jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

Panhard EBR

Vehículo blindado francés
French armored car

 

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Blindado de reconocimiento. TYPE:Reconnaissance armoured car.
TRIPULANTES:4 CREW:4
ANCHURA:2´42 m. WIDTH:7.11 ft.
LONGITUD:6´15 m. LENGTH:20.2 ft.
ALTURA:2´24 m. HEIGHT:7.4 ft.
PESO:13.000 kg. WEIGHT:28,660 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor boxer de gasolina de 12 cilindros Panhard 12 H 6000 S de 200 hp. a 3.700 rpm. ENGINE:One Panhard 12 H 6000 S flat-twelve gasoline engine 200 hp. at 3,700 rpm.
AUTONOMÍA:700 km. RANGE:430 ml.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Un cañón SA 49 de 75 mm. (Modelo 1951).
  • Un cañón SA 50 de 75 mm. (Modelo 1954).
  • Un cañón D921/F1 de 90 mm. (Modelo 1963).
  • Tres ametralladoras MAC31 Reibel de 7´5 mm.
  • Tres lanzafumígeros DREB.
ARMAMENT:

  • One Canon 75 mm. SA 49 (Model 1951).
  • One Canon 75 mm. SA 50 (Model 1954).
  • One Canon 90 mm. model D921/F1 (Model 1963).
  • Three7.5 mm MAC31 Reibel machine guns.
  • Four DREB smoke dischargers.
MUNICIÓN:

  • 75 mm.:56 proyectiles.
  • 90 mm.:43 proyectiles.
AMMO:

  • 75 mm.:56 rounds.
  • 90 mm.:43 rounds.
BLINDAJE:20-40 mm. ARMOR:0.7-1.5 in.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera:115 km/h.
MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:71 mph.
VERSIONES:3 VERSIONS:3
CONSTRUIDOS:1.179 (Todos los modelos). BUILT:1,179 (All variants).

El vehículo blindado francés Panhard EBR (Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance) de la década de 1950 en realidad tuvo orígenes en los años previos a la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Panhard et Levassor, con sede en París, se erigió como uno de los contratistas de defensa franceses más importantes en relación con los vehículos blindados y fue seleccionado para diseñar y desarrollar un nuevo automóvil blindado de reconocimiento 8×8. Los elementos blindados de reconocimiento jugaron un papel clave durante este tiempo en la historia militar. Por lo general, eran unidades rápidas, ligeramente blindadas destinadas a detectar posiciones enemigas e informar a los comandantes según fuese necesario. A diferencia de otros intentos globales de vehículos de reconocimiento, los franceses estaban interesados ​​en desarrollar unidades de reconocimiento bien armadas que pudieran afrontar los blindados enemigos. El ejército francés de la década de 1930 poseía en gran medida vehículos blindados de tipo 4×4, por lo que se estaba preparando un cambio a vehículos con múltiples ruedas.

El trabajo de diseño comenzó en 1937 para el cual Panhard produjo un prototipo de evaluación en 1939. El diseño incorporó la configuración 8×8 requerida con un cañón de 25 mm. en una torreta, defendido por una ametralladora de 7´5 mm. en montaje coaxial. La conquista alemana de Francia finalmente descarriló cualquier trabajo adicional en el vehículo. Con la guerra en Europa concluida en junio de 1945, comenzaron los trabajos de reconstrucción del ejército francés. El ejército francés encargó a Panhard y a Hotchkiss que produjeran cada uno un vehículo blindado 8×8 y 6×6, respectivamente. El diseño de Panhard fue finalmente adoptado como Panhard EBR.

El Panhard EBR se caracterizaba por sus ocho ruedas grandes, montadas como cuatro pares a lo largo de un casco bastante largo. El conjunto de ruedas más externo era convencional con neumáticos de goma, mientras que el par de ruedas más interno era completamente de metal. Esta configuración permitía que el vehículo elevara las ruedas de metal para moverse por carretera empleando los neumáticos de caucho y que bajara las ruedas de metal para mejorar el control sobre el terreno campo a través, particularmente sobre terrenos blandos como el barro (las ruedas adicionales reducían efectivamente la presión sobre el suelo). Además, los neumáticos llevaban nitrógeno en su interior, lo que les permitían recibir daño de armas cortas sin pérdida de giro. La longitud del casco obligó a los ingenieros a proporcionar dos posiciones de conductor, una en la parte delantera y otra en la parte trasera, cada una de las cuales albergaba controles redundantes. Esto permitió que el vehículo escapara a gran velocidad sin tener que girar completamente. Un interruptor controlaba la potencia de transferencia de la unidad de una posición del conductor a la otra. La torreta oscilante de la serie FL-11 estaba centrada en el medio del casco y montaba una pieza de 75 mm. (Canon 75mm. SA49). El cañón poseía freno de boca, mientras que la torre podía girar 360 grados. A lo largo del techo de la torreta había una cúpula convexa con periscopios. La naturaleza oscilante del diseño de la torreta permitió instalar un cañón de gran calibre sobre un casco relativamente liviano, si bien muy pocos vehículos de producción de primera línea realmente llevaron este elemento de diseño, ya que el cañón principal estaba unida directamente a la sección superior de la torreta. El vehículo estaba tripulado por cuatro ocupantes, dos conductores, un comandante del vehículo y el artillero. Los conductores se situaban a los extremos del casco debajo de escotillas con bisagras de dos paneles con periscopios, flanqueados por los grandes guardabarros de las ruedas. Las herramientas se podían sujetar a los lados de la torreta o sobre los guardabarros, según fuese necesario.

El Panhard EBR tenía un único motor de gasolina Panhard 12 H6000S de 12 cilindros, refrigerado por líquido, de 200 hp. La potencia de transmisión se enviaba a las ocho ruedas, lo que proporcionaba al vehículo una velocidad máxima de 115 km/h. con una autonomía de 700 km. Sin embargo, la colocación del motor era tal que la torreta completa tenía que retirarse para que se realizaran las reparaciones, ya que estaba situado debajo del piso del casco sin acceso fácil.

La producción del Panhard EBR se ordenó en 1950 y el primer modelo de la serie apareció en 1951 (EBR-75 o Versión 1951). En 1954 se introdujo un cañón SA50 de 75 mm. En 1963, comenzó a producirse la variante final con un cañón de 90 mm. F2 (para convertirse en el EBR-90). Este arma prometía una potencia de fuego suficiente para destruir carros medianos/principales de la época. Todos los modelos del EBR llevaban cuatro ametralladoras MAC34 Reibel de 7´5 mm. Una ametralladora se colocó en un montaje coaxial en la torreta, mientras que otra era manejada por el comandante del vehículo. Cada conductor manejaba una ametralladora en sus respectivas posiciones. Cada lado de la torreta también albergaba dos lanzadores de granadas de humo operados eléctricamente para cubrir maniobras ofensivas y defensivas (cuatro granadas en total). El arma principal podía disparar proyectiles estandarizados HE (alto explosivo), HEAT (antitanque alto explosivo) y humo según fuese necesario. También se introdujo un proyectil de metralla. Algunas ejemplares de producción se equiparon posteriormente con las torretas de la serie FL-10 de los carros ligeros AMX-13 (cañones principales de 75 mm) para mejorar la potencia de fuego. Estas torretas suministraban doce proyectiles de 75 mm. desde dos contenedores con repetición continua de fuego. El principal inconveniente de esta modificación fue el aumento del perfil lateral y el reabastecimiento de municiones requerido desde el exterior del vehículo.

En total, Panhard produjo casi 1.200 ejemplares con una fabricación que duró hasta 1960 y sirvió como vehículo blindado estándar del ejército francés. Otros operadores clave del EBR (más allá del ejército francés) fueron Mauritania, Marruecos (hasta 2009), Túnez y Portugal. El modelo combatió con las fuerzas armadas francesas durante la Guerra de Independencia de Argelia de 1954-1962. El ejército portugués lo utilizó en varias de sus guerras coloniales, en Angola, Mozambique y Guinea-Bissau, desde 1961 hasta 1975. En acción, el alcance táctico del vehículo se amplió naturalmente del combate blindado de primera línea a vehículo de defensa de posiciones clave.

Panhard reemplazó la serie EBR con el moderno vehículo blindado AMX 10 RC 6×6 de la década de 1980. Los franceses dejaron de usar sus EBR en 1987, unos 36 años después de su introducción. Una variante conocida de la familia EBR fue un transporte de personal blindado designado como EBR VTT.



The French Panhard EBR (Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance) armored car of the 1950s actually maintained design origins in the years leading up to World War II. Paris-based Panhard et Levassor stood as one of the more important French defense contractors concerning armored vehicles and was selected to design and develop a new 8×8 armored reconnaissance car. Armored ground reconnaissance elements played a key role during this time in military history. They were typically fast, lightly armored units intended to detect enemy positions and report progress back to commanders as required. Unlike other global attempts at reconnaissance vehicles, the French were keen on developing well-armed reconnaissance units that could tangle with enemy armor if need be. The French Army of the 1930s largely fielded 4×4 type armored cars so a move to multi-wheeled, improved cross-country performance vehicles was in the works.

Design work began in 1937 to which Panhard produced an evaluation prototype in 1939. The design incorporated the requisite 8×8 wheel configuration with a 25mm. main gun fitted to a turret, defensed by a 7.5mm. machine gun in a coaxial mounting. The German conquer of France ultimately derailed any further work on the vehicle. With the war in Europe concluding by June of 1945, work on rebuilding the French military began. The French Army charged both Panhard and competitor Hotchkiss to each produce an 8×8 and 6×6 armored car respectively for procurement consideration to which the Panhard design was ultimately adopted as the Panhard EBR.

The Panhard EBR was characterized by its eight large road wheels, fitted as four pairs along a rather long hull. The outermost set of wheels were conventional rubber-tired systems featuring steel rims while the inner most pair of wheels were all-metal. This configuration allowed the vehicle to raise the metal wheels for road travel along its rubber sets and lower the metal wheels for improved ground control when going off road, particularly over soft terrain like mud (the additional wheels effectively lowered ground pressure). Additionally, the tires benefitted from use of nitrogen-filled pockets within, allowing the tires to take damage from small arms fire without loss of traversal quality. The length of the hull forced engineers to provide two driver positions, one at the front and the other at the rear, each position housing redundant controls. This allowed the vehicle to escape at speed without having to be turned completely around. A switch controlled the drive transfer power from one driver position to the other. The FL-11 series oscillating turret was centered at the middle of the design and consisted of a two-piece assembly mounting a 75mm. SA49 main gun (Canon 75mm. SA49). The barrel was capped by a muzzle brake while the turret held a full 360-degree traversal. Along the turret roof was a convex cupola sporting vision blocks while there was noticeable turret overhang at the rear. The oscillating nature of the turret design allowed a large-caliber main gun to be fitted atop a relatively light hull assembly, very few frontline production vehicles actually fielded this design element, for the main gun was directly attached to the upper turret section. The vehicle was crewed by four personnel, two drivers, a vehicle commander and the gunner. The drivers were positioned at the center hull at each respective hull end under two-panel hinged hatches with applicable vision blocks, flanked by the large wheel fenders. Headlamps at the true front end of the hull provided for night-time travel. Pioneer tools could be clamped along the sides of the turret or over the fenders as needed.

Power for the Panhard EBR was supplied by a single in-house designed Panhard 12 H 6000 S series 12-cylinder, liquid-cooled gasoline-fueled engine developing 200 hp. Drive power was sent to all eight wheels, thus providing the vehicle with a top road speed of 71 mph. with an operational range of approximately 430 ml. However, the placement of the engine was such that the entire turret would have to be removed for repairs to be conducted as it resided under the hull floor with no easy access.

Production of the Panhard EBR was ordered in 1950 to which the first series mark appeared in 1951 (as the EBR-75 or Version 1951). In 1954, a longer 75mm. main gun, the 75mm. SA50 series, was introduced. In 1963, the line saw its final variant revealed, now upgunned to a 90mm. Model F2 main gun (to become the EBR-90). This weapon promised tank-killing firepower more consistent with medium/main battle tanks of the time. All vehicle marks were defensed by up to four 7.5mm. MAC34 Reibel machine guns though two was the typical standard fielding. One machine gun was positioned in a coaxial mount in the turret while another was managed by the vehicle commander. Each driver managed an optional (though fixed) machine gun fitting at their respective positions. Each side of the turret was also home to two electrically-operated smoke grenade dischargers for covering offensive and defensive maneuvers (four total grenades). The main gun was cleared to fire standardized HE (High-Explosive), HEAT (High-Explosive Anti-Tank) and Smoke projectiles as needed. A canister shot was also introduced. Some production forms were later fitted with the FL-10 series turrets of AMX-13 Light Tanks (75mm. main guns) for improved hitting power. These turrets provided twelve 75mm. projectiles from two magazines in a repeat-fire fashion. The major drawback to this modification was the increased side profile and ammunition resupply required from outside of the vehicle.

In all, almost 1,200 examples were produced by Panhard with manufacture lasting until 1960 and it served as the standard French Army armored car during its tenure. Sources list key operators of the EBR (beyond the French Army) to include Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia and Portugal. The type saw combat service with French armed forces during the Algeria War of Independence of 1954-1962. The Portuguese Army utilized the type during several of its colonial wars, in Angola, Mozambique and Guinea-Bissau, spanning from 1961 to 1975. In action, the vehicle’s tactical scope naturally broadened from frontline armored combat system to general security in defense of key positions.

Panhard replaced the EBR series with the modern AMX 10 RC 6×6 armored vehicle of the 1980s. The French gave up use of their EBRs in 1987, some 36 years after its introduction. One known variant of the EBR family was a converted armored personnel carrier designated as the EBR VTT.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

militaryfactory.com

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: