jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

Heinkel He 177

Bombardero alemán
German bomber


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(He 177A·5/R2)
TECHNICAL DATA
(He 177A·5/R2)
TIPO:Bombardero pesado y transporte de misiles. TYPE:Heavy bomber and missile-carrier.
TRIPULANTES:6 CREW:6
ENVERGADURA:31’44 m. SPAN:103.1 ft.
LONGITUD:20’40 m. LENGTH:66.11 ft.
ALTURA:6’39 m. HEIGHT:20.11 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:102 m². WING AREA:1,097.95 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:16.800 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:37,038 lb.
MOTOR:Dos motores Daimler-Benz DB 610A/B de 2.950 hp. (2.200 kW) cada uno de ellos con dos motores pareados DB605 de 12 cilindros en V. ENGINE: Two 2,950-hp (22oo-kW) Daimler-Benz DB 610A/B engines, each comprising two 12-cylinder inverted-Vee DB 605 engines close-couple.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Tres ametralladoras MG 81 de 7’92 mm.
  • Tres ametralladoras MG 131 de 13 mm.
  • Dos cañones MG 151/20 de 20 mm.
  • 1.000 kg. de bombas en el interior del fuselaje.
  • Dos misiles Henschel Hs 293 bajo las alas.
ARMAMENT:

  • Three 7.92-mm. MG 81.
  • Three 13-mm. MG 131 machine-guns.
  • Two 20mm MG 151/20 cannon.
  • 2,205 Ib (1000 kg) of bombs internally .
  • Two Henschel Hs 293 missiles
    under the wings.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:490 km/h. a 6.000 m. MAX. SPEED:304 mph. at 19,685 ft.
TECHO:8.000 m. CEILING:26,245 ft.
ALCANCE:5.500 km. con dos misiles Hs 293. RANGE:3,417 ml. with two Hs 293 missiles.
PRIMER VUELO:19 de noviembre de 1939. FIRST FLIGHT:19 November 1939.
VERSIONES:34 VERSIONS:34
CONSTRUIDOS:1.169 (todos los modelos). BUILT:1,169 (all variants).

En la primavera de 1938 Heinkel recibió del Reichsluftfahrtministerium un contrato para el desarrollo de su proyecto P.1041, surgido como respuesta a una especificación oficial que solicitaba un bombardero de largo alcance. Aunque se llegaron a fabricar casi 1.200 unidades del Heinkel He 177 Greif (Grifo), el modelo nunca llegó a desarrollar todo su potencial y se ganó con justicia su apodo de “Ataúd Llameante“. Esto fue tal vez algo injusto, si bien sus motores Daimler-Benz DB 606 tenían tendencia a sobrecalentarse y se produjeron varios incendios en los motores en pleno vuelo. El diseñador de Heinkel, Siegfried Günter, solicitó dos motores de 2.000 hp. (1.491 kW) para motorizar su proyecto, pero por entonces una unidad de tal tipo no estaba disponible y en su lugar se instalaron dos Daimler-Benz DB 601 unidos para producir el DB 606 de 2.e600 hp. (1.939 kW). Otra característica novedosa del He 177 fue su tren de aterrizaje, que se componía de dos patas principales a cada lado que se plegaban transversalmente en las alas, por fuera y por dentro de las góndolas motoras.

El primer prototipo realizó su primer vuelo el 19 de noviembre de 1939 en Rostock-Marienehe pilotado por el ingeniero Francke perteneciente al Erprobungsstelle E-2 con base en Rechlin. El primer vuelo terminó abruptamente al elevarse rápidamente la temperatura de los motores y experimentarse vibración en el avión. También se comprobó que las superficies de cola eran inadecuadas, por ello se les aumentó la superficie tras el accidente del segundo prototipo, que se desintegró debido a la vibración de las alas durante las pruebas de picado. Este problema también ocurrió con el cuarto prototipo. El quinto fue el primero en llevar armamento (cuatro ametralladoras MG 15 en montajes individuales en el morro, dorso, vientre y cola) y también el primero en sufrir un incendio en sus motores y accidentarse. Se fabricaron tres prototipos más, los dos primeros con morros modificados que montaban dos cañones MG FF y una ametralladora MG 131. Tras las pruebas posteriores se fabricaron 35 unidades de la versión de preserie He 177A-G, 15 en Rostock, 15 en Oranienburg y cinco en Warnemünde a cargo de Arado. Estos aviones se emplearon en pruebas de desarrollo y el entrenamiento de tripulantes para la serie inicial He 177A-1, que se introdujo en marzo de 1942. Arado fabricó 130 ejemplares en cuatro modelos derivados, cada uno de ellos con ligeras diferencias en su armamento, con las designaciones He 177A-1/R1 a He 177A-1/R4.

Varios He 177A-1 iniciales se entregaron en julio de 1942 para pruebas operativas con la unidad 1./KG 40 con base en Burdeos-Merignac (Francia), pero la débil estructura de las alas forzó a llevar a cabo un profundo cambio en ellas. Los primeros He 177A-3 modificados que entraron en servicio en la Luftwaffe fueron entregados en los últimos meses de 1942. Se produjeron 170 unidades de la serie A-3 en Oranienburg, los primeros 15 recibieron la designación He 177A-3/R1 y mantuvieron los motores DB 606A/B. El resto del lote llevaba motores DB 610, que se componía de los modelos He 177A-3/R2, con mejoras en su armamento, el He 177A-3/R3, que llevaba tres misiles Henschel Hs 293, y el He 177A-3/R4, dotado de una góndola que contenía el equipo de control de misiles FuG 203. La inclusión de un cañón de 75 mm. caracterizaba al modelo He 177A-3/R5, y se fabricaron también tres ejemplares del He 177A-3/R7 equipados para llevar dos torpedos. La versión final de producción fue el He 177A-5 con alas reforzadas que le permitían transportar mayor carga subalar, flaps Fowler suprimidos y patas del tren de aterrizaje más cortas. Se fabricó en principio en los modelos He 177A-5/R1 a He 177A-5/R4 con escasos cambios en su armamento, seguido del He 177A5/R5, que incorporaba una barbeta dirigida por control remoto tras la bodega de bombas, y el casi idéntico He 177A-5/R6 que no tenía las dos bodegas de bombas delanteras. El modelo He 177A-5/R7 llevó por vez primera una carlinga presurizada, mientras que el He 177A-5/R8 incorporaba barbetas artilleras bajo el morro y en la parte posterior. Más interesantes resultaron cinco He 177A-5 modificados para transportar nuevo armamento ofensivo y que podían llevar en la zona del compartimiento de bombas un dispositivo con 33 lanzacohetes que se disparaban hacia arriba en ángulo de 60°. Se entregaron en junio de 1944 con la denominación He 177 Zerstörer (Destructor) y fueron probados por el Erprobungskommando 25 en Tarnewitz, pero resulta improbable que llegaran a utilizarse operativamente.

Seis He 177A-6/R1 se fabricaron como modelos para el desarrollo de la versión He 177A-6, que incluía blindaje en el compartimiento de la tripulación así como mayor capacidad de combustible y armamento. El He 177 V22 sirvió como prototipo del He 177A-6/R2, un modelo con la parte anterior del fuselaje modificada y un armamento defensivo de dos cañones MG 151/20 de 20 mm. más cuatro MG 81 y tres ametralladoras MG 131. La variante última se creó a partir de seis células del He 177A-5 con una amplitud alar de 36 m. diseñadas para el planeado bombardero de alta cota He 177A-7, pero se probaron con cuatro motores DB 610 en lugar de los previstos DB 613 de 3.600 hp. (2.685 kW) compuestos de dos DB 603G.

Durante la primera mitad de 1944 los He 177 con base en Francia y Alemania tomaron parte en la Operación “Steinbock“, una ofensiva contra objetivos británicos, realizando sus ataques en picado desde gran altura. Esto les permitía penetrar las defensas sin dificultad, pero con escasa precisión. Este modelo también fue empleado en el Frente Oriental, pero la crítica escasez de combustible de Alemania y la concentración en la fabricación de cazas llevó a la retirada del He 177 a finales de 1944. Uno de estos aviones particularmente destacable fue ampliamente modificado en la factoría Letov de Praga duarnte 1943-44 para dotarlo de un compartimiento de bombas mayor que pudiese transportar la planeada bomba atómica alemana, pero nunca llegó a terminarse.



In the spring of 1938, Heinkel received from the Reichsluftfahrtministerium a development contract for its P.1041 project, evolved in response to an official specification for a long-range bomber. Although almost 1,200 examples of the resulting Heinkel He 177 Greif (Griffon) were built, the type never fulfilled its potential and, indeed, earned itself the nickname of the ‘Flaming Coffin‘. This was, perhaps, a little unfair, although the Daimler-Benz DB 606 engines were prone to overheating and a number of inflight engine fires occurred. Heinkel’s designer, Siegfried Günter, required two 2,000-hp (1491-kW) engines to power his brainchild, but a suitable power unit in this class was not then  available and two Daimler-Benz DB 601 engines were coupled together to produce the 2,6oo-hp (1939-kW) DB 606. Another novel feature of the He 177 was the main landing gear, comprising twin main legs on each side, which retracted sideways into the wing, inboard and outboard of each engine nacelle.

The first prototype flew on 19 November 1939 at Rostock-Marienehe, in the hands of Dipl. Ing. Francke of Erprobungsstelle E-2 at Rechlin. This first flight was cut short when the engine temperatures rose rapidly and vibration was experienced; the tail surfaces were also judged to be inadequate, and these were increased in area following the crash of the second prototype, which disintegrated when flutter was experienced during diving trials. This trouble also claimed the fourth prototype. The fifth prototype was the first to be armed (four MG 15 machine-guns singly mounted in nose, dorsal, ventral and tail positions), and was the first to suffer an engine fire and be lost. Three more prototypes were built, the first two with modified nose sections which mounted two MG FF cannon and an MG 131 machine-gun and following further testing 35 He 177A-G pre-production aircraft were built, 15 at Rostock, 15 at Oranienburg and five by Arado at Warnemünde. These were used for development trials and the conversion training of crews for the initial production He 177A-1, which was introduced in March 1942. Arado built a total of 130 in four sub-variants, each with minor armament variations, under the designations He 177A-1/R1 to He 177A-1/R4.

A number of early production He 177A-1s were delivered in July 1942 for operational trials with 1./KG 40 at Bordeaux-Merignac, but structural weaknesses in the wing necessitated substantial redesign, and the first of the modified He 177A-3s to see service with the Luftwaffe were delivered during the closing months of 1942. A total of 170 of the A-3 series was built at Oranienburg, the first 15 being designated He 177A-3/R1 and retaining the DB 606A/B engines. The remainder of the batch were powered by DB 610 engines, and included the He 177A-3/R2 with improved armament, the He 177A-3/R3 carrying three Henschel Hs 293 missiles and the He 177A-3/R4 having a gondola containing the FuG 203 missile-control equipment. The introduction of a 75-mm (2.95-in) cannon in a ventral gondola identified the He 177A-3/R5, and three He 177A-3/R7 aircraft were built and equipped to carry two torpedoes. Final production version was the He 177A-5 featuring a strengthened wing to allow for the carriage of heavier underwing loads, deletion of the Fowler flaps, and the introduction of shortened main landing gear legs. It was produced initially in He 177A-5/R1 to He 177A-5/R4 sub-variants with minor armament changes, followed by the He 177A5/R5 which mounted a remotely controlled barbette to the rear of the bomb bay and the generally similar He 177A-5/R6 in which two forward bomb bays were deleted. The He 177A-5/R7 introduced a pressurized cockpit, while the He 177A-5/R8 was equipped with barbettes in chin and rear positions. Most interesting were five He 177A-5 aircraft converted to carry revised offensive armament, the bomb bay area being used to mount an array of 33 rocket tubes, these weapons being fired upwards at a forward angle of 60°. Delivered in June 1944, and known as the He 177 Zerstörer (Destroyer), they were flown initially by Erprobungskommando 25 at Tarnewitz, but it seems unlikely that they were used operationally.

Six He 177A-6/R1 aircraft were built as development machines for a proposed He 177A-6 production version, including armour protection for the crew compartment and fuel tanks, and extra armament; and the He 177 V22 served as prototype for the He 177A-6/R2, this variant having a new forward fuselage and defensive armament of two 20-mm MG 151/20 cannon, plus four MG 81 and three MG 131 machine-guns. The final variant resulted from the conversion of six He 177A-5 airframes to incorporate a 118.11 ft. (36 m.) span wing which had been designed for the planned He 177A-7 high-altitude bomber, but these were flown with four DB 610 engines, instead of the intended 3,6oo-hp (2685-kW) DB 613s produced by the coupling of two DB 603Gs.

During the first half of 1944 French- and German-based He 177s took part in Operation ‘Steinbock’, an offensive against British targets, making their attacks in a high-speed shallow dive from altitude. This enabled them to penetrate the defences without difficulty, but did little for bombing accuracy. The type also saw service on the Eastern Front, but Germany’s critical fuel supply and the concentration of fighter production and operations led to virtual withdrawal of the He 177 by the end of 1944. One of these aircraft which was particularly noteworthy was modified extensively at Letov in Prague during 1943-4 to provide an enlarged bomb bay to accommodate the planned German atomic bomb; it was never completed.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

Mondey, David, The Hamlyn Concise Guide to Axis Aircraft of World War II, Chancellor Press, 1996.

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: