jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

CAMS 37

Hidroavión francés
French seaplane


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(CAMS 37/2)
TECHNICAL DATA
(CAMS 37/2)
TIPO:Hidroavión triplaza de reconocimiento. TYPE:Three-seat reconnaissance flying boat.
TRIPULANTES:3 CREW:3
ENVERGADURA:14’5 m. SPAN:47.7 ft.
LONGITUD:11’432 m. LENGTH:37.6 ft.
ALTURA:4’04 m. HEIGHT:13.3 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:58 m². WING AREA:620 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:1.950 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:4,299 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor de pistón de 12 cilindros en W Lorraine 12Ed Courlis de 450 hp. (340 kW) con hélice bipala de paso fijo. ENGINE:One Lorraine 12Ed Courlis W-12 water-cooled piston engine developing 450 hp. (340 kW) and driving a 2-bladed fixed pitch propeller.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Dos ametralladoras orientables Lewis de 7’7 mm. a proa.
  • Dos ametralladoras orientables Lewis de 7’7 mm. en posición dorsal.
  • Hasta 300 kg. de bombas bajo las alas.
ARMAMENT:

  • Two trainable 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Lewis guns in bow position.
  • Two trainable 7.7 mm (0.303 in) Lewis guns in dorsal position.
  • 300 kg. (660 lb.) of bombs carried under lower wing.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:175 km/h. MAX. SPEED:109 mph.
TECHO:4.500 m. CEILING:14,800 ft.
ALCANCE:1.200 km (648 mil. náut.). RANGE:746 ml. (648 nmi.).
PRIMER VUELO:1926 FIRST FLIGHT:1926
VERSIONES:16 VERSIONS:16
CONSTRUIDOS:332 BUILT:332

De los muchos hidroaviones anticuados que aún servían en la Marina francesa al comienzo de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el más viejo era el CAMS 37 que había sido diseñado en 1925 por Maurice Hurel para la compañía Chantiers Aéro-Maritimes de la Seine. Destinado a ser empleado tanto desde bases en tierra como a bordo de buques, el CAMS 37 estaba fabricado totalmente de madera y llevaba un motor de 400 hp. Lorraine 12 Db de 12 cilindros en V instalado como impulsor y sujeto con tensores entre las alas. El prototipo hizo su primer vuelo en Sartrouville en 1926.

El prototipo fue denominado CAMS 37 R3b, cuyo sufijo indicaba Reconnaissance triplace de bord (Reconocimiento triplaza), pero el segundo avión tenía hélice de cuatro palas en lugar de la bipala del primero, un motor de doce cilindros en W Lorraine 12 Eb de 450 hp., nuevas superficies verticales de cola y tren de aterrizaje anfibio, siendo denominado CAMS 37A. Este último fue producido para la Marina francesa antes de finales de 1926 mediante un contrato en el que se solicitaron 15 aviones. Poco más tarde, el gobierno portugués hizo un pedido de 7 aparatos iguales, pero con motores de 450 hp. Hispano-Suiza 50 (12 Gb).

A partir del modelo básico se fabricaron con premura distintas variantes al recibirse más pedidos, entre ellos el modelo civil CAMS 37C con motor Lorraine 12 Eb y carlinga cerrada con espacio para 4 ocupantes. Uno de estos aviones fue modificado para crear el CAMS 37 GR (Grand Raid, Gran Autonomía). Este avión realizó un vuelo alrededor de África de 22.598 km. entre el 12 de octubre de 1926 y el 9 de marzo de 1927 con una tripulación de la Marina francesa. El CAMS 37 GR fue destinado posteriormente a la base naval de Saint Raphael donde realizó misiones de comunicación.

El prototipo CAMS 37A fue enviado a la Escadrille 4S1 destinada en Karouba (Túnez) en octubre de 1928 como entrenador y remolcador de blancos, siendo las primeras unidades navales que lo emplearon las Escadrilles 2S1, 3S1 y 4S1. El modelo también fue destinado al crucero Tourville y al acorazado Edgar Quinet en 1929 y 1930 respectivamente, aunque este último buque los transfirió al transporte de hidroaviones Bearn el 2 de agosto de 1930.
La Escadrille du Donnai fue creada en Cat-Laï (Indochina) el 1 de octubre de 1930 con un CAMS 37 Lia (Liaison, Enlace), versión del CAMS 37C civil, conocido posteriormente como CAMS 37/6 y CAMS 37/2, siendo el primero idéntico al CAMS 37A excepto en el hecho de no tener tren de aterrizaje. Esta unidad fue transferida a la Fuerza Aérea francesa con la denominación de Escadrille d’Indochine Nº 5.

En mayo de 1934, la Escadrille 4S1 comenzó a emplear el más grande CAMS 55/2, pero la producción del CAMS 37 siguió en Saint Denis con los modelos CAMS 37/2, hidroavión triplaza de observación, CAMS 37/6, anfibio tetraplaza de comunicaciones, CAMS 37/9, anfibio tetraplaza de transporte (4 fabricados) y con el hidroavión básico de entrenamiento CAMS 37/11 (también llamado 37E).

Todas las variantes llevaban el mismo motor y eran parecidas con la excepción del CAMS 37/9, cuyo casco era de metal y estaba escalonado. Entre los modelos probados pero no fabricados destacan el CAMS 37/3, anfibio de observación con casco reforzado, el CAMS 37/7, anfibio de comunicaciones con ruedas plegables hidráulicamente, el CAMS 37/12, anfibio civil, y el CAMS 37/13, ambulancia con casco de metal.

En 1935, además de las Escadrilles 2S1 y 3S1, comenzaron a emplear el CAMS 37 las unidades denominadas Sections de Servitude y Sections d’Entrainement, con un CAMS 37/6 destinado al transporte Bearn, dos CAMS 37A que operaban en el crucero de entrenamiento Jeanne d’Arc y la Ecole de Pilotage d’Hourtin poseía 15 entrenadores CAMS 37/11. Sin embargo, en el verano de 1936 la Escadrille 2S1 pasó a operar el CAMS 55/10, en 1938 la 3S1 recibió el Gourdou-Leseurre GL-812 y en 1939 la Escadrille d’Indochine Nº 5 volaba ya el Loire 130.

Al inicio de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el CAMS 37 había sido relegado a tareas de entrenamiento y comunicaciones. Con la movilización se crearon dos nuevas unidades, las Escadrilles 2S2 y 2S4 en Rochefort-sur-Mer y Lanvéoc, con tres y cuatro CAMS 37/11 respectivamente. Pese a que eran entrenadores, fueron usados para patrullar las aguas costeras francesas. La Escadrille 2S4 pasó a emplear aviones basados en tierra a principios de 1940, pero la 2S2 continuó haciendo uso del CAMS 37/11 hasta su disolución en agosto de 1940.

La Escadrille 8S5 basada en Tahití poseía un CAMS 37/11 cuando se transformó en una unidad de la Francia Libre en Julio de 1940 y siguió empleándolo hasta el 15 de enero de 1941, y, según se dice, otro CAMS 37 aún volaba con la Fuerza Aérea francesa en Indochina en 1942.



Of the many elderly seaplanes still serving with the French Navy at the beginning of the WW II, the eldest was the CAMS 37 which had been designed in 1925 by Maurice Hurel of the Chantiers Aéro-Maritimes de la Seine. Intended for both shore-based and shipboard use, the CAMS 37 was entirely of wooden construction and, powered by a 400 hp Lorraine 12 Db twelve-cylinder liquid-cooled V-engine installed as a pusher and braced between the wings, the prototype was flown for the first time at Sartrouville in 1926.

The prototype was known as the CAMS 37 R3b, the R3b suffix indicating Reconnaissance triplace de bord (three-seat), but the second aircraft had a four-blade airscrew in place of the original two-blader, a 450 hp Lorraine 12 Eb twelve-cylinder W-engine, redesigned vertical tail surfaces and an amphibious undercarriage, and was designated CAMS 37A. The latter was ordered into production for the French Navy before the end of 1926, a contract for fifteen CAMS 37A amphibians being placed. Shortly afterwards, the Portuguese government ordered seven similar machines powered by the 450 hp Hispano-Suiza 50 (12 Gb) engine.

Several variants of the basic design were quickly produced as further production orders were received, and a commercial model, the CAMS 37C, was evolved, this having the Lorraine 12 Eb engine and an enclosed cockpit accommodating four persons. One of these aircraft was modified as the CAMS 37 GR (Grand Raid) and, between October 12, 1926 and March 9, 1927, was flown a distance of 14,042 ml. (22,598 km.) around Africa by a French Navy crew. The CAMS 37 GR was subsequently handed over to the Saint Raphael naval air station for communications duties.

The prototype CAMS 37A was handed over to Escadrille 4S1 at Karouba late in October 1928 for training and target-towing, and the first French Navy units to operate the CAMS 37A were Escadrilles 2S1, 3S1 and 4S1, and aircraft of this type were delivered to the cruiser Tourville and the battleship Edgar Quinet in 1929 and 1930 respectively, although the latter vessel passed its flying boat over to the carrier Bearn on August 2, 1930.

The Escadrille du Donnai was formed at Cat-Laï, Indochina, on October 1, 1930, with one CAMS 37 Lia (Liaison), a military liaison version of the civil CAMS 37C later known as the CAMS 37/6, and CAMS 37/2 flying boats, the latter being identical to the CAMS 37A apart from having no amphibious undercarriage. This unit was eventually transferred to the French AF as the Escadrille d’Indochine No.5.

In May 1934, Escadrille 4S1 converted to the larger CAMS 55/2, but production of the CAMS 37 continued at Saint Denis, the principal models being the CAMS 37/2 three-seat observation flying boat, the CAMS 37/6 four-seat communications amphibian, the CAMS 37/9 four-seat transport amphibian (four built), and the CAMS 37/11 (sometimes known as the 37E) non-amphibious basic trainer.

All variants were similarly powered and of similar construction with the exception of the CAMS 37/9 which had an all-metal two-step hull. Variants tested but not placed in production included the CAMS 37/3 observation amphibian with a strengthened hull, the CAMS 37/7 communications amphibian with hydraulically raised wheels, the CAMS 37/12 commercial amphibian, and the CAMS 37/13 metal-hulled ambulance.

By 1935, in addition to Escadrilles 2S1 and 3S1, the Sections de Servitude and Sections d’Entrainement were operating the CAMS 37, one CAMS 37/6 was based aboard the Bearn, two CAMS 37A aircraft were operated by the training cruiser Jeanne d’Arc, and the Ecole de Pilotage d’Hourtin possessed fifteen CAMS 37/11 trainers. However, in the summer of 1936, Escadrille 2S1 converted to the CAMS 55/10, in 1938 3S1 converted to the Gourdou-Leseurre GL-812, and in 1939 the Escadrille d’Indochine No.5 converted to the Loire 130.

By the beginning of the WW II, the CAMS 37 had been relegated entirely to the training and communications roles. With mobilization, two new units were formed, Escadrilles 2S2 and 2S4 at Rochefort-sur-Mer and Lanvéoc, these possessing four and three CAMS 37/11 flying boats respectively, and despite the fact that these were trainers, the aircraft were used to patrol French coastal waters. Escadrille 2S4 converted to land-based aircraft early in 1940, but 2S2 continued to operate the CAMS 37/11 on patrol until disbanded in August 1940.

Escadrille 8S5 based in Tahiti possessed one CAMS 37/11 when it became a Free French unit in July 1940, and continued operating this until January 15, 1941, and another CAMS 37 was reportedly still flying with the French AF in Indochina in 1942.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

Johan Visschedijk (1000aircraftphotos.com)
Ugolok Neba

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: