Cromwell Cruiser Tank


Carro crucero británico
British cruiser tank

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS
(Cromwell IV)
TECHNICAL DATA
(Cromwell IV)
TIPO:Carro pesado de infantería. TYPE:Heavy Infantry Tank.
TRIPULANTES:5 CREW:5
ANCHURA:3’04 m. WIDTH:10 ft.
LONGITUD:6’35 m. LENGTH:20.10 ft.
ALTURA:2’84 m. HEIGHT:9.3 ft.
PESO:27.942 kg. WEIGHT:61,600 lb.
MOTOR:Rolls-Royce Meteor V-12 de gasolina y refrigerado por agua de 600 caballos a 2.250 rpm. ENGINE:Rolls-Royce Meteor V-12 water-cooled petrol engine developing 600hp at 2,250 rpm.
AUTONOMÍA:

  • Carretera:277 km.

RANGE:

  • Road:173 ml.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Un cañón de 75 mm. QF Mark V o VA.
  • Dos ametralladoras de 7’92 mm. (Mk IV, V y VII).

ARMAMENT:

  • One 75mm. QF Mark V or VA gun.
  • Two 7.92mm. machine-guns. (Mk IV, V and VII).
MUNICIÓN:

  • 75 mm.:64 proyectiles.
  • 7’92 mm.:4.950 proyectiles.

AMMO:

  • 75 mm.:64 rounds.
  • 7.92 mm.:4,950 rounds.
BLINDAJE:

  • 8 mm.-76 mm.
  • 10 mm.-76 mm. (modelos con planchas soldadas).
  • 10 mm.-102 mm. (blindaje de apliques).

ARMOR:

  • 0.31in.-3in.
  • 0.4in.-3in. (welded variants).
  • 0.4in.-4in. (appliqué armour).
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera:64 km/h.
  • Campo a través:29 km/h.

MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:40 mph.
  • Cross-country:18 mph.
VERSIONES:16 VERSIONS:16
CONSTRUIDOS:4.016 (Todos los modelos). BUILT:4,016 (All variants).

El Cromwell surgió de la especificación publicada por el Alto Mando a finales de 1940 e inicios de 1941 que solicitaba un “carro crucero pesado”. Los carros crucero fabricados según las ideas tradicionales de un vehículo ligero y rápido capaz de cumplir el papel de la caballería de persecución y explotación habían demostrado ser inadecuados para el campo de batalla moderno en dos conceptos vitales: protección y potencia de fuego. La especificación de 1941 solicitaba carros crucero de un peso total de unas 25 toneladas, blindaje frontal de 6’9 cm. y un cañón de 6 libras montado en el anillo de la torreta de 152 cm. Nuffield fabricó el primer modelo, designado A24 y llamado Cromwell. Se trataba de un carro crucero mejorado que usaba algunos de sus componentes, entre ellos el motor Liberty que pronto demostró ser inadecuado para un carro de casi 30 toneladas. El vehículo cambió su nombre a Cavalier y se destinó a tareas de entrenamiento y otras más especializadas.

A inicios de 1941 Leyland había colaborado con Rolls-Royce en la búsqueda de un motor adecuado para un carro de combate y topó con el Meteor, un motor de aviación Merlin de menor potencia. Sus 600 caballos eran más que suficientes para los carros crucero pesados y, con sus componentes bien probados, todo indicaba que sería robusto y fiable. Leyland comenzó a trabajar en un carro, más tarde conocido como Centaur, que era en realidad un Cromwell con motor Liberty. No existían motores Meteor disponibles cuando se inició la fabricación del Centaur, por ello se le instalaron motores Liberty y resultó algo mejor que el infortunado Cavalier. Una característica importante fue que el compartimiento del motor podría aceptar el motor Meteor cuando estuviese disponible, y de hecho muchos Centaur fueron remotorizados después de 1943. Mientras tanto la Railway Carriage and Wagon Company se había hecho cargo del diseño de la versión final del Cromwell y produjo el primer prototipo en enero de 1942. Por entonces el nombre de este carro ya provocaba confusión puesto que se le denominada indistintamente A27M (M de Meteor), Cromwell M o Cromwell III. La nomenclatura sólo se aclaró cuando Cavalier y Centaur fueron confirmadas como denominaciones oficiales.

Temiendo fracasos en el diseño por estar poco experimentado, el Cromwell fue probado exhaustivamente, un lujo en aquel momento de la guerra, y los primeros modelos fabricados no aparecieron hasta enero de 1943, un periodo demasiado largo. El motor Meteor daba escasos problemas y demostró con creces que la potencia era una característica necesaria en el diseño de carros de combate. Los primeros motores fueron fabricados por la misma Rolls-Royce para asegurar la estabilidad del diseño, pero la producción fue pronto transferida y contratada a otras marcas para permitir a la compañia concentrarse en los motores de aviación.

Justo al aparecer los primeros Cromwell el Alto Mando cambió de opinión respecto del armamento. Hasta entonces se había solicitado que el cañón principal fuese predominantemente anticarro, pero la experiencia en el desierto y Norte de África demostraba que tras la ruptura del frente los objetivos primarios no eran los carros enemigos, sino fortificaciones de la infantería y artillería. Lo que se necesitaba no era un cañón de munición perforante sino otro capaz de disparar proyectiles de alto explosivo contra este tipo de blancos. Los Sherman y Grant llevaban un cañon de 75 mm. de tan buenas prestaciones, que existían peticiones para montarlos en vehículos británicos. Las nuevas especificaciones del Alto Mando respondían a estas necesidades, aunque aún se seguía pensando en la necesidad de un carro de apoyo cercano (CS). El montaje del cañón de 75 mm. introdujo algo más de retraso en el programa, y se hubo de rearmar a los carros ya fabricados con el cañón de 6 libras. Los primeros cañones de 75 mm se entregaron a finales de 1943 y para entonces su diseño estaba casi superado pese a que se habrían de usar hasta el final de la guerra. Su desarrollo partió del 6 libras y usaba varios de sus componentes. El tubo del cañón era el mismo, acanalado y más corto dotado de freno de boca. El mecanismo de la recámara era también parecido y los defectos iniciales no se solventaron hasta mayo de 1944. La munición era norteamericana, procedente de los suministros del Préstamo y Arriendo sin modificaciones y no daba problemas. Un dato interesante del cañón estadounidense era que derivaba directamente del 75 mm. francés (soixante-quinze) de la I Guerra Mundial. En 1933 los 75 se adaptaron a los carros de combate con recámara deslizante y diferentes topes y recuperadores, pero la munición era la misma del diseño francés original, y de hecho podía disparar munición francesa. Tras la toma de Siria al gobierno francés de Vichy a fines de 1941, se envió munición francesa al norte de África para ser usada por los carros Grant.

Las dos ametralladoras BESA del Cromwell iban montadas en la torre y el casco, esta última era el último ejemplo del antiguo diseño que dotaba de ametralladoras a todo el chasis del carro, que se remontaba a los primeros carros de la Gran Guerra. Avanzada la guerra, muchos tripulantes de los Cromwell era escépticos sobre el valor de estas ametralladoras, y a menudo no se instalaban en algunos modelos.

El diseño del chasis seguía el modelo británico común de tres compartimientos y estaba fabricado a base de planchas de blindaje sencillas, bien soldadas o bien remachadas. El conductor y ametrallador iban en el compartimiento delantero, separados de la torreta por un mamparo que poseía un agujero de acceso. El comandante, artillero y cargador se situaban en la torre dentro del compartimiento central. La torre giraba mediante mecanismo hidráulico y era muy precisa sobre terreno uniforme. Podía girar 360º en 15 segundos. El comandante tenía una cúpula con dos periscopios en los modelos iniciales y hasta ocho en los modelos finales que proporcionaban visión panorámica. La torre almacenaba 23 proyectiles de 75 mm. y los restantes hasta los 64 en total iban almacenados en las paredes del compartimiento. Así mismo llevaba unos 4.950 proyectiles para la ametralladora BESA. El equipo de radio modelo 19 se situaba en la parte trasera de la torreta tras el cargador. En el compartimiento trasero el motor iba instalado entre dos grandes ventiladores. Los radiadores iban al final montados hacia arriba. La transmisión la proporcionaba una caja de cambios regenerativa Merritt-Brown, que ya había demostrado su valía en el carro Churchill en 1941. Se usó por vez primera en un carro crucero en el Cromwell, pero la combinación motor Meteor y caja de cambios Merritt-Brown se habría de convertir en la columna vertebral del diseño británico de carros en años venideros. La suspensión era de tipo Christie, adaptada del carro A13 y reforzada. Así y todo no podía aguantar una velocidad máxima de 64 km/h y tras el modelo Mark IV la velocidad tope se redujo a 51 km/h al darle menor recorrido a la última marcha. La cadena era más ancha que la del A13 y su desplazamiento era especialmente bueno.

El Cromwell demostró ser a la vez rápido y ágil, y era popular entre sus tripulantes. El mantenimiento no era difícil y la fiabilidad del Meteor resultó ser una bendición para los que tenían que aguantar los caprichos de los motores Liberty sobrecargados en otros carros. Un impedimento para la tripulación era la dificultad de salida en una emergencia especialmente para el conductor y ametrallador. Los modelos posteriores incorporaban escotillas deslizantes de modo que ambos pudiesen salir cualquiera que fuese la posición del cañón o la torre. Esto supuso perder algo de espacio de carga sobre los guardabarros y sólo quedaba una pequeña cesta tras la torre. Sobre el terreno a menudo se le instalaban más cestas puesto que el espacio era escaso para cinco tripulantes.

Los Cromwell se usaron para entrenamiento a lo largo de 1943 y 1944, y con la invasión de Normandía llegó la oportunidad de ponerlos en acción. Eran el equipo principal de la 7ª División Acorazada y de otros regimientos acorazados de reconocimiento. Tras la ruptura del frente en Caen, los Cromwell pudieron realizar la tarea para los que habían sido diseñados explotando el asalto. Apoyados por las versiones CS con obús de 95 mm., superaron en táctica y velocidad a los carros alemanes más pesados, pero siempre se veían superados en armamento incluso por los Panthers, que en comparación estaban menos blindados. Los intentos por instalar un cañón de 17 libras fracasaron y los tripulantes confiaban su éxito a su mejor entrenamiento y maniobrabilidad en combate. La intalación del cañón de 17 libras dio origen al carro Challenger, fabricado según la especificación A30, cuyo primer modelo apareció en agosto de 1942 y que estaba basado en un Cromwell má largo dotado de una rueda más en su tren de rodaje. Las prestaciones eran pobres porque el chasis era demasiado estrecho para su gran torreta, y el peso extra y cadenas más largas reducían su velocidad y agilidad. Sin embargo se aceptó para el servicio a inicios de 1943 y se fabricaron 160. Un intento posterior de mejorar el Challenger originó el Avenger, un Challenger con torre mejorada pero con escaso blindaje en su techo.

El último paso para hacer del Cromwell un cañón autopropulsado tuvo lugar en 1950, cuando el cañón de 20 libras del Centurion se instaló en una torre biplaza sobre el chasis del Cromwell. El experimento funcionó y el modelo fue destinado al Ejército Territorial y también vendido en escaso número a Austria y Jordania. El Cromwell fue el carro crucero numéricamente más importante de la guerra, y aunque no llegó a convertirse en el carro principal del ejército, complementaba a los Sherman en todas las formaciones acorazadas británicas hacia 1945. Su velocidad y potencia eran las mejores de un carro británico hasta entonces y su diseño básico poseía grandes posibilidades de desarrollo.



The Cromwell emerged from a General Staff specification drawn up in late 1940 and early 1941 for a ‘heavy cruiser’. The Cruisers built to the traditional ideas of a light fast vehicle capable of fulfilling the cavalry role of pursuit and exploitation had proved to be unsuitable to the modern battlefield in two vital areas, protection and gun power. The 1941 specification called for cruiser tanks with an all-up weight of around 25 tons, front armour of 2.75in. thickness, and a 6 pounder gun on a 60in. turret ring. Nuffield produced the first model, designated A24 and originally called the Cromwell. This was an improved Crusader and used several of its components, among which was the Liberty engine which quickly proved itself incapable of performing satisfactorily in a tank weighing nearly 60,000 lb. The name was soon changed to Cavalier, and the unsuccessful vehicle was used only for training and a few specialist roles.

Early in 1941 Leyland had collaborated with Rolls-Royce in looking for a satisfactory tank engine, and hit upon the Meteor, a de-rated Merlin aircraft engine. With 600hp this gave more than enough power for the heavy cruiser tanks, and since the main components were already well developed it seemed likely that it would be both robust and reliable. Leyland therefore began work on a tank that came to be called the Centaur, but this was really a Cromwell with a Liberty engine. There were no Meteors to be had when the Centaur was first produced, so it was fitted with the available Liberty engines, and was a bit more successful than the unfortunate Cavalier. A particular feature was the fact that the engine compartment could accept the Meteor when it became available, and many of the production run were so converted after 1943. Meanwhile the Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company had taken on the design of the final version of Cromwell and produced the first pilot version in January 1942. At this date the name was still causing confusion, and it was variously known as the A27M (M for Meteor), Cromwell M, or Cromwell III. The nomenclature was only finally cleaned up when Cavalier and Centaurs were confirmed as names.

Because of the failures of too few trials, the Cromwell was exhaustively tested, a luxury at that time of the war, and the first production models did not appear until January 1943; which was far too long. The Meteor engine gave little trouble, and amply demonstrated that power was a necessary feature of tank design. The first engines were built by Rolls-Royce themselves in order to get the design right, but production was switched away from them as soon as possible, to leave them free to concentrate on aircraft engines, and the Meteor was put out to contract.

Just as first Cromwells appeared, the General Staff changed its policy towards tank armament. Up till then the main armament gun had been required to be used in an anti-tank role, but experience in the desert and North Africa showed that after a break-through the main targets were not tanks at all, but dig-in infantry and anti-tank guns. What was needed was not an AP-firing gun but one that could fire a substantial HE shell against these softer targets. The Shermans and Grants carried a 75mm. gun with such a performance and there was a demand for these to be mounted on British vehicles. The new General Staff specification reflected this approach, though it was also agreed that the need for a Close Support (CS) tank had not yet vanished. The fitting of a 75mm. gun inserted some further delay into the programme, and there was a need to retrofit 75mm. guns into tanks that had been produced with the 6pounder. The first 75mm. guns were delivered in late 1943, and by this time they were probably close to the end of their time, though they had to be used until the end of the war. The 75mm. was a new gun developed from the 6pounder and using several components from it. The barrel was the same, bored out and shortened and fitted with a muzzle brake. The breech mechanism was also similar, and not surprisingly there were several initial defects, not fully overcome until May 1944. The ammunition was American, taken from the Lend-Lease supplies without modification, and gave no trouble. The American gun was interesting in that it had been directly derived from the French 75mm. (soixante-quinze) of WWI. In 1933 these 75s were adapted for tank use by fitting a sliding breech and different buffer and recuperator, but the ammunition was still the same original French design, and indeed French ammunition could be fired. After Syria was taken from the Vichy French in late 1941, a quantity of French field gun ammunition was shipped to the Western Desert and used in Grant tanks. The two BESA machine-guns were mounted in the turret and hull, the latter displaying the last surviving remnant of the idea of mounting machine-guns all around the hull, which went back to the first tanks of WWI. Later on in the war many Cromwell crews were sceptical of the value of the hull gun, and it was frequently left out on the variants.

The hull conformed to the standard British design of three compartments, and was built of single armour plate, either welded or riveted. In the front compartment were the driver and hull gunner, separated from the turret by a bulkhead with an access hole in it. The commander, gunner and loader were in the turrret in the centre compartment, contained in a rotating turret. The turret traversed by hydraulic power and was extremeley accurate in fine laying. It could be fully rotated through 360º in 15 seconds. The commander had a cupola, the early models having only two periscopes, the later ones with eight, thereby providing all-round vision. Twenty-three rounds of 75mm. ammunition were stowed ready for use in the turret and the balance of a full load of 64 rounds was stowed around the walls of the compartment. Some 4,950 rounds of BESA ammunition were carried. The No. 19 wireless set was in the back of the turret behind the loader. In the rear compartment the engine was placed between two large air cleaners. The radiators were right at the back, mounted upright. Transmission was through a Merritt-Brown regenerative gearbox, which had proved successful in the Churchill tank in 1941. It was used in a cruiser for the first time in the Cromwell, but the combination of Meteor and Merritt-Brown was to be the mainstay of British tank designers for years to come. The suspension was Christie type, adapted from the A13 and strengthened. Even so it could not tolerate the top speed of 40 mph. and after the Mark IV the maximum speed was reduced to 32 mph. by gearing down the final drive. The track was wider than that of the A13, and the ride was remarkably good.

The Cromwell proved itself to be both fast and agile, and was popular with its crews. Maintenance was not too difficult, and the reliability of the Meteor was a blessing for those who had to cope with the vagaries of overstrained Liberty engines in other designs. A possible drawback for the crew was the difficulty of getting out in a hurry especially for the driver and hull gunner. Later marks were given slide doors to the front compartment so that the two men could climb out whatever the position of the turret and gun. In allowing for these doors some stowage space was lost on the track guards, and there was only a small bin behind the turret. Local enterprise often fitted extra bins, for space was tight for five men.

Cromwells were used for training throughout 1943 and 1944, and the opportunity for action arrived in the Normandy invasion. It was the main equipment of the 7th Armoured Division and a number of armoured reconnaissance regiments. After the breakout from Caen, the Cromwell was able to do the job it was designed for, and exploit the assault. Supported by 95mm. Howitzer CS versions, the Cromwell squadrons out-manoeuvred and outran the heavier German tanks, but they were always outgunned, even by comparatively light Panthers. Attempts to fit the 17pounder gun were a failure, and the Cromwell crews relied for their success on superior training and manoeuvrability when in action. The attempt to install the 17pounder resulted in a tank called the Challenger, built to the specification A30, the first model appeared in August 1942, based on a lengthened Cromwell with an extra wheel station. Performance was poor because the hull was too narrow for the large turret, and the extra weight and longer track base reduced speed and agility. Nevertheless it was approved for service early in 1943 and 160 were built. A later attempt to improve on the Challenger produced the Avenger, a Challenger with a better turret, but only thin sheet metal on the roof.

The final step in trying to make Cromwell into a SP gun was in 1950, when the Centurion 20 pounder was put into a two-man turret on the normal Cromwell hull. This just about worked, and it was issued to the Territorial Army and sold in small numbers to Austria and Jordan. As a gun tank Cromwell was numerically the most important British cruiser of the war, and though never the main battle tank of the army, it supplemented the Shermans in all British tank formations by 1945. Its speed and power were the best ever seen in British tanks till that time, and there was plenty of scope for development in the basic design.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

David Miller, The Illustrated Directory of Tanks of the World, Greenwhich Editions, 2001.

©jmodels.net