Convair F-106 Delta Dart

Interceptor norteamericano
U.S. Interceptor fighter

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(F-106A)
TECHNICAL DATA
(F-106A)
TIPO:Caza interceptor monoplaza. TYPE:One-seat interceptor fighter.
TRIPULANTES:1 CREW:1
ENVERGADURA:11’67 m. SPAN:38.3 ft.
LONGITUD:21’57 m. LENGTH:70.8 ft.
ALTURA:6’18 m. HEIGHT:20.3 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:64’75 m². WING AREA:697 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:11.276 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:24,861 lb.
MOTOR:Un turborreactor Pratt & Whitney J75-P-17 estabilizado a 7.082 kg de empuje en seco y a 11.113 kg con poscombustión. ENGINE:One Pratt & Whitney J75-P-17 turbojet, 17,200 lb.s.t. dry and 24,500 lb.s.t with afterburning.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Dos cohetes nucleares Douglas AIR 2A Genie aire-aire.
  • Cuatro misiles aire-aire AIM-4 Falcon.
  • Un cañón de 20 mm. M61A1 Vulcan.

ARMAMENT:

  • Two Douglas AIR-2A Genie air-to-air nuclear tipped rockets.
  • Four AIM-4 Falcon air-to-air missiles.
  • M61A1 Vulcan 20mm cannon.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:2.137 km/h. MAX. SPEED:1,328 mph.
TECHO:16.062 m. CEILING:52,700 ft.
ALCANCE:4.594 km. RANGE:1,809 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:26 de Diciembre 1956. FIRST FLIGHT:26 December 1956.
VERSIONES:9 VERSIONS:9
CONSTRUIDOS:342 BUILT:342

Oficialmente designado F-102B (Modelo 8-21) hasta el 17 de junio de 1956, el F-106 fue el concepto original del programa para el “interceptor 1954” (WS 201B) que decayó con los problemas surgidos en el desarrollo del F-102A. Al incrementarse las tensiones de la Guerra Fría, se hizo hincapié en conseguir hacer operativo al F-102A en lugar de considerarlo un diseño interino. Así, un año más tarde de lo programado, sólo se solicitaron diecisiete F-102B (56-451/467) el 28 de abril de 1955 con motores Pratt & Whitney J75-P-9 en lugar del previsto y achacoso Wright J67 (Bristol Olympus construido bajo licencia). En septiembre siguiente, la USAF especificó que el nuevo avión estaría disponible en agosto de 1958. También se esperaba que el F-106A lograse interceptar blancos con la ayuda de los centros de control en tierra (SAGE) en un radio máximo de 692 km. y 21.300 metros de altitud (luego reducidos a los 15.200 metros), y que fuese capaz de emplear sus misiles nucleares y cohetes mediante el sistema de control de disparo Hughes MA-1.

El ala del F-106A era similar a la del F-102A, pero el fuselaje fue ampliamente modificado con perfiles más aerodinámicos al trasladar las entradas de aire más hacia popa y más cerca del motor. Se cambió el perfil de la deriva y el timón y se le instaló un nuevo tren de aterrizaje que incluía tren delantero de doble rueda. Al igual que en el F-102, el armamento iba alojado internamente pero se actualizó con dos misiles nucleares no guiados Douglas MB-1 (AIR-2A o 2B) Genie y cuatro misiles guiados por radar o infrarrojos Hughes GAR-3 o 4 (AIM-4E or G) Falcon.

El primer vuelo tuvo lugar en la base de Edwards el 26 de diciembre de 1956, volando el segundo aparato justo dos meses después. Las pruebas iniciales llevaron al F-106A a una velocidad de Mach 1.9 y 17.400 metros de altura, pero aún estaba por debajo de las expectativas debido a los problemas de diseño y a la escasa fiabilidad del motor J75-P-9. A inicios de 1957 todo el programa estuvo en peligro a causa de recortes presupuestarios y problemas adicionales, como los surgidos con el sistema MA-1 y el diseño de la carlinga. Originalmente, la palanca de mando ocupaba su tradicional posición central pero fue trasladada a un lado ante la insistencia de la USAF de permitir al piloto una visión nítida del Indicador de Situación Horizontal (HSI). Sin embargo, la USAF cambió de opinión y la palanca, con una empuñadura a dos manos para el avión y el control del radar, volvió a su posición inicial en los aviones de serie. Convair también propuso un sistema de eyección mediante el cual el asiento giraba de manera que el piloto salía sobre su espalda con los pies por delante. Se adoptó un método más convencional, aunque éste no se actualizó a capacidad supersónica hasta 1960. Los primeros aviones llevaban alambrados interiores en las alas como el F-102, pero los aparatos de serie tenían en su lugar ranuras en los bordes de ataque.

A mediados de 1957, cuando el modelo fue designado Delta Dart, se planeó adquirir mil aviones para 40 escuadrillas del Mando de Defensa Aérea (ADC), pero hacia mediados de 1958 el total se redujo a un tercio, número que permitió equipar a sólo 14 escuadrillas y una unidad de entrenamiento. Así, sólo se solicitaron 260 F-106 adicionales y se realizaron actualizaciones de las series anteriores para adaptarlas al Modelo 24. Los primeros 12 aparatos fueron llamados temporalmente JF-106A para pruebas de vuelo pero se llegaron a emplear un total de 37 (incluidos los dos primeros aparatos) en pruebas de desarrollo de velocidad.

Además se pidieron 63 biplazas Modelo 8-27 el 3 de agosto de 1956, cuyo primer vuelo tuvo lugar el 9 de abril de 1958. La configuración en tándem fue la escogida para evitar los problemas que tuvo la configuración en paralelo del F-102. El puesto trasero redujo la capacidad de combustible y supuso el desplazamiento de la aviónica a la bodega de armas. Inicialmente se pensó como simple entrenador designado TF-102B y más tarde TF-106A, finalmente se cambió a F-106B cuando la USAF solicitó que tuviese también plena capacidad de combate. Los primeros 8 aparatos fueron designados temporalmente JF-106B en las pruebas y la primera entrega tuvo lugar en febrero de 1959. Sin embargo el entrenador sufrió idénticos problemas de diseño que el monoplaza y no se declaró operativo hasta julio de 1960.

La producción continuó hasta diciembre de 1960, siendo los Modelo 8-31 y 8-32 (F-106B) los últimos con sistema MA-1 mejorado, asiento eyectable supersónico, paneles de instrumentos dispuestos verticalmente y capacidad para 870 litros de combustible en depósitos externos.

Mediante el proyecto llamado Wild Goose, Convair reconstruyó la mayoría de los F-106A a este modelo citado a partir de septiembre de 1960. A lo largo de su prolongada vida operativa, los F-106 fueron constantemente modernizados. A finales de 1960, el proyecto Broad Jump cubrió mejoras generales, Dart Board (de agosto del 61 a abril del 62) aportó los asientos eyectables Convair y solucionó problemas de apagado del motor en vuelo, y en 1963 se le añadió el sistema de anaveaje Sheaffer, siendo el primer avión de la USAF equipado con él, tras cuatro años de pruebas con el prototipo. El sistema TACAN (Navegación Táctica) y los asientos cero-cero se instalaron en 1965, dos años después se le dotó de capacidad de repostaje en vuelo además de tanques externos de 1.300 litros de capacidad, y en 1972 una cubierta transparente que mejoraba la visibilidad. Tras demostrar su buena capacidad en el combate cerrado, algunos aparatos fueron dotados de un cañón interno Vulcan de 20 mm. aunque esta modificación (proyecto Six Shooter) no se adoptó en los F-106B. Al mismo tiempo, también se instalaron aviónicas de alerta temprana y contramedidas electrónicas.

Hubo otros modelos del Delta Dart que nunca se construyeron. El conocido inicialmente como F-106X, el F-106C/D (Modelos 8-28 y 8-29) fue un estudio de 1956 para diseñar un interceptor de velocidad Mach 5 y canards dotado del motor Pratt & Whitney J75, entradas de aire rectangulares y un radar con pantalla de 1 metro. El 23 de septiembre de 1958 los 350 aviones propuestos fueron desestimados pero dos F-106A, designados YF-106C, realizaron diez vuelos de prueba con el nuevo radar y un morro alargado en 1’5 metros desde la primavera de 1959. El F-106E/F proponía un radar orientado hacia abajo alojado en el morro alargado en 50 cm. En 1967 la misma designación F-106X se usó para el plan de modificar la estructura de más de 200 F-106 y mejorarles la aviónica con un coste de 5 millones de dólares por aparato para realizar misiones como Interceptor Tripulado Avanzado. Este Dart modificado habría tenido un alcance de 3.800 km, velocidad Mach 2 y posibilidad de operar con AWACS.

Los primeros F-106A los recibió la Escuadrilla 498ª en la base Geiger, Washington, en mayo de 1959, siendo el avión completamente operativo a partir del 31 de octubre de aquel año. Las restantes 13 escuadrillas fueron reequipadas a finales del año siguiente y el último Dart fue entregado el 20 de julio de 1961. El 15 de diciembre de 1959, un Dart pilotado por el Mayor Joseph W. Rogers en la base de Edwards volvió a ganar el récord absoluto de velocidad para los EE.UU. con una velocidad de 2.454 km/h a 12.360 metros y aunque volvió a perderse dos años más tarde, el récord de velocidad de un avión monomotor se mantuvo más tiempo. Otro F-106, pilotado por el Mayor Frank Forsyth, consiguió realizar un vuelo sin paradas bajo control automático desde tierra en la base Edward Tyndall de Florida el 23 de marzo de 1960. Aunque el Dart fue desplegado por breve tiempo en la base de Osan, Corea del Sur, en marzo de 1968 durante el incidente del USS Pueblo, el modelo nunca fue usado en combate.

A inicios de la década de los 70, dado que no estaba previsto un modelo nuevo que lo sustituyera, los F-106 que aún quedaban en once escuadrillas incrementaron su vida operativa de 4.000 a 8.000 horas. Dede 1972 el McDonnell Douglas F-15 comenzó a reemplazar al Dart, que fue transferido a escuadrillas de la Guardia Nacional de California, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, y Nueva Jersey. La última escuadrilla reequipada con Dart y también la última en usarlos, la 119ª basada en Atlantic City (Nueva Jersey), realizó su última misión de alerta con el F-106 el 7 de julio de 1988, habiendo sido transferidos todos sus aviones a la base Davis-Monthan en Arizona para el 20 de agosto siguiente. A pesar de ser el caza de la USAF con mayor número de horas de pilotaje, el F-106 marcó también el menor número de accidentes de un monomotor en la historia de la Fuerza Aérea.

A inicios de 1986 se inició el programa Pacer Six para convertir 192 Dart almacenados en la base Davis Monthan en QF-106A mediante un contrato otorgado a Flight System Inc. de Mojave (California). El primer aparato no tripulado fue volado en julio de 1987 y el resto son empleados en las bases de Tyndall y Holloman desde 1989. El Centro de Logística Aérea de San Antonio en Tejas empleaba otros dos Dart tripulados, un F-106A (59-0061) y un B (57-2513), aún a inicios de 1990 en pruebas con el Rockwell B-1 en la base Kelly.



Officially designated F-102B (Model 8-21) until 17 June, 1956, the F-106 was the original concept for the ‘1954 Interceptor’ programme (WS 201B) that slipped with the F-102A development problems. With Cold War tensions increasing, emphasis was placed on achieving operational status with the F-102A rather than treating it as an interim design. Thus, only seventeen F-102Bs (56-451/467) were ordered on 28 April, 1955, with Pratt & Whitney J75-P-9s instead of the intended and ailing Wright J67 (licence-built Bristol Olympus), now a year behind schedule. The following September, the USAF specified that the new aircraft would become available in August 1958 and that the F-106A was expected to be able to intercept targets under the control of Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) centres up to a radius of 430 miles and 70,000ft altitude and launch nuclear missiles and rockets with the Hughes MA-1 fire control system. Later this requirement was reduced to 50,0000ft.

The wing of the F-106A was similar to that of the F-102A, but the fuselage was extensively modified with a more streamlined shape with the variable ramp air intakes moved well aft of the nose, closer to the engine. The fin and rudder shape was also changed and a new undercarriage installed with steerable twin-nose-wheels. As on the F-102, the armament was housed internally but upgraded to two Douglas MB-1 (AIR-2A or 2B) Genie unguided nuclear missiles and four Hughes GAR-3 or 4 (AIM-4E or G) Falcon radar or infrared missiles.

The first flight was made at Edwards AFB on 26 December, 1956, and the second aircraft (56-452) flew exactly two months later. Early testing took the F-106A to Mach 1.9 and 57,000ft but that was still short of expectations because of airframe design problems and the poor reliability of the J75-P-9 engine. Early in 1957, the whole programme was in jeopardy because of budget cuts and further problems, including those with the MA-1 and the cockpit layout. Originally, the control column occupied the tradition centre location but was moved to the side at USAF insistence to allow an unrestricted view by the pilot of the Horizontal Situation Indicator (HSI). However, the USAF changed its mind again and the column, with a unique two-handed grip for both aircraft and radar control, was returned to the centre for production aircraft. Convair also proposed an ejection system in which the seat rotated and pilot emerged feet first and on his back. A more conventional method was adopted, although this was not upgraded to supersonic capability until 1960. Initial aircraft had boundary layer fences as on the F-102, but production aircraft had wing leading-edge slots instead.

In mid-1957, when the type was named Delta Dart, it was planned to acquire one thousand aircraft for forty Air Defense Command (ADC) squadrons but by September 1958 the total had been reduced to a third, enabling just fourteen squadrons and a training unit to be equipped. Thus, only a further 260 F-106As were ordered and modifications brought the earlier aircraft up to this Model 24 standard. The first twelve aircraft were temporarily designated JF-I06A for flight tests but a total of thirty-seven (including the two initial aircraft) were used to speed development tests.

Additionally, sixty-three tandem two-seat Model 8-27 were ordered on 3 August, 1956, and the first flight was made on 9 April, 1958. The layout was chosen to avoid the problems experienced with the side-by-side trainer version of the F-102 and the aft cockpit reduced fuel capacity and displaced the avionics to the weapons bay. Originally intended as a pure trainer designated TF-102B then TF-106A, F-106B was eventually used when full combat capability was specified by the USAF. The first eight aircraft were temporarily designated JF-106B for flight tests and the first delivery made in February 1959. However, the F-106B suffered from the same development problems as the single-seater and was not declared operational until July 1960.

Production continued until December 1960, the last aircraft being ModeJ 8-31s and 8-32s (F-106Bs) with improved MA-1, supersonic ejector seat, vertical display instrument panels and with provision for 230 US gal external fuel tanks.

Under the project name Wild Goose, most of the earlier F-106As were rebuilt by Convair to this standard from September 1960. Throughout its long service life, the F-106 was constantly upgraded. In late 1960, Broad Jump covered general improvements, the Dart Board (August 1961-April 1962) provided Convair ejector seat, plus addressed a flame-out problem, and in 1963, aircraft were fitted with a Sheaffer Spring Hook arrestor system, the first USAF combat aircraft so-equipped, following tests with the prototype four years earlier. TACAN (Tactical Navigation) and zero-zero ejector seats were installed in 1965, inflight refuelling capability two years later, plus supersonic 360 US gal external tanks, and in 1972, a clear canopy for improved vision. After the F-106 exhibited a remarkable dog fighting ability, a 20mm Vulcan cannon was fitted internally to some aircraft although this modification (project Six Shooter), along with the new canopy, was not adopted for the F-106B. At the same time, ECM and early-warning avionics were installed.

A number of other Delta Dart models were proposed but remained unbuilt. Originally known as the F-I06X, the F-I06C/D (Model 8-28/ 8-29) was a 1956 study for a Mach 5 canard layout interceptor with a Pratt & Whitney J75, rectangular intakes and a 40in radar dish. On 23 September, 1958, a proposed 350 aircraft were cancelled but two F-I06As were designated YF-106Cs and made ten flights to test the new radar housing with a 5ft nose extension from spring 1959. The F-106E/F was proposed with a lookdown radar in a 21 in extended nose. In 1967, the second use of the F-I06X designation covered the plan to modify over two hundred F-I06s structurally and with improved avionics at $5 million each to undertake the Improved Manned Interceptor role. The modified Dart would have had a range of 1,500 miles plus Mach 2 capability and operate in conjunction with AWACS.

First deliveries of the F-106A were made to the 498th FIS, Geiger AFB, Washington, in May 1959, and the Dart was operational by 31 October that year. The remaining 13 squadrons were re-equipped by the end of the following year and the last Dart was delivered on 20 July, 1961. On 15 December, 1959, a Dart flown by Maj. Joseph W Rogers at Edwards regained the absolute speed record for the USA with a speed of 1,525.6mph at 40,550ft and although this was lost two years later, the single-engined aircraft speed record was held far longer. Another F-106, flown by Maj Frank Forsyth, achieved a nonstop Edward Tyndall AFB, Florida, flight on 23 March, 1960, completely under automatic ground control. Although it was briefly deployed to Osan AB, Korea, in March 1968 to provide air defence during the Pueblo incident, the Dart never saw combat.

During the early 1970s, as no replacement aircraft were in sight, surviving F-106s with eleven ADC squadrons had their service life increased from 4,000 to 8,000 hours. From 1972, the McDonnell Douglas F-15 started to replace the Dart and aircraft were passed to six ANG squadrons in California, Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, and New Jersey. The last of these squadrons eventually reequipped with the F-16A and the last Dart unit, the 119 FIS at Atlantic City, New Jersey, flew its final alert duty with the F-I06 on 7 July, 1988, and by 20 August, all its aircraft had been ferried to Davis-Monthan AFB, Arizona. Despite having the heaviest pilot workload of any USAF fighter, the F-106 recorded the lowest single-engined aircraft accident record in USAF history.

Pacer Six programme for the conversion of 192 Darts stored at Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona, to QF-106As started early in 1986 and a contract was awarded to Flight Systems Inc at Mojave, Califomia. First flown in July 1987, the target drones will be expended at Tyndall and Holloman from 1989. Two other manned Darts were still in use in early 1990, an F-I06A (59-0061) and an F-I06B (57-2513), both used as Rockwell B-1 chase aircraft by the San Antonio Air Logistics Center at Kelly AFB, Texas.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

John Wegg, General Dynamics Aircraft and their Predecessors, Putnam, 1990.
F-106 Delta Dart.com The Ultimate Interceptor

©jmodels.net