jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

Short S.25 Sunderland

Hidroavión británico
British flying boat


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(Sunderland Mk III)
TECHNICAL DATA
(Sunderland Mk III)
TIPO:Hidrocanoa de reconocimiento marítimo y bombardeo. TYPE:Maritime reconnaissance and bomber flying boat.
TRIPULANTES:9-11 CREW:9-11
ENVERGADURA:34’39 m. SPAN:112.9 ft.
LONGITUD:26 m. LENGTH:85.4 ft.
ALTURA:10 m. HEIGHT:32.10 ft.
SUPERFICIE:138 m². WING AREA:1,487 ft².
PESO EN VACÍO:15.663 kg. EMPTY WEIGHT:34,500 lb.
MOTOR:Cuatro motores radiales Bristol Pegasus XVIII de 9 cilindros y 1.065 hp. (794 kW) cada uno. ENGINE:Four Bristol Pegasus XVIII 9-cylinder radial engine, 1,065 hp (794 kW) each.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Dieciséis ametralladoras Browning de 7’7 mm.
  • Dos ametralladoras Browning de 12’7 mm.
  • Varios tipos de minas, cargas de profundidad y bombas transportadas bajo las alas.

ARMAMENT:

  • Sixteen 0.303 inch (7.7 mm.) Browning machine guns.
  • Two Browning 0.5 inch (12.7 mm) machine guns.
  • Mines, depth charges and bombs carried under the wings.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:336 km/h. a 2.000 m.
MAX. SPEED:210 mph. at 6,500 ft.
TECHO:4.880 m. CEILING:16,000 ft.
ALCANCE:2.848 km. RANGE:1,780 ml.
PRIMER VUELO:16 de octubre de 1937. FIRST FLIGHT:16 October 1937.
VERSIONES:6 VERSIONS:6
CONSTRUIDOS:749 (todos los modelos). BUILT:749 (all versions).

A partir de los hidrocanoas Empire (clase C) con los que Imperial Airways había logrado establecer muchas de sus rutas comerciales de larga distancia durante los años 30, Short Brothers desarrolló su hidroavión militar de reconocimiento S.25 de acuerdo a la Especificación R.2/33 del Ministerio del Aire, revisada en marzo de 1936 como Especificación R.22/36 que solicitaba un pedido inicial de 21 Sunderland. El prototipo hizo su primer vuelo en el río Medway en Rochester el 16 de octubre de 1937 dotado de torretas eléctricas en el morro y cola, las primeras instaladas en un hidroavión británico.Se fabricaron 90 Sunderland I con motor Bristol Pegasus XXII de 1.010 hp. (753 kW) y ametralladoras Vickers ‘K’ de 7.7 mm. a cada lado del fuselaje, que complementaban a otras dos Brownings del mismo calibre en la torre de proa y cuatro más a cola. El Sunderland II, introducido en agosto de 1941, poseía una torreta eléctrica dorsal en lugar del armamento lateral del fuselaje. Se fabricaron 23 en Rochester, 15 por Short Brothers en la factoría Harland de Belfast y 5 subcontratados a Blackburn Aircraft en Dumbarton, que ya había fabricado 15 Mk I.A los Sunderland iniciales se les instaló un radar Aire-Superficie (ASV) Mk II, identificable por cuatro mástiles verticales que se alzaban sobre el casco y por dos filas de cuatro antenas emisorasa a cada lado del fuselaje. Este equipo también se les instaló a los Mk III, cuyo primer ejemplar voló por vez primera el 15 de diciembre de 1941. Seguía teniendo los motores Pegasus XVIII de 1.065 hp. (794 kW) del Mk II, pero la quilla poseía un diseño diferente, escalonada en su parte delantera. Se fabricó un total de 456 aparatos, de los cuales 71 fueron terminados en Belfast, 35 en la fábrica Short de Windermere, 170 a cargo de Blackburn y el resto en Rochester.

El Sunderland IV, desarrollado a partir de la Especificación R.8/42, que solicitaba un avión más potente y mejor armado para operar en el Pacífico, tuvo dos prototipos con motores Bristol Hercules, pero esta versión era tan diferente, que se convirtió en otro avión denominado Seaford, así la última versión de serie del Sunderland fue el Mk V.

El Sunderland V, introducido en marzo de 1944 llevaba radiales Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp de 1.200 hp. (895 kW) que solucionaban el problema de desgaste de los motores, ya que los Pegasus debían mantenerse contínuamente a su máxima potencia. El radar ASV Mk IVC, ya instalado en los últimos Mk III de serie, se instaló en los Mk V, con los escáneres situados en burbujas por fuera de los tensores de los flotadores de las alas. El total de Mk V producidos fue de 150, 47 en Belfast, 43 en Rochester y 60 en Dumbarton. Algunos Mk III fueron también convertidos en Mk V posteriormente.

La primera escuadrilla operativa dotada de Sunderland fue la Nº 230 con base en Seletar (Singapur). Las primeras entregas se realizaron en junio de 1938 y fueron llevadas a cabo por la Escuadrilla Nº 210 con base en Pembroke Dock, terminándose los envíos en diciembre. Destinado a Koggola (Ceilán) en febrero de 1940, la escuadrilla operó desde bases en el Norte de África, Egipto, y África Oriental antes de regresar al Lejano Oriente en mayo de 1945 para volver a su antigua base en Seletar el 1 de diciembre.

En Gran Bretaña la Escuadrilla Nº 228 cambió sus Supermarine Stranraer por Sunderland en noviembre de 1938 en Pembroke Dock, uniéndose a la Nº 210 como una de las tres unidades de Sunderland del país. La tercera fue la Nº 204, que sustituyó sus Saro London in junio de 1939 en Mount Batten (Plymouth). El 31 de enero de 1940 el Mando Costero registró su primer hundimiento de un U-Boote cuando un Sunderland de la Escuadrilla Nº 228 avistó y echó a pique al U-55. Poco más de dos meses después, el 3 de abril, un Sunderland demostró su gran capacidad defensiva a los alemanes, que lo apodaban Puercoespín Volante, al rechazar un ataque de seis Junkers Ju 88, destruyendo uno, obligando a otro a aterrizar en Noruega y ahuyentando a los otros cuatro.

Otras escuadrillas con base en el Reino Unido fueron la Nº 119, 201 y 246, mientras que las unidades de la Commonwealth que operaron desde Gran Bretaña fueron las Escuadrillas Nº 10 y 461 de la Real Fuerza Aérea Australiana, la primera había recibido sus primeros Sunderland en Pembroke Dock el 11 de septiembre de 1939 y la última se formó en Mount Batten el 25 de abril de 1942. Las Escuadrillas Nº 422 y 423 de la Real Fuerza Aérea Canadiense estuvieron también equipadas con Sunderland, en principio en Oban, desde diciembre y julio de 1942 respectivamente. La Escuadrilla Nº 330, creada en Oban en febrero de 1943 estaba compuesta por personal noruego y posteriormente fue trasladada a Sullom Voe.

En marzo de 1941 la Escuadrilla Nº 95 fue transferida a Freetown (Sierra Leona) para volar sus Sunderland en el Atlántico Sur. A ella se unió la Nº 204 de Bathurst (Gambia) en agosto de 1941, la Nº 270 de Apapa (Nigeria) en diciembre de 1943 y la Nº 490 neozelandesa de Jui (Sierra Leona) en mayo de 1944. En Dakar la Aéronavale Flottille 7E se convirtió en la Escuadrilla Nº 343 de la RAF en noviembre de 1943 y fue equipada con Sunderland.

Los Sunderland compartieron misiones de patrulla sobre el Océano Índico con los Consolidated Catalina y Consolidated Liberator integrados en la Escuadrilla Nº 230 con base en Dar es Salaam a partir de enero de 1943. La Nº 209 fue otra unidad destacada en África Oriental que recibió sus Sunderland en Kpevu (Kenya) en febrero de 1945, trasladándose a Koggala (Ceilán) en julio de 1945 y uniéndose a la Nº 205 que había sustituido los Sunderland por Catalinas el mes anterior y reemplazaba a su vez a la Nº 230 que se había trasladado a Akyab (Birmania). Al final de la guerra en Asia la Escuadrilla Nº 230 estaba en Hedhills Lake (Madrás, India) junto a la Nº 240 que se había creado allí el 1 de julio de 1945. Tras la guerra el número de Sunderland se redujo y en junio de 1948, al iniciarse el Puente Aéreo de Berlín, sólo quedaban disponibles la Escuadrilla Nº 201 y 230 además de la Nº 235 de la Unidad de Conversión Operativa. Entre junio y diciembre sus aparatos transportaron casi 4.877 toneladas de cargamento de Hamburgo a Havel See en Berlín. Todas las operaciones de los Sunderland con base en el Reino Unido terminaron con la disolución de las Escuadrillas Nº 201 y 230 el 28 de febrero de 1957. En el Lejano Oriente el Sunderland no se dio de baja hasta 1959.



From the Empire (C class) flying boats with which Imperial Airways had estabhshed many of their long-distance commercial air routes during the 1930s, Short Brothers developed their S.25 military general reconnaissance flying boat to Air Ministry Specification R.2/33, revised in March 1936 as Specification R.22/36 to cover an initial production order for 21 Sunderlands. The prototype was flown from the River Medway at Rochester, on 16 October 1937, its power-operated nose and tail turrets being the first fitted to a British flying boat.A total of 90 Sunderland Is was built, with 1,010-hp (753-kW) Bristol Pegasus XXII engines, and with one 0.303-in (7.7-mm) Vickers ‘K’ gun in each of two beam positions, supplementing the two 0.303-in Brownings in the nose turret and four similar weapons in the tail. The Sunderland II, introduced in August 1941, had a power-operated dorsal turret in place of the beam guns. Twenty-three were built at Rochester, 15 at Short Brothers and Harland’s Belfast factory, and five under sub-contract by Blackburn Aircraft at Dumbarton, the last-named companv having previously built 15 Mk Is.

Air-to-Surface Vessel (ASV) Mk II radar was fitted to early Sunderlands, identified by the four vertical masts rising from the top of the hull and by the two rows of four transmitting loops on each side of the fuselage. The equipment was also fitted to the Mk III, of which the first production example flew on 15 December 1941. It retained the 1,065-hp (794-kW) Pegasus XVIII engines of the Mk II, but featured a revised planning bottom, with a shallow forward step. Mk III production totalled 456 aircraft, of which 71 were built at Belfast, 35 at the Short factory at Windermere, 170 by Blackburn and the rest at Rochester.

The Sunderland IV, evolved to meet the requirements of Specification R.8/42 for a more powerful, more heavily armed flying boat for operation in the Pacific theatre, resulted in two Bristol Hercules-powered prototypes, but this version differed to the extent that it was virtually a different aeroplane and was thus renamed Seaford, so that the last production version was the Mk V.

Introduced in March 1944, the Sunderland V was powered by four 1,200-hp (895-kW) Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp radial engines, introduced to overcome the problem of engine wear which had resulted from the need to run the Pegasus engines almost continuously at full power. ASV Mk IVC radar, introduced on late production Mk Ills, was standard equipment for the Mk V, the scanners being located in blisters outboard of the outer float bracing wires under the wings. Construction of the Mk V totalled 150, with 47 built at Belfast, 43 at Rochester and 60 at Dumbarton. A number of Mk Ills were later converted to Mk V standard.

The first operational Sunderland squadron was No. 230, then based at Seletar, Singapore, with Short Singapores. Initial deliveries were made in June 1938, the aircraft being ferried out by No. 210 Squadron from Pembroke Dock, and re-equipment was completed in December. Withdrawn to Koggola, Ceylon, in February 1940, the squadron operated from bases in North Africa, Egypt and East Africa before returning to the Far East in May 1945, finally taking up residence at its old home base at Seletar on 1 December.

At home, No. 228 Squadron gave up its Supermarine Stranraers for Sunderlands in November 1938 at Pembroke Dock, joining No. 210 Squadron as one of three home-based RAF Sunderland squadrons that were operational when war broke out. The third was No. 204, which replaced its Saro Londons in June 1939 at Mount Batten, Plymouth. Coastal Command’s first U-boat kill was recorded on 31 January 1940, when a Sunderland of No. 228 Squadron sighted U-55. which was promptly scuttled. A little over two months later, on 3 April, a Sunderland demonstrated its remarkable defensive power to the Germans, to whom it became known as the Flying Porcupine, when it beat off an attack by six Junkers Ju 88s, destroying one, forcing another to land in Norway, and driving off the remaining four.

Other squadrons based in the UK included Nos. 119, 201 and 246, while Commonwealth units operating in Britain included Nos. 10 and 461 Squadrons, Royal Australian Air Force, the former having received its first Sunderland at Pembroke Dock on 11 September 1939, while the latter was formed at Mount Batten on 25 April 1942. Nos. 422 and 423 Squadrons Royal Canadian Air Force were equipped with Sunderlands, initially at Oban, from December and July 1942 respectively. Formed at Oban in February 1943, No. 330 Squadron was a Norwegian-manned Sunderland unit, later based at Sullom Voe.

In March 1941 No. 95 Squadron moved to Freetown, Sierra Leone, to operate its Sunderlands over the South Atlantic, in which theatre it was joined by No. 204 at Bathurst, the Gambia, in August 1941; by No. 270 at Apapa, Nigeria, in December 1943: and by No. 490 Squadron, Royal New Zealand Air Force at Jui, Sierra Leone, in May 1944. At Dakar Aéronavale Flottille 7E became No. 343 Squadron, Royal Air Force, in November 1943, and was re-equipped with Sunderlands.

Over the Indian Ocean Sunderlands shared patrol duties with Consolidated Catalinas and Consolidated Liberators, flying with No. 230 Squadron from Dar es Salaam in January 1943. No. 209 Squadron was another East African-based unit which converted to Sunderlands at Kpevu, Kenya, in February 1945, moving to Koggala, Ceylon in July 1945, these joining No. 205 which had converted from Catalinas the previous month, and replacing No. 230 which had moved on to Akyab, Burma. VJ-Day found No. 230 Squadron at Hedhills Lake, Madras, together with No. 240 Squadron which had formed there on 1 July 1945. After the war had ended the Sunderland force was run down, and by June 1948, when the Berlin Airlift started, only Nos. 201 and 230 Squadrons and No. 235 Operational Conversion Unit were available for use. Between June and December their aircraft carried almost 4,800 tons (4877 tonnes) of freight from Hamburg to Berlin’s Havel See. All British-based Sunderland operations ceased with the disbandment of Nos. 201 and 230 Squadrons on 28 February 1957. In the Far East the Sunderland was not retired until 1959.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

David Mondey, Concise Guide to British Aircraft of World War II, Temple Press Aerospace, 1984.

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: