jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

Grumman S-2 Tracker

Avión antisubmarino norteamericano
US ASW aircraft

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(S-2F)
TECHNICAL DATA
(S-2F)
TIPO:Avión antisubmarino. TYPE:ASW aircraft.
TRIPULANTES:4 CREW:4
ENVERGADURA:22´12 m. SPAN:72.7 ft.
LONGITUD:13´26 m. LENGTH:43.6 ft.
ALTURA:5´33 m. HEIGHT:17.6 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:45´06 m². WING AREA:485 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:8.310 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:18,315 lb.
MOTOR:dos motores radiales Wright R-1820-82WA de 1.525 hp. (1,137 kW) cada uno. ENGINE:Two Wright R-1820-82WA radial engines developing 1,525 hp. (1,137 kW) each.
ARMAMENTO:

Hasta 2.200 kg. en soportes subalares.

  • Torpedos Mk. 41, Mk. 43, Mk. 34, Mk. 44, or Mk. 46.
  • Cargas de profundidad Mk. 54 o minas navales.
ARMAMENT:

Up to 4,800 lb. (2,200 kg.) of payload could be carried in the internal bomb bay and on 6 under-wing hardpoints

  • Mk. 41, Mk. 43, Mk. 34, Mk. 44, or Mk. 46 torpedoes.
  • Mk. 54 depth charges or naval mines.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:450 km/h. MAX. SPEED:280 mph.
TECHO:6.700 m. CEILING:22,000 ft.
ALCANCE:2.170 km. RANGE:1,350 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:4 de diciembre de 1952. FIRST FLIGHT:4 December 1952.
VERSIONES:40 VERSIONS:40
CONSTRUIDOS:1,284 BUILT:1,284

La aparición de los submarinos nucleares armados con misiles tuvo un impacto importante y amplio en la naturaleza y número de aviones dedicados a misiones antisubmarinas. La clave de la defensa contra los submarinos es la capacidad de detectar su presencia, y el desarrollo de una amplia gama de nuevos sistemas de detección supuso una nueva exigencia para los aviones que debían llevarlos. A su vez, apareció nuevo armamento como los misiles guiados aire-profundidad submarina, que debían ser acomodados en los aviones junto a sus sistemas electrónicos asociados.

Estos cambios pronto dejaron obsoletos a los equipos antisubmarinos compuestos por un avión rastreador y otro de ataque de la inmediata posguerra, como los formados por el TBM-3S y TBM3W, o el AF-2S y AF-2W. Para sustituirlos la Marina Norteamericana inició el 30 de junio de 1950 un programa para fabricar un modelo nuevo que combinase ambas misiones en un solo avión. Los requisitos clave eran la capacidad de llevar las armas y equipo necesarios, además de combustible suficiente para realizar largas misiones a baja altura en un avión capaz de operar desde portaaviones. La elección de la Marina fue el Grumman G-89, un monoplano bimotor de ala alta con dos motores radiales Wright R-1820-82WA de 1.525 hp. El armamento era transportado en una bodega en el fuselaje, mientras otros compartimientos en la parte posterior de las góndolas llevaban sonoboyas. El equipo detector se componía de un radar de búsqueda APS-38 alojado en un radomo escamoteable en la parte posterior del fuselaje, un reflector de 70 millones de candelas en el ala de estribor y un detector de anomalías magnéticas ASQ10 en un carenado escamoteable también en la parte trasera del fuselaje. Podía llevar armamento o carga adicional en tres soportes bajo cada ala.

Cuando se solicitó, el prototipo fue denominado XS2F-1, pero todos los aviones de la serie del S2F Tracker pasaron a llamarse serie S-2 en 1962. El primer vuelo del prototipo fue el 4 de diciembre de 1952 y el primer avión S-2A (S2F-1) de serie lo hizo el 7 de julio de 1953. El modelo entró en servicio en la Escuadrilla Antisubmarina YS-26 en febrero de 1954. La producción de esta versión llegó a los 755 aviones, incluidos 15 aviones de pruebas YS-2A (YS2F-1). Más de 100 unidades del total fueron suministrados a países extranjeros dentro del Programa Militar de Adquisiciones. Las modificaciones tras la entrega dieron lugar a 207 TS-2A (S2F1T) destinados a las escuadrillas de entrenamiento, más de 50 US-2A remolcadores de blancos para reemplazar a los UB-26J y a algunos S-2B (S2F-1S), que diferían de los S-2A en su equipo de búsqueda acústica de largo alcance AQA-3 Jezebel y su equipo asociado de eco Julie.

Se entregaron 77 S-2C (S2F-2) en 1954-55 tras su primer vuelo el 12 de julio de 1954. Tenían bodegas de armamento mayores para llevar un nuevo modelo de torpedo buscador, y las superficies de cola más amplias para llevar más peso en las operaciones. Unos cuantos de este lote, dotados de cámaras, fueron denominados RS2C (S2F-2P), y otros 48 se modificaron como transportes y se consignaron como US2C (S2F-2U). La segunda versión más fabricada fue el G-121 S-2D (S2F-3), cuyo primer vuelo fue el 20 de mayo de 1959. Tenía el fuselaje delantero agrandado para mejora el espacio y confort de los dos pilotos y los dos radaristas. La envergadura se incrementó, las superficies de cola y la capacidad de combustible se agrandaron y se modificaron las góndolas para llevar 16 sonoboyas en lugar de 8. El uso operativo del S-2D se inició en mayo de 1961, modelo al que siguió el S-2E (S2F-3S) al año siguiente, siendo este modelo un S-2D dotado de equipo Julie-Jezebel y un sistema de navegación táctica. La producción del S-2D fue de 100 aviones, seguidos de 252 S-2E, incluidos los fabricados para el extranjero.

Mejoras posteriores realizadas a los S-2B iniciales con la instalación del sistema Julie-Jezebel supusieron la denominación S-2F (S2F-1S1) en 1962. La introducción del S-2D y S-2E en la Flota liberó a modelos anteriores para realizar otras misiones. Así, un grupo de 64 aviones entre S-2A, S-2B, TS-2A y US-2A se convirtieron en transportes US-2B. Cincuenta S-2E se convirtieron a su vez en S-2G tras la instalación del equipo procesador AN/AQA-7 DIFAR, radar infrarrojo proel (FLIR) y electrónica moderna, como un contenedor de contramedidas electrónicas (ECM) bajo cada ala. El prototipo de la conversión, denominado YS-2G, fue fabricado por la compañía Martin en 1972, suministrándose 49 equipos a la Marina, la cual empleó los S-2G provisionalmente en sus unidades de primera línea durante 2 años a la espera de la introducción del Lockheed S-3 Viking. Otros programas de conversión crearon unos pocos ES-3D, entrenadores de guerra electrónica y comunicaciones, y US-2D y US-2F, remolcadores de blancos.

En el cénit de su despliegue, el S-2 Tracker operaba en 16 unidades antisubmarinas y dos escuadrillas de entrenamiento. El modelo sirvió durante 22 años, de febrero de 1954 a diciembre de 1975, al terminar la unidad VS-37 su despliegue en el Pacífico a bordo del USS Kitty Hawk. Esta unidad había volado los S-2G desde diciembre de 1972. Este no fue realmente el final, ya que el modelo TS-2A continuó en servicio hasta marzo de 1979 como entrenador, habiendo ya sido retirado de las escuadrillas VT-27 y VT-31.

Un derivado del Tracker apareció en 1955 como TF-1 (G-96), convirtiéndose después en el C-1A Trader. Volado por vez primera el 19 de enero de 1955, tenía nuevo fuselaje y espacio para 9 pasajeros. Estaba diseñado como transporte de personal a buques. La producción fue de 87 unidades e incluyó 4 G-125 EC-1A (TF-1Q) modificados con contramedidas electrónicas. Los C-1A operaron en las escuadrillas VR-21, VR-24 y VR-40 hasta finales de los años 80, cuando el C-1A con número de serie 146048 quedó depositado en el Museo de la Aviación Naval el 30 de septiembre de 1988. Fue el último avión operativo con motor de combustión interna alternativo de la Marina.

Para proporcionar a la Marina un avión de alerta temprana capaz de operar desde portaaviones, Grumman comenzó a desarrollar una versión del Tracker en 1954. Basado en el S-2A, fue proyectado como XWF-1 y fue seguido del WF-2, basado a su vez en el C-1A y posteriormente denominado E-1B, o más comúnmente como “Willy Fudd” por sus pilotos. El primer vuelo (17 de diciembre de 1956) lo realizó el G-117, un C-1A modificado como prototipo aerodinámico (XTF-1 W) dotado de un enorme radomo de 6 por 9 m. sobre el fuselaje. El otro cambio externo evidente era su cola de dos derivas y timones y una aleta central.  La entrega de los 88 E-1B de serie con sistemas de radar Hazeltine APS-82 comenzó en febrero de 1958 y su entrada en servicio en el Atlántico a finales de 1960. Los E-1B fueron operados por las escuadrillas VAW-11 y VAW-12, que proporcionaban destacamentos que servían a bordo de buques de las Flotas del Pacífico y Atlántico hasta pasar al retiro en 1976 tras la llegada del E-2 Hawkeye.



The advent of missile-armed nuclear submarines had significant and far-reaching effects upon the nature and number of aircraft employed for anti-submarine duties. The key to defence against submarines is the ability to detect their presence, and the development of a range of sophisticated new detection equipment placed new demands upon the aircraft which carried it. At the same time, new weapons appeared, including air-to-underwater guided missiles, which had to be accommodated together with associated electronic systems.

These processes soon rendered out of date the anti-submarine hunter-killer teams of the immediate post-war years, such as the TBM-3S/TBM3W and AF-2S/AF-2W. To succeed them, the Navy initiated on June 30, 1950, a programme to produce a new type combining both roles in one airframe. Key requirements were the ability to carry all the necessary weapons and equipment plus fuel for long search missions at low altitude, in an aeroplane suitable for operation from carrier decks. The Navy’s choice to meet its specification was the Grumman G-89, a twin-engine high-wing monoplane powered by two 1,525 hp. Wright R-1820-82WA piston engines. Weapons were carried in a fuselage bay, and bays in the rear of the engine nacelles carried sono-buoys. Detection equipment included APS-38 search radar in a retractable radome in the rear fuselage, a 70-million candlepower searchlight on the starboard wing and an ASQ10 magnetic anomaly detector in a retractable fairing in the rear fuselage. Additional weapons or stores could be carried on three strong points under each wing.

When first ordered, the prototype was designated XS2F-1, but all aircraft in the S2F Tracker series were redesignated in the S-2 series in 1962. The prototype’s first flight was made on December 4, 1952, and the first production S-2A (S2F-1) flew on July 7,1953. The type entered service with Anti-Submarine Squadron YS-26 in February 1954. Production of this version totalled 755, including 15 trials aircraft as YS-2As (YS2F-1s); over 100 from this total were supplied to foreign nations under MAP arrangements. Post-delivery modifications produced 207 TS-2As (S2F1T) for use by training squadrons, over 50 US-2A target-tugs to replace the Navy’s UB-26Js, and a quantity of S-2Bs (S2F-1S), which differed from the S-2As in having AQA-3 Jezebel passive long-range acoustic search equipment and its associated Julie explosive echo-sounding equipment.

Seventy-seven S-2Cs (S2F-2) delivered in 1954-55, following first flight on July 12, 1954, had enlarged bomb-bays in order to carry a new type of homing torpedo, and the tail surfaces were enlarged to match the higher operating weights. A few of this batch, with cameras, were designated RS2C (S2F-2P), and 48 others modified for use on utility duties were US2C (S2F-2U). The second major production version was the G-121 S-2D (S2F-3), first f1ow.n on May 20, 1959. This had an enlarged front fuselage to improve working space and comfort for the two pilots and two radar operators; the span was increased, tail surfaces enlarged, fuel capacity Increased and engine nacelles modIfied to carry 16 instead of eight sonobuoys each. Operational use of the S-2D began in May 1961, and the S-2E (S2F-3S) followed a year later, this being the S-2D with Julie-Jezebel equipment and a tactical navigation system. Production of the S-2D totalled 100, followed by 252 S-2Es, including some for foreign users.

Further updating of the early S-2Bs with the Julie/Jezebel installation led to their redesignation as S-2Fs (S2F-1S1s) in 1962. Introduction of the S-2D and S-2E to fleet service freed earlier models for other use, and 64 assorted S-2As, S-2Bs, TS-2As and US-2As were converted to US-2Bs for general utility use. Fifty S-2Es were converted to S-2Gs when fitted with AN/AQA-7 DIFAR processing equipment, FLIR and updated electronics including an ECM pod under each wing. The prototype YS-2G conversion was made by the Martin company in 1972, and 49 kits were then supplied to the Navy, which used the S-2Gs for an interim update of its front-line Tracker units for two years pending introduction of the Lockheed S-3 Viking. Other conversion programmes produced a few ES-3D electronic warfare trainers and US-2D and US-2F communications and target-towing aircraft.

At the peak of its deployment, the S-2 Tracker served with some 16 anti-submarine squadrons plus the two readiness (training) squadrons. The type served for 22 years, from February 1954 to December 1975, when VS-37 ended a Pacific deployment aboard USS Kitty Hawk. This unit had been flying S-2Gs since December 1972, and Trackers since July 1955. Even this was not quite the end, though, for the TS-2A remained in service with VT-28 until March 1, 1979, as a multi-engined trainer, having by then been retired by VT-27 and VT-31.

A derivative of the Tracker appeared in 1955 as the TF-1 (G-96), later becoming the C-1A Trader. First flown on January 19, 1955, this had a new fuselage with accommodation for nine passengers and was designed as a carrier on board delivery (COD) transport. Production totalled 87 and included four G-125 EC-1As (TF-1Q) modified for electronic countermeasures missions. The C-1As operated with VR-21, VR-24 and VR-40 into the late ‘eighties, and when C-1A BuNo 146048 was retired (to the Naval Aviation Museum) on September 30, 1988, the Navy had withdrawn its last operational reciprocating-engined aircraft.

To provide the Navy with an airborne early-warning aircraft capable of operating from aircraft carriers, Grumman began development of a version of the Tracker in 1954. Based on the S-2A, this was projected as the XWF-1, but was superseded by the WF-2, based on the C-1A and subsequently redesignated E-1B, more often being known as ‘Willy Fudd’ to its pilots from its original designation. The first flight, on December 17, 1956, was by the G-117, a C-1A modified as an aerodynamic prototype (XTF-1 W) carrying the massive dish-type radome, measuring 20 ft by 30 ft, above the fuselage. The other major external change consisted of a new tail unit with twin fins and rudders and a central fin. Delivery of 88 production model E-1Bs with Hazeltine APS-82 radar systems, began in February 1958 and service use with the US Atlantic Fleet began late in 1960. The E-1Bs were flown by VAW-11 and VAW-12, providing detachments to serve aboard ships of the Atlantic and Pacific Fleets until the E-2 Hawkeyes became available, and were finally retired in 1976.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

G. Swanborough & Peter M. Bowers, United States Navy Aircraft since 1911, Putnam Aeronautical Books, 1990.

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: