T-40


Carro ligero anfibio soviético
Soviet light amphibious tank

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Carro ligero anfibio. TYPE:Light amphibious tank.
TRIPULANTES:2 CREW:2
ANCHURA:2’51 m. WIDTH:7.8 ft.
LONGITUD:4’43 m. LENGTH:13.6 ft.
ALTURA:2’12 m. HEIGHT:6.6 ft.
PESO:5.590 kg. WEIGHT:12,324 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor de gasolina GAZ-202 de seis cilindros y 85 caballos refrigerado por agua. ENGINE:A GAZ-202 six-cylinder water-cooled 85 hp petrol engine.
AUTONOMÍA:

  • Carretera:360 km.
  • Campo a través:185 km.

RANGE:

  • On road:223.69 ml.
  • Off road:114.95 ml.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Una ametralladora pesada de DShK de 12’7 mm.
  • Una ametralladora DT de 7’62 mm.

ARMAMENT:

  • One 12.7 mm DShK heavy machine-gun.
  • One 7.62 mm DT machine-gun.
MUNICIÓN:

  • 12’7 mm.:550 disparos.
  • 7’62 mm.:2.016 disparos.

AMMO:

  • 12.7 mm.:550 rounds.
  • 7.62 mm.:2,016 rounds.
BLINDAJE:6-13 mm. ARMOR:0.25-0.50 in.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera:45 km/h.
  • Agua:6 km/h.

MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:27.9 ml/h.
  • Water:3.7 ml/h.
VERSIONES:3 VERSIONS:3
CONSTRUIDOS:Unos 486. BUILT:Some 486

En el sistema de clasificación de blindados del Ejército Rojo, los carros ligeros (con un peso hasta 6 toneladas) eran usados por las unidades de infantería y caballería en misiones de reconocimiento, combate contra otras unidades ligeras enemigas y custodia. Su débil protección, armamento ligero y escasas tripulaciones se veían compensados por su movilidad, pequeñas dimensiones (especialmente su longitud), excelente maniobrabilidad en terreno escabroso y capacidad anfibia. En los años 30 el Ejército Rojo poseía dos modelos de carros ligeros: el T-37 y el T-38.

La industria soviética no se hallaba sobresaturada en la construcción de estos vehículos dado que su montaje era bastante simple y barato. Producirlos tampoco requería de las escasas planchas blindadas disponibles ni de potentes motores. Por ello, tales carros podían fabricarse en lugares menos especializadas en grandes cantidades. Desde 1931 la fábrica moscovita Nº37 había desarrollado varios modelos de carros ligeros: las tanquetas T-27 y T-27A, varias versiones de los carros anfibios T-37A y T-38, así como los tractores blindados “Pionero” y “Komsomolets”.

Sin embargo, hacia 1938, el diseño del T-38 se encontraba ya obsoleto, por ello el Ejército Rojo necesitaba de nuevos vehículos anfibios de reconocimiento. El blindaje del nuevo carro debía protegerlo tanto de los proyectiles perforantes como de la metralla. Otras características que se consideraron fueron su blindaje inclinado, el incremento de la potencia de fuego y la instalación de una radio.

A fines de 1938, el Departamento de Investigación de la fábrica Nº37 bajo la dirección del Ingeniero Jefe N. A. Astrov puso en marcha el proyecto “010”. La tripulación la formaban dos hombres: un conductor (sentado en la parte anterior del casco) y un comandante en la torreta. El diseño permitía acceder al motor desde el interior del carro. La transmisión se encontraba en la parte delantera del vehículo al igual que en el T-38. En la parte posterior había dos depósitos de combustible de 100 litros cada uno. También poseía una hélice y dos timones protegidos.

En comparación con el T-38, el nuevo carro estaba mucho mejor armado con una ametralladora DShK de 12’7 mm y otra DT de 7’62 mm., ambas emplazadas en paralelo en un único montaje. El alcance de la DT era de unos 1.000 metros, mientras el de la DShK era de unos 4.000. Ésta podía disparar tanto balas B-30 perforantes explosivas, como balas B-32 perforantes incendiarias. Las B-30 de núcleo de acero tenían una velocidad inicial de 850 m/s, y podía penetrar 16 mm de blindaje vertical a 300 metros.

El comandante tenía tres visores periscópicos y el conductor dos. Para circular de noche, con niebla o navegar, el T-40 estaba equipado con brújula magnética. También poseía una radio modelo 71-TK-3 de 16 kilómetros de alcance, instalada en el lado derecho del puesto del comandante.

El desarrollo del carro anfibio “019” finalizó en la primavera de 1939. En julio se construyeron cuatro vehículos experimentales, y dos más posteriormente. Estaban equipados con motores importados Dodge y D-5 de 76 y 85 caballos debido a la falta de motores propios. Algunos de los T-40 de producción también llevaron estos motores.

En julio y agosto de 1939 dos “010” (que ya habían sido designados T-40) fueron probados tanto en tierra como en agua. Los resultados se enviaron a la fábrica Nº 37 en Moscú con instrucciones para solventar todos los defectos encontrados. Se alargó el chasis en unos 120 mm y la anchura en 50 mm. La altura fue rebajada en 20 mm y se montó un motor GAZ-202 (GAZ-11).

El 19 de diciembre de 1939 se aceptó el vehículo definitivamente y se dieron instrucciones para fabricar tres T-40 experimentales para marzo de 1940, 15 vehículos de serie para el 1 de agosto y el comienzo de la producción no más tarde del 1 de octubre de 1940. La producción en masa comenzó efectivamente en octubre de dicho año. De los 100 ejemplares previstos para finales de año, sólo se terminaron 37 (además de 6 experimentales). En 1941 se incrementó la producción y para el comienzo de la guerra ya se habían fabricado otros 179 carros más.

La necesidad de tanques para el Ejército Rojo era acuciante en los primeros meses de guerra. Para aumentar la producción del T-40, la fábrica simplificó el montaje. Se eliminaron las características anfibias y la radio. En julio de 1941 se produjeron 60 carros modernizados. Según los archivos, dichos carros llevaban el mismo nombre anterior, pero tras la guerra fueron renombrados T-40S (La “S” era la abreviatura de sukhoputniy o “terrestres”). El perfil del casco era el mismo y tampoco se cambió el armamento pese a las reiteradas solicitudes.

Desde julio de 1941 la fábrica comenzó a producir los T-40S con blindaje trasero plano (sin la cavidad para la hélice). El blindaje frontal y lateral se aumentó hasta los 15 mm, y el de la torre a 20 mm. El blindaje estaba totalmente soldado en acero homogéneo. Extraoficialmente, este carro fue conocido como “030” o T-30. A partir de septiembre de 1941, algunos T-30 fueron dotados con el cañón automático ShVAK de 20 mm y 750 disparos, que por entonces estaba en su desarrollo final.

En total se fabricaron 443 carros en 1941 en tres versiones diferentes, pero el El Ejército Rojo sólo aceptó la designación T-40 para todas ellas. El último lote producido portaba lanzaderas múltiples Katyusha BM-8-24 en lugar de torres, que disparaban cohetes no guiados de 82 mm.

En general el T-40 fue un carro exitoso. Incluso tras la guerra, sus parámetros principales (protección, armamento y capacidad anfibia) eran aún satisfactorios para un vehículo ligero de reconocimiento si los comparamos con el ASU-76 de 1949 o el ASU-57P de 1954.



In the Red Army’s system of tank classification, light tanks (with weight up to 6 tons) were used by infantry and calvary units for reconnaissance, combat with enemy landing forces, and guard duty. Their very light protection, weak armament and small crew were compensated for by their mobility, small dimensions (especially length), very good maneuverability on rough terrain, and amphibious ability. In the 1930’s, the Red Army had two models of light tanks: the T-37 and the T-38.

Soviet industry wasn’t overburdened by manufacturing these tanks because their construction was very simple and cheap. Their production didn’t demand scarce heavy armor plates or powerful engines. Therefore, such vehicles could be produced in less-specialized factories in large quantities. Since 1931, Moscow Factory No37 had developed several models of light tanks: tankette T-27 and T-27A; amphibious T-37A and T-38 (several versions); as well as the armored tractors “Pioneer” and “Komsomoletz”.

However, by 1938, the design of the T-38 had become obsolete, so the Red Army was in need of a new amphibious reconnaissance tank. The armor of this tank would have to protect from armor-piercing projectiles as well as from shell fragments. Sloped armor, increasing the tank’s firepower, and the installation of a radio were some features considered for the new tank.

At the end of 1938, a special Research Department of factory No37 under Chief Engineer N.A.Astrov, undertook a new project, “010”. The new hull and chassis were developed before the turret. The crew consisted of two men: a driver (located in the front of the hull) and a commander (in the turret). The design of the new vehicle allowed access to the engine from inside the vehicle once an armored partition was removed. The transmission was in the front of the vehicle as in the T-38. At the rear there were two fuel tanks of 100 liters each. The tank had a screw propeller and two rudders with armor protection.

In comparison with the T-38, the new vehicle was much better-armed with the large-calibre 12.7 mm DShK, and the 7.62 mm DT machine-guns. The machine-guns were paired and installed in one armored mount. The range of the DT was 1000 metres, and the range of the DShK was 4000 metres. The DShK had explosive, armor-piercing B-30, and incendiary armor-piercing B-32 bullets. The steel-cored B-30 bullet had a muzzle velocity of 850 m/s, and was able to penetrate 16 mm of vertical armor from a distance of 300 m.

The commander had three periscopic sights, and the driver had two. To navigate on water, in fog, and at night, the vehicle was equipped with a magnetic compass. There was a 71-TK-3 radio (range 16 km) which was installed to the right of the commander’s position.

The development of amphibious tank “010” was finished in the spring of 1939. In July 1939, Soviet industry built four experimental vehicles, and two more at a later date. They were equipped with imported Dodge engines and D-5’s (76 h.p. or 85 h.p.), due to a lack of domestically-produced power plants. Some first series T-40’s were equipped with these engines as well.

In July and August 1939, two “010’s” (which had received the designation T-40) had been tested on both land and water. The results were sent to Moscow factory No37 with orders to fix all of the defects which were found. The length of the vehicle was increased by 120 mm, and it’s width was increased by 50 mm. The height of the vehicle was lowered by 20 mm. A new engine, the GAZ-202 (GAZ-11), was mounted.

On 19 December 1939, the new tank was accepted into service. Moscow factory No37 was to produce three experimental T-40’s by 1st March 1940, the first production of 15 vehicles would be over by 1 August 1940, and mass production was set up not later than 1st October 1940. The mass production of the T-40 was begun in October 1940. By the end of that year, the factory planned to produce 100 T-40 tanks, but had finished only 37 (plus six experimental tanks). In 1941, production had been increased, and by 22 June 1941, the factory had produced another 179 tanks.

The Red Army’s need of tanks was so great that even weak tanks were needed badly. To increase the output of T-40’s, the factory simplified construction of the vehicle. First of all, all the amphibious features and radio were removed. In July 1941, 60 modernised tanks were built. According to archival documents, those tanks had the same name, but after the war they were renamed T-40S (where “S” means sukhoputniy or “overland”). The hull silhouette of the modernised tank was left unchanged. In spite of frequent requests, the armament of the T-40S wasn’t changed.

From July 1941, the factory started producing the T-40S with flat rear armor plate (i.e. without a cavity for a screw propeller). Frontal and side armor of the hull was increased to 15 mm, and the frontal and side turret armor was increased to 20 mm. The vehicle had fully welded armor of homogenous steel. Unofficially, this vehicle received the “030” or T-30 designation. From September 1941, some production T-30’s were armed with the 20 mm ShVAK automatic tank gun (with 750 rounds of ammunition), which was in the last stage of development.

In total, 443 vehicles were produced in 1941 in three different versions. However, these variants were never accepted by the Red Army, the T-30 designation was abandoned, and all the vehicles were designated simply as T-40’s. The last batch of T-40s built had BM-8-24 Katyusha rocket racks mounted instead of turrets. This version provided a mobile mount for a 24-rail multiple-launch rocket system, firing 82mm unguided rockets.

In general, the T-40 was a successful tank. Interestingly, even after the end of World War II, its main parameters (protection, armament, amphibious ability) were still satisfactory for the task of a light reconnaissance vehicle as compared with other post-war vehicles such as the ASU-76 (1949) and ASU-57P (1954).


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

The Russian Battlefield
David Miller, The Illustrated Directory of Tanks of the World, Greenwhich Editions, 2001.

©jmodels.net