y pagaban el precio por ello. Las historias se mantenían en secreto por largo tiempo y a las familias de los tripulantes fallecidos se les decía que habían sufrido un accidente mortal indeterminado. Los hechos comenzaron a conocerse de verdad sólo a partir de los años 90.

El primer sobrevuelo de territorio soviético realizado por un RB-47 tuvo lugar el 15 de octubre de 1952, cuando un RB-47B (simplemente un B-47B estándar convertido en avión de reconocimiento diurno) que volaba desde Alaska, sobrevoló varios aeródromos soviéticos en Siberia Oriental. Los soviéticos reunieron varios MiG-15 para interceptarlo, pero el veloz RB-47B salió ileso. Al parecer los soviéticos destituyeron al comandante de la defensa aérea de la región.

El último enfrentamiento conocido entre los MiG y los RB-47 tuvo lugar el 27 de abril de 1965, cuando un ERB-47H fue interceptado por MiG-17 norcoreanos sobre el Mar de Japón. Los MiG dispararon sobre el ERB-47H, pero este pudo llegar a la base de Yokota en Japón con dos motores averiados.

Además de los aviones de serie, hubo un buen número de conversiones y extrañas modificaciones especiales en el devenir del B-47. La Fuerza Aérea había considerado fabricar el modelo especializado de reconocimiento RB-47B para complementar al bombardero B-47B. Como medida provisional antes de que el RB-47E entrase en servicio, 24 B-47B fueron dotados de un contenedor calefactado con 8 cámaras que iba instalado en la parte delantera de la bodega de bombas, siendo designados estos aviones como RB-47B. Eran capaces sólo de realizar misiones de reconocimiento diurno y, como ya se ha mencionado, fueron los primeros RB-47 en sobrevolar el espacio aéreo soviético.

Un total de 66 B-47B fueron también convertidos en entrenadores TB-47B simplemente añadiendo un cuarto asiento para el instructor y retirando la torre de cola. Estos aviones proporcionaron un valioso entrenamiento para el exigente B-47 a lo largo de los años 50. Algunos B-47E también fueron convertidos en entrenadores e interferidores de radar.



The B-47 arose from a 1943 US Army Air Forces (USAAF) requirement for a jet bomber and reconnaissance aircraft, which evolved into a formal request the next year. The request specified a speed of 805 km/h. (500 mph.) or more; a range of 5,635 kilometers (3,500 miles); a service ceiling of 12.2 kilometers (40,000 feet); and use of the General Electric TG-180 turbojet engine, then in development.

North American, Convair, and Boeing submitted proposals. The first Boeing proposal, the Model 424, was submitted in January 1944. It was a jet implementation of a conventional straight-wing propeller-driven bomber design, basically a scaled-down version of the Boeing B-29 Superfortress, powered by four TG-180, turbojets fitted in a pod of two engines on each wing. The US National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA, the ancestor of the modern US National Aviation & Space Administration or NASA) performed wind tunnel tests on a model of the design, or more specifically a composite of the designs submitted by the manufacturers, since the three submissions were generally similar.

By this time, the war in Europe was obviously winding to a close. General “Hap” Arnold, head of the USAAF, asked the prestigious expatriate Hungarian aerodynamicist Theodore von Karman, of the California Institute of Technology, to form up a committee of American scientists to go to Europe and examine captured German technology. The result was the Scientific Advisory Group. One of the members was Boeing’s chief aerodynamicist, George Schairer. During his visit to Germany, Schairer examined data obtained by German aircraft manufacturers on the advantages of swept wings, and became so convinced of the merits of such a configuration that in May 1945 he wrote a letter to Boeing management suggesting the matter be investigated.

Meanwhile, the USAAF had awarded study contracts to all three aircraft manufacturers working on the jet bomber project, as well as to the Martin company, which had also decided to join the competition.

The NACA wind tunnel tests showed that Model 424 suffered from excessive drag. Boeing engineers then went to a revised design in April 1944, the Model 432, that retained the straight wings, but had the four engines buried in the forward fuselage. However, although the Model 432 had structural advantages, changing the engine layout didn’t really reduce drag all that much. The Boeing engineers turned to the swept-wing data obtained from the Germans and promoted by Schairer. A little design work by Boeing aerodynamicist Vic Ganzer led to an optimum sweepback of 35 degrees.

Boeing then modified the Model 432 design with swept wings and tail, resulting in the Model 448. The Model 448 still had the four TG-180s in the forward fuselage as had the Model 432, plus two TG-180s buried in the tail. The Boeing project manager, George Martin, had decided that the company’s entry into the bomber competition needed greater range and performance, and that led to six engines instead of four. Boeing submitted the Model 448 to the USAAF in October 1945, only to have it rejected immediately. The Air Force strongly disliked fitting the engines in the fuselage, since that made engine fire or disintegration catastrophic. The engines would have to be moved back out on the wings.

That led right back to the drag problem, but the engineering team came up with a clean, elegant solution, with the engines in streamlined pods attached under the wings. This innovation led to the next iteration, the Model 450, which featured two TG-180s in a single pod mounted on a pylon about a third of the way outboard on each wing, plus another engine slung from the wingtip.

The Air Force liked the new configuration, and so the Boeing team continued to refine it. One problem was landing gear. There was no space for landing gear in the thin wings, and trying to put conventional tricycle landing gear in the fuselage would have ruined the aircraft’s streamlining and degraded its performance. Furthermore, the USAAF was now also insisting that the bomber be able to carry an atomic bomb. Since such weapons were very big at the time, that meant a long bombbay, further limiting space for landing gear. The solution was a “bicycle” landing gear configuration, with the two main gear assemblies arranged in a tandem instead of side-by-side configuration.

The USAAF was very pleased with the refined Model 450 design, and in April 1946 the service ordered two prototypes, to be designated XB-47. Assembly began in June 1946. People involved with the project were very excited, since they believed, correctly as it turned out, they were working on a breakthrough in aircraft design. However, there was a widespread disinterest in the machine through the rest of the Boeing company, it seems partly because it was so futuristic, leading many to dismiss it as a whizzy experimental aircraft that would be impractical for operational use. Pictures of the initial rollout of the first XB-47 prototype show only about a hundred people watching. The aircraft was given the name Stratojet, but nobody ever really called it that in practice. In fact, the bomber would never receive any nickname that stuck through its entire history.

The XB-47 prototype first flew on 17 December 1947, the 44th anniversary of the first flight of the Wright Brothers, with test pilots Robert Robbins and Scott Osler at the controls. The aircraft flew from Boeing Field in Seattle to the Moses Lake Airfield in central Washington state, in a flight that lasted 52 minutes. Robbins reported that the flight characteristics of the aircraft were good.

The XB-47’s 35-degree swept wings were shoulder-mounted, with the twin inboard turbojet engines mounted on a pylon in a very neat pod, and the outboard engine tacked under the wing short of the wingtip.

The airfoil sectional chord had a height-length ratio of 11. This unusual thinness was required to attain high speed, but the wing’s flexibility was a concern. It could flex as much as 1.5 meters (5 feet) up or down, and major effort was expended to ensure that flight control could be maintained as the wing flexed. As it turned out, most of the worries proved unfounded. The wings were fitted with a set of flaps that extended well behind the wing, known as “Fowler flaps”, to assist in take-offs.

The bicycle landing gear dictated by the thin wing consisted of a pair of large wheels fore and aft of the bombbay, with small outrigger wheels carried on the inboard twin-jet pods.

The performance of the Model 450 design was projected to be so good that the bomber would be as fast as fighters then on the drawing board, and so the only defensive armament was to be a tail turret with two 12.7-millimeter (0.50-caliber) Browning machine guns, in principle be directed by a radar-directed automatic fire-control system. The two XB-47s were not fitted with the tail turret, since they were engineering and flight test aircraft, and in fact the prototypes weren’t fitted with any combat gear at all.

Fuel capacity was an enormous 64,400 liters (17,000 US gallons), compared to 19,000 liters (5,000 US gallons) on the B-29. That meant that maintaining fuel trim to ensure a stable center of gravity in flight would be very critical.

The first prototypes were fitted with GE J35 turbojets, the production version of the TG-180, with 17.66 kN (1,800 kgp./3,970 lbf.) thrust each. Early jet engines did not develop good thrust at low speeds, so to assist in take-offs in heavily loaded condition, the XB-47 prototype was to have 18 solid-fuel jet-assisted take off (JATO) rockets with 4.41 kN (450 kgp./1,000 lbf.) thrust each. Nine such units were built into each side of the lower rear fuselage, arranged in three rows of three bottles.

Similarly, the great weight of the aircraft and the lack of thrust reversers made for an unpleasantly high landing speed. Late in flight testing, following a suggestion by Air Force test pilot Major Guy Townsend, a 9.75-meter (32-foot) drag chute was introduced to provide landing deceleration. A conventional parachute would be torn to shreds, so a ribbon parachute, derived from German designs, was used instead. A related problem was that the aircraft’s engines would have to be throttled down on landing approach. Since it could take as long as 20 seconds to throttle them back up to full power, the big bomber could not do a “touch and go” and then circle around for another landing attempt if something went wrong. As a result, a second, half-diameter chute was added that would be deployed on approach so that the engines could be kept throttled up until the pilot felt sure his approach was safe.

The XB-47 was designed to carry a crew of three in a pressurized forward compartment: a pilot and copilot in a long fighter-style bubble canopy, and a navigator in a compartment in the nose. The copilot doubled as tail gunner, and the navigator as bombardier. The bubble canopy could pitch up and slide backward, but since the cockpit was high off the ground, crew entrance was through a door and ladder on the underside of the nose. Total bombload capacity was to be 4.5 tonnes (10,000 pounds). Production aircraft were to be equipped with, by the standards of the time, advanced electronics for navigation, bombing, countermeasures, and turret fire control.

The second XB-47 prototype first took the air on 21 July 1948, and was equipped with much more powerful GE J47-GE-3 turbojets with 23.54 kN (2,400 kgp./5,200 lbf.) thrust each. The J47 or TG-190 was an improved derivative of the J35/TG-180. The first XB-47 prototype was later retrofitted with these engines.

By mid-1948, the Air Force’s bomber competition had already been through one iteration, pitting the North American XB-45 against the Convair XB-46. The North American design won that round of the competition, and as an interim measure the USAF had decided to put the North American bomber into production on a limited basis as the B-45 Tornado. The expectation was that B-45 production would be terminated if either of the remaining two designs in the competition, the Boeing XB-47 and the Martin XB-48, proved superior.

A formal contract was signed on 3 September 1948 for ten B-47As. They were strictly evaluation machines. The first was delivered in December 1950. The configuration of the B-47As was close to that of the initial XB-47 prototypes. They were fitted with J47-GE-11 turbojets, providing the same 23.54 kN (2,400 kgp./5,200 lbf.) thrust as the earlier J47-GE-3, and they also featured the built-in JATO bottles.

Four of the B-47As were fitted with the K-2 bombing and navigation system (BNS), with an HD-21D autopilot, an analog computer, AN/APS-23 radar, and a Y-4 or Y-4A bombsight. Two B-47As were fitted with the tail turret, one of them using an Emerson A-2 fire control system (FCS), another early version of the GE A-5 FCS. The eight other B-47As had no defensive armament. The B-47As were fitted with ejection seats. The pilot and copilot ejected upward, while the navigator ejected downward. Minimum safe ejection altitude was about 150 meters (500 feet).

Although the XB-47s had been built by Boeing at the company’s Seattle, Washington, plant, the B-47As and all following Boeing B-47 production were produced at a government-owned factory in Wichita, Kansas, where the company had built B-29s in the past. The switch was made since the Seattle plant was burdened with KC-97 production and other urgent tasks, and the Air Force also thought Seattle was too vulnerable to a Soviet bomber attack.

Most of the B-47As had been phased out of service by early 1952, though one did perform flight tests for NACA for a few more years. While the Air Force put the B-47As through their paces, the Cold War was rising to full force, with a hot war flaming away in Korea. The USAF’s Strategic Air Command (SAC) needed an effective nuclear deterrent to keep the Soviet Union in line; the B-47 was an excellent tool for the task, and Boeing was already working on production bombers.

Following a series of preliminary contracts for production B-47s, in November 1949, even before the first flight of the B-47A, the Air Force had ordered 87 B-47Bs, the first operational variant. The first B-47B flew on 26 April 1951. A total of 399 was built, including eight that were assembled by Lockheed and ten that were assembled by Douglas, using Boeing-built kits. The USAF was impatient to get their hands on as many B-47s as they could as quickly as possible, and so signed up Lockheed and Douglas for additional production. Lockheed-built aircraft were designated by a “-LM (Lockheed Marietta)” suffix and Douglas-built aircraft were given a “-DT (Douglas Tulsa)” suffix. Boeing production was designated by a “-BW (Boeing Wichita)” suffix, except for the Seattle-built XB-47s and B-47As, which had a “-BO” suffix.

The initial batch of 87 B-47Bs featured the same J47-GE-11 engines as the B-47As, but all subsequent production featured substantially uprated J47-GE-23 turbojets with 25.8 kN (2,630 kgp./5,800 lbf.) thrust each. Early production was retrofitted with the improved engines. They all featured the built-in JATO system used on the XB-47 and B-47A.

All were fitted with full combat systems. Early production retained the K-2 BNS installed on some of the B-47As, but most production featured the K-4A BNS, which featured an AN/APS-54 warning radar and an AN/APT-5 electronic countermeasures (ECM) system. The K-4A used a periscopic bombsight fitted into the tip of the nose of the aircraft, with the transparent plexiglas nose cone of the XB-47 and B-47A replaced by a metal nose cone. There were four small windows on the left side of the nose and two on the right. Another visible change from the earlier models was that the B-47B had a tailfin with a squared-off top, instead of a rounded top as with its predecessors.

The bombbay of the B-47B was shorter than that of the XB-47 and B-47A, since nuclear weapons had shrunk in the meantime. However, the B-47B could carry a much larger bombload, of up to 8,165 kilograms (18,000 pounds). All B-47Bs featured the tail turret with twin 12.7-millimeter guns and the B-4 radar-guided FCS. The B-4 FCS proved troublesome, in fact so troublesome that in some B-47Bs, it was replaced with an N-6 optical sight. The copilot could swivel his seat around to face backward and sight the guns.

In practice, the enormous fuel capacity of the B-47 was still not enough to give it the range the Air Force wanted, and in fact there had been substantial prejudice against the type among senior Air Force brass because of the limited range of the initial design. Solution of this problem was a high priority, and so an in-flight refueling (IFR) receptacle was fitted in the right side of the nose for “boom”-style refueling. That was the main reason for getting rid of the plexiglas nose cone. The B-47B was also fitted with a pair of jettisonable external tanks, carried between the inboard and outboard engine assemblies. These were really big drop tanks, with a capacity of 6,750 liters (1,780 US gallons).

The B-47B suffered a considerable gain in weight compared to the B-47A, and so as a weight-reduction measure the ejection seats were deleted, and a windbreak panel was fitted to the aircraft’s main door to make escapes easier. Some sources also claim that a fatal ejection-seat accident in a B-47A contributed to this decision. Whatever the case, deleting the ejection seats was not a very popular change with the aircrews, since getting out of the aircraft even at altitude was troublesome.

The designations B-47C and B-47D were applied to special variants that never went into production, and so the next production version of the B-47 was the definitive B-47E.

The first B-47E flew on 30 January 1953. Four “blocks” or “phases” of the B-47E were built, each incorporating refinements over the previous block, and also sometimes featuring production changes within a block. Older blocks were generally brought up to the specifications of later blocks as they were introduced.

Early production B-47E-Is featured J47-GE-25 turbojets with 26.59 kN (2,710 kgp./5,970 lbf.) thrust each, but were quickly updated to J47-GE-25A engines, featuring a significant improvement in the form of water-methanol injection. This was a scheme in which a water-methanol mix was dumped into the engines at take-off, increasing mass flow and so temporarily kicking the thrust up to 32.03 kN (3,265 kgp./7,200 lbf.). The methanol was apparently just added to the water as anti-freeze. Water injection caused the engines to pour out black smoke, no doubt due to incomplete combustion of fuel, and produce a thunderous roar.

The introduction of water-methanol injection reduced the need for JATO. JATO was expensive and had its hazards, and it would now be reserved for emergency alerts, when bombers had to get off the runway as fast as possible. It was otherwise only done once a year or so as a training measure. Early B-47E-Is had provisions for the 18 built-in JATO bottles, but there were worries about having the JATO bottles so close to full fuel tanks, and in any case once the rocket bottles were exhausted they were just dead weight. Since JATO launches were rarely performed, the built-in JATO system was deleted, to be replaced by an external, jettisonable rack fitted under the rear fuselage. The rack carried 33 JATO bottles, in three rows of 11 bottles. The racks were expendable, being dropped onto specific range areas after take-off.

The internal fuel capacity of initial production B-47Es was cut to 55,371 liters (14,610 gallons) as a weight-saving measure. That was considered acceptable because of the big external tanks and the fact that the USAF had refined mid-air refueling to the point where it could be relied upon as a standard practice.

One particularly welcome change in the B-47E relative to the B-47B was the return of the ejection seats. Air Force brass had reconsidered the decision to delete them and realized it didn’t make sense. In addition, the twin 12.7-millimeter guns in the tail turret were replaced with twin 20-millimeter cannon to provide more punch, backed up by an A-5 FCS in early production and an MD-4 FCS in later production.

A final change in the B-47E was that most of the windows in the nose were deleted, with only one left on each side. However, many pictures of B-47Es show them with the full set of windows used on the B-47B. Whether the number of windows varied through B-47E production, or whether these were B-47Bs updated to B-47E specification is unclear.

The B-47E-II featured only minor changes from late production B-47E-Is. The B-47E-III featured an ECM suite, consisting of a radar jammer in a bulge under the fuselage plus a chaff dispenser, as well as improved electrical alternators.

The B-47E-IV was a much more substantial update, featuring stronger landing gear, airframe reinforcement, greater fuel capacity, and a bombload uprated to 11,340 kilograms (25,000 pounds), though the bombbay was once again shortened because of the introduction of more compact nuclear weapons.

Another improvement was the introduction of the MA-7A BNS, a major step up from its predecessors. The MA-7A included the AN/APS-64 radar, with a range of up to 385 kilometers (240 miles). The AN/APS-64 could be used as a long range “identification friend or foe (IFF) transponder” interrogator to allow a B-47E-IV to find a tanker or other B-47, or it could be used as a high-resolution ground-targeting radar. The B-47E-IV retained the optical bombsight, though it was rarely used.

A total of 1,341 B-47Es was produced, with 691 built by Boeing, 386 by Lockheed, and 264 by Douglas. Most B-47Bs were rebuilt up to B-47E standards under two consecutive programs, designated High Noon and then Ebb Tide. They were given the designation of B-47B-II, though it appears that in practice they were simply called B-47Es.

The B-47E was also the basis for a number of major long-range reconnaissance variants. Boeing-Wichita built 240 RB-47E reconnaissance variants, similar to the B-47E but with a nose stretched by 86 centimeters (34 inches), giving them an arguably more elegant appearance than the bomber variants of the B-47. The long nose was used to stow up to 11 cameras.

The RB-47E could carry photoflash flares for night reconnaissance. Although the RB-47E could be refueled in flight, its fuel capacity was increased, to a total of 70,000 liters (18,400 US gallons). The navigator controlled the cameras, becoming a “navigator-photographer” instead of a “navigator-bombardier”.

A total of 32 RB-47H models was built for the electronic intelligence (ELINT) mission, along with as three more-specialized ERB-47Hs. These aircraft featured distinctive blunt, rounded nose and sported blisters and pods for intelligence-gathering antennas and gear. They were designed to probe adversary defenses and then collect data on radar and defense communications signals. The first RB-47H was delivered in August 1955. While a few of these aircraft performed special duties during the Vietnam war, such as relaying ELINT data from drones, they were eventually replaced by much more comfortable and capable Boeing RC-135 platforms. The last RB-47H was retired on 29 December 1967.

By 1956 the US Air Force had 28 wings consisting of a total 1,306 B-47 bombers and five wings consisting of a total of 254 RB-47 reconnaissance aircraft, for a sum of 1,560 machines. That was the peak strength of the Stratojet, though the number of bombers would increase into 1958 to 1,367, while the number of reconnaissance machines decreased to 176. The B-47s were armed with Mk 28, Mk 36, Mk 42, Mk 53, and B43 free-fall nuclear weapons. Stratojets were given a coat of white paint on the bottom to help reflect the flash of a nuclear explosion, though the top of the aircraft remained in natural metal finish.

The bombers were the first line of America’s strategic nuclear deterrent, many operating at forward bases in the UK, Morocco, Spain, Alaska, and Guam. Overseas deployments of entire wings began in 1953 and involved 90-day rotations. B-47 bombers were often set up on one-third alert, with a third of the operational aircraft available sitting on the runway, loaded with fuel and nuclear weapons, crews on standby, ready to take off on an all-out attack against the USSR at short notice.

Crews were also trained to perform minimum interval take-offs (MITO), with one bomber following the other into the air at intervals of as little as 15 seconds, to get all the bombers on the way as fast as possible. MITO could be very hazardous since the bombers left turbulence and, with water-methanol injection, dense black smoke that blinded pilots in the following aircraft.

In 1956, when the Stratojet force was at its peak, SAC conducted two exercises, Operation Power House and Operation Road Block, that put more than 1,000 B-47s and KC-97s into the air to intimidate the USSR. Apparently B-47 bombers even performed training missions in which they penetrated Soviet airspace in numbers. The facts behind these missions remain controversial, with some sources claiming that SAC commander General Curtiss LeMay ordered them without presidential knowledge or approval.

In the late 1950s, operational practice for B-47 bomber operations went from high altitude bombing to low altitude strike, which was judged more likely to penetrate Soviet defenses. Bomber crews were trained in “pop-up” attacks (coming in at low level and then climbing abruptly on nearing the target before releasing a nuclear weapon) and the similar “toss bombing” procedure, in which the aircraft released the weapon while climbing and then rolled away to depart the target area before the bomb fell back down and detonated.

The only B-47s to see anything that resembled combat were the reconnaissance variants. They operated from almost every airfield that gave them access to the USSR, and they often probed Soviet airspace. Sometimes they stirred up more trouble than they could handle, and paid the price. The stories were kept secret for a long time, with the families of aircrew killed simply told that there had been an unspecified fatal accident. The facts only started to come out in earnest in the 1990s.

The first overflight of Soviet territory with an RB-47 took place on 15 October 1952, when an RB-47B (a standard B-47B that had been converted to a daylight reconnaissance configuration on a fast-track basis) flying out of Alaska overflew Soviet airfields in Eastern Siberia. The Soviets scrambled MiG-15s to intercept, but the fast RB-47B got away unharmed. The Soviets apparently sacked the local commander of air defenses in the region.

The last known confrontation between MiGs and RB-47s took place on 27 April 1965, when an ERB-47H was jumped by North Korean MiG-17s over the Sea of Japan. The MiGs gave the ERB-47H a working over, but it managed to make it back to Yokota Air Base in Japan with two engines out.

Aside from production aircraft, there were quite a number of conversions and oddball special modifications in the B-47 line. The Air Force had considered building a specialized RB-47B reconnaissance variant to complement the B-47B bomber version. As an interim measure before the RB-47E went into service, 24 B-47B bombers were fitted with a heated pod with eight cameras that was stowed in the forward bombbay, and these aircraft were designated RB-47Bs. They were capable of daylight reconnaissance only, and, as mentioned earlier, were the first RB-47s to overfly Soviet airspace.

A total of 66 B-47Bs was also converted into TB-47B trainers, through the simple measures of adding a fourth seat for an instructor and removing the tail turret. These aircraft provided valuable crew training for the demanding B-47 through most of the 1950s. Some B-47Es were also converted to trainers and radar jammers.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

airvectors.net

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: