jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

BRDM-1

Vehículo blindado ruso
Russian scout car


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(BRDM M-1958)
TECHNICAL DATA
(BRDM M-1958)
TIPO:Vehículo blindado ligero anfibio de reconocimiento. TYPE:Amphibious armoured scout car.
TRIPULANTES:2+3 CREW:2+3
ANCHURA:2’25 m. WIDTH:7.5 ft.
LONGITUD:5’7 m. LENGTH:18.8 ft.
ALTURA:2’9 m. HEIGHT::9.6 ft.
PESO:5’63 toneladas. WEIGHT:5.63 tonnes.
MOTOR:Un motor en línea de gasolina GAZ-40PB de 6 cilindros y 90 hp. (70 kW) a 3.400 rpm. ENGINE:One GAZ-40PB 6-cylinder in-line gasoline developing 90 hp. (70 kW) at 3,400 rpm.
AUTONOMÍA:

  • Carretera:750 km.
  • Agua:120 km.
RANGE:

  • Road:470 ml.
  • Water:75 ml.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Una ametralladora media SGBM de 7’62 mm. (BRDM-1 inicial).
  • Una ametralladora pesada DShK 1938/46 de 12’7 mm. o bien una ametralladora pesada KPV de 14’5 mm. (BRDM-1 final).
  • Dos ametralladoras medias SGBM de 7’62 mm. en ontajes laterales (opcional en BRDM-1 final).
ARMAMENT:

  • One 7.62 mm SGMB medium machine-gun. (early BRDM-1).
  • One 12.7 mm heavy machine-gun or 14.5 mm KPV heavy machine-gun (late BRDM-1).
  • Two 7.62 mm SGMB medium machine-guns on the side pintel mounts (optional in late BRDM-1).
MUNICIÓN:

  • 7’62 mm.:1.250 proyectiles.
AMMO:

  • 7.62 mm.:1,250 rounds.
BLINDAJE:10 mm.máx. ARMOR:0.39 in. max.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera:90 km/h.
  • Campo a través:50 km/h.
  • Agua:9 km/h (5.6 mph)
MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:56 mph.
  • Cross-country:31 mph.
  • Water:5’6 mph.
VERSIONES:13 VERSIONS:13
CONSTRUIDOS:11.500 (BRDM-1). BUILT:11,500 (BRDM-1).

Mientras que el BTR-40 realizó tareas de reconocimiento y mando además de su papel como trasnsporte de tropas durante los años 50, pasó una década entre el final de la producción del BA-64 en 1946 y la puesta en fabricación de un coche blindado de posguerra especialmente diseñado para sus funciones en 1957. El diseño del BTR-40, que había cumplido su papel de vehículo de reconocimiento durante los años anteriores, era básicamente un camión blindado basado en un chasis 4×4. Cumplió las misiones de vehículo de reconocimiento y transporte de tropas razonablemente bien, pero se trataba de un diseño provisional basado en las acuciantes necesidades de la posguerra para modernizar y mecanizar al ejército soviético. V.K. Rubtsov y su equipo de diseñadores consideraron la necesidad de un vehículo especial para el reconocimiento y comenzaron a trabajar en un nuevo vehículo anfibio en 1954. Los requisitos para el diseño eran un peso de 5’6 toneladas, cinco tripulantes, velocidad en carretera de más de 80 km/h., autonomía de 500 km. y capacidad anfibia.

El nuevo diseño, al que se le dio la denominación de fábrica de BTR-40P, se basaba en el BTR-40 con motor, caja de cambios, transmisión y ejes diferentes. El BRDM fue desarrollado por el equipo de ingenieros liderado por V. A. Dedkov, bajo la supervisión general de V.K. Rubtsov. Se desarrolló específicamente como vehículo de reconocimiento para las unidades mecanizadas. Era totalmente anfibio y poseía una capacidad todoterreno mucho mayor que su predecesor. En su servicio militar se le conoció como BRDM (Bronirovannaya Razvedivatelno Dozornaya Mashina: Vehículo Blindado de Reconocimiento), lo que reflejaba claramente su misión.

Se realizaron significativas modificaciones al diseño que en general mejoraron el rendimiento del BRDM respecto a las del BTR-40. La principal ventaja del BRDM era su mayor movilidad en tierra y la introducción de capacidad anfibia, una importante desventaja del BTR-40. El BRDM se impulsaba en el agua por un único sistema hidrojet (mediante chorro de agua).

El BRDM tenía un sistema de serie, operado por el conductor, que controlaba la presión de los neumáticos entre 0.5-3 kg/cm.2 para adaptarlos a las condiciones del terreno. Este sistema reducía significativamente la presión sobre el suelo del vehículo y ayudaba a la tracción sobre terreno blando. La movilidad campo a través también se ayudaba de un dispositivo empleado por vez primera en el BRDM, que no era sino la reintroducción en la posguerra de un dispositivo ya empleado en vehículos todoterreno, especialmente en Alemania. El BRDM se ayudaba en terreno difícil por un juego de cuatro ruedas movidas por pequeñas cadenas dotadas de neumáticos de avión de 700 x 250 mm., ajustables a una presión de entre 4.0 y 4.5kg/cm2. Estas ruedas eran bajadas por el conductor según la necesidad e impedían que el vehículo tocase fondo proporcionando además tracción añadida en cualquier terreno. Esto es especialmente importante al atravesar orillas fluviales, la perdición de todos los vehículos militares de ruedas, que anteriormente empleaban incómodas cadenas sobrepuestas para ello. Cuando no eran nedenominado originalmente en fábrica GAZ-40P y BRDM tras entrar en servicio con el ejército soviético, la designación se cambió de manera no oficial a la de BRDM-1 tras la introducción del BRDM-2. El BRDM mantuvo su designación oficial sin sufijo, si bien en la práctica se le denominaba BRDM-1.

La OKB de V.K. Rubtsov y Dedkov de la fábrica GAZ desarrolló el BRDM en paralelo al transporte blindado de tropas BTR-60P. El desarrollo del programa del BRDM comenzó en 1954 y el primer prototipo se terminó en febrero de 1956, probándose un escaso número de prototipos en terrenos de la zona del Mar Negro el mismo año. Finalmente fue aceptado para el servicio en 1957 y se produjo en serie de 1957 a 1966. Fue visto por vez primera con el ejército soviético y en público en 1959. En total, se fabricaron aproximadamente 10.000 BRDM de todos los modelos en la factoría GAZ entre 1958 y 1966, de los que unos 1.500 fueron exportados. El BRDM fue empleado en las divisiones de fusileros motorizados soviéticas y en las divisiones blindadas. Los batallones de reconocimiento de las unidades blindadas poseían 12 vehículos, y los regimientos de carros 7. Fue retirado del servicio a finales de los años 70. En Alemania Oriental se le denominó SPW-40P. No fue empleado por los ejércitos húngaro y checoeslovaco, que disponían del coche blindado húngaro FUG para realizar misiones de reconocimiento.

La principal desventaja del BRDM fue su armamento ligero y la vulnerabilidad de su motor de gasolina frontal. Normalmente el armamento consistía en una sola ametralladora SGMB de 7’62 mm. en afuste exterior, aunque algunos vehículos fueron más tarde dotados de una ametralladora DShK de 12’7 mm.y dos SGMB de 7’62 mm. en afustes orientables. Esta configuración resultaba dificultosa y exponía demasiado a los servidores. Los BRDM rusos llevaban 1.250 proyectiles de 7’62 mm. en cinco cargadores. Los primeros BRDM no poseían ningún equipo de visión nocturna. Posteriormente se introdujeron faros infrarrojos FG-125 y un proyectoren en los nuevos vehículos fabricados, que también fueron incorporados a los BRDM anteriores.

Los primeros BRDM de serie aparecieron en 1957 con un diseño abierto en la parte superior. Se produjeron muy pocos antes de que el BRDM M-1957 fuese reemplazado por el M-1958, con techo cerrado. El BRDM M-1957 tenía una altura de 1’87 m. El BRDM M-1958 fue el segundo modelo de serie. En la parte superior poseía dos escotillas de entrada y su altura se incrementó de 1’87 m. a 2’29 m. (armamento incluido). representó la versión definitiva de la serie.

El BRDM no era fácilmente modificable para montar una torreta, ya que su cámara de combate estaba en la parte posterior y el montaje en tal posición afectaba gravemente a su flotabilidad. El desarrollo posterior del modelo base fue por ello limitado y se comenzó a trabajar en un vehículo para sustituirlo. Ya en 1961 se logró un primer diseño que culminó en el BRDM-2 en 1966.

Las variantes más importantes evolucionadas a partir del vehículo base fueron el vehículo de mando BRDM-1U, equipado con radios R-112 adicionales y 3 antenas, el vehículo NBQ BRDM-RKh y los vehículos anticarros 2P27, 2P32 y SP110, dotados de distintos tipos de lanzadores y misiles.



While the BTR-40 performed functional service as a scout and command vehicle in addition to its APC role during the 1950s, a decade passed between the ending of BA-64 production in 1946 and the entry into production of a purpose designed post-war armored car in 1957. The BTR-40 design, which had fulfilled the role of a reconnaissance vehicle during the intervening years, was essentially an armored truck based on a 4×4 chassis. It fulfilled the role of scout vehicle and APC reasonably, but was a compromise design based on an urgent post war requirements to modernize and mechanize the Soviet Army. V.K. Rubtsov and his design team considered the need for a specialized scout vehicle and began work on a new, amphibious vehicle in 1954. The base design requirement was for a 5.6 tonne vehicle with a crew of five, a road speed of over 80 km/hour, a road range of 500 km, and amphibious capability.

The new design, which was given the factory designation BTR-40P, was based on the BTR-40 with a modified engine, gearbox, transmission, and axles. The BRDM was developed by a team of engineers led by V. A. Dedkov under the overall direction of V.K. Rubtsov. The new vehicle was specifically developed as a scout vehicle for mechanized formations. It was fully amphibious and had a far greater terrain capability than its predecessor. In military service, the vehicle later became known as the BRDM (Bronirovannaya Razvedivatelno Dozornaya Mashina: literally Armored Reconnaissance Duty Machine), reflecting its intended role.

There were several significant design modifications which greatly improved the performance of the BRDM compared with the earlier BTR-40. The primary advantage of the BRDM was its significantly increased mobility on land and the introduction of amphibious capability, a severe drawback associated with the BTR-40. The BRDM was fully amphibious, being powered in water by a single hydrojet system.

The BRDM was provided with a standard driver-controlled CTPRS, which varied the tire pressures between 0.5-3 kg./cm.2 to suit ground conditions. This system significantly reduced the vehicle ground pressure and aided traction on soft ground. Cross-country mobility was also aided by an additional device introduced with the BRDM as the post-war reintroduction of a concept previously used in some all-terrain vehicles, particularly in Germany. The BRDM was assisted in rough terrain by a set of four small chain-driven wheels fitted with 700 x 250 mm. aviation tires, adjustable between 4.0 and 4.5kg/cm2. These wheels were lowered by the driver as required, preventing the vehicle from bottoming out and aiding all-terrain travel by providing additional traction. This is particularly important in negotiating river banks, the bane of all amphibious wheeled military vehicles, which had previously employed cumbersome “overall” tracks for this purpose. When not required, these wheels were retracted into nacelles in the hull floor, with the lower half of the wheels remaining visible.

Originally designated by the factory designation GAZ-40P and as the BRDM after entry into Soviet Army service, the designation was only later unofficially altered to BRDM-1 after the introduction of the BRDM-2. The BRDM officially retained the original designation without any suffix, though in practice it was also referred to as the BRDM-1.

V.K. Rubtsov and Dedkov OKB at GAZ developed the BRDM concurrently with the BTR-60P armored personnel carrier. The BRDM development program began in 1954 and the first prototype was completed in February 1956, with a small number of prototype vehicles field trialled in the Black Sea area that same year. After further GABTU acceptance trials, the BRDM was accepted for Soviet Army service in 1957 and was series produced from 1957 to 1966. It was first seen in service with the Soviet Army and in public in 1959. In total, approximately 10,000 BRDM vehicles of all variants were produced at GAZ between 1958 and 1966, of which approximately 1,500 were exported. The BRDM was widely used in Soviet Motorized Rifle Divisions and Tank Divisions. The Tank Division Reconnaissance Battalion had twelve; the Tank Regiment had seven. The BRDM left service with the Soviet Army in the late 1970s. In the East German Army the BRDM was designated the SPW-40P. The vehicle was not used by the Hungarian and Czechoslovakian Armies, which used the Hungarian FUG armored car to perform reconnaissance duties.

The primary disadvantages of the BRDM were its light armament and the vulnerability of the front mounted petrol engine. Usually the armament consisted of single 7.62mm SGMB mounted externally, though some vehicles were later re-armed with a 12.7mm DShK and two 7.62mm SGMB on side pintle mounts. This was always a difficult configuration which made the crew extremely vulnerable while operating the weapons. BRDMs in Russian service were provided with 1,250 rounds of 7.62mm ammunition in five magazines. Early production model BRDM vehicles did not have any specialized night vision equipment. FG-125 infrared driving lights and a searchlight were subsequently introduced on new vehicles and retrofitted on older vehicles.

The first BRDM vehicles were series-produced in 1957. The first production model was an open design, armed with a single pintle-mounted SGMB machine gun. Very few of the original BRDM M-1957 production model were produced before the vehicle was replaced in production by the M-1958 production model, which had closed roof armor. The BRDM M-1957 had a height of 1.87m. The BRDM M-1958 was the second production model of the series, provided with a fully enclosed body with armored roof. There were two hatches in the roof and the height was increased from 1.87m to 2.29m (including armament). The BRDM M-1958 became the definitive production model of the BRDM series and was manufactured from late 1957 to 1968.
The BRDM could not easily be modified to mount a turret, as the fighting compartment was at the rear and the fitting of a rear-mounted turret would seriously affect buoyancy. Further development of the base model BRDM was therefore limited and work quickly began on a replacement vehicle, with the first design being undertaken as early as 1961, culminating in the BRDM-2 in 1966.

The most important variants developed from the base vehicles were the BRDM-1U command vehicle with additional R-112 radios and 3 antennas, the NBC reconnaissance vehicle BRDM-RKh and the tank destroyers 2P27, 2P32 and SP110 equipped with different launchers and missiles.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE
James Kinnear, Russian Armored Cars 1930-2000 , Darlington Productions, 2000.

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: