jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

AS42 Sahariana

Vehículo de reconocimiento italiano
Italian reconnaissance vehicle

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Vehículo de reconocimiento. TYPE:Reconnaissance vehicle
TRIPULANTES:4-6 CREW:4-6
ANCHURA:2´26 m. WIDTH:7.5 ft.
LONGITUD:5´62 m. LENGTH:18.5 ft.
ALTURA:1´80 m. HEIGHT:5.10 ft.
PESO:4.500 kg. WEIGHT:9,900 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor de gasolina Fiat SPA ABM 2 de 6 cilindros y 88 hp. ENGINE:One 88hp. Fiat SPA ABM 2 6 cylinder petrol engine.
AUTONOMÍA:300 km. (1.500 km. con bidones de repusto). RANGE:186 ml. (932 ml. with spare jerrycans).
ARMAMENTO:

  • Una o dos ametralladoras Breda modelo 37 de 8 mm.
  • Un cañón Breda modelo 35 de 20 mm.
  • Un rifle anticarro Solothurn S18/1000 de 20 mm.
  • Un cañón Breda 47/32 de 47 mm.
ARMAMENT:

  • One or two 8 mm. Breda model 37 machine-gun.
  • One 20 mm. Breda model 35 gun.
  • One 20 mm. Solothurn S18/1000 anti-tank rifle.
  • One 47 mm. Breda 47/32 gun.
BLINDAJE:5-17 mm. ARMOR:0.19-0.66 in.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera: 84 km/h.
  • Campo a través:50 km/h.
MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:52 mph.
  • Cross country:31 mph.
VERSIONES:2 VERSIONS:2
CONSTRUIDOS:140 AS.42 Sahariana y unos 50 AS.42 Metropolitana. BUILT:140 AS42 Sahariana and about 50 AS.42 Metropolitana.

El concepto del AS42 Sahariana apareció en la mente de los diseñadores italianos en 1942, cuando los famosos Grupos del Desierto de Largo Alcance (LRDG) británicos y de la Commonwealth, con sus distintivos vehículos fuertemente armados y sin blindaje, operaban muy por detrás de las líneas del Eje. creando estragos en las bases de aprovisionamiento o aeródromos. Al mismo tiempo, sus tareas de reconocimiento a gran escala eran muy valiosas para la inteligencia aliada. El Regio Esercito (Ejército Real Italiano) intentó emular estas unidades utilizando un proyecto que SPA-Viberti había propuesto un año antes basado en el chasis del vehículo blindado AB41, derivado a su vez del chasis del tractor de artillería mediano Fiat-SPA TM40.

El AS42 Sahariana era un automóvil de reconocimiento, inicialmente desarmado. Sin embargo, bajo la presión del alto mando del Ejército Real italiano, los vehículos recibieron armamento pesado. El SPA-Viberti AS42 se desarrolló rápidamente a principios de 1942. El prototipo se presentó al ejército el 9 de julio de 1942, pasó todas las pruebas y se puso en producción en la fábrica de SPA-Viberti en Turín ya en agosto de 1942.

Básicamente, el chasis del AB41 se dejó intacto, pero el casco blindado se remodeló por completo y el vehículo adoptó la forma de un automóvil. El frente estaba inclinado y albergaba una enorme rueda de repuesto y herramientas. Se colocaron dos palas en el lado izquierdo del capó delantero y un pico en el lado trasero izquierdo. Los guardabarros fueron remodelados y los delanteros sostuvieron los trípodes para las ametralladoras. En la parte delantera de los guardabarros se guardaban dos bidones a cada lado para el transporte de agua potable, reconocibles por las cruces blancas pintadas en el lateral. Los guardabarros en la parte trasera tenían cajas de herramientas en la parte superior y dos placas de metal perforadas que se usaban para desatascar el vehículo en la arena. En la parte trasera del guardabarros derecho estaba el silenciador, mientras que en el guardabarros izquierdo había una placa con una luz de freno.

El compartimento de combate central abierto estaba blindado en los lados y tenía 3,2 m. de largo y 1,75 m. de ancho. El blindaje era de 17 mm. alrededor del chasis. El parabrisas tenía tres paneles de vidrio a prueba de balas derivados del vidrio para uso aeronáutico. Tenían 12 mm. de espesor, aunque su equivalente de acero era significativamente menor. El parabrisas estaba equipado con espejos retrovisores y se podía plegar. La altura libre al suelo era de 0´35 m, con posibilidad de vadear 0´7 m de agua.

El peso total disminuyó de las 7´5 toneladas de AB41 a 4 toneladas en un AS42 vacío. Completamente listo para el combate, con el armamento primario fijo, los tanques llenos y la carga de munición completa, el vehículo alcanzaba las 6´5 toneladas. Tenía tracción 4×4, pero solo se dirigían las ruedas delanteras (como en el chasis original del Fiat-SPA TM40) y por tanto se eliminó el puesto de conducción trasero, característico de la serie de vehículos blindados AB.

Los neumáticos utilizados en el AS42 fueron producidos por Pirelli en Milán, al igual que casi todos los neumáticos de los vehículos italianos. El AS utilizó los mismos neumáticos que la serie de vehículos blindados AB, los neumáticos Pirelli “Libia” 9,75 × 24 ″ y “Libia Rinforzato” para su uso en el suelo arenoso del norte de África. Los neumáticos “Artiglio” 9 × 24 ″ y “Artiglio a Sezione Maggiorata” 11,25 × 24 ″ diseñados para su uso en Italia y Europa se utilizaron más tarde en la estepa rusa. En 1942, se estudiaron nuevos neumáticos para la nueva Camionetta, que también podrían utilizarse en los vehículos blindados de la serie AB: neumáticos Pirelli “Sigillo Verde” nuevamente para suelos arenosos y neumáticos Pirelli “Raiflex” para uso en Europa. Cabe señalar que debido a la mala logística del Real Ejército Italiano y la logística casi inexistente del Esercito Nazionale Repubblicano (RSI), los vehículos blindados AB y Camionette utilizaron cualquier neumático disponible. Por lo tanto, no es raro encontrar vehículos blindados AB41 o AB43 con neumáticos “Raiflex” y AS42 con neumáticos “Libia”.

Por diseño, se podría transportar un total de 20 bidones de combustible con una capacidad de 20 litros cada uno en dos filas de 5 a cada lado del compartimento de combate. En total, cada AS42 podía llevar 24 bidones, 4 de los cuales eran para agua. Sin embargo, debido a su uso en el norte de África, se transportaron muchos más bidones, apiñados en cualquier espacio libre para aumentar la autonomía del vehículo y de la tripulación. El AS42 estaba equipado con una lona. Proporcionaba cobertura de los elementos en la parte superior y trasera, pero no de los lados de la Camionette. También había una lona para cubrir el parabrisas y dos más pequeñas para las luces frontales. Cuando no se usaban, todas las lonas, incluidas las varillas plegables que las sostenían, se enrollaban y sujetaban con correas en la parte posterior del compartimento de combate.

El depósito de combustible de 145 litros permitía una autonomía de 535 km., que se incrementó hasta un total de 2.000 km. con los 400 litros adicionales transportados en bidones. El vehículo consumía alrededor de un litro de gasolina por cada 3´7 km. El compartimento trasero blindado no se modificó. Los 430 kg. del pesado motor FIAT-SPA ABM 2 de gasolina de 6 cilindros, idéntico al del AB41, daban 88 CV. El rendimiento del automóvil mejoró considerablemente, con una velocidad máxima en carretera de 84 km/h. y hasta 50 km/h. campo a través.

El tanque de combustible estaba ubicado sobre el motor, mientras que el tanque de aceite de 3 litros estaba a la izquierda del mismo. Había dos tanques de agua sobre el compartimiento del motor y uno en el mamparo de madera entre el compartimiento del motor y el compartimiento de combate. El blindaje en el exterior de este compartimento era de 5 mm. El agua de refrigeración del motor estaba contenida en un tanque de 32 litros sobre el motor en la parte delantera.

El gran volumen de la posición central abierta permitió el montaje de armamento considerablemente pesado. Dependiendo del arma, se colocó un pedestal diferente en el medio de esta posición central abierta, que, con diferentes puntos de sujeción, podía montar varias armas, incluida un cañón Breda 20/65 1935 antiaéreo/anticarro de fuego rápido, un cañón anticarro/infantería 47/32 Modelo 1935 o un rifle anticarro Solothurn S18-1000 de 20 mm., llamado Carabina “S” por los soldados italianos.

El armamento secundario consistía en ametralladoras Breda 38 o Breda 37 8×59 mm. Dependiendo de la misión, de una a tres de estas armas podían montarse en soportes colocados a la derecha del conductor y en los lados izquierdo y derecho de la parte trasera del compartimiento de combate.

En varias Camionette, el armamento secundario consistía en ametralladoras Vickers K británicas capturadas. Estas fueron utilizadas en vehículos LRDG a lo largo de la campaña del norte de África. Todas las monturas del armamento principal y secundario se podían girar 360°.

Las municiones se dejaron dentro de sus cajas esparcidas en el compartimiento de combate debido a la falta de estantes de municiones. Por esta razón, la cantidad de municiones puede variar de una misión a otra. Además del asiento del conductor, los miembros de la tripulación que manejaban las armas a bordo estaban sentados en asientos plegables a cada lado del compartimiento de combate (dos a la derecha y uno a la izquierda). En algunos casos, la tripulación estaba formada por cinco o seis miembros apiñados en el pequeño vehículo.

De septiembre a noviembre de 1942, el primer lote de 140 vehículos se entregó al Ejército Real. Este retraso fue causado por un bombardeo de la fábrica de SPA-Viberti en Turín durante las semanas anteriores que destruyó varios AS-42.

Las Saharianas que llegaron al norte de África se utilizaron para incursiones en el desierto, como se planeó originalmente. Su bajo perfil le permitía esconderse detrás de las dunas y esperar la llegada del enemigo sin ser visto. Su gran alcance le permitió perseguir a las fuerzas enemigas durante largos períodos y luchar contra los equipos LRDG de manera efectiva. Al entrar en servicio en diciembre de 1942, el AS42 participó en las etapas finales de la campaña libia y toda la campaña tunecina. Fueron asignados principalmente a los Batallones Auto-Avio-Saharianos (batallones italianos específicos destinados a una estrecha cooperación entre aviones y vehículos terrestres del ejército) y al 103 ° Battaglione y Raggruppamento Sahariano. Estas últimas se dividieron en cinco unidades ubicadas en diferentes posiciones. La 1ª Compañía estaba en Marada, la 2ª en Murzuk, la 3ª en Sebha y en Hon (o Hun), mientras que la 4ª y 5ª se enfrentaron al LRDG en el Oasis de Siwa y grupos franceses comandados por Philippe Leclerc estacionados en Chad.

Tenían una proporción de bajas enemigas reclamada de 1: 5, capturando docenas de vehículos británicos armados o de transporte. En 1943, el comando LRDG emitió una orden de ataque solo si no había un gran número de Camionetta AS42 en el área. Esto significó que los británicos necesitaban un reconocimiento aéreo antes de atacar, lo que redujo la efectividad del LRDG. Durante la Campaña de Túnez, todos los vehículos de los Batallones Auto-Avio-Saharianos y 103 ° Battaglione Sahariano se perdieron en acción junto con la mayoría de los Arditi. Los Arditi eran una unidad de élite del Real Ejército Italiano a la que se le había confiado el AS42. Lucharon valientemente contra las tropas aliadas que los habían rodeado.

El 26 de abril de 1942 se estableció el 10 ° Reggimento Arditi, dividido en tres compañías. Sus tropas estaban compuestas por soldados entrenados para las fuerzas especiales del Real Ejército Italiano, como zapadores, paracaidistas y nadadores. Fueron trasladados a este regimiento por distinguirse como excelentes conductores.

Las tres compañías estaban equipadas con 24 Camionette AS42 cada una (con un total de 72 vehículos), cada una dividida en cuatro grupos de patrulla con 2 oficiales y 18 o más soldados armados con rifles Carcano Mod. 91 T.S. o metralletas MAB 38A, pistolas Beretta M1934 y una daga.

Después de abril de 1943, todas las Compañías estuvieron activas en Sicilia como patrullas antiparacaidistas. Entre el 13 y el 14 de julio, la 2.ª Compañía rechazó un ataque de paracaidistas británicos. En la noche del 14 de julio, en Primosole, seis Camionette lucharon en el puente Primosole sobre el río Simeto. Los Arditi dispararon contra sus adversarios con armas personales sin usar las armas a bordo debido a la poca visibilidad. Cuatro AS42 fueron destruidos por proyectiles de mortero, pero los 32 Arditi supervivientes lucharon junto con un grupo de paracaidistas alemanes durante otros ocho días. El 13 de agosto, la Camionette superviviente y sus tripulaciones fueron trasladados a la península italiana y llevadas a Santa Severa (su Cuartel General) ubicada cerca de Roma para reorganizar las compañías, reemplazando a los Arditi caídos y los vehículos destruidos.

El 8 de septiembre, día del armisticio, las Compañías no participaron en la acción, pero los distintos grupos eligieron su destino de forma independiente. El 1er Batallón se unió a los Aliados y pasó a llamarse 9° Reparto d’Assalto. El 2º Batallón se incorporó a la nueva República de Salò fundada por Benito Mussolini en el norte de Italia el 23 de septiembre sin vehículos, finalizando en la División “San Marco”, combatiendo el resto de la guerra sin vehículos como infantería de asalto.

Después de intensos combates contra las tropas alemanas en Roma entre el 8 y el 10 de septiembre, los vehículos que fueron capturados por los fascistas italianos y alemanes fueron a equipar a toda una Compañía de Arditi que decidió unirse a los alemanes. Este sería el Gruppo Italiano Arditi Camionettisti que sirvió en la 2ª División Fallschirmjäger “Ramcke”. Esta unidad luchó en el Frente Oriental desde octubre de 1943 hasta el verano de 1944 contra el Ejército Rojo. Las Camionette, destinadas al desierto del Sahara, acabaron combatiendo en las heladas estepas rusas, donde las temperaturas alcanzaban los -25° C. Del resto de batallones del 10º Arditi, no se sabe mucho. Probablemente se separaron y cada soldado o grupo pequeño decidió por sí mismo lo que haría. Algunos se unieron a la resistencia partisana, otros se unieron a la República de Salò, otros se fueron al ejército italiano cobeligerante y otros huyeron a casa con sus familias.

La compañía que luchó con la División “Ramcke” luego se retiró a Rumania y finalmente a Alemania en la primavera de 1944. En junio de 1944, los Arditi fueron enviados a Normandía para luchar contra los Aliados que acababan de desembarcar. Allí, un grupo fue capturado por los estadounidenses durante la batalla y la rendición de Brest, mientras que otros Arditi con sus AS42 sobrevivientes lucharon en Bélgica y Holanda. Se enfrentaron a soldados británicos en Arnhem durante la Operación Market Garden. Después de todos estos hechos, en el otoño de 1944, los supervivientes regresaron con sus últimos AS42 a Italia y lucharon por la República de Salò en el Esercito Nazionale Repubblicano (ENR).

La Policía Italiana de África (Polizia dell’Africa Italiana, PAI), cuerpo de policía italiano utilizado para la seguridad de las colonias italianas, recibió algunos AS42 que fueron utilizados para tareas de patrullaje y seguridad en las ciudades italianas en 1943, tras la pérdida de todas las colonias italianas. Tras la caída del Real Ejército Italiano, el PAI se equipó con 15 AS42 de diferentes versiones procedentes del Battaglione D’assalto Motorizzato del Real Ejército Italiano. A continuación, se asignó a la PAI la tarea de realizar tareas de seguridad pública. El 23 de marzo de 1943, algunos de estos camiones AS42, con elementos del Batallón “Barbarigo” de la Xª Flottiglia MAS, participaron en patrullas tras el ataque partisano en Via Rasella en el centro de Roma. El 4 de junio de 1944, durante la defensa de Roma, una de las Camionette del PAI, armada con un Breda 20/65 Mod. 1935, se cruzó accidentalmente con un M4 Sherman en la Via Nazionale y fue alcanzado por un proyectil de 75 mm. que atravesó la parte delantera del Camionetta, destruyendo la parte delantera y la rueda de repuesto de este vehículo.

Después de la captura aliada de la capital italiana, la PAI entregó todo su equipo a la Policía del Estado. Entre los vehículos entregados se encontraban 12 Camionette de las versiones Metropolitana y Sahariana (con neumáticos “Artiglio” y “Libia”).

Otro cuerpo italiano que utilizó el AS42 fue el Battaglione “Barbarigo” de la Xª Flottiglia MAS, que tenía una veintena de AS42 Metropolitane y AS43 sacados directamente de las fábricas. Fueron utilizados en el área de Nettuno contra las fuerzas estadounidenses y canadienses que intentaron romper las líneas italianas, infligiendo grandes pérdidas.

Un par de AS42 Metropolitane se construyeron en las fábricas de Turín a partir del 25 de abril de 1945 para defender las fábricas y sus líneas de montaje del sabotaje alemán. Estas Camionette se distinguen de las demás por unas placas de acero a los lados y en la parte trasera del compartimento de combate, de aproximadamente un metro de altura, detrás de las cuales los partisanos usaban sus armas mientras estaban protegidos del fuego enemigo. Uno de estos vehículos participó en el desfile partisano el 6 de mayo de 1945 junto con otro Metropolitana sin ninguno de estos cambios que fue utilizado como vehículo de mando y luego desarmado.

Siete AS42 que sobrevivieron a la guerra fueron utilizados por los departamentos de policía italianos y repintados en rojo amaranto (color de la policía italiana de posguerra). Fueron empleados, después de varias modificaciones, incluida la eliminación de los cañones antitanques, las herramientas y los bidones, por diferentes departamentos de la Policía Estatal Italiana en Udine y Bolonia hasta 1954. Algunos fueron puestos en servicio en el XI Reparto Mobile. (Sección Móvil) en Emilia Romagna hasta 1954. Estos vehículos fueron apoyados por vehículos blindados AB41, AB43 y Lancia Lince. Se produjo un número desconocido de AS42 para la policía después de la guerra y se entregaron en enero de 1946.

Un segundo modelo, llamado ‘Sahariana II’ o ‘Tipo II’, más comúnmente, ‘Metropolitana’, entró en servicio en Italia en 1943. Se diferenciaba del primer modelo por la ausencia de las dos filas superiores de tanques de gasolina, reemplazadas por dos cajas grandes que contenían municiones. Con los 14 bidones restantes (4 para agua y 10 para combustible), la autonomía máxima se redujo a unos 1.300 km. Estos bidones casi nunca se transportaron porque no había distancias tan largas en el continente y el peligro que representaba transportar tanto combustible durante los combates urbanos.

También se retiraron las dos placas perforadas para desatascar el vehículo, ya que ahora eran inútiles. Se agregaron dos grandes cajas para herramientas en la parte superior de los dos guardabarros traseros. Además, esta versión fue equipada con nuevos neumáticos Pirelli “Artiglio”, “Sigillo Verde” y “Raiflex” de 11,5 × 24 ″ adaptados al terreno continental y clima templado. La versión “Metropolitane” parece no haber estado armada con rifles anticarro Solothurn S18/1000. Estas Camionette solo iban armadas con los cañones anticarro de 47 mm. y Breda 20 mm. de fuego rápido.



The concept behind the AS42 Sahariana appeared in the minds of Italian designers in 1942, when the famous British and Commonwealth Long Range Desert Groups (LRDG), with their distinctive heavily-armed and unarmored long-range vehicles, were breaking far behind Axis lines, creating havoc in refilling bases or airfields. At the same time, their large-scale reconnaissance tasks were very valuable to Allied intelligence. The Regio Esercito (Italian Royal Army) tried to emulate these units by using a project that SPA-Viberti had proposed a year before based on the chassis of the AB41 armored car, itself derived from the chassis of the Fiat-SPA TM40 medium artillery tractor.

The AS42 Sahariana was a reconnaissance car, initially unarmed. However, under pressure from the Italian Royal Army’s high command, the vehicles received heavy armament. The SPA-Viberti AS42 was rapidly developed at the beginning of 1942. The prototype was presented to the army on July 9, 1942, passed all tests and was put into production in the SPA-Viberti factory in Turin as early as August 1942.

Basically, the chassis of the AB41 was left intact, but the armored hull was completely remodeled, and the vehicle took a car-like shape. The front was tilted and housed a massive spare wheel and pioneer tools. Two spades were attached to the left side of the front hood, and a pickaxe on the left rear side. The mudguards were remodeled and the front ones held the tripods for the machine guns. At the front of the mudguards, two jerrycans were kept on each side for the transport of drinking water, recognizable by the white crosses painted on the side. The mudguards at the back had toolboxes on top and two perforated metal plates used for unditching the vehicle if it got stuck in the sand. On the rear of the right mudguard was the muffler, while on the left mudguard was a plate with a stoplight.

The open central combat compartment was armored on the sides and was 3.2 m. long and 1.75 m. wide. Armor was 17 mm. all around the chassis. The windshield had three bulletproof glass panels derived from glass made for aeronautical use. These were 12 mm. thick, although their steel equivalent was significantly less. The windshield was equipped with rear-view mirrors and could be folded down. Ground clearance was 0.35 m, with the possibility of fording 0.7 m of water.

The total weight decreased from AB41’s 7.5 tonnes to 4 tonnes in an empty AS42. Fully battle-ready, with the primary armament fixed, full tanks and full ammunition load, the vehicle reached 6.5 tonnes. The vehicle had 4×4 traction, but only the front wheels were steered (like on the original chassis of the Fiat-SPA TM40) and therefore the rear driving position, characteristic of the AB armored car series, was removed.

The tires used on the AS42 were produced by Pirelli in Milan, as were almost all the tires on Italian vehicles. The AS used the same tires as the AB armored cars series, the Pirelli “Libia” 9.75×24″ and “Libia Rinforzato” tires for use in the sandy soil of North Africa. The “Artiglio” 9×24″ and “Artiglio a Sezione Maggiorata” 11.25×24″ tires designed for use in Italy and Europe were later used in the Russian steppe. In 1942, new tires were studied for the new Camionette, which could also be used on AB series armored cars: Pirelli “Sigillo Verde” tires again for sandy soils and Pirelli “Raiflex” tires for use in Europe. It should be noted that due to the poor logistics of the Royal Italian Army and the almost non-existent logistics of the Esercito Nazionale Repubblicano (RSI, National Republican Army), AB armored cars and Camionette used any tire available. It is therefore not rare to find AB41 or AB43 armored cars with “Raiflex” tires and AS42 with “Libia” tires.

By design, a total of 20 fuel jerrycans with a capacity of 20 liters each could be transported in two rows of 5 on each side of the fighting compartment. In total, each AS42 could carry 24 jerry cans, 4 of which were for water. However, due to their use in North Africa, many more jerrycans were transported, crammed in any free space to increase the range of the vehicle and of the crew. The AS42 was equipped with a tarpaulin. It provided cover from the elements from the top and the rear, but not from the sides of the Camionette. There was also a tarpaulin to cover the windshield and two smaller ones for the frontal lights. When not used, all the tarpaulins, including the folding rods that supported them, were rolled up and fastened with straps on the back of the fighting compartment.

The 145 liters fuel tank allowed a range of 535 km., which was increased to a total of 2,000 km. with the additional 400 liters transported in jerry cans. The vehicle consumed around a liter of gasoline for every 3.7 km. The armored rear compartment was not modified. The 430 kg. heavy engine was the 6-cylinder petrol FIAT-SPA ABM 2 which gave 88 hp., the same as in the AB41. Automotive performance was greatly improved, with a maximum road speed of 84 km/h. and up to 50 km/h. off-road.

The fuel tank was located above the engine, while the 3 liters oil tank was to the left of the engine. There were two water tanks above the engine compartment and one in the wooden bulkhead between the engine compartment and the combat compartment. The armor on the outside of this compartment was 5 mm. The engine cooling water was contained in a 32-liter tank above the engine in the front.

The large volume in the open central position allowed the mounting of considerably heavy armament. Depending on the weapon, a different pedestal was situated in the middle of this open central position, which, with different attachments points, could mount one of several weapons, including a rapid-fire anti-aircraft/anti-tank Breda 20/65 Mod. 1935 gun, an anti-tank/infantry 47/32 Mod. 1935 support gun or a Solothurn S18-1000 20 mm anti-tank rifle, called Carabina “S” by the Italian soldiers.

Secondary armament consisted of Breda 38 or Breda 37 8×59 mm. machine guns. Depending on the mission, one to three of these weapons could be mounted on supports positioned to the right of the driver and on the left and right sides of the rear part of the fighting compartment.

On several Camionettas, the secondary armament consisted of captured British Vickers K machine guns. These were famously used on LRDG vehicles throughout the North African campaign. All the mounts for the main and secondary armament could be rotated 360°.

Ammunition was left inside its boxes scattered in the combat compartment due to a lack of ammunition racks. For this reason, the quantity of ammunition could vary from mission to mission. In addition to the driver’s seat, the crew members that handled the weapons on board were seated on folding seats on either side of the fighting compartment (two on the right and one on the left). In some cases, the crew consisted of five or six members crammed into the little vehicle.

From September to November 1942, the first batch of 140 vehicles was delivered to the Royal Army. This delay was caused by a bombing of the SPA-Viberti factory in Turin during the previous weeks which destroyed several AS-42s.

The Saharianas that arrived in North Africa were used for raids in the desert, as originally planned. Its low profile allowed it to hide behind the dunes and wait for the enemy’s arrival without being seen. Its great range allowed it to pursue enemy forces for long periods and to fight LRDG teams effectively. Entering service in December 1942, the AS42 participated in the final stages of the Libyan Campaign and the entire Tunisian campaign. They were mainly assigned to the Auto-Avio-Saharan Battalions (Italian-specific battalions meant for close cooperation between aircraft and land vehicles of the army) and to the 103° Battaglione and Raggruppamento Sahariano. These last ones were divided in five Companies located in different positions. The 1st Company was in Marada, the 2nd in Murzuk, the 3rd in Sebha and in Hon (or Hun), while the 4th and 5th faced the LRDG in the Siwa Oasis and groups of French raiders commanded by Philippe Leclerc stationed in Chad.

They had a claimed kill ratio of 1:5, capturing dozens of British armed or transport vehicles. In 1943, LRDG command issued an order to attack only if there were no high numbers of Camionetta AS42 in the area. This meant the British needed aerial reconnaissance before attacking, which lowered the effectiveness of the LRDG. During the Tunisian Campaign, all the vehicles of the Auto-Avio-Saharan Battalions and 103° Battaglione Sahariano were lost in action along with the majority of the Arditi. The Arditi were an elite unit of the Royal Italian Army entrusted with the AS42. They fought bravely against the Allied troops that had surrounded them.

On April 26, 1942, the 10° Reggimento Arditi (10th Arditi Regiment) was established, divided into three Companies. Its troops were composed of soldiers trained for the special forces of the Royal Italian Army, such as sappers, paratroopers and swimmers. They were moved into this regiment for distinguishing themselves as excellent drivers.

The three Companies were equipped with 24 Camionette AS42 each (for a total of 72 vehicles), each divided into four patrol groups with 2 officers and 18 or more soldiers armed with Carcano Mod. 91 T.S. rifles or MAB 38A submachine guns, Beretta M1934 pistols and a dagger.

After April 1943, all the Companies were active in Sicily for anti-paratrooper patrols. Between July 13th and 14th, the 2nd Company repulsed an attack by British paratroopers. On the night of July 14th, at Primosole, six Camionette fought at the Primosole Bridge over the Simeto River. The Arditi soldiers fired on their adversaries with personal weapons without using the weapons onboard due to poor visibility. Four AS42 were destroyed by mortar shells, but the 32 Arditi survivors fought along with a group of German paratroopers for another eight days. On August 13th, the surviving Camionette and their crews were moved to the Italian peninsula and taken to Santa Severa (their Headquarters) located near Rome to reorganize the Companies, replacing the fallen Arditi and destroyed vehicles.

On 8th September, the day of the armistice, the Companies were not involved in the action, but the various groups chose their fate independently. The 1st Battalion joined the Allies and was renamed as the 9° Reparto d’Assalto. The 2nd Battalion joined the new Salò Republic founded by Benito Mussolini in northern Italy on 23rd September without vehicles, ending in the Division “San Marco”, fighting the rest of the war without vehicles as assault infantry.

After intense fighting against German troops in Rome between 8th and 10th September, the vehicles that were captured by the Italian Fascists and Germans went to equip an entire Company of Arditi that decided to join the Germans. This would be the Gruppo Italiano Arditi Camionettisti (Italian Arditi Camionette Driver Group) that served in the 2. Fallschirmjäger Division “Ramcke”. This unit fought on the Eastern Front from October 1943 until the summer of 1944 against the Red Army. The Camionette, meant for the Saharan desert, ended up fighting in the Russian frozen steppes, where temperatures reached -25° C. Of the other Battalions of the 10th Arditi, not much is known. They probably broke-up and each soldier or small group decided for themselves what they would do. Some joined the partisan resistance, others joined the Republic of Salò, others went to the co-belligerent Italian Army and others fled home to their families.

The company that fought with the “Ramcke” Division then retreated to Romania and finally to Germany in the spring of 1944. In June 1944, the Arditi were sent to Normandy to fight the Allies that had just disembarked. There, a group was captured by the Americans during the battle and the surrender of Brest, while other Arditi with their surviving AS42 fought in Belgium and Holland. They faced British soldiers in Arnhem during Operation Market Garden. After all these events, in the autumn of 1944, the survivors returned with their last AS42s to Italy and fought for the Salò Republic in the Republican National Army (Esercito Nazionale Repubblicano, ENR).

The Italian Police in Africa (Polizia dell’Africa Italiana, PAI), an Italian police corps used for the security of the Italian colonies, received some AS42 that were used for patrolling and security tasks in the Italian cities in 1943, after the loss of all the Italian colonies. After the fall of the Royal Italian Army, the PAI was equipped with 15 AS42 of different versions coming from the Battaglione D’assalto Motorizzato of the Royal Italian Army. The PAI was then tasked with public safety duties. On 23 March 1943, some of these AS42 trucks, with elements of the “Barbarigo” Battalion of the XªFlottilla MAS, were involved in patrols after the partisan attack on Via Rasella in the center of Rome. On June 4, 1944, during the defense of Rome, one of the PAI’s Camionette, armed with Breda 20/65 Mod. 1935, accidentally came across an M4 Sherman on the Via Nazionale and was hit by a 75 mm. shell that pierced the front on the Camionetta, destroying the front and the spare wheel of this vehicle.

After the Allied capture of the Italian capital, the PAI handed over all its equipment to the State Police. Among the vehicles surrendered were 12 Camionette of the Metropolitana and Sahariana versions (with “Artiglio” and “Libia” tires).

Another Italian corps that used the AS42 was the Battaglione “Barbarigo” of the Xª Flottiglia MAS, which had about twenty AS42 Metropolitane and AS43 taken directly from the factories. They were used in the Nettuno area against the American and Canadian forces which tried to break through the Italian lines, inflicting heavy losses.

A pair of AS42 type Metropolitane were built in Turin factories starting on April 25 1945 in order to defend the factories and their assembly lines from German sabotage. These Camionette can be distinguished from the others by some steel plates on the sides and on the back of the fighting compartment, about one meter in height, behind which the partisans used their weapons while being protected from enemy fire. One of these vehicles participated in the partisan parade on May 6 1945 along with another Metropolitana without any of these changes that was used as a command vehicle and then disarmed.

Seven AS42s that survived the war, were used by Italian Police departments and repainted in amaranth red (Italian post-war police color). They were employed, after several modifications, including the removal of the anti-tank guns, the pioneer tools and jerry cans, by different departments of the Italian State Police in Udine and Bologna until 1954. Some were put into service in the XI Reparto Mobile (Moving Department) in Emilia Romagna until 1954. These cars were supported by: AB41, AB43 and Lancia Lince armored cars. An unknown number of AS42s were produced for the police after the war and were delivered in January 1946.

A second model, called ‘Sahariana II’ or ‘Tipo II’, more commonly, ‘Metropolitana’, entered service in Italy in 1943. It differed from the first model by the absence of the two upper rows of petrol tanks, replaced by two large boxes that held ammunition. With the remaining 14 jerrycans (4 for water and 10 for fuel), the maximum range went down to about 1,300 km. These jerrycans were almost never carried because such long ranges were not needed on the continent and the danger posed by transporting so much fuel during urban fighting.

The two perforated plates for unditching the vehicle were also removed, as they were now useless. However, the four pins that fixed them in place were retained. Two large boxes for tools were added on the upper part of the two rear mudguards. Furthermore, this version was equipped with new 11.5×24″ Pirelli “Artiglio”, “Sigillo Verde” and “Raiflex” type tires adapted to the continental terrain and temperate climate. The “Metropolitane” version seems to have not been armed with Solothurn S18/1000 anti-tank rifles. These Camionette were only armed with the 47 mm. anti-tank guns and Breda 20 mm. rapid-fire cannons.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

tanks-encyclopedia.com

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: