jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

De Havilland DH.100 Vampire


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(Vampire FB.6)
TECHNICAL DATA
(Vampire FB.6)
TIPO:Avión de caza. TYPE:Fighter aircraft.
TRIPULANTES:1 CREW:1
ENVERGADURA:12 m. SPAN:38 ft.
LONGITUD:9,37 m. LENGTH:30.9 ft.
ALTURA:2,69 m. HEIGHT:8.10 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:24,3 m². WING AREA:262 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:3.304 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:7,283 lb.
MOTOR:Un turborreactor de flujo centrífugo de Havilland Goblin 3 de 14,9 kN (1.519 kgp.) de empuje. ENGINE:One de Havilland Goblin 3 centrifugal-flow turbojet engine, developing 14.9 kN (3,350 lbf .) thrust.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Cuatro cañones de 20 mm. Hispano Mk. V con 150 proyectiles cada uno.
  • Ocho cohetes de 3 pulgadas.
  • Dis bombas de 225 kg. o dos depósitos de combustible.
ARMAMENT:

  • Four 20 mm (0.79 in.) Hispano Mk.V cannon with 150 rounds per gun.
  • Eight 3-inch «60 lb» rockets
  • Two 500 lb. (225 kg.) bombs or two drop-tanks.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:882 km/h. MAX. SPEED:548 mph.
TECHO:13.000 m. CEILING:42,800 ft.
ALCANCE:1.960 km. RANGE:1,220 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:20 de septiembre de 1943. FIRST FLIGHT:20 September 1943.
VERSIONES:44 VERSIONS:44
CONSTRUIDOS:3.268 (Todos los modelos). BUILT:3,268 (All variants).

Durante la década de 1930, un oficial de la Real Fuerza Aérea Británica (RAF) llamado Frank Whittle realizó una investigación sobre la propulsión de turborreactores, lo que llevó al primer vuelo de un avión a reacción británico, el Gloster G.40 o Gloster Whittle, el 15 de mayo de 1940. El motor del G.40 fue construido por la compañía Power Jets de Whittle y tenía una configuración de flujo centrífugo, lo que significa que su compresor se basaba en un impulsor como el de una bomba, no en una serie de ventiladores como se usa en los turborreactores de flujo axial más modernos. Los motores de flujo centrífugo finalmente resultarían ser un callejón sin salida en lo que respecta a los aviones a reacción de alta velocidad, aunque los motores turbohélice y turboeje todavía utilizan a menudo la configuración. Sin embargo, al comienzo de la era del jet, el turborreactor de flujo centrífugo era perfectamente efectivo y mucho más fácil de poner en servicio que el motor de flujo axial.

Debido a las presiones de la guerra, el desarrollo de los conceptos de Whittle fue lento durante unos años, pero a principios de 1943 el trabajo se encarriló, con las empresas Rolls-Royce y de Havilland trabajando en motores de flujo centrífugo mejorados y más potentes basados ​​en los conceptos de Whittle. Gloster estaba trabajando en un caza a reacción bimotor con dichos motores, llamado Meteor, que realizó su primer vuelo el 5 de marzo de 1943.

El Ministerio del Aire británico también estaba interesado en un caza a reacción simple, liviano y monomotor con un armamento de cuatro cañones de 20 mm., según se definía en la Especificación E.6 / 41. Un equipo de diseño de de Havilland, dirigido por el presidente de la empresa, Sir Geoffrey de Havilland, y con el diseñador jefe R.E. Bishop, ideó el concepto de diseño DH.100 de doble cola basado en el motor de flujo centrífugo Halford H.1, un derivado del Whittle que estaba desarrollando Frank Halford para de Havilland. A los funcionarios del Ministerio del Aire les gustó la idea y realizaron un pedido de dos prototipos en abril de 1942, y pronto aumentaron el número a tres.

El trabajo fue lento durante un tiempo, ya que tanto de Havilland como el Ministerio del Aire estaban más centrados en otros proyectos, pero en noviembre de 1942 se planteó la prioridad en el trabajo en el DH.100. Al proyecto se le asignó el nombre en clave Spider Crab (Cangrejo Araña). El vuelo inicial del primer prototipo fue el 20 de septiembre de 1943, con Geoffrey de Havilland JR, piloto de pruebas jefe de la compañía e hijo del fundador, a los mandos. Esta máquina estaba propulsada por un turborreactor Halford H.1 con 12,0 kN (1.225 kgp.) de empuje y estaba desarmado. El vuelo fue satisfactorio, aunque hubo problemas, como alerones hipersensibles y cierta inestabilidad de guiñada.

El primer vuelo del segundo prototipo, con una configuración similar al primero, fue el 17 de marzo de 1944. El tercer prototipo llevaba armamento y un motor Halford H.1A, con el mismo empuje que el H.1 pero más robusto en diseño. El tercer avión realizó su vuelo inicial antes que el segundo, el 21 de enero de 1944. El programa de prueba y evaluación se desarrolló sin problemas, aunque el inconveniente de la inestabilidad resultó un poco complicado de resolver.

Se firmó un contrato de producción de 120 ejemplares del Vampire Fighter Mark I o Vampire F.1 en mayo de 1944, habiendo sido seleccionado el nombre Vampire el mes anterior. Originalmente fue designado F.I, la RAF todavía usaba números romanos en ese momento, y la denominación F.1 fue asignada posteriormente: La designación F.1 se utiliza aquí por conveniencia. El vuelo inicial de un F.1 de producción fue el 20 de abril de 1945. El primer prototipo se perdió el 23 de julio de 1945, cuando cayó tras el despegue por un fallo en la bomba de combustible, aunque el piloto, Geoffrey Pike, salió ileso. Tras varias pruebas, los otros dos prototipos acabaron en museos del Reino Unido.

El Vampire era un avión elegante y distintivo, con una cápsula en el fuselaje central, una cola doble unida a las alas montadas en el medio, con tren de aterrizaje triciclo de patas cortas operado hidráulicamente. Todos los conjuntos de engranajes tenían ruedas simples, con la rueda de morro retraíble hacia atrás y el engranaje principal abisagrado en las alas para retraerse hacia afuera. Las tomas de aire estaban en las raíces de las alas, con placas delante de las tomas para evitar la ingestión del flujo de aire estancado de la «capa límite»; el motor estaba en la parte trasera del fuselaje y montado entre los brazos de cola. La configuración de doble cola minimizó la longitud del conducto de admisión y el tubo de escape, reduciendo las pérdidas por fricción.

Las alas estaban enteladas y llevaban un alerón fuera de borda y una aleta dividida por el brazo de cola en el interior de cada ala; había un freno de aire justo fuera de la aleta en forma de panel. Todos los controles eran accionados a través de conexiones de cable. Las aletas de la cola eran de forma trapezoidal con un plano de cola recto entre ellas; el plano de cola no se extendía fuera de las aletas en el F.1. Había un patín debajo de la parte trasera de cada brazo.

La mayor parte del fuselaje estaba hecho de un sándwich de tablones de balsa entre láminas de madera contrachapada de abeto, y el fuselaje construido en mitades sobre moldes utilizando pegamentos. Las mitades se equiparon, ensamblaron y cubrieron con lona gruesa. De Havilland había desarrollado esta tecnología y la había utilizado con los sus aviones Mosquito y Hornet. El resto del Vampire estaba hecho de metal, principalmente aleación de aluminio para aviones.

El piloto se sentaba en la zona de proa, con un excelente campo de visión hacia adelante. Aunque los prototipos y los primeros F.1 de producción presentaban una cubierta de tres secciones, el 87º F.1 introdujo una cubierta en forma de «lágrima» de una sola pieza, que era mucho más resistente y proporcionaba una mejor vista panorámica. La mayor parte de la producción inicial se reacondicionó con esta cubierta. El parabrisas era de vidrio blindado, con un sistema de descongelación de glicol, y la cubierta se deslizaba hacia atrás para abrirse. No había asiento eyectable y, de hecho, la RAF nunca volaría un Vampire de un solo asiento con dicho modelo.

Se colocó una placa de blindaje en la parte posterior del asiento y se instaló un panel de blindaje en la parte delantera del tablero. La aviónica era simple, como lo era generalmente en ese momento, y consistía en una unidad de identificación Amigo / Enemigo (IFF) y una radio de cuatro canales. No parece que se instalara ningún sistema de navegación por radio, pero es posible que la radio tuviera una función de brújula. La presurización de la cabina se introdujo en el 51º F.1, pero no se adaptó a aviones anteriores.

La capacidad interna de combustible era de 918 litros, dividida entre un solo tanque de fuselaje con una capacidad de 436 litros y un tanque en cada ala interior, proporcionando una capacidad de 241 litros cada uno. Los tres tanques estaban hechos de metal y presumiblemente eran autosellantes. También podía llevar un tanque externo con una capacidad de 227 litros o 455 litros debajo de cada ala. El avión estaba armado con cuatro cañones Hispano Mark V de 20 mm. en la parte inferior del morro, con un máximo de 150 disparos por arma. Eran apuntados por una mira de tipo reflector. Había una cámara para el armamento en el morro.

El F.1 estaba propulsado inicialmente por el turborreactor de Havilland Goblin 1, que era el modelo de producción del Halford H.IA y presentaba el mismo empuje, 12.0 kN (1.225 kgp.). El 41º F.1 introdujo el Goblin 2, con 16.7 kN (1.705 kgp.) de empuje. Por cierto, Goblin también era el nombre de una popular marca de aspiradoras, una coincidencia que no pasó desapercibida para los bromistas de la RAF. El acceso al motor se realizaba a través de carenados superiores e inferiores extraíbles, además de cuatro puertas de servicio.

El F.1 entró en servicio de la RAF con el Escuadrón 247 en marzo de 1946, volando en el papel de interceptor. Luego entró en servicio con la Segunda Fuerza Aérea Táctica en Alemania, reemplazando a los Typhoon, Tempest y Mustang en el papel de apoyo cercano, y con la Fuerza Aérea Auxiliar Británica. La producción del F.1 se transfirió a la empresa English Electric, que construyó 228, incluidos cuatro para evaluación por Suiza y 70 (denominados J 28A) para Suecia. Algunos de los F.1 acabarían utilizándose para ensayos de otras variantes.

El Vampire era conocido por los pilotos de la RAF como el «coche volador para niños», posiblemente debido a su apariencia ligeramente similar a un juguete. Parece que los propios pilotos estaban muy entusiasmados con su montura. No tenía un exceso de potencia, lo que le daba una velocidad de ascenso lenta y un rendimiento poco espectacular en altitud, pero mostraba una agradable combinación de agilidad y manejo dócil, por ello se consideraba divertido de volar. Aparentemente, sus peores problemas fueron su alcance limitado y el hecho de que no daba mucha advertencia en las pérdidas.

Aunque la gran mayoría de los Vampire funcionaban con motores de Havilland Goblin, hubo una rama de la familia que funcionaba con el turborreactor de flujo centrífugo Rolls Royce Nene, otro descendiente de los diseños de Whittle por un camino diferente. El Nene era más potente, aunque más pesado que el Goblin. Tres de los Vampire F.1 se convirtieron a la configuración Vampire F.2 (originalmente F.II) al estar equipados con un turborreactor Nene RB.41, que proporciona 20.0 kN (2.040 kgp.) de empuje. El motor Nene requería un flujo de aire adicional, que era proporcionado por un par de tomas de aire sobre el motor, conocidas como «orejas de elefante«.

La RAF hizo un pedido de 60 F.2, pero resultó que solo dos de ese pedido se completaron. Los planes para obtener una variante de ataque a tierra Vampire F.4 con el motor Nene fracasaron, y nunca se construyó tal variante. Sin embargo, la Real Fuerza Aérea Australiana (RAAF) encontró la variante interesante y arregló la producción con licencia local de 80 Vampires con el motor Nene fabricados por Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC).

El primer Vampire construido en Australia realizó su vuelo inicial el 29 de junio de 1949, con John «BlackJack» Walker a los mandos. Los primeros 57 del lote se denominaron F.30. La producción inicial tenía las tomas de orejas de elefante en la parte superior, como se ve en los prototipos F.2, pero esta configuración provocó problemas de manejo a alta velocidad y las tomas auxiliares se trasladaron a la panza, modificándose en consecuencia la producción inicial.

Los últimos 23 del lote, construidos en 1952 y 1953, presentaban alas recortadas y más fuertes. Se les dio la designación de Fighter Bomber Mark 31 (FB.31). Los últimos 28 F.30 construidos se convirtieron a la especificación FB.31 en 1956. Se trabajó en un FB.32 con tomas de motor principales más grandes y un asiento eyectable. Se utilizaron dos F.30 para las pruebas, pero se canceló el programa.

Tras las entregas de Vampires de la RAF y la concesión de la licencia de lo que equivalía a la variante FB.5, el Armée de l’Air (AA) francés también obtuvo un Vampire impulsado por Nene, construido con licencia según sus especificaciones por la Sociedad Nacional de Construcciones Aeronáuticas del Sureste en Francia. El cambio principal fue el uso del turborreactor de flujo centrífugo Nene 102 construido por Hispano con un empuje de 22,3 kN (2.270 kgp.). Las tomas auxiliares en forma de oreja de elefante nunca funcionaron tan bien, se proporcionaron entradas principales más grandes para garantizar un flujo de aire adecuado. Otros cambios incluyeron una mayor capacidad de combustible y presurización de la cabina. Se construyeron cuatro prototipos, designados Mark 53 por de Havilland y SE.530 Mistral por Sud-Est. El primero voló el 1 de abril de 1951 con Jacques Lecarme a los mandos.

El modelo entró en producción con un motor Nene 102B con la denominación SE.532 Mistral en diciembre, con 93 de esa variante en construcción. Se parecía mucho a un FB.5, excepto por tomas de motor notablemente más anchas y sin placas de capa límite del fuselaje frente a las tomas.

A los SE 532 le siguieron 150 SE.535, con el Nene 104, con el mismo empuje que el Nene 102 pero con varias mejoras y asientos eyectables. Al parecer, los asientos eyectables también se adaptaron a los SE.532. El último Mistral se entregó en marzo de 1954. El modelo entró en servicio en el AA en 1952, y el último se retiró en 1961.

El principal problema de todos los primeros aviones era el alcance deficiente, y el Vampire F.1 no fue una excepción. Con combustible interno, el vuelo típico era de solo 45 minutos. Agregar dos tanques de alas alargaba la duración a dos horas. En junio de 1945, se instaló un F.1 en una nueva ala que agregó tanques de ala exteriores, con tres tanques en cada ala exterior junto con el tanque original en el ala interior, elevando la capacidad interna total de combustible en 582 litros, con un total de 1.500 litros. El sistema de combustible contaba con reabastecimiento de combustible de un solo punto.

Junto con el aumento del combustible interno, se desarrollaron nuevos tanques externos, con capacidades de 455 litros o 909 litros cada uno. Los tanques más grandes aumentaron la inestabilidad de guiñada, por lo que se modificó el conjunto de la cola con aletas traseras curvas más grandes en lugar de las aletas traseras trapezoidales originales; el plano de la cola más bajo, para simplificar la fabricación; y carenados prominentes en las uniones del plano de cola y las aletas traseras para garantizar un flujo de aire suave.

El primer Vampire F.3 voló el 4 de noviembre de 1946. Llevaba el motor Goblin 2 porque necesitaba más potencia, ya que el peso máximo de despegue había aumentado en un 50%. El alcance y la resistencia se duplicaron. Las entregas de aviones de producción comenzaron en la primavera de 1947, con un total de 224 construidos entre 1947 y 1949. La mayor parte de ellos, 118, fueron a la RAF. La Royal Navy también obtuvo seis, Canadá obtuvo 86, Noruega 10, India tres y Suecia uno.

Al enterarse de que los estadounidenses estaban planeando la primera travesía del Atlántico de un reactor, los británicos decidieron vencerlos. En julio de 1948, seis Vampire F.3 de la RAF bajo el mando del líder de escuadrón R.W. Oxspring se convirtieron en los primeros reactores en cruzar el Atlántico, realizando saltos a través de Islandia, Groenlandia, Labrador y Terranova para terminar en los EE. UU. El ejercicio demostró que los aviones a reacción eran adecuados para operaciones de largo alcance. Los Vampire realizaron después una gira por Estados Unidos y Canadá. Un piloto de F-80 de la Fuerza Aérea de los EE.UU. (USAF) probó un Vampire y quedó impresionado. En ese momento, el F.3 estaba en servicio en Europa y en otros lugares.

Aunque el Vampire estaba destinado al papel de interceptor / combate aéreo, la RAF decidió emplear el Gloster Meteor para esa función. Eso dejó la cuestión de qué hacer con el Vampire y lo lógico era adaptarlo al rol de ataque terrestre, reemplazando al Hawker Tempest.

El esfuerzo por construir un Vampire de ataque a tierra pasó por una serie de altibajos, pero el primer prototipo del Vampire Fighter-Bomber Mark 5 (FB.5), modificado de un Vampire F.3, realizó su vuelo inicial el 23 junio ​​de 1948. El FB.5 retuvo el motor Goblin 2 del F.3, pero contaba con protección blindada alrededor de los sistemas del motor, alas recortadas en 30 cm. y patas del tren más largas para proporcionar espacio a la carga subalar y afrontar más peso al despegue. Aunque se consideró un asiento eyectable, no se instaló.

Las entregas del FB.5 a la RAF comenzaron a fines de 1948. El modelo dejaba un poco que desear, ya que sufrió varios problemas desde el principio. Se resolvieron, pero el uso efectivo de la principal arma ofensiva, el RP, siempre fue una especie de arte, y la falta de un asiento eyectable fue, como era de esperar, una fuente de consternación para los pilotos. Sin embargo, el FB.5 fue el Vampire monoplaza definitivo, con 1.123 construidos entre 1948 y 1951, incluidos 10 para Sudáfrica y 24 para Venezuela. La mayor parte de la producción de FB.5 fue realizada por English Electric.

En su apogeo, 19 escuadrillas de la RAF volaron el FB.5 en Europa, Oriente Medio y Lejano Oriente. El FB.5 fue empleado durante la exitosa campaña británica para reprimir la insurgencia en Malasia a fines de la década de 1940 y principios de la de 1950. La RAF relegó al Vampire a roles de entrenamiento avanzado a mediados de la década de 1950, y estaba fuera del servicio de la RAF a finales de la década.

Después de la compra de cuatro F.1 para su evaluación, los suizos compraron el FB.5 con un motor Goblin 3 mejorado, que proporcionaba 14,9 kN (1.520 kgp.) de empuje. De esta variante, designada Vampire FB.6., Suiza adquirió 75 de la producción británica y con licencia construyó 100 más en Emmen. 55 de estas máquinas fueron equipadas con un morro extendido para aviónica adicional en la década de 1970.

Los suecos compraron 310 máquinas del tipo FB.6 con la designación de empresa Vampire FB.50 y la designación local de J 28B. Después de recibir varios F.1 y FB.5 de la RAF, el AA francés obtuvo varios FB.5 construidos con licencia, conocidos como FB.51, por Sud-Est. Sud-Est construyó 67 FB.51 utilizando componentes suministrados por Gran Bretaña, y el primer vuelo tuvo lugar el 27 de enero de 1950. Les siguieron 120 ejemplares construidos completamente en Francia, con motores Goblin fabricados por Hispano, y cuyo primer vuelo se realizó el 21 de diciembre de 1950.

Otra variación del FB.6, el Vampire FB.52, se exportó a varios países. Se fabricaron 193 entre 1949 y 1953 para diez países diferentes, más 247 construidos con licencia en la India. Los italianos obtuvieron un FB.52A ligeramente modificado, 51 exportados desde el Reino Unido y 195 construidos por Fiat y Macchi en Italia.

El FB.5 iba a ser seguido por una variante Vampire FB.8 considerablemente revisada con un nuevo turborreactor Ghost y una nueva ala delgada, para lo cual dos FB.5 fueron convertidos a esta configuración como prototipos en 1949. El esquema resultó exitoso, pero los cambios fueron tan drásticos que se tomó la decisión de darle al avión el nuevo nombre de Venom, por lo que el siguiente Vampire monoplaza fue el Vampire FB.9.

El FB.9 era básicamente un FB.5 «tropicalizado». La cabina del FB.5 demostró ser muy calurosa en climas tropicales, por lo que el FB.9 estaba equipado con una unidad de aire acondicionado Godfrey en la raíz del ala derecha. El FB.9 se parecía mucho a un FB.5, el mayor regalo era una entrada de motor derecha modificada para alimentar la unidad de aire acondicionado, con una placa de capa límite extendida frente a la entrada.

Los Vampires FB.9 reemplazaron a los FB.5 en Oriente Medio y Asia a partir de 1952, y se utilizaron para luchar contra los insurgentes nacionalistas del Mau-Mau en Kenia. El FB.9 fue el último Vampire monoplaza construido, con un total de 348 fabricados entre 1951 y 1953. 332 de estas máquinas fueron a la RAF, y las otras 16 a Rhodesia. Los aviones de Rhodesia se diferenciaban por estar equipados con el motor Goblin 3 en lugar del Goblin 2, lo que permitía un mejor rendimiento en condiciones de temperaturas cálidas y elevada altitud.

El Fleet Air Arm (FAA) de la Royal Navy británica se mostró interesado en el Vampire desde el principio. El segundo prototipo, equipado con flaps y aerofrenos más grandes, fue volado a partir de mayo de 1945 para una evaluación preliminar de su idoneidad en portaaviones; Al ir bien las pruebas, el prototipo se modificó con un gancho de apontaje en forma de yugo, que se retraía a través del flujo hacia un carenado sobre el escape, así como una cubierta en forma de lágrima y un motor Goblin 2, en preparación para las operaciones reales sobre portaaviones. El 3 de diciembre de 1945, el Sea Vampire realizó los primeros apontajes y despegues, a cargo del teniente comandante Eric Brown que los realizó en el HMS Ocean frente a la Isla de Wight.

Aunque las pruebas salieron bien, el FAA finalmente decidió que el Sea Vampire no era lo que requería el servicio para un caza de primera línea, pero sí parecía una máquina de evaluación y entrenamiento rentable para poner a la Royal Navy al día en las operaciones de portaaviones, y así, a principios de 1947, se encargó un lote de Sea Vampire F.20 para ese propósito.

El F.20 presentaba los flaps más grandes, los frenos de aire más grandes y el gancho de detención del demostrador Sea Vampire; también agregó un tren de aterrizaje reforzado de carrera larga, además de alas recortadas como el FB.5. Aunque se pidieron 30 F.20, solo se obtuvieron 18, todos como modificaciones de Vampire F.3 o F.5. Las entregas de servicio iniciales fueron en octubre de 1948. Los pilotos encontraron que el F.20 era muy agradable en la aproximación al portaaviones, particularmente por la vista desde la cabina adelantada, pero desagradablemente lento en los despegues cuando no se usaba la catapulta. Los Sea Vampire F.20 finalmente fueron retirados del servicio en 1956 y 1957, para ser desguazados en 1960.

De Havilland también desarrolló una versión biplaza del Vampire utilizando fondos de la empresa, denominada DH.113. El DH.113 tenía las alas y la cola del Vampire FB.5 monoplaza con un nuevo fuselaje, estirado en 1,17 m. para acomodar el radar AI.X (US SCR-720B) y con una cabina con asientos uno al lado del otro, el piloto en el asiento izquierdo y el operador del navegador / radar en el derecho. Los dos asientos estaban escalonados, con el asiento del piloto delante del asiento del operador del navegador. La tripulación iba sentada bajo una sola cubierta con bisagras en la parte trasera. No se instalaron asientos eyectables, pero la cubierta podría desecharse en caso de emergencia.

Dado que el peso del DH.113 era 122 kg. mayor que el de un Vampire monoplaza, se instaló el motor Goblin 3 mejorado. El DH.113 conservó los cañones Hispano Mark V de 20 mm. de los monoplazas, y podía llevar un tanque de combustible debajo de cada ala. También podía llevar una bomba debajo de cada ala como carga externa alternativa.

Se construyeron tres prototipos, el primero realizó su vuelo inicial el 28 de agosto de 1949 con el piloto de pruebas Geoffrey Pike a los mandos. Se le denominó apropiadamente «Pike’s Pig» y voló en el salón aeronáutico de Farnborough nueve días después. Los vuelos de prueba mostraron que el DH.113 era en realidad un poco más rápido que un FB.5, debido al motor Goblin 3 y la aerodinámica mejorada, pero era más lento que el caza nocturno Meteor y tenía una velocidad de ascenso sustancialmente más pobre.

Un mes después de que de Havilland mostrara el DH.113 en Farnborough, Egipto pidió 12 ejemplares, pero la tensión en Medio Oriente era muy alta y el gobierno británico embargó los envíos de armas a la región. Los egipcios nunca vieron estas máquinas. La RAF se hizo cargo del pedido, designando el modelo Vampire Night Fighter Mark 10 (NF.10), usándolo como solución provisional hasta que los cazas nocturnos Meteor y Venom estuvieran disponibles. Las entregas iniciales del NF.10 se realizaron en la primavera de 1950. Solo se construyeron 78 NF.10, y permanecieron en servicio de primera línea hasta 1954.

Después de su retiro como caza nocturno, 36 NF.10 se convirtieron en entrenadores de navegación y se designaron Vampire NF (T) .10. Se eliminó el radar AI.X, sustituyéndolo por lastre en forma de bloques de hormigón, y se actualizó el equipo de navegación. El NF (T) .10 permaneció en servicio hasta 1959.

De Havilland también construyó una variante de exportación del NF.10, denominada Vampire NF.54. Se construyeron un total de 14 para Italia y se entregaron en 1952-1953. También se reacondicionaron 30 NF.10 retirados a la configuración NF.54 para India, con entregas de 1954 a 1958.

Habiendo demostrado su popularidad, en la primavera de 1950 de Havilland decidió desarrollar una variante de entrenador de dos asientos en tándem, el DH.115. El vuelo inicial del prototipo fue el 15 de noviembre de 1950, con John Wilson a los mandos. La RAF estaba intrigada por el DH.115, al verlo como un complemento útil para el entrenador Meteor T.7, y realizó una extensa evaluación del prototipo desde la primavera de 1951 hasta principios de 1952. Siguieron órdenes de producción para el Vampire T.11, como lo designó la RAF, que entró en servicio en el otoño de 1952. La RAF adquirió un total de 526.

El T.11 se basaba en el NF.10 y se parecía mucho a él, aunque la cabina había sido rediseñada para tener más espacio y los asientos no estaban escalonados. El NF.10 tenía un morro extraíble para dar acceso al radar. El T.11 tenía un «capó» con bisagras de apertura hacia arriba para el mantenimiento de los sistemas alojados en el morro. Estaba propulsado por el motor Goblin 33, que era esencialmente un Goblin 3 modificado para proporcionar purga de aire del compresor para la presurización de la cabina. El T.11 era, en principio, apto para el combate, conservando el armamento de cuatro cañones, aunque por lo general solo se instalaban dos, así como la capacidad para transportar provisiones externas.

Las tripulaciones encontraron satisfactorio el rendimiento y el manejo del T.11, pero la cubierta similar a la del NF.10 proporcionaba un campo de visión deficiente, la cabina estaba abarrotada y no poseía asientos eyectables. El 144º T.11 introdujo una cubierta con un campo de visión mucho mejor, además de una nueva aleta trasera que presentaba una extensión dorsal larga y dos asientos eyectables Martin-Baker Mark 3B. La producción anterior se ajustó al mismo estándar. El T.11 voló con el Mando de Entrenamiento de la RAF hasta 1962, cuando fue reemplazado por el Folland Gnat T.1. Algunos T.11 permanecieron en el servicio de la RAF en funciones diversas hasta 1967.

La Royal Navy también adquirió 73 T.11 con modificaciones menores con la designación Sea Vampire T.22, con entregas de 1952 a 1955. A pesar del nombre, no eran aptos para portaaviones. Al igual que con los T.11, la producción inicial, tenía la cubierta original y carecía de asientos eyectables. La cubierta renovada y los asientos de expulsión se agregaron en una producción posterior y se adaptaron a los aparatos anteriores. Los Sea Vampire T.22 sirvieron hasta principios de la década de 1960, algunos fueron desguazados posteriormente, otros se vendieron en el exterior y otra parte siguió prestando servicio en funciones de “aviones enemigos” hasta aproximadamente 1970.

También se produjo una versión de exportación, el T.55, con un total de 232 construidos en el Reino Unido para clientes extranjeros. Los suizos construyeron 30 T.55 bajo licencia, mientras que India construyó 60. Algunos de los T.55 indios se convirtieron a una configuración de reconocimiento fotográfico y se designaron PR.55. CAC construyó una serie de sus propias variantes de entrenador en Australia.

Se construyó un total de más de 4.580 Vampires de todo tipo, y el último de ellos dejó el servicio militar (suizo) en 1990. El modelo aún sobrevive en manos privadas como una atracción en exhibiciones aéreas. Si bien el Vampire vio poca acción de combate real, fue una herramienta valiosa para brindar a la RAF y otros servicios un puente entre los aviones de pistón y reactores.

La Real Fuerza Aérea Canadiense (RCAF) estuvo interesada en el Vampire desde el principio, y realizó una evaluación de un F.1 prestado de 1946 a 1949. Hubo preocupaciones particulares, ya que el Vampire podría no tener un buen desempeño en las condiciones del Ártico, pero la evaluación no reveló problemas a ese respecto, por lo que el gobierno canadiense ordenó 150 F.3.

En realidad, sólo se consiguieron 85, que se entregaron entre 1947 y 1948. A la RCAF le gustó mucho el Vampire, y un equipo de demostración, los Blue Devils, lo usó hasta 1952, cuando fue reemplazado por el Canadair Sabre. Los F.3 de la RCAF, por regla general, solo volaban en Canadá, aunque al menos una escuadrilla de Vampires se trasladó al Reino Unido durante un tiempo, pero usó el FB.5 de la RAF en préstamo. Los Vampires de la RCAF finalmente se eliminaron gradualmente en 1958, algunos terminaron en manos civiles y 15 finalmente fueron adquiridos por México.

A la Real Fuerza Aérea Australiana le gustó la idea del Vampire con motor Nene y realizó un pedido de 80 en 1946, que fueron construidos por CAC en Australia. Se enviaron a Australia un F.1, uno de los prototipos F.2 y un Vampire F.5 para familiarizar a la RAAF con el modelo. El lote de producción incluyó 57 F.30 y 23 FB.31. Los planes para la producción australiana del FB.32 mejorado no dieron resultado.

CAC también construyó 36 entrenadores T.33, generalmente de la misma configuración que los T.11 de producción temprana, para la RAAF, más 5 T.34 similares para la Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Estas máquinas se actualizaron más tarde a la última especificación T.11 y se rediseñaron como T.33A y T.34A, y la RAN obtuvo un T.34A de nueva construcción como reemplazo por desgaste. La RAAF también adquirió 68 entrenadores T.35, construidos según la última especificación T.11.

Nueva Zelanda adquirió 18 FB.52 entre 1950 y 1951, seguidos de seis T.55 estándar tempranos en 1952, con ocho FB.5 de la RAF reacondicionados entregados como reemplazos por desgaste ese mismo año. Una segunda ola de compras siguió unos años más tarde, con cinco T.11 de especificaciones tardías y 21 FB.5 de la RAF reacondicionados y entregados en 1955-1956.

Los Vampires de Nueva Zelanda generalmente volaron solo en el país, aunque algunos escuadrones de Vampires de la Real Fuerza Aérea de Nueva Zelanda volaron al extranjero, utilizando aviones de la RAF. Los Vampires neozelandeses sirvieron hasta principios de la década de 1970, cuando fueron reemplazados por McDonnell Douglas Skyhawk y BAC Strikemaster.

Suecia fue uno de los primeros en adoptar el Vampire, comprando 70 Vampire F.1s / J 28A en 1946, seguido de 310 Vampire FB.6s / J 28Bs de 1949 a 1952. Los J 28A, con su suministro limitado de combustible, estaban destinados principalmente a familiarizarse con las operaciones a reacción hasta que la Flygvapnet (Fuerza Aérea Sueca) pudo obtener máquinas más satisfactorias de diseño sueco. Los J 28 volaban en elegantes colores de camuflaje.

La Flygvapnet obtuvo 20 entrenadores T.55 de especificaciones tempranas bajo la designación de Sk 28C-1 en 1953, seguidos de 15 entrenadores T.55 de especificaciones tardías como Sk 28C-2 en 1955. En 1956, 12 FB.6 / J Los 28B se convirtieron en el Reino Unido a la configuración de entrenador de última generación, siendo denominados Sk 28C-3 por la Flygvapnet. Los Vampire entrenadores quedaron fuera de servicio en 1968.

Suiza fue otro de los primeros usuarios del Vampire y lo mantendría en servicio durante décadas. Se compraron tres Vampire F.1 en 1946 para su evaluación, y un cuarto se obtuvo ese mismo año, cuando uno de los tres iniciales se perdió en un accidente. La evaluación fue bien, se realizó un pedido de 75 FB.6 en 1947, que fueron entregados desde el Reino Unido en 1949-1950 para sustituir a los Messerschmitt Bf 109 de la Flugwaffe (Fuerza Aérea Suiza). En 1949, se llegó a un acuerdo para la construcción con licencia de 100 FB.6 más en Suiza, con motores Goblin 3 proporcionados por de Havilland, fuselajes proporcionados por Pilatus Stans y el resto del fuselaje proporcionado por Altenrhein con montaje en Emmen. Estas máquinas se entregaron en 1951-1952. Se ensamblaron tres Vampire FB.6 más a partir de existencias de repuestos en 1960.

Francia fue otro usuario entusiasta del Vampire desde el principio. El Armée de l’Air adquirió 30 Vampire F.1 de la RAF en 1948 para familiarizarse, seguidos de 94 FB.5, también de la RAF, en 1949 para uso de unidades de primera línea. Esto llevó a la producción con licencia del FB.51 a cargo de Sud-Est, con 67 construidos a partir de componentes desmontados suministrados por DH y 120 más construidos en su totalidad en Francia. Fueron seguidos por los Mistral propulsados ​​por Nene, incluidos los cuatro prototipos SE.530, los 93 SE.532 y los 150 SE.535. El primer escuadrón dotado con el Mistral se formó en 1953. Los franceses nunca tuvieron Vampires biplaza.

Los Vampires del AA fueron empleados contra los insurgentes tunecinos en 1951. Igualmente, tanto los Vampire como los Mistral, realizaron cometidos similares contra los insurgentes argelinos de 1955 a 1961. El Aéronavale, el brazo aéreo naval francés, obtuvo algunos Vampires para entrenar, usándolos de 1954 a 1961.

La Aeronautica Militare Italiana (AMI) consiguió un lote inicial de cinco FB.5s en 1950, seguidos de 51 FB.52A en ese año y 1951, y luego la entrega de 150 FB.52 fabricados en el país por Macchi y Fiat durante los siguientes años. El vuelo inicial de un FB.52A construido en Italia fue el 18 de diciembre de 1951.

Egipto fue la primera nación del Medio Oriente en obtener el Vampire. El país ordenó 12 cazas nocturnos DH.113, pero estas máquinas fueron embargadas y terminaron como Vampire NF.10 en la RAF. Sin embargo, Egipto obtuvo un FB.5 en 1949 y 50 FB.52 en los siguientes años. El embargo se levantó en 1953 y Egipto adquirió 58 FB.52A italianos reacondicionados, algunos de ellos tal vez desviados a Siria posteriormente. La última compra de Vampires egipcios fue de 12 entrenadores T.55 en 1955. En ese año, las crecientes tensiones con Israel provocaron incidentes aéreos entre Vampires egipcios y Meteor israelíes. Estos últimos reclamaron algunos derribos.

Los israelíes reclamaron otro derribo de un Vampire en la primavera de 1956, pero eso fue solo un calentamiento para una crisis más seria. Después de que el presidente egipcio Gamal Abdel Nasser nacionalizara el Canal de Suez ese año, los británicos, franceses e israelíes lo tomaron por la fuerza en octubre y noviembre durante la denominada Operation Musketeer. Las fuerzas egipcias sufrieron una aplastante derrota en la invasión, perdiendo algunos Vampires en combate aéreo y muchos más en tierra.

La Fuerza Aérea Iraquí compró seis Vampire FB.52 y un solo Vampire T.55 en 1953, cuando el país era de hecho un protectorado británico, para formar la primera unidad de caza a reacción del país. Fueron seguidos por seis FB.52 más nueve T.55 adquiridos hasta 1955, el mismo año en que los británicos se retiraron del país. Los Vampires iraquíes se utilizaron contra los rebeldes kurdos en el norte de Irak en 1961. Parece que muchas de estos aviones ya no estaban en condiciones de volar en ese momento, y que se dieron de baja en los siguientes años.

Jordania obtuvo 10 FB.9 de la RAF en 1955 y 1956, más otros dos T.11 suministrados en 1955 y un tercero aprobado en 1960. Como se ha mencionado, Egipto entregó siete FB.52 a Jordania en 1956. Dos de los FB.52 fueron destruidos durante la Guerra de los Seis Días de 1967, y los seis monoplazas restantes aún en servicio se retiraron poco después del conflicto. Los entrenadores permanecieron en servicio hasta 1972.

La Fuerza Aérea de la India (IAF) fue el usuario asiático del Vampire más entusiasta. Se entregaron tres Vampire F.3 desde el Reino Unido en 1948, más 39 FB.52 construidos en el Reino Unido entre 1949 y 1951. En el momento de la última entrega del FB.52 desde Gran Bretaña, Hindustan Aircraft Limited (HAL) estaba trabajando en la producción local del modelo, cuyo primer FB.52 realizó su vuelo inicial el 21 de febrero de 1952. Otros 247 fueron terminados en los años siguientes.

Dos FB.52 de la IAF y dos T.55 se entregaron a la Armada de la India para apoyar el entrenamiento de sus cazas navales Hawker Sea Hawk. Los Vampires de la IAF entraron en combate durante la ocupación de Goa a finales de 1961, así como durante la Guerra Indo-Pakistán de 1965. Parece que los Vampires sufrieron mucho durante el conflicto de 1965, no siendo rival para los F.86 paquistaníes. Los Vampires de la IAF fueron relegados al entrenamiento después del conflicto, aunque tuvieron un empleo limitado en la Guerra Indo-Pakistán de 1971. Fueron eliminados formalmente en 1975.

Sudáfrica obtuvo 10 Vampire FB.5 en 1950, seguidos de 10 FB.52 en 1952 y seis T.55 de especificaciones iniciales en 1952. El avión resultó satisfactorio, se obtuvo un lote de 30 FB.9 en 1953, seguido de 21 T.55 con especificaciones tardías en 1954 y 1955. Los monoplazas permanecieron en servicio hasta 1967.

Rhodesia (ahora Zimbabwe) obtuvo 16 Vampire FB.9 (con el motor Goblin 3) en 1953-1954, seguidos de 16 T.11 en 1955. Los Vampires de Rhodesia volaron bajo el control de la RAF durante la insurgencia en Adén en 1958. Desde mediados de la década de los 60, los Vampires rodesianos camuflados en la jungla lanzaron ataques contra la insurgencia en su propio país. Los Vampires de Rhodesia parecen haber permanecido en servicio hasta la década de 1980, siendo algunos vendidos a coleccionistas privados y museos después.

Chile compró cinco entrenadores T.55 en 1953, obteniendo un reemplazo por desgaste (en forma de un demostrador de Havilland T.55) en 1956. En 1963, los T.55 fueron reacondicionados para el papel de ataque terrestre a inicios de la década de 1970. A los chilenos pareció gustarles mucho el Vampire, y en 1972 consiguieron 10 biplazas más, incluidos cuatro T.11 de la RAF y seis T.22 de la Royal Navy como entrenadores de ataque a tierra. Sirvieron hasta 1980.

Venezuela obtuvo 24 Vampire FB.5 en 1949-1952. También se obtuvo un T.55 para su evaluación en 1952, lo que dio lugar a un pedido de cinco T.55 más, entregados en 1958. Los Vampires venezolanos vieron algo de acción en un motín del ejército en 1958. Todos los Vampires de Venezuela estaban fuera de servicio a inicios de la década de 1970.

En 1960, la Fuerza Aérea Mejicana (FAM) obtuvo 15 Vampire F.3 de Canadá para entrar en la era del jet. Los Vampire eran conocidos como Aguacates, por la apariencia del fuselaje y porque estaban pintados de color verde oliva. En 1962 se adquirieron dos T.11 de la RAF para complementar a los F.3. Todos los aviones supervivientes fueron retirados del servicio en 1970.



During the 1930s, a British Royal Air Force (RAF) officer named Frank Whittle performed research on turbojet propulsion, leading to the first flight of a British jet aircraft, the Gloster G.40 or Gloster Whittle, on 15 May 1940. The G.40’s powerplant was built by Whittle’s company Power Jets and was of centrifugal flow configuration, meaning that its compressor was based on an impeller like that of a pump, not a series of fans as used in more modern axial flow turbojets. Centrifugal flow engines would eventually prove to be a dead end as far as high-speed jet aircraft were concerned, though turboprop and turboshaft engines still often use the configuration. However, at the outset of the jet age, the centrifugal flow turbojet was perfectly effective, and much easier to get into service than the axial flow engine.

Due to the pressures of war, further development of Whittle’s engine concepts went slowly for a few years, but by early 1943 work was getting on track, with both the Rolls-Royce and de Havilland companies working on improved, more powerful centrifugal flow engines based on Whittle’s concepts. Gloster was working on a twin-engine jet fighter using such engines, named the Meteor, which performed its first flight on 5 March 1943.

The British Air Ministry was also interested in a simple, lightweight, single-engine jet fighter with an armament of four 20mm. cannon, as defined in Specification E.6/41. A design team at de Havilland, under company chairman Sir Geoffrey de Havilland and featuring Chief Designer R.E. Bishop, came up with the twin-boom DH.100 design concept based on the Halford H.1 centrifugal flow engine, a Whittle derivative then being developed by Frank Halford of de Havilland. Air Ministry officials liked the idea and placed an order for two prototypes in April 1942, soon increasing the number to three.

Work went slowly for a time, since both de Havilland and the Air Ministry were more focused on other projects, but in November 1942 priority of work on the DH.100 was raised. The project was assigned the codename Spider Crab. Initial flight of the first prototype was on 20 September 1943, with Geoffrey de Havilland JR, company chief test pilot and son of the founder, at the controls. This machine was powered by a Halford H.1 turbojet with 12.0 kN (1,225 kgp. / 2,700 lbf.) thrust and was unarmed. The flight was satisfactory, though there were issues, such as oversensitive ailerons and some yaw instability.

First flight of the second prototype, with a configuration generally similar to the first, was on 17 March 1944. The third prototype featured armament and a Halford H.1A engine, with the same thrust as the H.1 but more robust in design. The third aircraft actually performed its initial flight earlier than the second, on 21 January 1944. The test and evaluation program went smoothly, though the yaw instability problem proved a bit tricky to work out.

A production contract was placed for 120 examples of the Vampire Fighter Mark I or Vampire F.1 in May 1944, the name Vampire having been selected the previous month. Apparently, it was originally designated F.I, the RAF still using Roman numerals at the time, with the F.1 more or less assigned in hindsight; the F.1 designation will be used here for convenience. Initial flight of a production F.1 was on 20 April 1945. The first prototype was lost on 23 July 1945, when it pancaked in after take-off after a fuel pump failure, with the pilot, Geoffrey Pike, walking away unharmed. After varied careers in trials, the other two prototypes ended up in museums in the UK.

The Vampire was a neat, distinctive aircraft, featuring a central fuselage pod, a twin-boom tail attached to mid-mounted wings, with short-legged hydraulically-operated tricycle landing gear. All the gear assemblies had single wheels, with the nose wheel retracting backwards and the main gear hinged in the wings to retract outward. The air intakes were in the wing roots, with fuselage plates forward of the intakes to prevent ingestion of stagnant «boundary layer» airflow; the engine was in the rear of the fuselage and exhausted between the tail booms. The twin boom configuration minimized the length of the intake ducting and the exhaust pipe, reducing friction losses.

The wings were tapered, with an aileron outboard and a flap split by the tailboom inboard on each wing; there was an airbrake just outboard of the flap, in the form of a panel that popped up into the airflow. All flight controls were unpowered, actuated through cable connections. The tailfins were trapezoidal in form, with a straight tailplane between them; the tailplane did not extend outside of the tailfins in the F.1. There was a bumper under the rear of each boom.

Most of the fuselage was made of a sandwich of balsa planks between spruce plywood sheets, with the fuselage built in halves over molds using glues; the halves were then kitted up, fitted together, and covered with heavy cloth for painting. De Havilland had developed this technology, having put it to good use with the company’s Mosquito and Hornet aircraft. The rest of the Vampire was made of metal, mostly aircraft aluminum alloy.

The pilot sat well forward, with an excellent forward field of view. Although the prototypes and early production F.1s featured a three-piece canopy, the 87th F.1 introduced a single-piece «teardrop» unit, which was much sturdier and provided a better all-round view. Most early production was refitted with the teardrop canopy. The windscreen was armor glass, with a glycol de-icer system, and the canopy slid backward to open. There was no ejection seat, and in fact the RAF would never fly a single-seat Vampire with such a nicety.

Armor plate was fitted to the back of the seat and an armor panel was fitted in front of the dashboard. Avionics were simple, as they generally were at the time, consisting of an identification friend or foe (IFF) unit and a four-channel radio. It doesn’t appear any radio navigation systems were fitted, but it is possible the radio had a radio compass capability. Cockpit pressurization was introduced in the 51st F.1, but it was not retrofitted to earlier aircraft.

Internal fuel capacity was 918 liters (242 US gallons), divided between a single fuselage tank with a capacity of 436 liters (115 US gallons) and a tank in each inner wing, providing a capacity of 241 liters (64 US gallons) each. All three tanks were made of metal and presumably were self-sealing. An external tank with a capacity of 227 liters (60 US gallons) or 455 liters (121 US gallons) could be carried under each wing. The aircraft was armed with four Hispano Mark V 20-mm. cannon in the bottom of the nose, with a maximum of 150 rounds per gun. They were aimed by a reflector-type gunsight. There was a gun camera in the nose.

The F.1 was initially powered by the de Havilland Goblin 1 turbojet, which was the production model of the Halford H.IA and featured the same thrust, 12.0 kN (1,225 kgp. / 2,700 lbf.). The 41st F.1 introduced the Goblin 2, with 16.7 kN (1,705 kgp. / 3,100 lbf.) thrust. Incidentally, Goblin was also the name of a popular brand of vacuum cleaner, a coincidence that was not lost on jokers in the ranks of the RAF. Access to the engine was through removeable cowlings top and bottom, plus four service doors.

The F.1 went into RAF service with 247 Squadron in March 1946, flying in the interceptor role. It then entered service with the 2nd Tactical Air Force in Germany, replacing Typhoons, Tempests, and Mustangs in the close-support role, and with the British Auxiliary Air Force. Production of the F.1 was farmed out to the English Electric company, which built 228, including four for evaluation by Switzerland and 70 (as J 28As) for Sweden. Some of the F.1s would end up being used for trials of other variants.

The Vampire was known by RAF pilots as the «flying kiddie car», possibly because of its slightly toylike looks. It appears that Vampire pilots themselves were very enthusiastic about their mount; it had no excess of power, giving it a sluggish climb rate and unspectacular performance at altitude, but it displayed a pleasing combination of agility and docile handling, being regarded as fun to fly. Apparently, its worst problems were limited range, and the fact that it didn’t give much stall warning.

Although the vast majority of Vampires were powered by de Havilland Goblin engines, there was a branch of the family that was powered by the Rolls Royce Nene centrifugal-flow turbojet, another descendant of Whittle’s designs along a different path. The Nene was more powerful if heavier than the Goblin. Three of the Vampire F.1s were converted to Vampire F.2 (originally F.II) configuration by being fitted with a Nene RB.41 turbojet, providing 20.0 kN (2,040 kgp. / 4,500 lbf.) thrust. The Nene engine required additional airflow, which was provided by a pair of airscoops above the engine, known as «elephant ears«.

The RAF placed an order for 60 F.2s, but as it turned out only two of that order were completed. Plans to obtain a Vampire F.4 ground-attack variant with the Nene engine fell through, and no such variant was ever built. However, the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) found the variant interesting and arranged for local license production of 80 Vampires with the Nene engine by Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC).

The first Australian-built Vampire performed its initial flight on 29 June 1949, with John «BlackJack» Walker at the controls. The first 57 of the batch were designated F.30; early production had the elephant ear intakes on top, as seen on the F.2 prototypes, but this configuration led to high-speed handling problems; the auxiliary intakes were relocated to the belly, with early production modified accordingly.

The last 23 of the batch, built in 1952 and 1953, featured clipped and stronger wings; they were given the designation of Fighter Bomber Mark 31 (FB.31). The last 28 F.30s built were converted to FB.31 specification in 1956. Work was performed on an FB.32 with bigger main engine intakes and an ejection seat. Two F.30s were used for trials, but the FB.32 program was canceled.

Following deliveries of ex-RAF Vampires and license-construction of what amounted to the FB.5 variant, the French Armée de l’Air (AA) also obtained a Nene-powered Vampire, license-built to their specifications by the Societé Nationale de Constructions Aeronautiques de Sud-Est in France.

The major change was use of the Hispano-built Nene 102 centrifugal-flow turbojet with 22.3 kN (2,270 kgp. / 5,000 lbf.) thrust; the elephant-ear auxiliary intakes never having worked all that well, larger main inlets were provided to ensure adequate airflow. Other changes included increased fuel capacity and cabin pressurization. Four prototypes were built, designated Mark 53 by de Havilland and SE.530 Mistral by Sud-Est, the first flying on 1 April 1951 with Jacques Lecarme at the controls.

The type went into production with a Nene 102B engine as the SE.532 Mistral that December, with 93 of that variant being built. It looked very much like an FB.5, except for noticeably wider engine intakes and no fuselage boundary-layer plates in front of the intakes.

The SE 532s were followed by 150 SE.535s, featuring the Nene 104, with the same thrust as the Nene 102 but various improvements, and ejection seats; the ejection seats were apparently also retrofitted to the SE.532s. The last Mistral was delivered in March 1954. The type went into AA service in 1952, with the last withdrawn in 1961.

The major problem with all the early jets was poor range, and the Vampire F.1 was no exception. With internal fuel, typical endurance was only 45 minutes. Adding two wing tanks would stretch endurance to two hours. In June 1945, an F.1 was fitted with a new wing that added outer wing tanks, with three tanks in each outer wing along with the original tank in the inner wing, raising the total internal fuel capacity by 582 liters (155 US gallons) to a sum of 1,500 liters (399 US gallons). The fuel system featured single-point refueling.

Along with the increased internal fuel, new external tanks were developed, with capacities of 455 liters (121 US gallons) or 909 liters (242 US gallons) each. The larger tanks increased yaw instability, so the tail assembly was modified, featuring larger curved tailfins instead of the original trapezoid tailfins; the tailplane set lower, to simplify manufacturing; and prominent fairings at the junctions of the tailplane and tailfins to ensure smooth airflow.

The first Vampire F.3 flew on 4 November 1946. It featured the Goblin 2 engine; more power being needed since maximum take-off weight had increased by 50%. Range and endurance were as much as doubled. Deliveries of production aircraft began in the spring of 1947, with a total of 224 built from 1947 to 1949. The bulk of them, 118, went to the RAF. The Royal Navy also obtained six; Canada obtained 86, Norway 10, India 3, and Sweden 1.

On hearing that the Americans were planning a jet crossing of the Atlantic, the British decided to trump them. In July 1948, six RAF Vampire F.3s under Squadron Leader R.W. Oxspring became the first jet aircraft to cross the Atlantic, performing hops through Iceland, Greenland, Labrador, and Newfoundland to end up in the US. The exercise demonstrated that jet aircraft were suitable for long-range operations. The Vampires then toured the US and Canada. One US Air Force (USAF) F-80 pilot took a flight in a Vampire and was suitably impressed. By that time, the F.3 was in squadron service in Europe and elsewhere.

Although the Vampire had originally been ordered for the air combat / interceptor role, the RAF decided to standardize on the Gloster Meteor for that function. That left the issue of what to do with the Vampire; the logical thing was to adapt it to the ground attack role, replacing the Hawker Tempest.

The effort to build a ground-attack Vampire went through a set of ups and downs, but the first prototype of the Vampire Fighter-Bomber Mark 5 (FB.5), modified from a Vampire F.3, performed its initial flight on 23 June 1948. The FB.5 retained the Goblin 2 engine of the F.3, but featured armor protection around engine systems, wings clipped back by 30 cm. (1 foot), and longer stroke main gear to provide clearance for stores and handle greater take-off weights. Although an ejection seat was considered, it was not fitted.

Service deliveries of the FB.5 to the RAF began in late 1948. The type left a bit to be desired, suffering from various teething problems early on. They were resolved, but effective use of the main offensive weapon, the RP, was always something of an art, and the lack of an ejection seat was unsurprisingly a source of dismay for pilots. However, the FB.5 was the definitive single-seat Vampire, with 1,123 built from 1948 to 1951, including 10 for South Africa and 24 for Venezuela. Most FB.5 production was performed by English Electric.

At its peak, 19 RAF squadrons flew the FB.5 in Europe, the Middle East, and the Far East. The FB.5 performed strikes during the successful British campaign to suppress the insurgency in Malaya in the late 1940s and early 1950s. The RAF relegated the Vampire to advanced training roles in the mid-1950s, and the type was generally out of RAF service by the end of the decade.

After the purchase of the four F.1s for evaluation, the Swiss purchased the FB.5 with an uprated Goblin 3 engine, providing 14.9 kN (1,520 kgp. / 3,350 lbf.) thrust, with this variant designated Vampire FB.6. Switzerland obtained 75 from British production, and license-built 100 more at Emmen. 55 of these machines were fitted with an extended nose for additional avionics in the 1970s.

The Swedes bought 310 FB.6-type machines with the company designation of Vampire FB.50 and the local designation of J 28B. After receiving a number of ex-RAF F.1s and FB.5s, the French AA obtained a set of license-built FB.5s, known as FB.51s, from Sud-Est. Sud-Est built 67 FB.51s using British-supplied components, with the first flying on 27 January 1950. They were followed by 120 machines built completely in France, powered by Hispano-built Goblin engines, the first of the set flying on 21 December 1950.

Another variation on the FB.6, the Vampire FB.52, was exported to a number of countries, with 193 built from 1949 to 1953 for ten different nations, and 247 license-built in India. The Italians obtained a slightly modified FB.52A, with 51 exported from the UK and 195 built by Fiat and Macchi in Italy.

The FB.5 was to be followed by a considerably revised Vampire FB.8 variant with a new Ghost turbojet and new thin wing, with two FB.5s converted to this configuration as prototypes in 1949. The scheme proved successful, but the changes were so drastic that the decision was made to give the aircraft the new name of Venom, and so the next single-seat Vampire was the Vampire FB.9.

The FB.9 was basically a «tropicalized» FB.5. The FB.5’s cockpit proved to be an unbearable hot box in tropical climates, and so the FB.9 was fitted with a Godfrey air-conditioning unit in the right-wing root. The FB.9 looked much like an FB.5, the biggest giveaway being a modified right engine inlet to feed the air-conditioning unit, with an extended boundary-layer plate in front of the inlet.

Vampire FB.9s replaced FB.5s in the Middle East and Asia beginning in 1952, and they were used to fight nationalist Mau-Mau insurgents in Kenya. The FB.9 was the last single-seat Vampire built, with a total of 348 manufactured from 1951 to 1953. 332 of these machines went to the RAF, with the other 16 going to Rhodesia. The Rhodesian machines differed by being fitted with the Goblin 3 instead of Goblin 2 engine, permitting better performance under «hot-&-high» conditions.

The British Royal Navy’s Fleet Air Arm (FAA) was interested in the Vampire from early on. The second Vampire prototype, fitted with larger flaps and air brakes, was flown beginning in May 1945 for a preliminary assessment of its suitability for carrier operations; this going well, the prototype was modified with a yoke-style arresting hook, which retracted through the exhaust flow into a fairing above the exhaust, as well as a teardrop canopy and a Goblin 2 engine, in preparation for actual carrier operations. On 3 December 1945, the Sea Vampire performed the very first jet carrier landings and take-offs, with Lieutenant Commander Eric Brown performing several landings and take-offs on the HMS Ocean off the Isle of Wight.

Although the trials went well, the FAA finally decided that the Sea Vampire wasn’t what the service required for a first-line fighter, but it did seem like a cost-effective training and evaluation machine for bringing the Royal Navy up to speed in jet carrier operations, and so, in early 1947, a batch of Sea Vampire F.20 machines was ordered for that purpose.

The F.20 featured the larger flaps, larger airbrakes, and the arresting hook featured on the Sea Vampire demonstrator; it also added ruggedized, long-stroke landing gear, plus FB.5 clipped wings. Although 30 F.20s were ordered, only 18 were actually obtained, all as modifications of Vampire F.3s or F.5s. Initial service deliveries were in October 1948. Pilots found the F.20 to be very pleasant on carrier approach, particularly with the fine view from the set-forward cockpit, but unpleasantly sluggish on take-offs when catapult wasn’t used. The Sea Vampire F.20s were finally pulled from service in 1956 and 1957, to be scrapped in 1960.

De Havilland also developed a two-seat version of the Vampire using company funds, designated the DH.113. The DH.113 had the wings and tail of the single-seat Vampire FB.5 with a new fuselage, stretched by 1.17 meters (46 inches) to accommodate AI.X (US SCR-720B) radar and featuring a cockpit with side-by-side seating, the pilot in the left seat and the navigator / radar operator in the right. The two seats were a tight fit, and so they were staggered, with the pilot’s seat forward of the navigator / radar operator’s seat. The crew sat under a single canopy that hinged up in the rear; ejection seats were not fitted, but the canopy could be jettisoned in an emergency.

Since the DH.113’s weight was 122 kg. (270 pounds) greater than that of a single-seat vampire, the uprated Goblin 3 engine was fitted. The DH.113 retained the quad Hispano Mark V 20mm. cannon of the single-seaters, and could carry a fuel tank under each wing. It could also carry a bomb under each wing as an alternative external store.

Three prototypes were built, the first performing its initial flight on 28 August 1949 with test pilot Geoffrey Pike at the controls; it was appropriately named «Pike’s Pig” and flew at the Farnborough air show nine days later. Test flights showed the DH.113 was actually slightly faster than an FB.5, due to the Goblin 3 engine and improved aerodynamics. It was, however, slower than a Meteor night-fighter and had a substantially poorer rate of climb.

The month after de Havilland showed the DH.113 off at Farnborough, Egypt ordered 12 of the machines, but tensions were very high in the Middle East and the British government embargoed weapons shipments to the region. The Egyptians never saw these machines; the RAF took over the order, designating the type the Vampire Night Fighter Mark 10 (NF.10), using it as an interim solution until late-mark Meteor and Venom night fighters were available. Initial service deliveries of the NF.10 were in the spring of 1950. Only 78 NF.10s were built, and they only remained in first line service to 1954.

After their retirement from the night-fighter role, 36 NF.10s were converted to a navigation trainer and redesignated Vampire NF(T).10. The AI.X radar was yanked, being replaced by ballast in the form of concrete blocks, and the navigation kit was upgraded. The NF(T).10s remained in service until 1959.

De Havilland also built an export variant of the NF.10 designated the Vampire NF.54. A total of 14 was built for Italy and delivered in 1952-1953; 30 retired NF.10s were also refurbished to the NF.54 configuration for India, with deliveries from 1954 to 1958.

The Vampire having proven popular, in the spring of 1950 de Havilland brass decided to develop a two-seat side-by-side trainer variant, the DH.115. Initial flight of the prototype was on 15 November 1950, with John Wilson at the controls. The RAF was intrigued by the DH.115, seeing it as a useful complement to the Meteor T.7 trainer, and performed a lengthy evaluation of the prototype from the spring of 1951 to early 1952. Production orders followed, with the Vampire T.11, as the RAF designated it, going into service in the fall of 1952. The RAF obtained a total of 526.

The T.11 was generally based on the NF.10 and looked much like it, though the cockpit had been redesigned for more space, and the seats were not staggered. The NF.10 had a pull-off nose to give access to the radar; the T.11 had a neat hinge-up «hood» or «bonnet» for servicing systems in the nose. The T.11 was powered by the Goblin 33 engine, which was essentially a Goblin 3 modified to provide air bleed from the engine compressor for cabin pressurization; the Goblin 3 had used an external blower for that purpose. The T.11 was in principle combat-capable, retaining the four-cannon armament, though usually only two were fitted, as well as the capability to carry external stores.

Aircrews found the performance and handling of the T.11 satisfactory, but the NF.10-style canopy provided a poor field of view, the cockpit was cramped, and there were still no ejection seats. The 144th T.11 introduced a «blown» canopy with a much better field of view, plus a new tailfin that featured a long dorsal extension, and twin Martin-Baker Mark 3B ejection seats. Earlier production was brought up to the same standard. The T.11 flew with RAF Training Command until 1962, when it was replaced by the Folland Gnat T.1. A few T.11s remained in RAF service in miscellaneous roles until 1967.

The Royal Navy also acquired 73 T.11s with minor modifications under the designation Sea Vampire T.22, with deliveries from 1952 to 1955. Despite the name, they were not carrier-capable. As with the T.11s, early production had the original framed canopy and lacked ejection seats; the blown canopy and ejection seats were added in later production and retrofitted to earlier machines. The Sea Vampire T.22s served into the early 1960s, with some then phased out, some passed on to other air arms, and a few lingering as hacks up to about 1970.

An export version, the T.55, was produced as well, with a total of 232 built in the UK for foreign customers. The Swiss built 30 T.55s under license, while India built 60; some of the Indian T.55s were converted to a photo-reconnaissance configuration and redesignated PR.55. CAC in Australia built a series of their own trainer variants.

A total of over 4,580 Vampires of all types was built, with the last of them leaving (Swiss) military service in 1990. The type still survives in private hands as a warbird airshow attraction. While the Vampire saw little real combat action, it was a valuable tool for giving the RAF and other services a bridge between the piston and jet fighter ages.

The Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) was interested in the Vampire from early on, with the service performing an evaluation of a loaned F.1 from 1946 to 1949. There were particular concerns that the Vampire might not fare well in Arctic conditions, but the evaluation revealed no undue problems on that score, and so the Canadian government ordered 150 F.3s.

Only 85 were actually obtained, being delivered from 1947 to 1948. The RCAF liked the Vampire a good deal, with a demonstration team, the Blue Devils, flying the Vampire to 1952, when it was replaced by the Canadair Sabre. The RCAF F.3s were, as a rule, only flown in Canada; at least one Vampire squadron redeployed to the UK for a time but used RAF FB.5s on loan. The RCAF Vampires were finally phased out in 1958, with some ending up in civilian hands, and 15 eventually being acquired by Mexico.

The Royal Australian Air Force liked the idea of the Nene Vampire and placed an order for 80 Nene-powered Vampires in 1946, with the machines to be built by CAC in Australia. An F.1, one of the F.2 prototypes, and a Vampire F.5 were sent to Australia to provide the RAAF with familiarization on the type. The production batch included 57 F.30s and 23 FB.31s; plans for the Australian production of the improved FB.32 didn’t pan out.

CAC also built 36 T.33 trainers, generally of the same configuration as early production T.11s, for the RAAF, plus 5 similar T.34s for the Royal Australian Navy. These machines were later upgraded to late T.11 spec and redesignated T.33A and T.34A, with the RAN obtaining one new-build T.34A as an attrition replacement. The RAAF also obtained 68 T.35 trainers, built to late T.11 spec.

New Zealand obtained 18 FB.52s in 1950:1951, followed by six early-standard T.55s in 1952, with eight refurbished ex-RAF FB.5s delivered as attrition replacements in that same year. A second wave of Vampire purchases followed a few years later, with five late-spec T.11s and 21 refurbished ex-RAF FB.5s delivered in 1955-1956.

The New Zealand Vampires generally flew only at home, though some Royal New Zealand Air Force Vampire squadrons did fly overseas, using RAF aircraft. The New Zealander Vampires served into the early 1970s, when they were replaced by the McDonnell Douglas Skyhawk and BAC Strikemaster.

Sweden was one of the early adopters of the Vampire, obtaining 70 Vampire F.1s / J 28As in 1946, followed by 310 Vampire FB.6s / J 28Bs in 1949:1952. The J 28As, with their limited fuel supply, were mostly for familiarization with jet operations until the Flygvapnet (Swedish Air Force) could obtain more satisfactory machines of Swedish design. The J 28s flew in tidy camouflage colors.

The Flygvapnet obtained 20 early-spec T.55 trainers under the designation of Sk 28C-1 in 1953, followed by 15 late-spec T.55 trainers as the Sk 28C-2 in 1955. In 1956, 12 FB.6 / J 28Bs were converted in the UK to the late-spec trainer configuration, with these machines designated Sk 28C-3 by the Flygvapnet. The Swedish Vampire trainers were out of service by 1968.

Switzerland was another early user of the Vampire, and would keep the type in service for decades. Three Vampire F.1s were obtained in 1946 for evaluation, with a fourth obtained that same year when one of the initial three was lost in a crash. The evaluation going well, an order for 75 FB.6s machines was placed in 1947, with these aircraft delivered from the UK in 1949-1950 and replacing Flugwaffe (Swiss Air Force) Messerschmitt Bf 109s. In 1949, an agreement was struck for the license construction of 100 more FB.6s in Switzerland, with Goblin 3 engines provided by de Havilland, fuselages provided by Pilatus Stans, the rest of the airframe provided by Aircraft Factory Altenrhein, and assembly in Emmen. These machines were delivered in 1951-1952. Three more Vampire FB.6s were assembled from spares stockpiles in 1960.

France was another enthusiastic user of the Vampire from early on, with the Armee de l’Air obtaining 30 ex-RAF Vampire F.1s in 1948 for familiarization, followed by 94 ex-RAF FB.5s in 1949 for first-line squadron use. This led to the local license production of the FB.51 by Sud-Est, with 67 built from DH-supplied knockdown kits and 120 more built in their entirety in France. They were followed by the Nene-powered Mistrals, including the four SE.530 prototypes, the 93 SE.532s, and the 150 SE.535s. The first Mistral squadron was formed up in 1953. The French never obtained any two-seat Vampires.

AA Vampires saw service against Tunisian insurgents in 1951, with AA Vampires and Mistrals performing similar duties against Algerian insurgents from 1955 to 1961. The Aéronavale, the French naval air arm, obtained some Vampires for training, using them in that role from 1954 to 1961.

Italy was yet another big Vampire user, with the Aeronautica Militare Italiana (AMI / Italian Air Force) obtaining an initial batch of five FB.5s in 1950, followed by 51 FB.52As in that year and 1951, and then delivery of 150 FB.52As built locally by Macchi and Fiat over the next few years. Initial flight of an Italian-built FB.52A was on 18 December 1951.

Egypt was the first Middle Eastern nation to obtain the Vampire. The country ordered 12 DH.113 night fighters, but these machines were embargoed and ended up as RAF Vampire NF.10s. However, Egypt obtained an FB.5 in 1949 and 50 FB.52s over the next few years.

The embargo was lifted in 1953 and Egypt then obtained 58 reconditioned Italian FB.52As, with some of these machines possibly diverted to Syria. The final Egyptian Vampire buy was of 12 T.55 trainers in 1955. In that year, rising tensions with Israel led to dogfights between Egyptian Vampires and Israeli Meteors, with the Israelis claiming kills.

The Israelis claimed another Vampire kill in the spring of 1956, but that was only a warmup for more serious action. After Egyptian President Gamal Abdel Nasser nationalized the Suez Canal in that year, the British, French, and Israelis seized it by force in October and November under Operation Musketeer. Egyptian forces took a clobbering from the invasion, losing some Vampires in air combat and many more on the ground.

The Iraqi Air Force obtained six Vampire FB.52s and a single Vampire T.55 in 1953, when the country was effectively a British protectorate, to form up the nation’s first jet fighter unit. They were followed by six more FB.52s and nine more T.55s to 1955, the same year the British pulled out of the country. Iraqi Vampires were used against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq in 1961. It seems that many of these machines were no longer in flying condition by that time, and that they faded out of service completely over the next few years.

Jordan obtained ten ex-RAF FB.9s in 1955 and 1956, with two ex-RAF T.11s provided in 1955 and a third passed on in 1960. As mentioned, Egypt handed on seven FB.52s to Jordan in 1956. Two of the FB.52s were destroyed during the 1967 Six-Day War, with the remaining six single-seaters still in service withdrawn soon after the conflict. The Vampire trainers remained in service until 1972.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) was the most enthusiastic Asian user of the Vampire. Three Vampire F.3s were delivered from the UK in 1948, with 39 UK-built FB.52s following in 1949:1951. By the time of the last FB.52 delivery from Britain, Hindustan Aircraft Limited (HAL) was working on local production of the type, with the first HAL-built FB.52 performing its initial flight on 21 February 1952, and 247 manufactured over the next few years.

Two IAF FB.52s and two T.55s were passed on to the Indian Navy to support training for their Hawker Sea Hawk naval fighters. IAF Vampires saw combat during the occupation of Goa in late 1961, as well as during the 1965 Indo-Pakistan War. It appears that the Vampires suffered badly during the 1965 conflict, being no match for Pakistani F.86 Sabres. IAF Vampires were relegated to training after the shooting stopped, though they saw limited service in the 1971 Indo-Pakistan War. They were formally phased out in 1975.

South Africa obtained ten Vampire FB.5s in 1950, followed by ten FB.52s in 1952 and six early-spec T.55s in 1952. The aircraft proving satisfactory, a batch of 30 FB.9s was obtained in 1953, followed by 21 late-spec T.55s in 1954 and 1955. The single-seaters lingered in service to 1967, when they were phased out.

Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) obtained 16 Vampire FB.9s (with the Goblin 3 engine) in 1953-1954, followed by 16 T.11s in 1955. Rhodesian Vampires flew under RAF control during the insurgency in Aden in 1958. Beginning in the mid-1960s, jungle-camouflaged Rhodesian Vampires flew strikes against the insurgency in their own country. Rhodesian Vampires appear to have lingered in service into the 1980s, with a number of machines sold off to private collectors and museums after their end of service.

Chile bought five T.55 trainers in 1953, obtaining an attrition replacement (in the form of a de Havilland T.55 demonstrator) in 1956. In 1963 the T.55s were refurbished for the ground attack role, serving in that capacity into the early 1970s. The Chileans seemed to really like the Vampire, and in 1972 obtained ten more two-seaters, including four ex-RAF T.11s and six ex-FAA T.22s, as ground-attack trainers. They served up to 1980.

Venezuela obtained 24 Vampire FB.5s in 1949-1952. One T.55 was also obtained for evaluation in 1952, leading to an order for five more T.55s, delivered in 1958. Venezuelan Vampires saw a little action in an army mutiny in 1958. All of Venezuela’s Vampires were out of service by the early 1970s.

In 1960, the Fuerza Aérea Mejicana (FAM / Mexican Air Force) obtained 15 ex-RCAF Vampire F.3s to come into the jet age. The Vampires were known as Aguacates (Avocadoes), because of the appearance of the fuselage, and because they were painted olive drab. Two ex-RAF T.11s were obtained in 1962 to complement the F.3s. All survivors were withdrawn from service in 1970.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

airvectors.net
Ugolok Neba

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: