Boeing P-26

Caza norteamericano
U.S. Fighter

 

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(P-26-C)
TECHNICAL DATA
(P-26-C)
TIPO:Caza monoplaza. TYPE:Single-seat pursuit aircraft.
TRIPULANTES:1 CREW:1
ENVERGADURA:8’50 m. SPAN:28 ft.
LONGITUD:7’18 m. LENGTH:23.7 ft.
ALTURA:3’04 m. HEIGHT:10 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:13’89 m². WING AREA:149.510 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:966 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:2,196 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor radial Pratt & Whitney R-1340-27 Wasp de 600 hp. (440 kW). ENGINE:One Pratt & Whitney R-1340-27 Wasp radial engine providing 600 hp (440 kW).
ARMAMENTO:

  • Dos ametralladoras Browning M1919 de 7’62 mm. o bien una ametralladora de 7’62 mm. y otra de 12’7 mm.
  • Dos bombas GP de 45 kg. o bien cinco bombas antipersonal de 15 kg.

ARMAMENT:

  • Two 0.30in (7.62mm) M1919 Browning machine-guns or one 0.30in (7.62mm) and one 0.50in (12.7mm) caliber machine guns.
  • Two 100lb (45 kg) GP bombs or five 31lb (14 kg) anti-personnel bombs.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:377 km/h. MAX. SPEED:234 mph.
TECHO:8.350 m. CEILING:27,400 ft.
ALCANCE:1.020 km. RANGE:635 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:20 de Marzo 1932. FIRST FLIGHT:20 March 1932.
VERSIONES:5 VERSIONS:5
CONSTRUIDOS:151 (todos los modelos). BUILT:151 (all versions).

Poco después de Pearl Harbour, cuando los pilotos de la fuerza aérea filipina se vieron sobrepasados por el más moderno y mejor armado Mitsubishi Zero, resultó cómodo clasificar al “Peashooter” como un caza caduco y valiente. El P-26 poseía tren de aterrizaje fijo dotado de patas escasamente aerodinámicas. Además de estar engalanado con cables tensores, su armamento ompuesto por dos ametralladoras de 7’62 mm. o bien una de 7’62 mm. y otra de 12’7 mm. parecía irremediablemente inadecuado. Luchó contra los invasores japoneses en las Filipinas y China (cuyo gobierno adquirió 11 aparatos) pero fueron barridos de los cielos. En aquellos oscuros días de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, habría sido fácil olvidar que el P-26 de 1931 resultó una decidida aventura en el diseño de cazas: fue el primer caza fabricado completamente de metal y también el primer caza monoplano en servir en una escuadrilla. También fue el último fabricado por Boeing, compañía que había dominado el sector durante casi dos décadas.

Solicitado por el Ejército norteamericano el 5 de diciembre de 1931 con la designación inicial de XP-936, el “Peashooter” (Cerbatana) realizó su primer vuelo el 20 de marzo de 1932. El prototipo (32-412), uno de los tres previstos en el contrato, difería de los posteriores aparatos de serie (Boeing Modelo 266) por tener un reposacabezas más bajo en su carlinga abierta y carenado en las ruedas que se extendía tras las patas del tren de aterrizaje principal. Sin ser atractivo, con su enorme anillo Townend envolviendo su motor radial Pratt & Whitney R-1340-21 de 525 hp ((391’5 kW), versión mejorada del empleado por el caza biplano P-12, el P-26 impresionaba al observador por su lustre comparado con otros biplanos de su época, incluido el P-12 que por entonces se encontraba en producción. Al poco tiempo de que el tercer prototipo (32-414) llegase a Selfridge Field, Michigan, el 25 de Abril de 1932 para ser evaluado por pilotos en activo, el Ejército compró formalmente los tres prototipos a Boeing designándolos XP-26 y posteriormente YZP-26 para indicar su función de aparatos en pruebas, y aún más tarde simplemente como P-26. Con reposacabezas mejorado y algunos otros cambios menores, el P-26A fue puesto en producción el 28 de enero de 1934 mediante un pedido inicial de 111 aparatos (33-28138). A estos siguieron dos P-26B con inyección de combustible (33-179 y 33-185) y 23 P-26C (33-181/203), estos últimos dotados de motores R-1340-27 de 600 hp (447’4 kW).

Algunos pilotos famosos de aquel tiempo pilotaron el P-26. El Teniente Coronel Ralph Royce (posteriormente Mayor General) lo hizo en Selfridge Field (Michigan) y se mostró orgulloso de él. El Mayor General Frank O. Hunter del 17º Grupo de Cazas basado en March Field (California) cantó sus alabanzas. El Mayor Armin F. Herold del 20º Grupo de Cazas de Barksdale Field (Louisiana) lideró formaciones en su P-26A chillón de bandas azules, amarillas y rojas alrededor del cubremotor. De hecho, los “Peashooter” se pintaron en todas partes con patrones de pintura rebuscados. Los del Destacamento de Bolling Field (Washington DC) tenían cuadros alternos de azul y oro sobre los anillos Townend y alrededor de la insignia capitalina de sus fuselajes traseros, cola amarilla y bandas en rojo y blanco en los timones. En conjunto, los Peashooter fueron encuadrados en las escuadrillas 3ª, 16ª, 17ª, 18ª,19ª, 20ª, 27ª, 32ª, 34ª, 38ª, 55ª, 73ª, 77ª, 79ª, 94ª y 95ª.

En los años 30, el monoplano de Boeing resultaba toda una sensación. Era muy maniobrable, con una velocidad a nivel de 365’3 km/h a 3.048 m. y una trepada inicial de 701 m. por minuto. En todas las prestaciones sobrepasó al biplano P-12. En las tomas de tierra requería un pilotaje cuidadoso, ya que resultaba muy temperamental. Su velocidad de aterrizaje de 132’8 km/h. lo hacía difícil de controlar hasta que el Ejército desarrolló unos flaps que reducían tal velocidad a los 112’7 km/h. Estos flaps fueron también adoptados por los P-26A además de instalarse en los modelos B y C en fase de producción.

Volar el P-26 resultaba emocionante. El reposacabezas alto y robusto que apareció a partir del cuarto ejemplar fue consecuencia de un accidente acaecido al capotar violentamente un P-26 inicial y matar a su piloto sin apenas daños en la estructura del avión. Aunque su tren de aterrizaje era imponenete y las tomas de tierra eran exigentes, el P-26 resultaba dócil en vuelo y sus pilotos apreciaban la sensación de poderío y robustez que producía. El modelo resultó un hito importante de la aviación del periodo de entreguerras hasta su reemplazo por el Seversky P-35 y el Curtiss P-36 a fines de los años 30.

Boeing produjo una versión avanzada del Peashooter, denominada P-29, a lo largo de 1934. Poseía alas totalmente cantilever, tren de aterrizaje plegable y carlinga cerrada. Pese a estas mejoras, el avión sólo consiguió alcanzar una velocidad punta de 240 mph. El Ejército consideró que XP-29, denominación del modelo de preproducción evaluado, tan sólo poseía mejoras marginales respecto al P-26 y por ello decidió no interrumpir el programa de fabricación de este. Por entonces Boeing ya estaba trabajando en el desarrollo de modelos de aviones de mucho mayor tamaño, por ello el YP-29 fue el último caza que la compañía fabricó para el Ejército.

Mientras las cadenas de fabricación seguían produciendo P-26 para el USAAC, Boeing logró un contrato para suministrar un lote al gobierno nacionalista chino. En total, 10 Peashooter, denominados Modelo 281 por la compañía y Modelo 248 por los chinos, fueron fabricados en 1934. Sin embargo, no fueron entregados hasta 1936 debido a problemas financieros. Los aparatos fueron encuadrados en la 17ª Escuadrilla, liderada por Wong Pan-Yang, un voluntario chino-norteamericano de Seattle, justo a tiempo para emplearlos contra los japoneses en Nankín en 1937. El 15 de agosto ocho aparatos atacaron a un grupo de seis bombarderos Mitsubishi G3M derribándolos a todos sin pérdidas propias. Wong Pan-Ya, pilotando el Boeing nº 1701, consiguió un derribo y compartió otro más, mientras que el angelino Wong Sun-Shui con el nº 1703 dio cuenta de un tercero. Sin embargo, los rigores del combate y las pobres condiciones de mantenimiento pasaron factura a los Boeing, por ello a finales de 1937 no quedaba ninguno operativo. La escuadrilla fue equipada con biplanos Gloster Gladiator, en los que Wong Pan-Yang elevaría su total de victorias a cinco. A Wong Sun-Shui se le atribuyeron 7 victorias antes de caer mortalmente herido en combate el 14 de marzo de 1941.

Un ejemplar adicional del Modelo 281 sin armamento fue vendido a España en 1935 para su evaluación como posible sucesor del caza Nieuport-Delage NiD-52 que por entonces constituía la columna vertebral de sus fuerzas aéreas. El aparato llegó a Barajas (Madrid) el 10 de marzo de 1935, donde fue probado por pilotos militares españoles y personal de Boeing. El precio solicitado fue de 500.000 pesetas de la época por ejemplar, lo que finalmente llevó al gobierno de la República a rechazarlo y tratar de obtener en su lugar una licencia de fabricación de Hawker Aircraft Company para que Hispano Suiza fabricase 50 cazas biplanos Hawker Fury.

El Boeing 281 aún se encontraba en Barajas al estallar la Guerra Civil Española el 18 de julio de 1936, siendo rápidamente armado con ametralladoras Vickers de 7’69 mm. bajo las alas para servir en el frente con las fuerzas republicanas. Basado en Getafe, fue empleado contra las fuerzas nacionalistas, llegando a volar en cierta ocasión con un Fury, cuatro Dewoitine D.372 y dos Nieuport-Delage NiD-52. A mediados de octubre de 1936 el contingente aéreo en Getafe quedó reducido a un Fury, un Dewoitine y el Boeing 281. Posteriormente, el 21 de octubre, Ramón Puparelli, uno de los pilotos de prueba del caza a su llegada a España, defendió el aeródromo contra tres Fiat CR.32 enemigos siendo derribado en el intento, aunque Puparelli consiguió salvarse al saltar del aparato. Algo después, el gobierno republicano, que de hecho nunca había adquirido el prototipo, pagó 20.000 dólares al representante de Boeing Wilbur Johnson a través de su embajada en París.

A finales de 1941, al entrar los EE.UU. en la guerra mundial, el P-26 era considerado una antigualla volante. Los últimos Peashooter operativos de las Filipinas habían sido ya sustituidos por P-35A durante el verano de 1941. Los doce supervivientes fueron cedidos a la 6ª Escuadrilla de Cazas filipina basada en Batangas (Luzón). El Capitán Jesus A. Villamor lideró los cazas de su unidad, los únicos que entraron en combate en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, que demostró gran valor a los mandos de sus pilotos filipinos. El 12 de diciembre de 1941 Villamor derribó un Mitsubishi G3M2 del 1er Kokutai sobre Batangas. El Teniente José Kare logró derribar incluso un Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero con su obsoleto Boeing el 23 de diciembre. Sin embargo, enfrentados a un enemigo muy superior en número y calidad, los Peashooter se mostraron tan ineficaces como sugería su apodo. El último P-26 filipino fue quemado el 24 de diciembre para impedir que cayese en manos japonesas.

Tras Pearl Harbour el P-26 permaneció en activo en la Zona del Canal de Panamá en misiones de patrulla costera hasta poder trasladar otros aparatos más modernos de frentes más activos. Los últimos once ejemplares fueron cedidos al gobierno panameño, que los vendió a Guatemala en 1943. Estos aparatos sirvieron en la fuerza aérea guatemalteca hasta su reemplazo por North American P-51 Mustang excedentes en 1950. El último P-26 guatemalteco fue restaurado y pintado en sus colores originales de antes de la guerra y se exhibe hoy día en el National Air and Space Museum de Washigton.



Just after Pearl Harbour, when Philippine air force pilots in the Boeing P-26 were outclassed and outfought by the formidable Mitsubishi Zero, it was fashionable to berate the ‘Peashooter’ as a dated and doughty pursuit ship. The P-26 had fixed landing gear with heavy, high-drag wheel pants. It was festooned with bracing wires. Its armament of two 0.3-in (7.62-mm) or one 0.3-in (7.62-mm) and one 0.5-in (12.7-mm) machine-guns seemed hopelessly inadequate. P-26s battled Japanese invaders in the Philippines and in China (which acquired 11 export machines) but were badly mauled. In those dark days of World War II, it would have been easy to forget that the P-26 of 1931 had been a bold new venture in fighter design: the first all-metal fighter and the first monoplane fighter to enter squadron service. The P-26 was also the final production fighter built by Boeing, which had dominated the field for nearly two decades.

Ordered by the US Army on 5 December 1931 initially with the designation XP-936, the ‘Peashooter’ made its first flight on 20 March 1932. The prototype machine (32-412), one of three covered by the contract, differed from the familiar production model (Boeing Model 266) in having a lower headrest for its open canopy, and wheelpants which extended behind the main landing gear struts. No beauty, with a huge Townend ring enclosing its 525-hp (391.5- kW) Pratt & Whitney R-1340-21 radial air-cooled engine, a proved version of the powerplant used by the P-12 biplane fighter, the P-26 nevertheless impressed the onwatcher with its sleekness by comparison with biplane fighters of the time, including the P-12 itself which was still in production. Shortly after the third machine (32-414) reached Selfridge Field, Michigan, on 25 April 1932 to be evaluated by operational pilots, the Army formally purchased the three first airframes from Boeing and designated them XP-26, later YZP-26 to indicate the service-test function and, later yet, simply P-26. With improved headrest and other minor changes, the P-26A was ordered into production on 28 January 1934 with an initial buy of 111 airframes (33-28138). There followed two P-26Bs with fuel injection (33-179 and 33-185) and 23 P-26Cs (33-181/203), the latter with 600-hp (447.4kW) R-1340-27 engines.

Some ‘greats’ of the era flew the P-26. Lieutenant Colonel Ralph Royce (later a major general) at Selfridge Field, Michigan, was fond of it. Major General Frank O. Hunter of the 17th Pursuit Group at March Field, California, sung its praises. Major Armin F. Herold of the 20th Pursuit Group at Barksdale Field, Louisiana, led formations in a P-26A gaudy with blue, yellow and red bands around the engine cowl. In fact, ‘Peashooters’ appeared widely with elaborate paint schemes. Those of the Bolling Field Detachment, Washington DC, had alternating blue and gold squares on their Townend rings and around the capitol insignia on the rear fuselage, with yellow tail and red/white striped rudder surfaces. In all, ‘Peashooters’ served with the 3rd, 16th, 17th, 18th,19th, 20th, 27th, 32nd, 34th, 38th, 55th, 734 77th, 79th, 94th and 95th squadrons.

In the 1930s, the Boeing monoplane was a ‘hot’ ship. With a maximum level speed of 227 mph (365.3 km/h) at 10,000 ft (3048 m) and an initial climb rate of 2,300 ft (701 m) per minute, it was highly manoeuvrable. It outclassed the biplane P-12 in every performance regime. On landing, where it required careful control and did not forgive the lax flier, the P-26 was too hot. Its 82.5 mph (132.8 km/h) landing speed made it difficult to handle until flaps were developed by the Army, reducing landing speed to 70 mph (112.7 km/h). The flaps were retrofitted on P-26As and installed on P-26B and P-26C machines on the production line.

Flying the P-26 was a thrill. The high, sturdy headrest found on the fourth airframe onward resulted from an accident when an early P-26 flipped violently on its back and killed the pilot with almost no structural damage to the aircraft. Though its landing gear was stalky and its approach characteristics, as noted, were demanding, the P-26 was easy on the touch once aloft and pilots were pleased that it evoked a feeling of power and toughness. It was a mainstay between world wars until replaced by the Seversky P-35 and Curtiss P-36 in the late 1930s.

Boeing produced an improved version of the Peashooter, called the P-29, during 1934. It featured a fully cantilevered wing, a retractable landing gear and an enclosed canopy. Despite those improvements, the airplane only managed to achieve a top speed of 240 mph. The Air Corps regarded the YP-29, as the preproduction evaluation model was called, to be only a marginal improvement over the P-26, and not worth disrupting the production program. Boeing was becoming involved in the development of much larger types of aircraft by that time. The YP-29 was the last fighter the company built for the Army.

While the production lines were turning out P-26s for the Air Corps, Boeing contracted to supply a batch of similar fighters to the Nationalist Chinese government. A total of 10 Peashooters, designated Model 281 by Boeing and Model 248 by the Chinese, were built for the Chinese in 1934. The company did not deliver the airplanes until 1936, however, because of funding problems. The Boeings were delivered to the 17th Squadron, commanded by Wong Pan-Yang, a Sino-American volunteer from Seattle, in time to be used against Japanese aircraft over Nanking in 1937. On August 15, eight of them attacked a flight of six Mitsubishi G3M bombers and shot down all six without loss. Wong Pan-Yang in Boeing No. 1701 downed one and shared in the destruction of a second, while Los Angeles­born Wong Sun-Shui in plane No. 1703 accounted for a third. The rigors of combat and primitive operating conditions took a heavy toll on the Boeing fighters, though, and by the end of 1937 none of them remained operational. The 17th was re-equipped with Gloster Gladiator biplanes, in which Wong Pan-Yang would bring his total score to five. Wong Sun-Shui was credited with 81Ž2 victories before being mortally wounded in action on March 14, 1941.

One additional Model 281 was sold to Spain in 1935 for evaluation as a possible successor to the Nieuport-Delage NiD-52 fighter that was then the backbone of the Spanish air service. Delivered to Barajas, in Madrid, without armament on March 10, 1935, the Boeing fighter was test-flown by Boeing and Spanish military pilots. Boeing’s asking price of 500,000 pesetas per plane ultimately resulted in the Spanish government’s decision to reject the 281 and instead obtain a license from the British Hawker Aircraft Company for Hispano Suiza to produce 50 Hawker Spanish Fury biplane fighters.

The Boeing 281 was still at Barajas when the Spanish Civil War broke out on July 18, 1936, and was hastily armed with two .303 Vickers machine guns under the wings for front-line service with the Republican forces. Operating from Getafe airfield, it saw considerable action against the fascist rebels, on one occasion flying in formation with a Spanish Fury, four Dewoitine D.372s, two Loire 46s and two Nieuport-Delage NiD-52s. Republican air strength at Getafe was down to one Fury, one Dewoitine and the Boeing 281 by mid-October 1936. Then, on October 21, Ramón Puparelli, one of the Boeing fighter’s original test pilots, took it up to defend the airfield against three enemy Fiat CR.32s, only to be shot down. Puparelli managed to bail out. Some time later, the Spanish Republican government, which had never actually bought the prototype, finally paid $20,000 to Boeing representative Wilbur Johnson, through its embassy in Paris, for the 281’s use in combat.

By the end of 1941, when the United States became involved in World War II, the P-26 was considered a flying antique. The last operational Peashooters in the Philippines had been replaced by P-35As during the summer of 1941. The 12 remaining Boeing fighters were transferred to the 6th Pursuit Squadron of the Philippine Army Air Corps at Batangas Airfield on Luzon. Captain Jesus A. Villamor led the P-26As of the 6th Pursuit Squadron, the only ones of their type to see action in World War II, and they were flown with great courage by their Filipino pilots. On December 12, 1941, Villamor brought down a Mitsubishi G3M2 of the 1st Kokutai over Batangas. Lieutenant Jose Kare even managed to shoot down a Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero with his obsolete Boeing on December 23. Generally, however, pitted against overwhelming numbers of superior enemy aircraft, the Peashooters proved as ineffectual as their name implied. The last surviving Filipino P-26s were burned on Christmas Eve to prevent their falling into enemy hands.

The P-26 was also retained in service in the Panama Canal Zone for coastal patrol duty after Pearl Harbor, until more modern aircraft could be spared from more active theaters. The last 11 aircraft were transferred to the Panamanian government, which sold them to Guatemala in 1943. The Peashooters served in the Guatemalan air force until they were replaced by surplus North American P-51 Mustangs in 1950. The last of the ex-Guatemalan P-26s was restored to its colorful prewar Army Air Corps markings and is now on display in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

Rober F. Dorr & David Donald, Fighters of the United States Air Force. From World War I Pursuits to the F-117,
Temple Press/Aerospace, 1990.
historynet.com

©jmodels.net