FAI-M


Coche blindado soviético
Soviet armored car

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Coche blindado. TYPE:Armored car.
TRIPULANTES:2 CREW:2
ANCHURA:1’75 m. WIDTH:5.74 ft.
LONGITUD:4’31 m. LENGTH:14.14 ft.
ALTURA:2’24 m. HEIGHT:7.34 ft.
PESO:2.300 kg. WEIGHT:5,070.62 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor de gasolina GAZ-M1 de 4 cilindros, 3.285 cc. y 50 caballos. ENGINE:A four-cylinder 50 hp and 3,285 cc GAZ-M1 petrol engine.
COMBUSTIBLE MÁX.:60 litros. FUEL CAPACITY:60 litres.
AUTONOMÍA:

  • Carretera:350 km.
  • Campo a través:270 km.

RANGE:

  • Road:217.47 ml.
  • Cross country:167.77 ml.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Una ametralladora DT de 7’62 mm.

ARMAMENT:

  • One 7.62 mm DT machine-gun.
MUNICIÓN:1.323 cartuchos. AMMO:1,323 rounds.
BLINDAJE:6-3 mm ARMOR:0.11-0.23 in.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera:90 km/h.

MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:55.92 mph.
CONSTRUIDOS:76 BUILT:76

El 31 de mayo de 1929 la URSS y la Compañía Ford firmaron un acuerdo para fabricar coches y camiones en la Unión Soviética. Los modelos fueron el coche Ford-A, y los camiones Ford-AA y AAA de dos y tres ejes respectivamente. En febrero de 1930 se inició la producción de camiones en la fábrica Gudok Oktyabrya de Nizhnij Novgorod. En noviembre comenzó también la producción en la factoría KIM de Moscú Tiempo después, la localidad de Nizhnij Novgorod recibió el nombre de Gorkiy, y consecuentemente su fábrica cambió su denominación por la de GAZ imeni Molotova (Fábrica de Automóviles Gorki de Molotov, entonces ministro de Stalin). Las especificaciones de todos los vehículos se recalcularon del sistema anglosajón (en pulgadas) al decimal resultando un cambio en la denominación de los mismos: El Ford-A pasó a llamarse GAZ-A y los camiones Ford-A y Ford-AAA, GAZ-AA y AAA respectivamente.

Poco después de la firma del contrato con Ford, los rusos hicieron varios intentos de desarrollar un coche blindado basado en el chasis del Ford-A. El equipo de diseño, dirigido por N. I. Dyrenkov, creó dos modelos: el D-8 y el D-12. En 1931 ambos fueron aceptados para el servicio aunque no cumplían totalmente las peticiones del Ejército Rojo. Ello se debía a que las ametralladoras de los dos modelos no podían girar y dejaban desprotegidos los flancos y la parte trasera del vehículo. Por ello, se ordenó a los diseñadores planear un nuevo chasis cuya torreta pudiese girar 360º. En 1931-1932 el equipo de diseñadores de la fábrica Izhorskiy logró desarrollar un nuevo vehículo. Se le llamó Ford-A Izhorskiy o simplemente FAI.

El FAI se probó con éxito y fue aceptado por el Ejército Rojo. Entró en producción en la misma planta Izhorskiy de Leningrado en 1932, reemplazando a los obsoletos D-8 y D-12. El modelo basado en el chasis del Ford-A se produjo en serie de 1932 a 1936, totalizando 676 unidades. Ninguno de ellos iba provisto de radio, empleándose banderas de señales para las comunicaciones. El FAI se convirtió en el coche blindado ligero estándar del Ejército ruso hasta la llegada del BA-20 en 1936.

En 1935 se desarrolló paralelamente un nuevo coche blindado basado en el chasis del automóvil GAZ M-1. Este vehículo tenía más espacio para la tripulación e incluía radio en algunos ejemplares. Con el avance que supuso la aparición del chasis del M-1, cesó la producción del FAI para acometer la del nuevo BA-20, como sería denominado el nuevo auto blindado. Sin embargo, en los almacenes de la fábrica quedaron unos 300 carrocerías del FAI sin terminar tras el cambio de producción. Los ingenieros soviéticos idearon montar dichas carrocerías sobre el chasis M-1. Este vehículo híbrido se llamó FAI-M.

El FAI-M poseía un motor más moderno, mayor capacidad de combustible y autonomía, pero las características de combate eran similares al FAI y no llevaba radio de serie aún en 1938. En comparación con el FAI, del FAI-M se produjeron pocos ejemplares, sólo 76 en total. Entró en servicio en la invasión de Polonia y las repúblicas bálticas en 1938-1939, también sirvió en la Guerra de Invierno contra Finlandia y en los inicios de la invasión alemana. Todos los FAI-M aún en servicio fueron pronto abandonados o destruidos en combate.

La característica más diferente entre el FAI-M y el BA-20 era la carrocería de aquel, que resultaba más corta que el chasis del GAZ-M1 sobre el cual iba construida. El eje trasero quedaba alineado con la parte posterior de la carrocería blindada, dándole al vehículo una apariencia particularmente desproporcionada. La parte inferior de la carrocería del FAI original necesitaba una plancha adicional remachada para poder ser unida al chasis del GAZ-M1. La curva suave en el frontal del techo de la cámara de combate y las dos protuberancias del techo del FAI no se modificaron.

El FAI-M incorporaba el nuevo motor GAZ-M1 de 50 caballos. Las ruedas de disco de acero del coche GAZ-M1 reemplazaron a las originales del FAI. Las cubiertas eran las nuevas GK (Gubchataya Kamera) fabricadas en goma esponjada, que permitían al vehículo seguir rodando con las cubiertas dañadas por la metralla o armas ligeras.

Eran especialmente buenas la calidad de la soldadura y el acabado general del FAI-M, que fue fabricado en una época en la cual la calidad no había aún sido deteriorada por las exigencias de la guerra.



On May 31 1929 the USSR and the Ford Company signed a contract to produce cars and trucks in the Soviet Union. The models were the Ford-A car, the Ford-AA and Ford-AAA trucks. In February 1930 truck assembly began at the Gudok Oktyabrya Factory in Nizhnij Novgorod. In November 1930 the KIM factory in Moscow commenced truck production as well. Later, Nizhnij Novgorod was renamed to Gorkiy, and its factory was renamed as GAZ imeni Molotova (Molotov’s GAZ). The specifications for all vehicles were re-calculated from the British (inch) to the metric system. After that all vehicles received new names: The Ford-A car was renamed GAZ-A and the Ford-AA and Ford-AAA as GAZ-AA and GAZ-AAA respectively.

Soon after the contract with Ford was signed, the Russians made several attempts to develop a light armored car on the Ford-A chassis. The design bureau, headed by Chief engineer N. I. Dyrenkov, developed two armored cars: the D-8 and the D-12. In 1931, both vehicles were accepted for service, although they didn’t satisfy all the Red Army’s demands. This was mostly because the designs had non-traversing machine-gun installations and left the sides and rear unprotected. As a result, designers were ordered to develop a new hull with a new turret with 360° traversing. In 1931-1932 the design bureau of the Izhorskiy Factory developed a new vehicle. The new armored car was named Ford-A Izhorskiy or simply FAI.

The FAI was successfully field trialed and accepted for service in the Red Army. It entered production at the Izhorskiy plant in Leningrad during 1932, replacing both the D-8 and D-12 armored cars. The original model FAI on the GAZ-A chassis was series produced from 1932 to 1936, during which 676 were produced. None were provided with radio and extensive use was made of flag communications. The FAI was the standard light armored car in Russian Army service until the introduction of the BA-20 series in 1936.

In 1935, at the Izhorskiy Factory a new armored car was developed, based on the chassis of the M-1 automobile. This new vehicle had more room for the crew, some of which would be equipped with radio. With the advancements allowed by the M-1 chassis, mass production was shifted from the FAI to the new armored car, named BA-20. However, after the production change, about 300 FAI’s hulls still remained in factory warehouses. So, the Soviet engineers came up with an idea to mount these hulls on the M-1 chassis. This hybrid was known as the FAI-M.

The FAI-M had an updated engine, improved fuel capacity, and extended vehicle range, but the combat characteristics of the vehicle were otherwise similar to the FAI which it replaced in production. The FAI-M was, in 1938, still not fitted with a radio as standard. In comparison with the original FAI, the FAI-M was produced in very small numbers; only seventy-six FAI-Ms being built in total. The FAI-M served with Russian forces during the invasion of Poland, during the battles for the Baltic Republics in 1938-39, throughout the 1940 “Winter War” with Finland, and in the opening stages of the 1941-45 war with Germany. All FAI-Ms still in service in 1941 were quickly abandoned or destroyed in combat.

The primary feature of the FAI-M which distinguishes it from the BA-20 is the distinctive FAI hull, which was considerably shorter than the new GAZ-M1 chassis on which it was mounted. This resulted in the rear axle being in line with the rear of the armored body, giving the vehicle a particularly disproportionate appearance. The chamfered lower hull of the original FAI hull required an additional armored plate riveted in place to modify the design for attachment to the GAZ-M1 chassis. The slight slope to the front section of the fighting compartment roof and the two roof domes were both retained from the FAI.

The FAI-M was powered by the new GAZ-M1 engine which developed 50hp (37kW). Solid stamped steel disc wheels from the GAZ-M1 were used on the FAI-M, replacing the wire wheels of the earlier FAI. The FAI-M was provided with type GK (Gubchataya Kamera) tires made of sponge rubber, which allowed the vehicle to travel with tires damaged by shrapnel or small-arms fire.

The quality of welding and general workmanship was particularly good on the FAI-M, which was produced in an era when quality workmanship was not eroded by later wartime requirements for quantity rather than quality.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

The Russian Battlefield
David Miller, The Illustrated Directory of Tanks of the World, Greenwhich Editions, 2001.

©jmodels.net