Bristol Beaufighter

Caza británico
British fighter


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(TF Mk X)
TECHNICAL DATA
(TF Mk X)
TIPO:Caza pesado biplaza nocturno, de largo alcance o antibuque. TYPE:Two-seat night, long-range or anti-shipping strike fighter.
TRIPULANTES:2 CREW:2
ENVERGADURA:17’63 m. SPAN:57 ft 10 in.
LONGITUD:12’70 m. LENGTH:41 ft 8 in.
ALTURA:4’83 m. HEIGHT:15 ft 10 in.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:46’73 m². WING AREA:503 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:7.076 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:15,600 lb.
MOTOR:Dos motores radiales Bristol Hercules XVIII de 1.770 caballos (1.320 kW). ENGINE:Two 1,770-hp (1,320-kW) Bristol Hercules XVIII radial piston engines.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Cuatro cañones de 20 mm. a proa.
  • Seis ametralladoras de 7’7 mm. delanteras.
  • Una ametralladora Vockers ‘K’ de 7’7 mm. en posición dorsal.
  • Un torpedo y dos bombas de 113 kg. o bien ocho cohetes de 41 kg.

ARMAMENT:

  • Four forward-firing 20-mm cannon.
  • Six forward-firing 0.303-in (7.7-mm) machine-guns.
  • One 0.303-in (7.7-mm) Vickers ‘K’ gun in dorsal position.
  • One torpedo, and two 250-lb (113-kg) bombs or eight 90-lb (41-kg) rocket projectiles.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:488 km/h MAX. SPEED:303 mph.
TECHO:4.570 m. CEILING:15,000 ft.
ALCANCE:2.366 km. RANGE:1,470 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:17 de julio de 1939. FIRST FLIGHT:17 July 1939.
VERSIONES:18 VERSIONS:18
CONSTRUIDOS:5.928 BUILT:5,928

El diseño del Bristol Tipo 156, posteriormente conocido como Beaufighter, nació de una obligada improvisación que tuvo que afrontar el equipo de diseñadores de la marca liderados por Roy Fedden y Leslie Frise. Cronológicamente tuvo lugar en los albores de la Crisis de Munich de 1938 que con el sacrificio de Checoeslovaquia había comprado algo de tiempo durante el cual británicos y franceses buscaban recomponer sus frágiles defensas, ya que las fuerzas aéreas de ambas naciones se componían, por lo general, de modelos anticuados. Sin embargo, el Reino Unido había iniciado un programa de expansión cuyos primeros frutos, como el Hawker Hurricane, estaban comenzando a madurar. La RAF sufría de una gran escasez de cazas modernos, y especialmente de aviones bien artillados capaces de ser desplegados en misiones de largo alcance, de escolta o de caza nocturna. Por entonces Bristol ya había casi terminado el diseño del bombardero-torpedero Beaufort, desarrollado a partir del Blenheim, y cuyo prototipo realizó su primer vuelo el 15 de octubre de 1938. A Bristol se le sugirió la fabricación de un caza de largo alcance en el menor tiempo posible, y para ello se emplearon las alas, la unidad de cola y el tren de aterrizaje del Beaufort dotando al nuevo modelo de dos motores radiales Bristol Hercules de válvulas de camisa. Esta transformación tan sólo requería un fuselaje nuevo que uniese todos los ensamblajes anteriores. En escasos días fue posible realizar un borrador preliminar del diseño que fue enviado al Ministerio del Aire en octubre de 1938 y que dio lugar al pedido de cuatro prototipos. En tan sólo ocho meses desde el inicio de su diseño en noviembre, el primer prototipo hizo su vuelo inicial el 17 de julio de 1939, un hecho que demuestra lo que puede llegar a conseguir una improvisación acertada.

El Tipo 156 Beaufighter era un monoplano cantilever de ala media fabricado en metal, excepto en las superficies de control enteladas, que poseía flaps divididos de amplia envergadura. Tanto el fuselaje como la cola tenían estructuras convencionales y su tren de aterrizaje con rueda de cola era plegable. Los motores eran dos radiales Hercules con hélices de Havilland tripalas de 3’96 m. de diámetro en los dos primeros prototipos. El primer prototipo llevó dos motores Hercules I-SM, el segundo dos Hercules I-M y el tercero y cuarto volaron inicialmente con dos Hercules II de 1.300 caballos (969 kW).

Las pruebas de fábrica y de vuelo revelaron escasos problemas en la célula, aunque se le incorporaron algunas mejoras de cara al futuro. Lo más preocupante fueron los motores, pues aunque el primer prototipo había alcanzado su esperada velocidad de 530 km/h a 5.120 m., el segundo alcanzó un 7’5 por ciento menos de rendimiento. Lo que resultaba aún más desconcertante era el hecho de que el avión estaba volando sin su equipo operativo, y la compañía constató que la incorporación del nuevo motor Hercules III de 1.400 caballos (1.044 kW) proporcionaría pocas mejoras. El único motor disponible a corto plazo era el Hercules XI de 1.500 caballos (1.119 kW), una versión más potente del III que empleaba gasolina de 100 octanos, por lo que se decidió usar este motor para las versiones de fabricación iniciales.

El otro factor importante por decidir antes de que el Beaufighter entrase en servicio era seleccionar un armamento adecuado. Este, por supuesto, sería diferente según las misiones que cada versión concreta habría de realizar. El Beaufighter IF fue claramente destinado a caza nocturno en cuanto se comprobó su amplio espacio dentro del fuselaje para llevar el por entonces voluminoso radar AI (Airborne Interception, intercepción en el aire) y esto supuso la concentración de armamento pesado para destruir o dañar un aparato enemigo después de que el contacto por radar llevase al caza nocturno a un alcance óptimo. El armamento de serie del IF eran cuatro cañones de 20 mm. en el morro que posteriormente se convertirían en el equipo estándar de los Beaufighter del Mando de Cazas.

Los contratos del Beaufighter alcanzaron tan grandes proporciones mucho antes de que el modelo hubiese entrado en servicio, que se hubieron de crear tres líneas de fabricación. Estaban situadas en las instalaciones de Bristol en Filton, en la nueva fábrica de Weston-super-Mare (Somerset), perteneciente también a Bristol, y en la fábrica de Fairey en Stockport (Lancashire). El primer Beaufighter IF terminado en esta última factoría realizó su primer vuelo el 7 de febrero de 1941 y el primer avión construido en Weston-super-Mare el 20 de febrero de 1941, pero mucho antes, el 27 de julio de 1940, los primeros Beaufighter ya se habían entregado a la RAF.

Las Escuadrillas Nº 25 y 29 recibieron cada una sus Beaufighter el 2 de septiembre de 1940 y el 17 de septiembre la Escuadrilla Nº 29 ya estaba plenamente operativa con los suyos, seguida de la Nº 25 el 10 de octubre y poco después por las escuadrillas Nº 219, 600 y 640. Esta última fue la primera unidad en conseguir una victoria aérea con el Beaufighter dotado de radar AI Mk IV el 19 de noviembre de 1940, cuando un Junkers Ju 88 fue alcanzado sobre Oxfordshire estrellándose antes de que lograse llegar al Canal. Desafortunadamente para la RAF, la interceptación sólo con el radar AI Mk IV resultaba inadecuada, y no fue hasta la puesta en marcha del sistema de Interceptación Controlada desde Tierra (GCI, Ground Controlled Interception) en enero de 1941 cuando se consiguió posicionar a los cazas nocturnos a distancia de contacto de sus radares AI con el enemigo, pudiendo así el Beaufighter IF justificar las expectativas puestas en él.

Otro uso diferente del Beaufighter IF surgió mientras se equipaban las escuadrillas de caza nocturna en el otoño de 1940, ya que se necesitaban con urgencia cazas diurnos de largo alcance que operasen en el Mediterráneo y el Desierto Occidental. Para cubrir esta demanda, unos 80 Beaufighter IF fueron dotados de equipo para el desierto y su radio de acción ampliado provisionalmente con la adición de un tanque de combustible adicional de 227 litros sobre el suelo del fuselaje. Posteriormente se amplió su carga de combustible en los paneles externos de las alas suprimiendo el armamento.

La inclusión de una radio especial del Mando Costero, además de ayudas a la navegación añadidas, distinguieron a los primeros Beaufighter IC (Coastal, Costero) que iniciaron su servicio en la escuadrilla Nº 143 en la primavera de 1941. Este modelo demostró su valía desde el principio, ganando en importancia conforme se ampliaban sus capacidades.

La fuerte demanda de motores Hercules, que también empleaba el bombardero Short Stirling, hizo prudente experimentar la instalación de un motor alternativo de modo que, ante la tesitura de escasez temporal o prolongada en el suministro de dichos motores, la fabricación del Beaufighter no se viera afectada. Por ello, a dos o tres aparatos suministrados a Rolls-Royce en Hucknall se le instalaron motores en línea Merlin X de 1.075 caballos (802 kW) que al ser probados demostraron mejorar su rendimiento ligeramente pero su incorporación acarreaba un cambio en el centro de gravedad del avión. Este cambio se manisfestaba también en la inestabilidad direccional, lo cual aconsejó variadas modificaciones en la cola: plano de cola de mayor anchura, derivas y timones dobles y un plano de cola de 12º de diedro. Fue este último cambio el que proporcionó la solución, y se adoptó tanto para los aparatos ya construidos como para los siguientes en la producción. Los Beaufighters con motores Merlin fueron designados Mk II, y el primer Beaufighter IIF con motores Merlin XX de 1.280 caballos (954 kW) realizó su primer vuelo el 22 de marzo de 1941. El Beaufighter IIF fue, de hecho, la única versión fabricada con motores Merlin y sirvió principalmente como caza nocturno de defensa sobre Gran Bretaña, pero también fue empleado por las escuadrillas Nº 721, 723, 775, 779, y 789 del Arma Aérea de la Flota. El único modelo diferente que entró en servicio en las primeras variantes fue un solitario Beaufighter V, armado únicamente con dos cañones de 20 mm. orientados hacia proa y las ametralladoras alares sustituidas por una torreta cuádruple Boulton-Paul instalada sobre el fuselaje tras el piloto. Esta disposición del armamento tuvo consecuencias tan negativas para las prestaciones del avión, que el desarrollo del proyecto se abandonó.

Afortunadamente tanto para Bristol como para la RAF, no se materializó la temida escasez de motores Hercules. Bien al contrario su producción comenzó a crecer, e incluso estuvo disponible el nuevo y más potente Hercules VI, que proporcionaba 1.370 caballos (1.245 kW) a 2.285 m., para ser incorporado al Beaufighter. Tras probar trea aparatos con este motor, el Hercules VI o XVI fue aceptado como modelo estándar. Los aviones que lo llevaron fueron designados Beaufighter VI, reemplazando a los modelos I y II en las cadenas de montaje hacia finales de 1941 y entrando en servicio con el Mando Costero y el Mando de Cazas a inicios de 1942.

Estos motores más potentes iban a hacer posible incluir aún más variedad de armas y equipamiento, ampliando la gama de misiones que este soberbio avión era capaz de realizar. El armamento alar podía ser reemplazado por un tanque auxiliar de combustible de 227 litros bajo el ala derecha y otro de 109 litros bajo la izquierda que le proporcionaban mayor alcance, podía transportar dos bombas de 113 kg. bajo las alas, también ocho cohetes de 41 kg. en lugar de las ametralladoras en las alas y,tras las pruebas realizadas en mayo de 1942, el Beaufighter pudo así mismo transportar un torpedo estándar norteamericano o británico. Un lote inicial de 16 Beaufighter VIC fueron reconvertidos en torpederos para dotar a la escuadrilla Nº 254, iniciando así los “Torbeaus”, como se les conoció extraoficialmente, sus operaciones contra el tráfico marítimo enemigo a inicios de abril de 1943. Esta combinación de Beaufighter y torpedo se convertiría en un arma formidable en la guerra aire-mar.

El Beaufighter VIF fue el primer modelo en ser empleado en el teatro de operaciones indobirmano con la escuadrilla Nº 176 en la defensa de Calcuta. También usaron este modelo cuatro escuadrillas del 1er Mando Aéreo Táctico de la Fuerza Aérea Sudafricana durante sus operaciones en el Mediterráneo. Los Beaufighters VIC del Mando Costero fueron complementados por una versión de ataque antibuque llamada TF. Mk X. Estos aparatos llevaban una versión modificada del motor Hercules VI diseñada para dar su máxima potencia a baja cota, y también fueron los primeros en ser dotados de serie con el radar AI Mk VIII en el llamado “morro de dedal”. Esta configuración resultó especialmente adecuada para misiones antisubmarinas como lo demuestra el hecho de que los Beaufighters TF. Mk X de las escuadrillas Nº 236 y 254 localizaron y destruyeron cinco sumergibles alemanes en sólo 48 horas en marzo de 1945. Otras versiones que sirvieron en el Mando Costero fueron los 60 aviones Mk VIC con motores Hercules XVI y ocho cohetes subalares en lugar de ametralladoras. Estos aparatos fueron designados Beaufighter VI (ITF) (Interim Torpedo Fighter, Caza Torpedero provisional), y se emplearon temporalmente hasta la llegada de los nuevos TF. Mk X, siendo de hecho reconvertidos en este último modelo posteriormente. La última versión británica de producción fue el Beaufighter XIC del Mando Costero, que en general era similar al Mk X pero sin la capacidad de llevar torpedo. Los 163 ejemplares de este modelo elevaron el total construido por Gran Bretaña a más de 5.000 aviones.

De ellos más de 50 se suministraron a Australia en 1941 y 1942, que también fabricó con licencia un total de 363 aparatos en 1944-45 similares al TF. Mk X, con la designación Beaufighter Mk 21. Fue este modelo australiano el que, atacando sin piedad a los buques y mercantes japoneses ganó para este soberbio avión el pintoresco aunque ominoso apodo de “la Muerte Susurrante”. Tras la guerra, muchos Beaufighter de la RAF fueron convertidos en remolcadores de blancos con la designación Beaufighter TT. 10, cuyo último ejemplar fue retirado del servicio activo en 1960.



Bristol’s Type 156 design, subsequently to become known as the Beaufighter, was born by an improvisation forced upon the Bristol design staff headed by Roy Fedden and Leslie Frise. This had come in the wake of the Munich crisis of 1938 which, by the sacrifice of Czecholovakia, had bought a little time in which the British and French sought to prop up their fragile defences, both nations had air forces which, in the main, were comprised of geriatric aircraft, but the UK had initiated an expansion programme and its first fruits, such as the Hawker Hurricane, were then beginning to ripen. The RAF was, however, still desperately short of modern fighters and, in particular, of heavily armed aircraft suitable for deployment in the long-range scort or night fighter roles. Bristol had then virtually completed design of the Beaufort torpedo-bomber, developed from the Blenheim, the prototype Beaufort flying first on 15 October 1938. The suggested improvisation, to produce a long-range fighter in the shortest possible time, hinged upon use of the wings, tail unit and landing gear of the Beaufort, powered by two of the company’s Hercules sleeve-valve radial piston engines: this required, in effect, only a new fuselage to unite these assemblies. It was possible for a draft proposal to be knocked together within a few days and this, submitted to the Air Ministry in October 1938, resulted in an order for four prototypes. Within just over eight months from initiation of detail design in November the first prototype was in the air, making its maiden flight on 17 July 1939, which just goes to prove what inspired improvisation can do.

A mid-wing cantilever monoplane of all-metal construction, except for fabric-covered control surfaces, the Type 156 Beaufighter had wings incorporating wide-span split flaps. The fuselage and tail unit were conventional structures, and landing gear was of the retractable tailwheel type. The powerplant consisted of two Hercules radial engines, and the first two prototypes each had de Havilland three-blade propellers of 13 ft in. (3.96 m.) diameter. The first prototype had two Hercules I-SM engines, the second two Hercules I-M, and the third and fourth prototypes flew initially with 1,300-hp (969-kW) Hercules IIs.

Factory and service testing revealed few airframe problems, although action was taken to incorporate a number of improvements considered to be desirable for future use. The area of concern centred upon the engines, for while the first prototype had been able to demonstrate its estimated speed of 335 mph (539 km/h at 16,800 ft (5120 m.), the second prototype was some 7 1/2 per cent below this figure. What was even more disconcerting was the fact that the aircraft were then being flown without operational equipment, and it was realised by the company that introduction of the planned 1,400-hp (1044-kW) Hercules III would provide little, if any, improvement. The only alternative engine available at short notice was the 1,500-hp (1,119-kW) Hercules XI, an uprated version of the III which used 100-octane fuel, and it was decided to use these engines for the initial production versions.

The other vital factor to be settled, before the Beaufighter went into service, was the selection of suitable armament. This, of course, was to vary somewhat according to the basic role in which a particular version was intended to operate. The Beaufighter IF was visualised as a night fighter as soon as it was appreciated that there was ample room within its fuselage to accommodate the then bulky AI radar, and this dictated a concentration of heavy fire to destroy or immediately disable an enemy aircraft after AI contact had brought the night fighter to optimum range. Standard armament of the IF was four 20-mm cannon in the fuselage nose, plus four 0.303-in (7.7-mm) machine-guns in the starboard wing and two more in the port wing, although early production aircraft off the Filton line had only the four cannon. Radar comprised AI Mk IV installed in the fuselage nose, and this was to become the standard equipment for Fighter Command Beaufighters.

Contracts for the Beaufighter having reached large proportions long before any of the type entered service, three production lines had been established. These were at the Bristol works at Filton, in a new Bristol factory at Weston-super-Mare, Somerset, and at the Fairey factory at Stockport in Lancashire. The first production Beaufighter IF completed on this last production line made its initial flight on 7 February 1941; the first from Weston-super-Mare on 20 February 1941, but long before that, on 27 July 1940, the first Beaufighters were handed over to the RAF.

Nos. 25 and 29 Squadrons each received their first example of the Beaufighter on 2 September 1940; by 17 September No. 29 Squadron was fully operational with the type, followed by No. 25 on 10 October, and Nos. 219, 600 and 640 Squadrons were close behind. It was this last squadron which was to record the first Beaufighter victory with the AI Mk IV radar, on 19 November 1940, when a Junkers Ju 88 was mortally damaged over Oxfordshire and crashed before it could cross the English Channel. Unfortunately for the RAF, interception by AI Mk IV alone was inadequate, and it was not until the introduction of Ground Controlled Interception (GCI) in January 1941, which was able to put the night fighter within AI contact range of its adversary, that the Beaufighter IF was able to justify its promise.

An alternative employment for the Beaufighter IF arose even while the initial night fighter squadrons were being equipped in the autumn of 1940, for there was an urgent need for long-range day fighters to operate around the Mediterranean and in the Western Desert. To meet this demand about 80 Beaufighter IFs were provided with desert equipment and their range extended by the temporary expedient of installing a 50-Imperial gallon (227-litre) fuel tank on the fuselage floor. At a later date additional tankage was provided in the wing outer panels, but this necessitated deletion of the wing guns.

The provision of special Coastal Command radio, plus navigation facilities, distinguished the initial Beaufighter ICs (Coastal) which began to enter service with No. 143 Squadron in the spring of 1941. The aircraft of this mark proved a valuable weapon from the outset, becoming gradually more important as their capability was expanded.

A heavy demand for Hercules engines, which also were used to power the Short Stirling bomber, made it prudent to experiment with an alternative engine installation so that, in the event of a temporary or long term interruption in the supply of these powerplants, Beaufighter production would not be penalised. Accordingly, two of three airframes supplied to Rolls-Royce at Hucknall were provided with 1,075-hp (802-kW) Merlin X inline engines, and these when test flown were found to give slightly improved performance but brought about a change in the aircraft’s centre of gravity. This manifested itself in some directional instability, leading to a variety of tail-end modifications: a tailplane of increased chord, a lengthened dorsal fin, twin fins and rudders, and a tailplane with 12° dihedral. It was this last remedy which provided the solution, and it was adopted both retrospectively and on all subsequent production aircraft. Merlin-engined Beaufighters were designated Mk II, and the first production Beaufighter IIF with 1,280-hp (954-kW) Merlin XX engines made its initial flight on 22 March 1941. The Beaufighter IIF was, in fact, the only Merlin-engined version to be built, and the type served primarily as a home-defence night fighter, but was used also by Nos. 721, 723, 775, 779 and 789 Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm. The only other variant to fly among the early marks was a Beaufighter V, armed with only two forward firing 20-mm cannon, and the wing guns replaced by a Boulton Paul four-gun turret, mounted in the fuselage just aft of the pilot. This, however, was found to erode performance so drastically that development of the project was abandoned.

Fortunately for both Bristol and the RAF, the feared shortage of Hercules engines did not materialise. On the contrary, production began to rise, and the more powerful Hercules VI, which had a rating of 1,370 hp. (1245 kW) at 7,500 ft (2285 m.), became available for installation in Beaufighters. Following tests of three aircraft provided with this powerplant, the Hercules VI or XVI was accepted as standard. Airframes so powered became designated Beaufighter VI, supplanting both Is and IIs on the production lines towards the end of 1941, and the first Mk VIs began to enter service with Coastal and Fighter Command squadrons at the beginning of 1942.

These more powerful engines were to make possible a far wider variation in equipment and weapons, expanding the variety of roles which this superb aircraft was able to undertake. Wing guns could be replaced by a 50-Imperial gallon (227-litre) tank (starboard) and a 24-Imperial gallon (109-litre) tank (port) to confer longer range; two 250-lb (113-kg.) bombs could be carried beneath the wings; eight 90-lb (41-kg) rocket projectiles could be carried in place of wing guns; and following experiments carried out in May 1942, it was made possible for the Beaufighter to carry and launch an American -or British-made standard marine torpedo. An initial batch of 16 Beaufighter VICs were similarly converted to equip No. 254 Squadron, and the resulting ‘Torbeaus’, as they were unofficially nicknamed, carried out a first successful operation against enemy shipping in early April 1943. This combination of Beaufighter and torpedo was to represent a most formidable weapon in the air-sea war.

Beaufighter VIFs were the first of the type to serve in the Burma-India theatre, used initially by No. 176 Squadron in the defence of Calcutta. Beaufighters of this mark was also used by four squadrons of the SAAF’s 1st Tactical Air Command during operations in the Mediterranean theatre. Beaufighter VIC’s which equipped Coastal Command were supplemented by an anti-shipping strike version designated TF. Mk X. These were powered by a modified version of the Hercules VI engine, designed to give peak output at low levels, and were also the first to standarise on AI Mk VIII radar mounted in a so-called ‘thimble-nose’, as his combination had been found to be particularly suitable for ASW use, as may be judged by the fact that Beaufighter TF. Mk Xs of Nos. 236 and 254 squadrons were to locate and destroy five German U-boats in the short space of 48 hours during March 1945. Other versions to serve with Coastal Command included 60 torpedo-carrying Mk VICs with Hercules XVI engines and eight underwing rockets in lieu of wing guns. These were designated Beaufighter VI (ITF), for interim Torpedo Fighter, and were employed to swell the ranks pending delivery of the TF. Mk Xs. These 60 were, in fact, subsequently converted to Mk X configuration. Final British production version was the Beaufighter XIC for Coastal Command, this being generally similar to the Mk X but without the ability to carry a torpedo, and the 163 of this version brought total British construction to over 5,500 aircraft.

Of these more than 50 had been supplied to Australia during 1941-42, and this country was to build under licence during 1944-5 a total of 364 aircraft, generally similar to the TF. Mk X, under the designation Beaufighter Mk 21. It was the Australian Beaufighters which, blasting Japanese naval and merchant ships without pity, were to earn for this superb aeroplane the picturesque if grim name “Whispering Death’. After the war, many of the RAF’s Beaufighters were converted to serve as target tugs, under the designation Beaufighter TT. 10, and the last example was withdrawn from service in 1960.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

David Mondey, The Hamlyn Concise Guide to British Aircraft of World War II, Chancellor Press, 2001.

©jmodels.net