jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

RWD-8

Entrenador polaco
Polish trainer

 

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Entrenador biplaza. TYPE:Two-seat trainer.
TRIPULANTES:2 CREW:2
ENVERGADURA:11 m. SPAN:36.1 ft.
LONGITUD:8 m. LENGTH:26.3 ft.
ALTURA:2´3 m. HEIGHT:7.7 ft.
SUPERFICIE ALAR:20 m². WING AREA:220 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:480 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:1,058 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor en línea de 4 cilindros invertidos PZ Inż. Junior de 110 hp. (82 kW) o bien 120 hp. (89 kW) con hélice bipala Szomański de paso fijo. ENGINE:One PZ Inż. Junior 4-cyl inverted air-cooled piston engine developing 110 hp. (82 kW) or 120 hp. (89 kW) driving a two-bladed Szomański fixed pitch propeller.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:175 km/h. MAX. SPEED:109 mph.
TECHO:5.000 m. CEILING:16,000 ft.
ALCANCE:435 km. RANGE:270 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:1933. FIRST FLIGHT:1933.
VERSIONES:3 VERSIONS:3
CONSTRUIDOS:Más de 550. BUILT:Over 550.

El entrenador y avión de enlace RWD-8 fue el avión polaco más popular anterior a la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Fue empleado tanto por aeroclubes como por escuelas de pilotos civiles y militares. También fue el aparato básico de enlace del Ejército Polaco. El papel de este avión estuvo condicionado por el hecho de que todos los pilotos militares se entrenaban en él y por el haber batido una marca de producción, sólo superada en 1980 por el PZL-104 Wilga.

Durante los años 20 los entrenadores empleados en Polonia no siempre cumplían los requisitos de la función a la que estaban destinados. El proyecto inicial del RWD-8 fue desarrollado por un equipo liderado por el ingeniero Stanisław Wigura a finales de 1931. Fue su último proyecto antes de su fallecimiento en un accidente en septiembre de 1932. La configuración parasol cumplía los requisitos de un entrenador y permitía la visibilidad del suelo durante el aterrizaje. Las alas recibieron una ligera inclinación hacia detrás y su parte central un pequeño entrante. Este sistema fue probablemente copiado del entrenador francés Morane MS.230.

A inicios de los años 30, la L.O.P.P. (Liga Obrony Powietrznej i Przeciwgazowej, Liga para la Defensa Aérea y Química, organización paramilitar que reunía a entusiastas de la aviación y la aerostación) anunció los requisitos para la fabricación de un nuevo entrenador. Tomando como base estos requisitos, en el invierno de 1931-32 el Departamento de Aeronáutica anunció una competición para elegir dicho avión, a la que se presentaron tres proyectos: un diseño modificado del biplano PZL-5 bis, un biplano Bartel BM-4h y el RWD-8.

Dado que una de las condiciones del concurso era que el aparato ocupase el menor espacio en los hangares, DWL presentó su avión con alas plegables. Para conseguir mayor durabilidad del sistema de control, no se emplearon discos o segmentos en los que pudiesen desgastarse los cables. En su lugar los cables iban fijados por secciones rectas a los enganches. El avión poseía también grandes cualidades al tomar tierra, conseguidas mediante el uso de una estructura en el fuselaje típica de los RWD. La línea superior del fuselaje era horizontal, mientras que las dos líneas longitudinales inferiores eran paralelas sólo en la zona de la carlinga. Esto permitía aterrizar con grandes ángulos de ataque y tocar tierra simultáneamente con el tren de aterrizaje y con el patín de cola. Los grandes alerones hacían posible el vuelo a baja velocidad. El tren de aterrizaje estaba bien amortiguado y aseguraba los aterrizajes a gran velocidad.

El diseño de la estructura se creó en 1932, desarrollado por Wigura, Drzewiecki y Rogalski. Tras la muerta de Wigura en el otoño de 1932, los talleres de la Sección de Aviación de los KMSPW (Koła Mechaników Studentów Politechniki Warszawskiej, Círculos de Estudiantes de Mecánica de la Universidad Técnica de Varsovia) comenzaron la fabricación de dos prototipos del RWD-8. Estos habían sido solicitados por el Departamento de Aeronáutica a finales de 1931. El contrato número 190/31 estipulaba que dichos aparatos estarían terminados en el otoño de 1932 con un intervalo de dos meses. El vuelo del primer prototipo se realizó a inicios de 1933. El avión fue pilotado por Drzewiecki en la localidad de Okęcie. El prototipo recibió el número de serie 61 y posteriormente la matrícula SP-AKL. Llevaba un motor Gipsy III en línea y su tren de aterrizaje poseía amortiguadores óleo-neumáticos sin carenas. El segundo prototipo llevaba el número 63 y la matrícula SP-AKN. Su motor era un Cirrus Hermes II en línea y amortiguadores de caucho con carenas. El 24 y 25 de mayo de 1933, el piloto Adam Szarek realizó el primer vuelo en público durante el 2º Encuentro Internacional Aéreo celebrado en Varsovia. Ambos prototipos tenían timones más altos que los de los aviones de serie y cuerda alar fija con actuadores en la parte superior de los alerones. Estos alerones no resultaron eficientes en los dos prototipos.

La fabricación de tres RWD-8 se inició en 1933. Se les dio los números de fábrica 64 (SP-ALB), 65 (SP-ALD) y 66 (SP-ALO). El último de ellos poseía un depósito de carburante adicional para incrementar su autonomía. Tras su terminación, el equipo de fabricantes reparó en que el motivo de las dificultades en el pilotaje era la inclinación de las superficies de sustentación en relación con la dirección de vuelo. En ese momento, estas superficies estaban diseñadas como en el Bartel 37a, al igual que se había hecho con el RWD-5, cuyos alerones eran plenamente operativos. Por ello se rediseñaron dichos alerones perpendiculares a la dirección de vuelo. Los cinco RWD-8 fabricados recibieron cierta escora en sus puntas alares, pero seguían reaccionando con lentitud con los nuevos alerones.

A solicitud del Departamento de Aeronáutica se instaló en el primer prototipo el motor Walter Junior y estribos para facilitar el acceso a la carlinga por la izquierda. Los demás aviones tenían el acceso por la parte derecha. Modificado en esta forma, el RWD-8 tomó parte en la competición para seleccionar un avión para el ejército. Tras las pruebas realizadas en el Instituto de Investigación Técnica de Aviación (IBTL) de Varsovia, el RWD-8 resultó ganador, principalmente debido a sus excelentes características de manejo.

La aviación militar polaca tenía gran necesidad de aviones escuela que había que satisfacer a corto plazo. Aunque el RWD-8 ganó la competición, la capacidad de la compañía DWL era muy limitada. Por ello, se decidió que la producción del nuevo avión sería trasladada a la planta de PWS (Fábrica de Aviones de Biała Podlaska) en Biała Podlaska. Por entonces la compañía había sido nacionalizada y tenía gran capacidad de producir aviones. DWL cedió los derechos del RWD-8 al Ejército a cambio de que este costease los gastos en los prototipos.

En PWS, el equipo supervisado por el ingeniero Antoni Uszacki adaptó la documentación recibida de DWL a las necesidades de producción, realizando algunas modificaciones. Se instaló una barra metálica bajo el motor para prevenir el daño en caso de capotaje. La parte superior del fuselaje situada entre los dos puestos de pilotaje se fabricó desmontable, lo que permitía conseguir una carlinga abierta (probablemente copiada del Hanriot H-28). A petición del Ejército no se instalaron amortiguadores carenados, lo que acortaba el recorrido de las tomas a costa de una mejor aerodinámica. Curiosamente, fue PWS el fabricante que introdujo la tolerancia necesaria para hacer piezas intercambiables. En DWL las piezas eran singulares en su posición y se fabricaban individualmente, lo que en términos militares era inaceptable.

Los pilotos de prueba comprobaron que el avión poseía diferentes características de vuelo a las de los prototipos. Era inestable y le faltaba fuerza en los controles, ya que la palanca no volvía a la posición neutra, pero este fallo pudo solventarse posteriormente. El primer lote de RWD-8 para el ejército se fabricó en el verano de 1934. Componían el lote un total de 30 aparatos designados RWD-8 pws, que recibieron la numeración militar 34-2 a 34-31. La producción de motores para el RWD-8 comenzó en 1934 en la fábrica PZInż Ursus de Czechowice, próxima a Varsovia, con licencia de la compañía checoeslovaca Walter. En noviembre de 1934 el Centro de Entrenamiento Aéreo de Oficiales de Dęblin ya poseía 26 aviones de este modelo.

DWL también había comenzado ya la producción en Okecie de aparatos con amortiguadores de caucho y el motor de fabricación nacional PZInż. El modelo (RWD-8 dwl) estaba destinado solo a clubes de vuelo y clientes extranjeros.

El RWD-8 no tuvo un gran éxito de ventas en el extranjero. Ya en 1934, DWL vendió la licencia de fabricación a la firma yugoeslava Rogožarski. En dicho país se fabricó una versión con motor de 7 cilindros Walter NZ-120 y un avión llegó a montar incluso un motor radial de fabricación nacional.

En 1936 DWL vendió un avión a España que tomó parte en la Guerra Civil Española. También se vendieron tres unidades a Palestina. El 25 de junio de 1936, la organización independentista judía Haganag solicitó un aparato y en 1937 otros dos. Inicialmente fueron empleados en Afiqim, al norte de Israel, principalmente como entrenadores.

En 1934 el capitán K. Kalina realizó varias exhibiciones en Brasil, pero las conversaciones para la adquisición de 15 aviones no tuvieron resultados. No hay evidencias de la venta de un avión a Marruecos. Se vendió una licencia a Estonia, pero solo se llegó a fabricar un avión. También Checoeslovaquia adquirió una licencia, si bien la producción no llegó a iniciarse.

La mayor parte de los RWD-8 fabricados fueron aparatos civiles, empleados como entrenadores y en la aviación deportiva. El avión debía su popularidad a los anteriores éxitos del RWD-6 y RWD-9 en competiciones internacionales celebradas en 1932 y 1934. Hasta 1937 se fabricaron 1.000 aviones y el número de centros de entrenamiento llegó al centenar.

El RWD-8 llegó relativamente pronto a la aviación militar, ya que los primeros ejemplares fueron suministrados tras el comienzo de la producción. Las primeras unidades del RWD-8 pws de la primera serie fueron destinados a las escuelas de vuelo de Dęblin, Bydgoszcz y Krosno. En 1935-36 ya estaban integrados en todas las academias de vuelo.

Tras la invasión alemana de Polonia en 1939, varios RWD-8 fueron capturados. Dos RWD-8 pws fueron probados por la Luftwaffe en Mielec en 1940. Los RWD-8s evacuados a Lituania fueron usados por la aviación del país. En diciembre de 1939 el gobierno polaco en Francia acordó el empleo de 26 RWD-8 por pilotos lituanos. De acuerdo con fuentes lituanas, el 20 de mayo de 1940, Lituania poseía 20 aviones aún operativos. Tras la ocupación rusa del país, los soviéticos sólo emplearon algunos y almacenaron el resto. Los alemanes también emplearon alrededor de 10 aviones tras la invasión en agosto de 1941.

Se fabricaron algunas variantes del RWD-8. El sexto avión recibió la instalación de un motor radial PZSkoda G-594, probándose el modelo en mayo de 1934. El aparato se quedó en el aeroclub de Varsovia en Okęcie y no se realizaron más pruebas para fabricar una versión con motor radial. En 1933 se probó una versión de remolcador de planeadores dotada de una estructura tubular de acero tras el fuselaje para sujetar la cuerda de arrastre. Esta versión fue empleada por la Fuerza Aérea Polaca y aeroclubes civiles hasta el estallido de la guerra.

La versión RWD-8a se fabricó como modelo de mayor autonomía. Algunos RWD-8 dwl se fabricaron con un depósito adicional de 15 litros de combustible montado en la carlinga que incrementaba su autonomía en unos 100 kms. A partir de 1936 PWS también fabricó este modelo con depósito de 95 litros, que permitía recorrer hasta 1.000 kms. En total se fabricaron 50 unidades de este modelo.

La versión para saltos en paracaídas se produjo en 1938 con la instalación de un banco para saltos y barandillas en la parte externa del fuselaje de estribor que facilitaba la salida de la carlinga. El cableado de dirección del fuselaje fue cubierto para impedir que se rompiese accidentalmente en el salto.

Comisionado por el Ministerio de Transporte, el ingeniero A. Uszacki diseñó una versión nocturna con generador y batería que suministraban energía a las luces de posición y de aterrizaje. También tenía tablero de indicadores con luz en la carlinga.  El Ministerio adquirió 50 aviones de este modelo. Por último, la versión de entrenador de vuelos sin visibilidad se creó en 1938 a solicitud el Ejército. PWS diseñó la modificación que supuso la instalación de persianas de celuloide en el puesto delantero de la carlinga.



The RWD-8 trainer and liaison aircraft was the most popular Polish plane before WWII. It was used both in aeroclubs, civil schools, and in military schools. It was also the basic liaison aircraft of the Polish Army. The role of this aircraft was determined by the fact that every military pilot trained on it, and the aircraft itself broke a production record, beaten only in 1980 by the PZL-104 Wilga.

During the 1920s, the training aircraft used in Poland did not always meet the tasks set before them. The initial RWD-8 project was developed by a team led by Eng. Stanisław Wigura at the end of 1931, as his last project before his death in an accident in September 1932. The high wing configuration fulfilled the requirements for a trainer aircraft and enabled visibility of the ground during landing. The wings received a slight slant backwards, and the middle part received a small notch. This system was probably taken from the Morane MS.230 school planes.

In the early 1930s the L.O.P.P. (Liga Obrony Powietrznej i Przeciwgazowej, Air and Chemical Defense League, a paramilitary organization gathering enthusiasts of aircraft, communications and ballooning) announced the requirements for a school plane. Based on these requirements at the turn of 1931/32, the Department of Aeronautics announced a competition for a school plane. Three projects were submitted for the competition: a modified design of a biplane PZL-5 bis, a biplane Bartel BM-4h and the high-wing RWD-8.

As one of the competition requirements was that the aircraft took as little space as possible in hangars, DWL made it possible to fold the wings. In order to achieve high durability of the control system, no discs or segments on which the cables were worn were used. The cables were fastened with straight sections to the jacks. The plane also had great landing properties, which were achieved using the fuselage structure typical of RWD aircraft. The upper fuselage line was horizontal, while the two lower longitudinal lines were parallel only in the cockpit section of the fuselage. This enabled landing at large angles of attack and touched the landing field simultaneously with the front landing gear as well as the tail skid. The large surface area of ​​the airfoil enabled flight at low speeds. The undercarriage was very well cushioned and allowed to land at high speed.

The structural design was created in 1932, developed by Wigura, Drzewiecki and Rogalski. After the death of Wigura in the autumn of 1932, the workshops of the Aviation Section of KMSPW (Koła Mechaników Studentów Politechniki Warszawskiej, Student Mechanics Circles of the Warsaw University of Technology) began construction of two prototypes of the RWD-8 aircraft. The prototypes were ordered at the end of 1931 by the Aeronautics Department. Contract number 190/31 provided that both prototypes would be ready in autumn 1932, with an interval of two months. The first prototype flight took place at the beginning of 1933. The aircraft was piloted by Drzewiecki at Okęcie. The RWD-8 prototype was given the serial number 61 and later the registration marks of SP-AKL. The machine was powered by a Gipsy III engine and the undercarriage was equipped with oil-pneumatic shock absorbers without fairing. The second prototype RWD-8 was given the serial number 63 and the registration mark SP-AKN. The aircraft was powered by a Cirrus Hermes II engine. In addition, shock absorbers were changed to rubber, with profiled fairing. On May 24-25, 1933, the pilot Adam Szarek made the first public flight during the 2nd International Air Meeting in Warsaw. Characteristically for both prototypes, they had rudders higher than serial production, and fixed chord wings with hinges on the upper surface of the airfoil. As it turned out, the ailerons in the prototypes were not very effective.

The construction of three consecutive RWD-8 aircraft began in 1933. They were given factory numbers 64 (SP-ALB), 65 (SP-ALD) and 66 (SP-ALO). The last machine had an additional canopy fuel tank to increase the range of the flight. After completion, the construction team realized that the reasons for poor control were slanted piles in relation to the direction of flight. At that time, the airfoil was designed with the Bartel 37a profile, just like in the RWD-5, whose ailerons were very effective. At the same time, the ailerons were profiled perpendicular to the direction of flight. The five existing RWD-8s listed the tip of the wings. As it turned out, planes were still lazily reacting to new ailerons.

At the request of the Aeronautics Department, the Walter Junior engine and steps to facilitate access to the cabin from the left side were installed in the first RWD-8 prototype. Other aircraft had steps to the right of the hull. So modified, the RWD-8 entered the competition for a military aircraft for the army. After tests at the Institute of Aviation Technical Research (IBTL) in Warsaw, the RWD-8 was the winner of the competition mainly due to the aircraft´s excellent handling characteristics.

Polish military aviation had great needs as far as school airplanes were concerned, which had to be immediately met. Although the RWD-8 won the competition, the DWL production capacity was very limited. Therefore, it was decided that the production of the new aircraft would be transferred to the Podlasie Aircraft Factory (PWS) in Biała Podlaska. At that time, the factory was already nationalized and had a very large amount of spare production capacity. DWL granted the license rights of the RWD-8 to the army in exchange for covering prototype work.

In PWS, the team under the supervision of Eng. Antoni Uszacki adapted the documentation received from LWD to the production needs. Some modifications were made. A metal beard protruded at the bottom before the engine was mounted to the engine bed. This was to prevent damage to the engine in case of overturning. The top of the fuselage hull between the crew cockpits was made removeable, which made it possible to obtain a shared cockpit (probably copied from the Hanriot H-28). At the army’s request no protected shock absorbers were installed and this allowed to shorten the approach to landing at the expense of aerodynamic properties. Interestingly, it was only at PWS that the tolerance of parts dimensions was introduced, which allowed them to be interchangeable. In DWL, the parts were matched individually, which was unacceptable under military conditions.

Test pilots found that the aircraft had different flight properties from the reference prototype. It was unstable and lacking strength on the controls, the rod did not return to the neutral position, but this flaw could later be solved. The first batch of RWD-8 for the army was produced in the summer of 1934. In this first series there were a total of 30 machines marked as RWD-8 pws, which received military numbers from 34-2 to 34-31. The production of engines for the RWD-8 started in 1934 in PZInż Ursus at Czechowice, near Warsaw, based on a license purchased from the Czechoslovak Walter company. In November 1934, the Aviation Officers Training Center in Dęblin already had 26 RWD-8 pws.

DWL at Okecie had also started the production of the RWD-8 with rubber shock absorbers and driven by the PZInż domestic engine. The type (RWD-8 dwl) only went to flying clubs or foreign customers.

The RWD-8 did not become a Polish export hit. Already in 1934, DWL sold the license for the construction of RWD-8 to the Yugoslavian company Rogožarski. Interestingly, in Yugoslavia a small series of RWD-8 was produced in a version with a 7-cylinder Walter NZ-120 engine and one aircraft also had a Yugoslavian radial engine.

In 1936, DWL sold one machine to Spain. Three DWL machines were also sold to Palestine. In June 25, 1936, the Jewish independence organization Haganag ordered one RWD-8, and then in 1937 two more. RWD-8 were initially used in Afiqim in the north of Israel, mainly as training airplanes.

In 1934, Cpt. K. Kalina held a series of air shows in Brazil but talks about the purchase of 15 planes ended in a fiasco. There is also no evidence for the sale of a machine to Morocco. A license to Estonia was also sold, but only one aircraft was produced there. The license was also purchased by Czechoslovakia, which, however, did not start production.

Most of the manufactured RWD-8 machines were in civil aviation. They served for training and sport purposes. The plane owed its popularity to the earlier successes of RWD-6 and RWD-9 aircraft in the international Challenge competitions held in 1932 and 1934. Until 1937, 1,000 units were produced and the number of training centers increased to 100.

RWD-8 hit military aviation relatively early, as the first pieces were sent to units immediately after the start of production at PWS. It is known that airplanes RWD-8 pws from the first series were in pilot schools in Dęblin, Bydgoszcz and Krosno. In 1935-36, they were in all military schools.

After the German invasion of Poland in 1939, several RWD-8s were captured. Two RWD-8 pws were tested by the Luftwaffe at Mielec in 1940. RWD-8s evacuated to Latvia were used by the Latvian aviation. In December 1939, the Polish Government in France agreed the use of 26 RWD-8 aircraft for training Latvian pilots. According to Latvian sources on May 20, 1940, Latvia had 20 machines that were still operational. The training lasted until the occupation of Latvia by the Red Army, which only made use of some of them and grounded the rest. When the Germans occupied Latvia, in August 1941, also captured and used around 10 aircraft.

Several variants were also built. A PZSkoda G-594 radial engine was installed in the sixth RWD-8 and the aircraft was tested in May 1934. The aircraft remained in at the Aero Club of Warsaw in Okęcie and no further tests were carried to build a radial engine version. A towing version was tested in 1933 with a steel structure installed behind the fuselage for the tow rope. This version was used by the Polish Air Force and civil aeroclubs until the outbreak of the war.

The RWD-8a was built as a version with extended range. Some RWD-8 dwl machines initially had an additional 15-liter fuel tank mounted in a canopy. It increased the range by 100 km. From 1936, PWS produced this variant with a 95-liter tank. This increased the range to 1,000 km. In total, 50 RWD-8as were built.

The parachute version was built in 1938 by installing a bench for jumps and handrails on the outside of the starboard fuselage to facilitate the exit from the cockpit. The steering cable running along the fuselage was covered so that it would not be accidentally broken during the jump.

Under the commission of the Ministry of Transport, Eng. A. Uszacki designed a night version with a generator, a battery and position and landing lights supplied by them. They also had a lighted dashboard in the cabin. The Ministry procured 50 aircraft of this variant. Finally, the training version for blind flights was created in 1938 at the request of the army. PWS designed this modification with celluloid blinds installed on the front cockpit.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

dobroni.pl

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: