BA-64


Coche blindado soviético
Soviet armored car

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Coche blindado. TYPE:Armored car.
TRIPULANTES:2 CREW:2
ANCHURA:5.01 ft. WIDTH:5.01 ft.
LONGITUD:3’66 m. LENGTH:12 ft.
ALTURA:1’9 m. HEIGHT:6.23 ft.
PESO:2.360 kg. WEIGHT:5,202 lb.
MOTOR:Un GAZ-64 de 4 cilindros y 50 caballos. ENGINE:A GAZ-64 4-cylinder 50 hp engine.
COMBUSTIBLE MÁX.:90 litros. FUEL CAPACITY:90 litres.
AUTONOMÍA:540 km. RANGE:335.54 ml.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Una ametralladora DT de 7’62 mm.
  • 6 granadas F-1.

ARMAMENT:

  • One 7.62 mm DT machine-gun.
  • Six F-1 hand grenades.
MUNICIÓN:1.260 cartuchos. AMMO:1,260 rounds.
BLINDAJE:15-4 mm. ARMOR:0.59-0.15 in.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera: 80 km/h.

MAX. SPEED:

  • Road: 49.7 mph.
VERSIONES:2 VERSIONS:2
CONSTRUIDOS:3.903 BUILT:3,903

Antes de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, la fábrica GAZ era el primer suministrador de componentes mecánicos para los coches blindados del Ejército Rojo, tales como los FAI, FAI-M, BA-20 y sus variantes. Todos ellos poseían dos desventajas en común: su limitada capacidad de flotación y su escaso blindaje.

Al iniciarse la guerra GAZ se hallaba en pleno proceso de desarrollo y fabricación de jeeps ligeros GAZ-64 de uso militar. Haciendo uso de su experiencia, los ingenieros de GAZ decidieron desarrollar un cocha blindado ligero basado en el chasis del GAZ-64. El proyecto recibió la denominación Izdelie 64-125. El chasis era una base ideal para un vehículo ligero debido a su escasa altura sobre el suelo, corta distancia entre ejes y probada fiabilidad mecánica al estar ya en producción.

El proyecto original tomaba como base el cuerpo blindado del BA-20, acortado y modificado para encajar en el chasis del GAZ-64, sin embargo el 23 de agosto de 1941 se les mostró a V. Grachev y otros ingenieros de GAZ un ejemplar capturado intacto del coche blindado medio alemán SdKfz 221 en el Polígono de Pruebas de Kubinka, próximo a Moscú. Fueron varias las características de este vehículo que impresionaron a los ingenieros soviéticos, particularmente su configuración poligonal, cuyo perfil era muy superior al anticuado BA-20, por entonces el coche blindado estándar del Ejército Rojo. Por ello se proyectó un cuerpo blindado nuevo para el BA-64 incorporando este diseño.

El desarrollo fue muy rápido. Las primeras carcasas de fabricación totalmente soldadas se terminaron en la planta de Vyksinskiy a fines de noviembre de 1941, siendo enviadas a GAZ donde eran ensambladas al chasis para las pruebas del vehículo, aún con la denominación Izdeliye-64-125 o GAZ-64-125, que comenzaron el 9 de enero de 1942.

Se fabricaron al menos tres prototipos ensamblados a partir de cuerpos blindados producidos por la fábrica de Vyksinskiy. Inicialmente se les dotó de torretas abiertas equipadas con rejilla antigranadas. Sin embargo en las pruebas se detectó que la cabeza del comandante a menudo chocaba con las rejillas en trayectos campo a través debido a la escasez de espacio de la cámara de combate. También se consideró el hecho de que éstas podían ser un impedimento para abandonar el vehículo en caso de ataque con proyectiles incendiarios tipo cócteles Molotov. Por ello se suprimieron dichas rejillas. Los prototipos iniciales también incorporaban protecciones simples para las rejillas de ventilación del radiador en el frontal, que se extendían sobre y debajo del glacis del vehículo. En prototipos posteriores y en los vehículos de producción, dichas protecciones modificadas se localizaban sólo bajo el glacis. Así mismo, los primeros prototipos carecían de portillos para disparar a los lados del casco.

El 10 de enero de 1942 Klimenti E. Voroshilov presenció las evoluciones del primer prototipo. El vehículo recibió la denominación BA-64-125 el 17 de febrero de 1942. Para uso del ejército la denominación se simplificó, pasando a denominarse BA-64 (“BA” es abreviatura de broneavtomobil, coche blindado). Tras finalizar los ensayos, el 3 de marzo se hizo una demostración para V. M. Molotov y otros miembros del Politburó en el Kremlin, tras la cual fue finalmente aceptado por el Ejército Rojo el 14 de marzo de 1942 para comenzar a fabricarse de inmediato.

La primera serie se terminó el 24 de abril de 1942. Para el día 31 de abril se habían terminado cincuenta ejemplares, incrementándose la producción de tal forma, que a mediados de 1943 se habían terminado 1.415, de los 636 incorporaban radios modelo RB-64 o 12-RP.

El BA-64 supuso un importante avance en términos de movilidad comparado con la serie del BA-20. Su excelente relación peso-potencia y la localización de las ruedas en los extremos del vehículo, lo que suponía un centro de gravedad más bajo, le daban mayor estabilidad y agilidad en pendientes de hasta 30º, le permitían vadear hasta 90 cm de agua y afrontar terrenos resbaladizos de hasta 18º. Fue el primer coche blindado soviético con tracción a las cuatro ruedas y se manejaba muy bien sobre arena.

El motor era un GAZ-MM de cuatro cilindros y 50 caballos que resultaba muy fiable, ya que operaba bien con combustible de bajo octanaje, aceite de baja graduación y requería poco mantenimiento, algo esencial dadas las condiciones de la guerra en Rusia. El vehículo poseía un excelente radio de acción en carretera de 500 kms. Para mejorar las prestaciones todo terreno y la supervivencia en combate, se le dotó de llantas GK a prueba de balas. Aunque muy efectivas en combate, estas llanta reducían la velocidad punta en carretera a sólo 40 km/h. Por ello en zonas de retaguardia y en trayectos largos se usaban las llantas estándar del GAZ-M1 (Emka) con dibujo para uso civil.

La torreta abierta era asimétrica con la ametralladora Degtyarev de 7’62 mm, que se encontraba descentrada hacia la derecha. El armamento se fijaba mediante pernos a la cámara de combate en lugar de ser parte integrante de la torreta. El giro de ésta se hacía manualmente. La ametralladora tenía un alcance efectivo de 80 a 1.000 m. contra blancos terrestres y un supuesto (y quizás demasiado optimista) alcance de 5.000 m. contra aviones. En el interior del vehículo se transportaban granadas de mano F-1 y las armas de la tripulación.

A fines del verano de 1942, los BA-64 ya habían luchado en los frentes de Bryansk y del Voronezh y posteriormente sirvieron en la región de Stalingrado. Continuaron en producción con escasas modificaciones hasta ser reemplazados por el BA-64B a partir del 1 de septiembre de 1943. Se produjeron un total de 3.903 ejemplares.

Entre las variantes, cabe destacar el mencionado BA-64B, desarrollado a partir del verano de 1942. Iba montado sobre el chasis del GAZ-67 y entre otras mejoras, poseía mayor amplitud de ejes. Este modelo se convirtió en la versión definitiva de la serie. Se produjo desde septiembre de 1943 hasta 1946 y fue muy usado por el ejército ruso en Hungría, Austria, Rumanía y Alemania.

Otros modelos menos importantes fueron el BA-64D (DShK) que portaba una ametralladora pesada DShK Modelo 1940 de 12’7 mm. en una torreta más grande. Este diseño no fue muy práctico debido al tamaño del arma y el escaso espacio interior. El BA-64 ZhD, versión ferroviaria de reconocimiento no fue muy usado, mientras la versión de mando BA-64 Sh y el semioruga BA-64Z no pasaron de la fase de pruebas.



Before the Great Patriotic War, the GAZ factory was the main supplier of driving gear for light armored cars like FAI, FAI-M, BA-20 and their variations. All those vehicles had two common disadvantages: their flotation ability was far from perfect and their armor protection was too weak.

When the Great Patriotic War started, the GAZ was in full swing of developing and manufacturing GAZ-64 light jeeps, designed upon military demands. Using their large experience, engineers of the GAZ’s design bureau decided to develop a light armored car on the chassis of the GAZ-64. The new project received the Izdelie 64-125 designation. The GAZ-64 was an ideal basis for an armored car design, as it had a short wheelbase, good ground clearance, and used rugged and proven mechanical components that were already in series production.

The Izdeliye 64-125 was originally intended to be based on the BA-20 armored hull, shortened and modified to fit the GAZ-64 chassis, however, on 23rd August 1941 VA. Grachev and other GAZ engineers were shown a captured German SdKfz 221 medium armored car at the NIIBT Polygon at Kubinka near Moscow. Several features of the SdKfz 221 impressed the group, particularly the highly faceted armor configuration. The hull shape of the SdKfz 221 was infinitely superior to the dated BA-20, which was the standard Red Army armored car of the period and therefore an entirely new hull was developed incorporating such highly faceted armor.

Development of the Izdeliye 64-125 was very quick. The first all-welded bodies were completed at the Vyksinskiy plant by the end of November 1941 and shipped to GAZ where they were assembled for field trials of the new vehicle, still at this time designated Izdeliye-64-125 or GAZ-64-125. Field trials began on 9th January 1942.

At least three original prototypes were built on armored hulls produced by the Vyksinskiy plant. These were originally fitted with open turrets with wire mesh grenade screens. However, it was discovered during evaluation trials that in the confines of the small BA-64 fighting compartment, the commander frequently hit his head on the screens during cross country travel. It was also considered that with the expedient use at the time of “Molotov cocktail” gasoline bombs by Russian troops at the front, the screens would be a major hindrance to exiting the vehicle should the roles be reversed. The screens were therefore removed. The early prototypes also featured simple slatted armored radiator air intake louvers in the frontal armor which extended above and below the vehicle glacis, whereas on later prototypes and production models the modified full width armored intake louvers were located below the glacis only. These early vehicles had no firing ports in the hull sides.

On 10th January 1942 Klimenti E. Voroshilov witnessed the first prototype undergoing trials. The vehicle received the Army designation BA-64-125 on 17th February 1942. In Russian Army service the suffix was dropped and the vehicle simply known as the BA-64, where “BA” means broneavtomobil (armored car). After military trials were completed, on 3rd March the vehicle was also demonstrated to V.M. Molotov and members of the Political Bureau of the CPSU outside the Kremlin, after which it was finally accepted for service with the Red Army on 14th March 1942 with series production begun immediately thereafter.

The first series production BA-64 was completed on 24th April 1942. By 31st April, fifty were completed, with production steadily rising such that in the first six months of 1943, 1,415 BA-64s were produced, of which 636 were fitted with a RB-64 or 12-RP radio.

The BA-64 represented a major advance in terms of mobility when compared with the BA-20 series. Its good power-to-weight ratio and placing of the wheels at the extreme corners of the vehicle, with a resultant low center of gravity, gave the vehicle excellent agility and stability and it could climb 30° slopes, cross 0.9 m ford and 18° slippery hill-sides. The BA-64 was the first Soviet armored car with four-wheel drive and it could move on sand very well.

The BA-64 was powered by a four-cylinder GAZ-MM engine developing 50 hp. The engine was a particularly reliable unit which operated well on low octane fuel and low grade oil with little maintenance, an essential characteristic considering Russian wartime conditions. The vehicle had an excellent road range of 500 km. To enhance the BA-64s all-terrain performance and survivability in battle, the vehicle was provided with bullet proof GK tires. While very effective in battle conditions, these tires reduced the maximum road speed of the vehicle to 40 km/hour. For this reason standard tires from the GAZ-M1 (Emka) with civilian tread were used in rear areas and long route marches.

The BA-64s open turret was asymmetrical with the 7.62 mm Degtyarev (DT) machine gun armament offset to the right. The armament was pintle-mounted to the fighting compartment floor and not an integral part of the turret. Traverse was manually operated. The BA-64s 7.62mm DT machine gun had an effective fighting range of 80-1,000 m. against ground targets and a claimed and perhaps slightly optimistic 5,000m in the anti-aircraft role. Personal crew weapons and F-1 hand grenades were also carried within the vehicle.

By the end of the summer of 1942 the BA-64 had seen action on the Bryansk and Voronezh fronts and later in the year served in the Stalingrad region. The BA-64 continued in production with few modifications until replaced on the assembly lines by the later BA-64B model from 1st September 1943. In total 3,903 of the original BA-64 were produced before the vehicle was replaced.

Among the variants of the BA-64 the most outstanding was the BA-64B, developed from the summer of 1942. It was based on the GAZ-67 chassis and had a wider track and other improvements from the original car. The BA-64B became the definitive model of the BA-64 series. It was produced from September 1943 until 1946 and saw extensive use with the Russian Army in Hungary, Austria, Romania, and Germany.

Other minor versions included the BA-64D (DShK) which carried a 12.7mm DShK M-1940 heavy machine gun in an enlarged turret. This design was not very practical in the end due to the size of the gun inside the turret. The BA-64 ZhD, a rail road scout vehicle, was not extensively used and the BA-64 Sh command version and the BA-64Z half track didn’t progress beyond trials.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

The Russian Battlefield
James Kinnear, Russian Armored Cars 1930-2000, Darlington Productions, 2000.

©jmodels.net