Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

Char B-1


Carro pesado francés
French heavy tank

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(Modelo B1-bis)
TECHNICAL DATA
(Model B1-bis)
TIPO:Carro pesado de infantería. TYPE:Heavy infantry tank.
TRIPULANTES:4 CREW:4
ANCHURA:2’5 m. WIDTH:8.2 ft.
LONGITUD:6’52 m. LENGTH:21.5 ft.
ALTURA:2’79 m. HEIGHT:9.2 ft.
PESO:32.000 kg. WEIGHT:70,548 lb.
MOTOR:Un Renault de 6 cilindros de gasolina de 300 caballos a 1.900 rpm. ENGINE:One 6-cylinder petrol engine with 300hp at 1,900 rpm.
COMBUSTIBLE MÁX.:400 l. FUEL CAPACITY:106 gal.
AUTONOMÍA:200 km. RANGE:124 ml.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Un cañón de 47 mm SA35.
  • Un cañón de 75 mm ABS SA35.
  • Dos ametralladoras de 7’5 mm.
ARMAMENT:

  • One 47mm SA35 gun.
  • One ABS SA35 75mm gun.
  • Two 7’5mm machine-guns.
MUNICIÓN:

  • 75 mm:74 proyectiles.
  • 47 mm:50 proyectiles.
  • 7’5 mm:5.100 proyectiles.
AMMO:

  • 75 mm:74 rounds.
  • 47 mm:50 rounds.
  • 7’5 mm:5.100 rounds.
BLINDAJE:40 mm. ARMOR:1.5 in.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera:28 km/h.
  • Campo a través:21 km/h.
MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:17 mph.
  • Off-road:13 mph.
VERSIONES:3 VERSIONS:3
CONSTRUIDOS:Unos 405 (todos los modelos). BUILT:Some 405 (all versions).

En 1921 la Section Technique des Chars de Combat bajo la dirección del General Estienne solicitó a cinco compañías el diseño de un carro de 14’75 toneladas armado con un cañón de 47 mm o 75 mm en el chasis. En 1924 se presentaron cuatro maquetas diferentes en Rueil y tres años después se solicitaron tres carros. Fueron completados entre 1929 y 1931 recibiendo la denominación de Char B. Pesaban 24’6 toneladas e iban armados con un cañón de 75 mm en el casco, dos ametralladoras fijas en el frontal y dos ametralladoras en la torreta. Llevaban cuatro tripulantes. Tras algunas modificaciones, el modelo se puso en producción con el nombre Char B1, pero sólo se habían llegado a construir 35 antes de que se decidiese fabricar un modelo mejorado con mayor blindaje y motor más potente, conocido como Char B1-bis. Antes de la caída de Francia se habían construido unos 365. De ellos, había 66 carros en 1ª, 2ª, 3ª y 4ª DCR (Division Cuirassées de Réserve) , más otros 57 en compañías independientes.

El Char B1-bis poseía un blindaje excelente que podía resistir impactos de cualquier anticarro alemán excepto el famoso 88 mm. El casco se componía de secciones de fundición unidas mediante remaches. El conductor iba sentado en la parte izquierda delantera del casco y conducía el carro mediante un volante convencional que iba conectado a su vez a un sistema hidroestático. A la derecha del conductor se situaba el cañón de 75 mm. SA35, que poseía un tubo corto (calibre 17’1) y tenía una elevación de +25º y depresión de -15º. El cañón no podía girar al ser fijo, siendo apuntado por el conductor, que previamente había de girar el carro hasta que el cañón se alinease con el objetivo. Una característica inusual de este cañón era el compresor de aire que expulsaba humos del tubo. En la parte frontal derecha del casco, en posición algo más baja que el cañón, llevaba una ametralladora fija Chatellerault de 7’5 mm. Esta ametralladora era apuntada por el conductor o el comandante. La torreta APX era idéntica a la del carro SOMUA S35 e iba armada con un cañón de 47 mm. que tenía una elevación máxima de +18º y una depresión de -18º. Otra ametralladora de 7’5 mm. con giro independiente de 10º a derecha e izquierda iba también montada en la torre. La munición se componía de 74 proyectiles de 75 mm (alto explosivo), 50 proyectiles de 47 mm. (alto explosivo y perforante) y 5.100 de ametralladora.

El carro llevaba cuatro tripulantes: conductor/artillero, operador de radio, cargador y comandante. Éste tenía que apuntar, cargar y disparar las armas de la torre además de dirigir el vehículo. El cargador también realizaba varias funciones, ya que tenía que pasar la munición al comandante y cargar el cañón de 75 mm. El operador de radio iba sentado cerca de la torreta. La manera normal de acceder al vehículo era a través de una gran escotilla en el lado derecho del casco. El conductor poseía una escotilla sobre su posición y había otra en la parte trasera derecha de la torre. Había dos salidas de emergencia, una en el suelo y otra en el techo del compartimiento del motor. El motor, la transmisión y los tanques de combustible se situaban en la parte trasera del casco. El carro poseía un sistema de arranque por aire comprimido además del sistema de arranque eléctrico normal. Otra característica interesante del vehículo era la instalación de un indicador de dirección giroscópico, que también era accionado mediante el compresor citado. La suspensión a cada lado se componía de 16 ruedas en carretones dobles de acero. Tres de ellos tenían cuatro ruedas cada uno que eran controladas mediante amortiguadores en espiral verticales y ballestas semielípticas. Había también tres ruedas independientes delante y una detrás con ballestas cuarto-elípticas. La rueda tractora estaba situada atrás y la tensora delante, ésta última también accionada mediante muelles.

El paso siguiente en el desarrollo del Char B1-bis fue el Char B1-ter, que incrementó su blindaje, introdujo un quinto tripulante (mecánico) y cuyo cañón de 75 mm podía girar 5º a derecha o izquierda. Sólo se construyeron 5 y ninguno fue empleado en combate. El Char B1 fue usado por los alemanes en diferentes misiones. La versión de entrenamiento no tenía torreta ni cañón en el casco, siendo éste reemplazado por una ametralladora. Fue designado PzKpfw B1 (f) Fahrschulewagen. Los alemanes modificaron así mismo 24 carros en 1942-43 para emplearlos como lanzallamas. Llevaban este arma en el casco en lugar del cañón de 75 mm y su designación fue PzKpfw B1-bis (Flamm). El cañón de la torre no se eliminó para darle al vehículo cierta protección anticarro. Finalmente, también se fabricó una versión con cañón autopropulsado que no llevaba armamento ni torreta, y que montaba un obús alemán de 105 mm. Esta conversión fue realizada por Rheinmetall-Borsig en escaso número, operando la mayor parte de estos vehículos en Francia.

Unos cuantos Char B1-bis fueron empleados por los franceses en la liberación del puerto de Royan en 1944. El Char B1-bis habría sido seguido por el ARL 40, pero se encontraba todavía en fase de diseño cuando cayó Francia. El modelo se fabricó por fin en 1946 con la designación ARL 44.



In 1921, the Section Technique des Chars de Combat under the leadership of the famous French exponent of armour, General Estienne, requested five companies to draw up a design for a tank weighing 14.75 tons, to be armed with a hull-mounted 47mm or 75mm gun. In 1924 four different mock-up were presented at Rueil and three years later orders were given for the construction of three tanks. These were completed between 1929 and 1931 and were known as the Char B. These weighed 24.6 tons and were armed with a hull-mounted 75mm gun, two fixed machine-guns in the front of the hull, and two turret-mounted machine-guns. They had a crew of four. With modifications the type entered production as the Char B1, but only 35 of these had been built before it was decided to place in production an improved model with heavier armour and a more powerful engine, to be known as the Char B1-bis. Some 365 were built by the fall of France in 1940. Of these there were 66 Char B1-bis tanks in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th DCRs (Division Cuirassées de Réserve), and a further 57 in independent companies.

The Char B1-bis had excellent armour which could withstand attack from any German anti-tank gun except the famous 88mm. The hull was of cast sections bolted together. The driver was seated at the front of the hull on the left and steered the tank with a conventional steering wheel which was connected in turn to a hydrostatic system. Mounted to the driver’s right was the 75mm SA35 gun, which had a very short barrel (17.1 caliber), elevation being +25º and depression -15º. The gun was fixed in traverse and was aimed by the driver, who swung the tank until the gun was lined up with the target. An unusual feature of this gun was that an air compressor was provided to blow fumes out of the barrel. A 7.5mm Chatellerault machine-gun was fixed in the front of the hull on the right, lower than the gun. This machine-gun could be aimed by the driver or commander. The APX turret was identical to that installed on the SOMUA S35 tank and was armed with a 37mm gun with an elevation of +18º and a depression of -18º. A 7.5mm machine-gun was also mounted in the turret, and this had an independent traverse of 10º left and right. Some 74 rounds of 75mm (HE), 50 rounds of 47mm (AP and HE) and 5,100 rounds of machine-gun ammunition were carried.

The tank had a crew of four, the driver/gunner, wireless operator, loader and commander. The last had to aim, load and fire the turret guns as well as command the tank. The loader was just as busy, as he had to pass ammunition to the commander as well as load the hull-mounted 75mm gun. The wireless operator was seated near the turret. Normal means of entry and exit was via a large door in the right of the hull. The driver had a hatch over his position, and there was also a hatch in the turret rear on the right. There were two emergency exits, one in the floor and another hatch in the roof of the engine compartment. The engine, transmission and fuel tanks were at the rear of the hull, and a compressed air starting system was fitted in addition to the normal electric starting system. Another interesting feature of the tank was the installation of a gyroscopic direction indicator, also driven by the compressor. The suspension on each side consisted of 16 double steel bogie wheels. Of these, three assemblies had four wheels each and these were controlled by vertically mounted coil springs and semi-elliptical leaf springs. There were also three independent bogie wheels forward and one to the rear, with quarter-elliptic leaf springs. The drive sprocket was at the rear and the idler at the front, the latter being coil sprung to act as the tensioner.

Further development of the Char B1-bis resulted in the Char B1-ter. This had additional armour, a fifth crew member (a mechanic) and the 75mm hull gun had a traverse of 5º left and right. Only five of these were built and none was used in action. The tank was also used by the German army for a variety of roles. The driver training model had the turret and hull-mounted gun removed, the latter being replaced by a machine-gun. The type was then known as the PzKpfw B1 (f) Fahrschulewagen. The Germans also modified 24 tanks in 1942-43 for use in the flamethrower role. These had flameguns fitted in place of the hull guns and the type was known as the PzKpfw B1-bis (Flamm). The gun turret was retained to give the vehicle some anti-tank capability. Finally there was a self-propelled gun model. This had the hull gun and turret removed, and on top of the tank was mounted a standard German 105mm howitzer. The conversion work was carried out by Rheinmetall-Borsig. Very few such conversions were effected and most of these served in France.

A few Char B1-bis tanks were used by the French when they liberated the port of Royan in 1944. The Char B1-bis would probably been followed in production by the ARL 40 but this was still at the design stage when France fell. The type was eventually placed in production as the ARL 44 in 1946.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

David Miller, The Illustrated Directory of Tanks of the World, Greenwhich Editions, 2001.
wwiivehicles.com

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: