jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

Messerschmitt Bf 109

Caza alemán
German fighter


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(Bf 109G-6)
TECHNICAL DATA
(Bf 109G-6)
TIPO:Caza monoplaza. TYPE:Single-seat fighter.
TRIPULANTES:1 CREW:1
ENVERGADURA:9’92 m. SPAN:32.6 ft.
LONGITUD:9’02 m. LENGTH:29.7 ft.
ALTURA:2’59 m. HEIGHT:8.6 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:16’20 m². WING AREA:174.38 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:2.700 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:5,952 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor en V invertida Daimler-Benz DB 605 AM de 12 cilindros de 1.474 CV (1.100 kW). ENGINE:One 1,475-hp (1100-kW) Daimler-Benz DB 605 AM 12-cylinder inverted Vee piston engine.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Un cañón MK 108 de 30 mm. o bien MG 151 de 20 mm. con disparo a través del eje de la hélice.
  • Dos ametralladoras MG 131 de 13 mm. sobre el motor.
  • Dos cañones de 30 o 20 mm. bajo las alas en misiones especiales.
ARMAMENT:

  • One 30-mm MK 108 or 20-mm MG 151 cannon firing through propeller shaft.
  • Two 0.51-in (13-mm) MG 131 machine-guns above engine.
  • Two 30-mm or 20-mm cannon beneath the wings for special roles.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:620 km/h. MAX. SPEED:385 mph.
TECHO:11.550 m. CEILING:37,895 ft.
ALCANCE:600 km. RANGE:373 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:29 de mayo de 1935. FIRST FLIGHT:29 May 1935.
VERSIONES:36 (todos los modelos). VERSIONS:36 (all variants).
CONSTRUIDOS:35.000 (estimado, todos los modelos). BUILT:35,000 (estimated, all variants).

A mediados de los años 30 la formación de la Luftwaffe proporcionó el necesario ímpetu para una modernización considerable de los conceptos de caza y bombardero.Los cazas alemanes eran biplanos como en otros países, pero Willy Messerschmitt se encontraba ya muy por delante de tal diseño con su monoplano civil Bf 108, un avión muy avanzado para su época. Antes de probar este avión, Messerschmitt había comenzado a diseñar un caza monoplaza, el Messerschmitt Bf 109, a requerimiento de las autoridades militares, que habían solicitado un modelo para competir con otros diseños de Arado, Focke-Wulf y HeinkeI. Sólo el Heinkel He 112 se mostró un rival serio en las pruebas llevadas a cabo en octubre de 1935 y que supusieron un pedido de 10 prototipos del He 112 y del Bf 109.

Resulta irónico que el primer prototipo del Bf 109 y la versión de serie final (los fabricados en España) llevaran motores Rolls-Royce. El prototipo realizó su primer vuelo en Augsburgo en mayo de 1935 con un motor Rolls-Royce Kestrel de 695 CV (518 kW), pero el segundo, que le siguió cuatro meses después, llevaba un Junkers Jumo 210A de 610 CV (455 kW) con el que se había diseñado el avión. Los prototipos fueron probados con diversas combinaciones de armamento y los tres primeros se convirtieron en el modelo Bf 109A, mientras que los siguientes modelos fueron prototipos del Bf 109B, básicamente similares al primer pequeño lote que se entregó a la Luftwaffe en la primavera de 1937. Ya entonces comenzaron a aparecer subvariantes, como el Bf 109B-1 con motor Jumo 210D de 635 CV (474 kW) o el Bf 109B-2 con el Jumo 210E de 640 CV (477 kW) y hélice de metal Hamilton de paso variable fabricada con licencia. Este motor dio paso al Jumo 21OG de 670 CV (500 kW).

Los 109B-1 de serie se comenzaron a entregar a la JG 132 Richthofen, unidad de élite de la Luftwaffe, a inicios de 1937 y, al igual que otros aviones alemanes, recibieron su bautismo de fuego en la Guerra Civil Española al recibir la Legión Cóndor un lote de aparatos en la primavera de 1937 para sustituir a los biplanos Heinkel He 51. Los Messerschmitt se desenvolvieron bien, pero la propaganda alemana no deseaba publicitar su actuación en España. En su lugar, cinco Bf 109 fueron enviados al encuentro internacional de Zurich en el verano de 1937. En su participación en varias categorías el Bf 109 logró éxitos resonantes, ganando el concurso internacional del circuito de los Alpes, una carrera por equipos, una prueba de velocidad y una competición de trepada y picado. Ninguno de los Bf 109 era un aparato estándar y dos de ellos llevaban motores Daimler-Benz de 950 CV (70 kW) que por entonces estaban en fase de desarrollo y daban prestaciones notables. Uno de los 109 fue destruido en un aterrizaje forzoso sin consecuencias para su piloto, Ernst Udet.

En julio de 1938 Messerschmitt fue nombrado presidente y director general de la compañía Bayerische Flugzeugwerke que pronto fue conocida como Messerschmitt AG. Los nuevos diseños producidos desde ese momento llevarían la designación Me en lugar de Bf. El primero de ellos fue el Me 209, sin relación alguna con el Bf 109, que fue fabricado sólo para establecer una nueva marca mundial de velocidad, realizada en abril de 1939 con 755’13 km/h. Uno de los prototipos del Bf 109 había elevado la marca de un avión terrestre en noviembre de 1937 al conseguir 610’55 km/h. empleando un motor sobrealimentado DB 601 de 1.650 CV (1.230 kW). Mientras tanto las entregas de los Bf 109B de serie continuaban, siendo sustituidos gradualmente por el modelo Bf 109C-1 dotado de motor Jumo 210 Ga de 700 CV (522 kW) y dos ametralladoras adicionales en las alas. La producción se estaba acelerando al ser fabricados también por Arado, Erla, Focke-Wulf y Fieseler. En septiembre de 1938 se habían producido casi 600 unidades (incluidos los Bf 109C-2 dotados de ametralladora en el motor), si bien las entregas de la serie del Bf 109D con motor Daimler-Benz se retrasaron por la escasez de motores, lo cual requirió seguir fabricando los modelos dotados de motor Jumo. El primer cliente extranjero fue Suiza, que recibió 10 Bf 109C entre diciembre de 1938 y enero de 1939. El Bf 109D resultó un modelo de transición, ya que el motor DB 600 no era especialmente fiable y la producción de Daimler-Benz pasó al DB 601 que proporcionaba 1.050 CV (783-kW) al despegue. De esta manera el caza de Messerschmitt entró plenamente en fabricación a gran escala en 1939 como Bf 109E, modelo que entraría en combate en gran número durante la Batalla de Inglaterra al ser el único caza monomotor empleado por la Luftwaffe. El nuevo motor ofrecía una considerable ventaja sobre el DB 600: poseía un sistema de inyección que mantenía un flujo contínuo en condiciones de gravedad negativa, permitiendo a los pilotos romper el combate a voluntad y picar más rápido que los cazas enemigos dotados de carburadores de flotador. Esta característica demostraría ser crucial en la batalla que se avecinaba.

La producción de los Bf 109E comenzó a salir de las líneas de ensamblaje a comienzos de 1939 cuando Arado y Focke-Wulf se estaban dedicando ya a otros programas, dejando el grueso de la producción a cargo de Erla y Fieseler, que fabricaron casi 1.400 en 1939. La línea de montaje de la propia Messerschmitt fue trasladada de Augsburgo a Ratisbona, por ello la compañía fabricó menos de 150 unidades a lo largo de 1939. Sin embargo, la rápida producción de los dos subcontratistas fue posible gracias a que un gran número de fuselajes se encontraban ya terminados y a la espera de sus motores.

El modelo Bf 109E-1 (dos cañones alares MG FF y dos ametralladoras MG 17 en el fuselaje) se envió a España en febrero de 1939 para servir en la Legión Cóndor. Junto con los supervivientes de modelos precedentes fueron entregados al país tras el final de la Guerra Civil. Los contratos suizos de 80 aparatos fueron cumplidos entre abril de 1939 y abril de 1940.

Al iniciarse la Segunda Guerra Mundial el 1 de septiembre de 1939 con el ataque alemán contra Polonia, la Luftwaffe poseía más de 1.000 Bf 109 y la tasa de fabricación era de 140 unidades al mes aunque, sorprendentemente, esta cifra bajó en casi un 10% en los restantes meses del año. La producción media mensual en 1940 se incrementó un poco hasta los 156 aviones, ya que los alemanes consideraron que la guerra estaba prácticamente terminada al rendirse Francia y se decidió no incrementar la producción de cazas.

Desde el inicio se habían probado varias combinaciones de armamento en el Bf 109, aprovechándose el eje hueco de la hélice en la serie del Bf 109D para diseñar el montaje de un cañón de 20 mm. Las pruebas delataron problemas de vibración y en la mayoría de los casos no se montó el motor cañón. Pruebas similares con el Bf 109E demostraron que el problema aún persistía, por ello el armamento de serie de este modelo fue de dos cañones alares de 20 mm. y dos ametralladoras de 7’92 mm. en el capó motor que disparaban a través de la hélice.

Varios modelos derivados del E entraron en servicio, algunos como versiones tropicales para la campaña del Norte de África, mientras otros recibieron modificaciones para admitir hasta 250 kg. de bombas. Acaso el modelo más raro fue el Bf 109T, resultado de una versión propuesta para operar a bordo del portaaviones Graf Zeppelin que se estaba construyendo. El buque finalmente no llegó a terminarse y a los 60 Bf 109T fabricados por Fieseler se les retiró su equipo naval. La mayor superficie alar de este modelo lo hacía especialmente adecuado para operar desde pistas cortas y pasaron a servir en Noruega y después en Heligoland.

Un cambio importante en el diseño realizado a finales de 1940 condujo a la aparición del Bf 109F-1. Se fabricaron cuatro prototipos y 10 aviones de preserie para admitir el motor DB 601E de 1.350 CV (1.007 kW), pero el suministro del mismo llevaba al menos un año de retraso y los primeros lotes del Bf 109F emplearon el DB 601N. Se decidió descartar el armamento alar en favor de las dos ametralladoras MG 17 de 7’92 mm. en el capó y un cañón Mauser que disparaba a través del eje de la hélice. Los problemas de vibración anteriores se habían solucionado y el primer modelo en montar el cañón Mauser fue el Bf 109F-2 que poseía un cañón de 15 mm. El Bf 109F-3 tenía una configuración similar en su armamento pero llevaba un motor DB 601E, sin embargo el Bf 109F-4 llevaba un Mauser de 20 mm. Los modelos Bf 109F-5 y Bf 109F-6 fueron la variante, armada y desarmada respectivamente, de reconocimiento.

En 1941 apareció un rival para Messerschmitt, el Focke-Wulf Fw 190, fabricado no sólo por esta compañía sino también por Arado y Ago, que anteriormente habían fabricado el Bf 109. Fieseler había abandonado el programa, dejando sólo a Messerschmitt, Erla y WNF (Austria) la producción del 109. Muchas otras variantes y subvariantes aparecieron antes de que terminase la producción del Bf 109F, que llegó a alcanzar más de 2.000 unidades. El último modelo producido en gran número fue el Bf 109G, que comenzó a llegar en 1942.

Con un motor DB 605A de 1.475 CV (1.100-kW), el Bf 109G-1 tenía carlinga presurizada, mientras que el modelo Bf 109G-2 era parecido pero sin presurización. Este último tenía un sistema de inyección de óxido nitroso GM-1 que le daba mayor potencia en alta cota, si bien se consideraba este sistema inferior a la sobrealimentación.

Los distintos modelos llevaron diferentes combinaciones de armamento. Por ejemplo, el Bf 109G1/Trop empleado en el Norte de África tenía dos ametralladoras de 13 mm. que disparaban a través de la hélice más un motor cañón de 20 mm., pero el Bf 109G-6 llevaba un motor cañón Rheinmetall-Borsig MK 108 de 30 mm., un arma letal dotada de 60 proyectiles de la que se decía que con un solo proyectil tenía suficiente para derribar a un caza.

La producción del Messerschmitt Bf 109 llegó casi a las 2.700 unidades en 1942 y su fabricación se inició también en Hungría a partir de 1943, terminándose unos 600. Se realizaron experimentos con varios Bf 109G-6 en misiones de caza nocturno, pero las condiciones invernales las hacían peligrosas. Pese al enorme bombardeo Aliado la fabricación en Alemania llegó a los 14.000 aviones y aunque no existen cifras definitivas de la producción total, se estima que se fabricaron unos 35.000, una cifra sólo inferior a la del Ilyushin Ir-2/Ir-10 del que se dice haber alcanzado las 42.330 unidades. Aunque el Bf 109G fue la versión más prolífica, deben mencionarse algunos modelos finales.

El Bf 109H fue un caza de alta cota con carlinga presurizada y motor DB 605A con sistema de potencia GM-1 que le hacía alcanzar un techo de 14.480 m. Poseía alas y cola de mayor superficie y se llegaron a construir varios aviones para evaluación, pero no llegó a fabricarse en serie. La designación Bf 109J la llevó una versión con licencia del Bf 109G-2 que se pretendía fabricar en España por la empresa Hispano, pero no llegó a volar hasta 1947. El Bf 109K fue la última versión alemana de serie, en realidad un modelo mejorado del Bf 109G del que se diferenciaba en detalles. Su motor era un DB 605 de 2.000 CV (1.492 kW) y sus variantes fueron tantas como indica la última fabricada, Bf 109K-14.



In the mid-1930s the build-up of the Luftwaffe provided the necessary impetus for considerable updating of both fighter and bomber concepts. German fighter aircraft were then,like those in most other countries, of biplane configuration, but Willy Messerschmitt was already well forward with the design of the Bf 108 touring monoplane, an extremely advanced aircraft for its time. Before it flew, he had also begun to design a single-seat fighter to meet the military requirement, and prototypes of this, the Messerschmitt Bf 109, were ordered to compete with other designs by Arado, Focke-Wulf and HeinkeI. Only the Heinkel He 112 provided any serious competition in trials carried out during October 1935, resulting in orders being placed for 10 prototypes of the He 112 and Bf 109.

It is ironic that the first prototype Bf 109 and final production version (those built in Spain) were powered by Rolls-Royce engines. The prototype flew at Augsburg in May 1935 with a 695-hp. (518-kW) Rolls-Royce Kestrel engine, but the second which followed four months later had the 610-hp. (455-kW) Junkers Jumo 210A for which the aircraft had been designed. The prototypes had various combinations of armament and the first three became Bf 109A aircraft, while later models were prototypes for the Bf 109B, basically similar to the first small batch of aircraft which was delivered to the Luftwaffe in the spring of 1937. Already subvariants were beginning to appear, the Bf 109B-1 having a 635-hp. (474-kW) Jumo 210D engine and the Bf 109B-2 a 640-hp. (477-kW) Jumo 210E with licence-built Hamilton variable-pitch metal propeller. The latter engine soon gave way to the 670·hp. (500kW) Jumo 21OG.

Production 109B-1s began to be delivered to the Luftwaffe‘s top fighter unit, JG 132 Richthofen, in early 1937 and, like several other German types, the Bf 109 was blooded in the Spanish Civil War when the Legion Condor received a batch in the spring of 1937 to replace Heinkel He 51 biplanes. The Messerschmitts acquitted themselves well, but the German propaganda ministry did not wish to publicise their involvement with Spain. Instead, five Bf 109s were sent to an international flying meeting at Zurich in the summer of 1937. Competing in the various events the Bf 109 scored resounding successes, winning the international circuit of the Alps contest, a team race, speed event and a climb and dive competition. Not one of the Bf 109s was standard, two being fitted with 950-hp. (70 kW) Daimler-Benz engines which were then in the development stage and conferred a considerably higher performance. One of the Bf 109s was destroyed in a forced landing following engine failure during the meeting, fortunately without injury to the pilot Ernst Udet.

In July 1938 Messerschmitt was appointed chairman and managing director of the Bayerische Flugzeugwerke and the company name was changed to Messerschmitt AG; new designs undertaken from that point had Me instead of Bf designations. The first of these was the Me 209, which bore no relationship to the Bf 109 but was built purely to establish a new world air speed record, which it did in April 1939 at 469.22 mph. (755.13 km/h.). One of the prototype Bf 109s had previously raised the landplane record in November 1937 to 379.38 mph. (610.55 km/h.) using a boosted DB 601 engine giving 1,650 hp. (1230 kW). Meanwhile, production deliveries of Bf 109Bs continued, gradually being supplanted by Bf 109C-1 aircraft with the 700-hp. (522-kW) Jumo 210 Ga engine and two extra wing-mounted machine-guns. Output was being stepped up, and the fighters were also being built by Arado, Erla, Focke-Wulf and Fieseler. By September 1938, almost 600 aircraft had been built (including the Bf 109C-2 with engine-mounted machine-gun), although deliveries of the Bf 109D series with the Daimler-Benz powerplant were delayed by a hold-up in the supply of engines, which necessitated keeping the earlier Jumo-powered models in production. First export customer was Switzerland, which received 10 Bf 109Cs between December 1938 and January 1939. The Bf 109D turned out to be a stop-gap model, since its DB 600 engine was not particularly reliable, and Daimler-Benz production was switched to the DB 601 which gave 1,050-hp. (783-kW) for take off. In this form the Messerschmitt fighter entered large scale production in 1939 as the Bf 109E, the variant which was to see action in large numbers during the Battle of Britain as the Luftwaffe‘s only single-engine fighter engaged in the conflict. The new engine offered one considerable advantage over the DB 600: it had a fuel injection system which kept a constant fuel flow under conditions of negative-g, enabling pilots to break off combat if they chose and dive away faster than their opponents with float carburettors; this feature was to prove crucial in the forthcoming battle.

Production Bf 109Es were coming off the assembly lines in early 1939, by which time Arado and Focke-Wulf had been transferred to other programmes, leaving the bulk of production to Erla and Fieseler who built nearly 1,400 in 1939;· Messerschmitt’s own production line had meanwhile been transferred from Augsburg to Regensburg, and the changeover meant that less than 150 aircraft were completed during 1939. Nevertheless, rapid production by the two sub-contractors had been possible since a number of airframes had been available, merely awaiting new engines.

A delivery of the Bf 109E-1 variant (two wing-mounted MG FF cannon and two fuselage-mounted MG 17 machine-guns) was made to Spain in February 1939 for service with the Legion Condor and these together with the survivors of earlier marks, were transferred to Spanish ownership following the end of the civil war. Swiss contracts for 80 aircraft were met between April 1939 and April 1940.

When World War II began on 1 September 1939 with the German attack on Poland, the Luftwaffe had more than 1,000 Bf 109s and the production rate was nearly 140 per month although, surprisingly, this declined by almost 10 per cent over the remaining months of the year. Average monthly production in 1940 increased slightly to around 156 aircraft; since the German considered that the war was virtually over when France collapsed little was done to improve fighter production.

Various combinations of armament had been tried on the Bf 109 since its inception, and the hollow propeller shaft of the Bf 109D series had been designed to take a 20-mm cannon. Tests showed vibration problems and in most cases the engine-mounted cannon was not fitted; similar tests with the Bf 109E showed that the problem still existed and the standard armament of this series was two 20-mm. wing cannon and two 7.92-mm. (0.31-in.) machine-guns in the fuselage above the engine, firing through the propeller arc.

A number of sub-variants entered service, including some tropical versions for the North African campaign, while others included modifications to enable around 551 lb. (250 kg.) of bombs to be carried. Perhaps the most unusual variant was the Bf 109T, the result of a proposal for a version to be operated from the aircraft-carrier Graf Zeppelin which was under construction. In the event the carrier was never completed, and the 60 Bf 109Ts built by Fieseler had their carrier equipment removed. An increase in wing area made this variant particularly suitable for operation from short strips and they served ultimately in Norway and later from Heligoland.

A major airframe redesign led in late 1940 to the appearance of the Bf 109F-1. Four prototypes and 10 pre-production aircraft were built with the 1,350-hp. (1007-kW) DB 601E engine in mind, but supplies of this were at least a year late and the first batches of Bf 109Fs to be completed used the DB 601N. It was decided to abandon wing guns in favour of a combination of the two fuselage-mounted 7.92-mm. (0.31-in.) MG 17 machine-guns and a Mauser cannon firing through the propeller shaft. Earlier vibration problems with this had been cleared, and the first variant to mount the Mauser was the Bf 109F-2 which had a 15-mm. cannon; the Bf 109F-3 was similarly fitted while having the DB 601E engine, but the Bf 109F-4 had a 20-mm. Mauser. The Bf 109F-5 and Bf 109F-6 were armed and unarmed reconnaissance variants.

By 1941 the Messerschmitt had a rival; the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 was in production not only by its parent company but also by Arado and Ago, both of whom had previously built Bf 109s. Fieseler had also left the programme, leaving only Messerschmitt, Erla and WNF (Austria) building Bf 109s. As development of the Bf 109F series continued, so the weight went up. Many variants and sub-variants appeared before production of the Bf 109F ceased after more than 2,000 had been built, and the final major production model was the Bf 109G, deliveries of which began in 1942.

Powered by a 1,475-hp. (1,100-kW) DB 605A engine, the Bf 109G-1 had a pressurized cabin, while the Bf 109G-2 was similar but unpressurized. The former had a GM-1 nitrous oxide injection system which gave a considerable boost to its power at high altitude, but generally this was considered inferior to supercharging.

Various combinations of armament were carried by the different variants; for instance, the Bf 109G1/Trop used in North Africa had two 13-mm. (0.51-in.) machine-guns firing through the propeller arc plus the engine-mounted 20-mm. cannon, but some of the Bf 109G-6 had a 30-mm. Rheinmetall-Borsig MK 108 motor cannon, a lethal weapon with 60 rounds of ammunition as one round was said to be enough to destroy a fighter.

Messerschmitt Bf 109 production in 1942 reached almost 2,700, and manufacture was undertaken in Hungary from 1943, around 600 being built. Experiments were undertaken with Bf 109G-6s in the night-fighter role, but winter conditions made the operations extremely hazardous. In spite of heavy Allied bombing, Bf 109 production in Germany in 1944 reached almost 14,000, and although no complete figures exist on total production it is estimated that some 35,000 were built, a figure second only to the Ilyushin Ir-2/Ir-10 series, which are reported to have reached 42,330. While the Bf 109G was the most prolific version, a few later models should be mentioned.

The Bf 109H was a high-altitude fighter which had a pressurized cockpit, and a DB 605A engine with GM-1 power boosting which gave a ceiling of 47,505 ft. (14,480 m.). Enlarged wing and tail surfaces were fitted and several aircraft were built for evaluation but the type did not enter series production. The designation Bf 109J had been allocated to a licence-built version of the Bf 109G-2 which it was proposed should be built in Spain by Hispano, but this did not fly until 1947. The Bf 109K was the final German production version, being basically improved models of the Bf 109G series from which they differed in detail. The powerplant was the 2,000-hp. (1492-kW) DB 605, and variants were as extensive as the ultimate Bf 109K-14 designation would indicate.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

David Mondey, The Hamlyn Concise Guide to Axis Aircraft of World War II, Chancellor Press, 1996.

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: