jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

McDonnell FH-1 Phantom

Caza naval norteamericano
U.S. naval fighter


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(FH-1)
TECHNICAL DATA
(FH-1)
TIPO:Caza embarcado. TYPE:Carrier-based fighter aircraft.
TRIPULANTES:1 CREW:1
ENVERGADURA:16’3 ft. SPAN:40.9 ft.
LONGITUD:11’35 m. LENGTH:37.3 ft.
ALTURA:4’32 m. HEIGHT:14.2 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:25’6 m². WING AREA:276 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:3.031 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:6,683 lb.
MOTOR:Dos turborreactores Westinghouse J30-WE-20 de 7’1 kN cada uno. ENGINE:Two Westinghouse J30-WE-20 turbojets, 1,600 lbf (7.1 kN) each.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Cuatro ametralladoras de 12’7 mm.
  • Ocho Cohetes Aéreos de Gran Velocidad (HVAR) de 12’7 mm.
ARMAMENT:

  • Four 0.50 in. (12.7 mm.) machine guns.
  • Eight 5 in. (127 mm.) High Velocity Aircraft Rockets (HVAR).
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:771 km/h. a nivel del mar. MAX. SPEED:479 mph. at sea level.
TECHO:12.525 m. CEILING:41,100 ft.
ALCANCE:1.120 km. RANGE:695 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:26 de enero de 1945. FIRST FLIGHT:26 January 1945.
VERSIONES:2 VERSIONS:2
CONSTRUIDOS:62 BUILT:62

La Corporación McDonnell Aircraft fue fundada en Saint Louis (Missouri) en 1939 por James McDonnell. En 1940 la compañía se ocupaba en fabricar ensamblajes para otros fabricantes aeronáuticos al tiempo que los EE.UU. se preparaban para la guerra, pero los ingenieros de McDonnell diseñaron un caza pesado bimotor de gran radio de acción que sería remitido al US Army Air Corps. Tras algunos cambios en el diseño, el Ejército se mostró interesado en pedir dos prototipos. El trabajo en el avión se retrasó y el Ejército estuvo a punto de cancelarlo, pero finalmente el primer XP-67, apodado Bat o Moonbat (Murciélago) realizó su primer vuelo el 6 de enero de 1944 con el piloto de pruebas E.E. Elliot a los mandos.

El Moonbat, como sugiere su apodo, era un avión poco común, mostrando lo que posteriormente se denominaría “combinación ala-fuselaje” (el ala se fusionaba suavemente con el fuselaje al objeto de maximizar la sustentación), que le daba un aspecto de ciencia-ficción de los años 40. Poseía una envergadura de 16’76 m., una longitud de 13’65 m. y un peso en vacío de 8.050 kg. El XP-67 llevaba dos motores de 12 cilindros en V invertida Continental XI-1430 refrigerados por agua con sobrealimentadores General Electric D-23 y escapes que aumentaban el empuje y daban a cada motor 1.350 CV (1.010 kW) al despegue. Los motores estaban alojados en góndolas aerodinámicas en cada ala y tenían hélices de cuatro palas.

El avión llevaba tren de aterrizaje de triciclo con una sola rueda en las patas y todas ellas plegables hacia detrás, las principales se alojaban en las góndolas motoras. El avión de serie habría de llevar cabina presurizada y un armamento de seis cañones de 37 mm. montados en las alas por dentro de los motores (aunque el prototipo no tenía presurización ni armamento).

Los motores Continental no daban la potencia establecida y se mostraron temperamentales, a menudo obligando a acortar los vuelos de prueba (incluido el primero). El 6 de septiembre de 1944 Elliot se vio obligado a volver a toda prisa a la pista al salir ardiendo uno de los motores. El avión sufrió desperfectos graves. En aquel momento, nadie tenía eperanzas de poder resolver el problema del motor y no había tampoco una gran disposición por parte de los militares hacia el XP-67 en cualquier caso. El programa se canceló en Octubre, dejando sin acabar el segundo prototipo.

Los ingenieros de McDonnell podrían haber tenido motivos para sentirse deprimidos por el fin del programa del XP-67, pero en ese momento estaban ya ocupados en otro caza más avanzado que les impedía meditar sobre el fracaso anterior. En 1942, el Departamento de Aeronáutica Naval de los EE.UU. (US Naval Bureau of Aeronautics) solicitó a McDonnell el diseño de un interceptor a reacción para operar desde portaaviones, por ello a inicios de 1943, la Marina otorgó un contrato de dos prototipos del nuevo caza, que sería designado XFD-1.

Los diseñadores de McDonnell, dirigidos por Kendall Perkins, recibieron tan sólo especificaciones muy genéricas de la Marina, lo que les dio gran libertad en sus decisiones. Eligieron un diseño lo más simple y conservador para un avión como les fue posible al objeto de minimizar los riesgos y facilitar la fabricación y mantenimiento del avión. El equipo de diseñadores de McDonnell trabajó con Westinghouse la instalación del motor considerándose varias configuraciones, para finalmente decidir instalar un motor en cada raíz alar.

El trabajo en los prototipos se inició en enero de 1944, realizando el primero de ellos su primer vuelo en 26 de enero de 1945, pilotado por el aviador de pruebas Woodward Burke. Este fue sólo un breve salto hacia adelante, ya que sólo se había instalado un motor. En realidad el primer prototipo bimotor voló unos días después. Al poco tiempo siguió el vuelo del segundo prototipo, que, junto al primero, pasaron con éxito las pruebas de la compañía y las primeras pruebas de la Marina. El 21 de julio de 1946, un XFD-1 comenzó las pruebas a bordo del USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, convirtiéndose en el primer reactor en despegar de un portaaviones.

La Marina ya había realizado un pedido de 100 aparatos de serie en marzo de 1945, que sería inicialmente designados FD-1. Sin embargo, el distintivo D se le había asignado tradicionalmente a Douglas. Al pedir el FH-1, la Marina no estaba recibiendo aviones de Douglas, pero aún así se decidió no alterar la designación usual y fue cambiada a FH-1. El primer avión de serie voló por vez primera el 28 de octubre de 1946 y las primeras entregas a la Marina se realizaron en 1947.

El FH-1 Phantom era un monoplaza de líneas limpias y deportivas con una configuración convencional, fabricado en su mayor parte de aluminio, con alas rectas y montadas en la parte inferior del fuselaje, que llevaban motores en las raíces. También llevaba los estabilizadores montados en la cola por encima del fuselaje, carlinga sobreelevada y un tren de aterrizaje de tipo triciclo. Las alas podían plegarse hacia arriba por fuera del tren principal y llevaban alerones y flaps divididos, con aerofreno formado por un panel sólido tipo spoiler en la parte superior del ala por fuera del pliegue de la misma. El ensamblaje de cola no resultaba inusual al estar dotada de timones de profundidad y timón. Tanto las alas como las superficies de cola poseían un diedro notable.

Los motores era turborreactores Westinghouse J30-WE-20 de 7.1 kN (725 kgp.) de empuje, con los escapes inclinados ligeramente hacia afuera para proteger el fuselaje trasero. Podían emplearse dos cohetes de ayuda al despegue (JATO) para despegues con más potencia si era necesario. La capacidad interna de combustible era de 1.420 litros.

El piloto poseía un amplio campo de visión a través de la cubierta, que se deslizaba hacía detrás para abrirse sobre el eje del avión. El piloto no poseía asiento eyectable, aunque la cubierta podía desecharse en caso de emergencia para facilitar la salida del avión. Todas las patas del tren de aterrizaje tenían una sola rueda. La rueda del morro se plegaba hacia detrás y el engranaje principal se articulaba en las alas y se retraía hacia dentro. La configuración del tren le daba al Phantom gran anchura, haciéndolo muy estable en tierra. Llevaba también un único gancho de apontaje bajo la cola.

Su armamento se componía de cuatro ametralladoras M2 Browning de 12’7 mm. en la parte superior del morro, con 325 disparos por arma. Llevaba así mismo ocho lanzadores de cohetes de gran velocidad (HVAR) de 127 mm., si bien estas armas rara vez se empleaban. Se le podía dotar de un depósito de combustible ventral adaptado con una capacidad de 1.117 litros.

Los FH-1 de serie se diferenciaban de los prototipos XFD-1 por ser 48 cm. más largos debido a su mayor carga de combustible. Su aleta de cola era cuadrada en su parte superior, en lugar de redondeada como en los prototipos y poseía planos de cola más pequeños. En servicio, los FH-1 iban en general pintados de azul marino oscuro, el esquema de color típico de la Marina por entonces.

Sólo se llegaron a fabricar 60 FH-1, ya que el final de la guerra anuló la urgencia de disponer de reactores de caza, y aunque el Phantom era aparentemente muy agradable de volar, no tenía suficiente potencia y no era mucho más veloz que los cazas con motores de pistones. También tenía mucha menos autonomía.

El Phantom sirvió en una escuadrilla de la Marina y dos de los Marines. Los Marines crearon una de las primeras unidades de demostración a reacción, denominada Flying Leathernecks, cuyos aviones iban pintados de amarillo brillante en sus morros y puntas para actuar en festivales aéreos. La Marina también creó su propio equipo de tres pilotos, los Gray Angels, cuyos miembros eran todos almirantes. Todos los FH-1 Phantom estaba ya fuera de servicio en primera línea a finales de 1949, siendo sustituidos por el McDonnell Banshee. Los Phantom pasaron a la Reserva Naval, donde hicieron un buen papel entrenando a sus miembros en el pilotaje de reactores hasta su retiro final del servicio en 1954.

Aunque el FH-1 Phantom tuvo un corto servicio activo, sirvió para familiarizar a la Marina y a los Marines con las operaciones de reactores a bordo de portaaviones. A inicios de la década de los años 60 una compañía basada en Florida compró tres Phantom desmilitarizados para entrenar a pilotos comerciales, pero la empresa no tuvo éxito. Unos pocos FH-1 están expuestos en museos pero ninguno de ellos vuela ya.



The McDonnell Aircraft Corporation was founded in Saint Louis, Missouri in 1939 by James McDonnell. By 1940 the company was busy building subassemblies for other aircraft manufacturers as the US geared up for war, but McDonnell engineers were also able to come up with a design for a heavy long-range fighter with twin piston engines for submission to the US Army Air Corps. After some design iterations, the Army was interested enough to order two prototypes. Work on the aircraft was protracted, with the Army nearly canceling the effort, but the first XP-67, called the Bat or Moonbat, finally took to the air on 6 January 1944, with test pilot E.E. Elliot at the controls.

The Moonbat, as its name hints, was an unusual aircraft, featuring what would later be called “blended wing-body” features (the wing merging smoothly into the fuselage to maximize lift), giving it something of a 1940s retro sci-fi appearance. It had a span of 16.76 meters (55 feet), a length of 13.65 meters (44 feet 9 inches), and an empty weight of 8,050 kilograms (17,745 pounds). The XP-67 was powered by twin Continental XI-1430 12-cylinder inverted-vee water-cooled engines with General Electric D-23 turbochargers and thrust-augmenting exhausts, each engine providing 1,010 kW (1,350 HP) for take-off. An engine was fitted into a streamlined nacelle in each wing, with the engines driving four-bladed propellers.

The aircraft was fitted with tricycle landing gear, all gear assemblies featuring single wheels and all retracting backward, the main gear tucking up into the engine nacelles. The production aircraft was to have cabin pressurization and armament of six 37-millimeter cannon, with the guns mounted in wings inboard of the engines (though the prototype was unpressurized and unarmed).

The Continental engines didn’t deliver rated power and proved temperamental, often forcing test flights (including the first one) to be cut short, and on 6 September 1944 Elliot was forced to get back on the runway in a hurry when an engine caught fire. The aircraft was badly burned. By that time, everyone had become discouraged over the problems with the engines, and there was no longer a real perceived military need for the XP-67 anyway. The program was canceled in October, the second prototype never being completed.

McDonnell engineers might have had reason to be depressed over the failure of the XP-67 program, but by that time they were busy enough on another, even more advanced fighter to keep them from brooding. In 1942, the US Naval Bureau of Aeronautics requested that McDonnell design a jet interceptor to operate from aircraft carriers, and in early 1943, the Navy awarded a contract for two prototypes of the new fighter, to be designated XFD-1.

McDonnell’s design team, led by Kendall Perkins, was given only the most general specifications from the Navy, giving the engineers considerable freedom in their decisions. They chose to design as simple and conservative an aircraft as possible, to minimize risk as well as ease manufacture and maintenance. The McDonnell design team worked with Westinghouse on powerplant fit, considering various configurations, finally settling on an engine installed in each wing root.

Work on the prototypes began in January 1944, the first prototype flying on 26 January 1945 with test pilot Woodward Burke at the controls. This was just a brief hop, since only one engine had been installed; the first twin-engine flight took place a few days later. The second prototype followed it into the air soon after, with the two machines successfully passing company and initial Navy trials. On 21 July 1946, an XFD-1 began carrier trials on the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, making it the first US jet aircraft to operate off a carrier.

The Navy had already placed a production order, for 100 aircraft, in March 1945, to be initially designated FD-1. However, the D code had traditionally been assigned to Douglas aircraft; when the Phantom was ordered the Navy was not obtaining any Douglas machines, but that changed, and so the designation of the Phantom was altered to FH-1. The initial production machine performed its first flight on 28 October 1946, with first deliveries to the Navy in 1947.

The FH-1 Phantom was a neat, sporty single-seat aircraft of conventional configuration, built mostly of aircraft aluminum, with low-mounted straight wings featuring an engine in each wingroot; a tail assembly with the tailplane mounted at the base of the tailplane above the fuselage; a raised cockpit; and tricycle landing gear. The wing folded straight up outboard of the main landing gear, and featured ailerons and split flaps, with a solid-panel spoiler-type airbrake on the top of the wing outboard of the wing fold. The tail assembly was nothing unusual, featuring elevators and rudder; the wing and tailplane had noticeable dihedral.

The engines were Westinghouse J30-WE-20 turbojets with 7.1 kN (725 kgp./1,600 lbf.) thrust each, with the exhausts canted slightly outward to protect the rear fuselage. Two jet-assisted take-off (JATO) rocket bottles could be attached for boosted take-offs if desired. Internal fuel supply was 1,420 liters (375 US gallons).

The pilot had a good field of view, with the canopy sliding back over the spine of the aircraft to open; the pilot did not have an ejection seat, though the canopy could be discarded in an emergency to make escape easier. All landing gear assemblies had single wheels, with the nose wheel retracting backward, the main gear hinged in the wings and retracting inward. The landing gear configuration gave the Phantom a wide ground track, making it stable in ground handling. There was a stinger-type arresting hook under the tail.

Armament consisted of four 12.7-millimeter (0.50-caliber) M2 Browning machine guns on the top side of the nose, with 325 rounds of ammunition per gun. There were also stub launchers under the wings for eight 127-millimeter (5-inch) HVAR (High Velocity Air Rocket) projectiles, though rockets were rarely carried. A conformal belly fuel tank with a capacity of 1,117 liters (295 US gallons) could be attached.

Production FH-1s differed from the XFD-1 prototypes in being 48 centimeters (19 inches) longer to provide more fuel capacity; having a tailfin with a squared-off top, instead of the round-top tailfin of the prototypes; and being fitted with a smaller tailplane. In service, the FH-1s were generally painted in overall dark sea blue, the typical USN color scheme for the time.

Only 60 FH-1s were actually built, since the end of the war ended any urgency for obtaining jet fighters, and though the Phantom was apparently a very pleasant aircraft to fly it was also underpowered, not much faster than the best piston fighters. It also had much less range.

The Phantom served with one Navy and two Marine squadrons. The Marines formed up one of the very first jet flight demonstration teams, the Flying Leathernecks, with bright yellow nose and trim, for appearances at airshows. The Navy also formed up a three-man Phantom demonstration team, the Gray Angels, whose aircrew were all admirals. All FH-1 Phantoms were out of first-line service by the end of 1949, being replaced by the McDonnell Banshee. The Phantoms were passed on to Navy Reserve squadrons, where they put to good use converting Reserve pilots from piston fighters to jet fighters, up to the FH-1’s final retirement from military service in 1954.

Although the FH-1 Phantom had a short service life, it served a useful purpose in familiarizing the Navy and Marines with carrier jet operations. In the early 1960s, a Florida-based company bought up three demilitarized Phantoms for training commercial pilots on jet operation, but the venture was not a success. A few FH-1s remain on static display, but none are flying any longer.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

airvectors.net

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: