jmodels.net

Web de modelismo / Air, land & sea modeling site

T-54

Carro de combate ruso
Russian tank

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Carro de combate principal. TYPE:Main battle tank.
TRIPULANTES:4 CREW:4
ANCHURA:3´27 m. WIDTH:10.73 ft.
LONGITUD:9 m. LENGTH:29.53 ft.
ALTURA:2´4 m. HEIGHT:7.87 ft.
PESO:36,000 kg.
WEIGHT:79,366 lb.
MOTOR:Un motor diésel de 12 cilindros V-54 de 520 hp. ENGINE:One V-54 12-cylinder diesel-fueled engine developing 520 hp.
AUTONOMÍA:400 km. RANGE:249 ml.
ARMAMENTO:

  • Un cañón de 100 mm. D-10T en la torre.
  • Una ametralladora coaxial SG MT de 7´82 mm.
  • Una ametralladora AA DShKM de 12´7 mm. en la torre.
ARMAMENT:

  • One 100mm. D-10T main gun in turret.
  • One 7.62mm. SG MT co-axial machine-gun.
  • One 12.7mm. DShKM AA machine-gun on turret roof.
MUNICIÓN:

  • 100 mm.:34 proyectiles.
  • 7´62 mm.:3,000 proyectiles.
  • 12´7 mm.:500 proyectiles.
AMMO:

  • 100mm.:34 rounds.
  • 7.62mm.:3,000 rounds.
  • 12.7mm.:500 rounds.
BLINDAJE:30-205 mm. ARMOR:1.18-8.07 in.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera:48 km/h.
MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:30 mph.
VERSIONES:22 VERSIONS:22
CONSTRUIDOS:Más de 50.000 (Todos los modelos). BUILT:Over 50,000 (All variants).

La serie T-54 del carro de combate soviético surgió en la búsqueda de un reemplazo viable para el carro medio T-34 de la Segunda Guerra Mundial. El T-34 en sí fue un producto probado en el conflicto y apareció como una desagradable sorpresa para las tripulaciones de los carros alemanes y los equipos anticarro por igual. El T-34 era un vehículo muy apreciado pero tosco, que utilizaba una hábil combinación de velocidad, potencia de fuego y blindaje que finalmente puso al ejército alemán a la defensiva durante la guerra. El T-34 rebasó los 84.000 ejemplares fabricados desde 1940 hasta 1958 y sirvió a muchas naciones hasta bien entrada la Guerra Fría. Con ese fin, los ingenieros soviéticos intentaron varias iniciativas para reemplazar el diseño T-34 de mentalidad utilitaria, aunque altamente efectivo, por un modelo más moderno, refinado y confiable. Uno de esos intentos se convirtió en el T-44 armado con un cañón de 85 mm. que, a pesar de entrar en servicio en 1944, no vio ningún combate notable en la Segunda Guerra Mundial y poseía falta de fiabilidad mecánica, limitando su producción total a aproximadamente 1.800 ejemplares. El ejército soviético prefirió el cañón principal de 100 mm en su lugar y esto, junto con el final de la guerra, marcó el final del T-44 a largo plazo. Sin embargo, un diseño paralelo surgió como reemplazo más fiable y esta versión montaba el cañón principal deseado de 100 mm. El carro fue designado como T-54.

El diseño del nuevo carro comenzó a fines de 1944 del que surgió un prototipo en febrero de 1945. Las pruebas posteriores resultaron lo suficientemente prometedoras como para que el diseño fuera aceptado formalmente en servicio por el ejército soviético a partir de entonces. La guerra en Europa terminó en mayo de 1945, mientras que la guerra con Japón duró solo un corto tiempo desde agosto hasta principios de septiembre. El trabajo continuó en el T-54 como posible reemplazo de la legendaria serie T-34.

El T-54 se construyó alrededor del cañón principal de la serie D-10 de 100 mm, lo que lo convirtió instantáneamente en uno de los carros de combate de primera línea más poderosos en comparación con los desarrollos occidentales de la época. El T-54 mejoró el blindaje del T-34 y se le dio un nuevo sistema de transmisión, así como un nuevo motor. La experiencia del Ejército Rojo en tiempos de guerra en la guerra blindada se abrió paso naturalmente en el diseño. Después de varias revisiones de diseño y numerosos “arreglos” de ingeniería, el T-54 surgió en forma de evaluación como T-54-1 en 1946. Con la evaluación del T-54 aún en curso, las autoridades soviéticas ordenaron formalmente la producción en serie en 1947. El T-54 estuvo disponible operativamente en el inventario del Ejército Rojo en 1949.

Exteriormente, el T-54 era un diseño de carro decididamente soviético, con una torre de acero fundido bien redondeado que montaba un cañón principal de 100 mm. La apariencia no era diferente a la de la serie de carros pesados ​​Josef Stalin desplegados contra los alemanes en tiempos de guerra. El cañón principal de 100 mm. era relativamente anodino y no estaba cubierto por un freno de boca. El arma tenía buena capacidad de penetración a unos 1.000 metros de distancia. Su único defecto estructural era su depresión limitada, una deficiencia notoria que restringía el uso de algunas tácticas de disparo. Se podían transportar hasta 34 proyectiles de munición de 100 mm. de tipo tanto explosivo como perforante. La munición se almacenaba en la torre y en todo el casco. La defensa aérea la proporcionaba una ametralladora pesada antiaérea DShK de 12´7 mm. ubicada en la escotilla del cargador. La defensa adicional provenía de una ametralladora coaxial SG de 7´62 mm. instalada en la torre junto con el armamento principal (operado por el artillero). Una característica de diseño bastante novedosa incluía ametralladoras instaladas en los guardabarros para una defensa adicional contra la infantería.

Estructuralmente, había cinco ruedas de carretera grandes a cada lado con el par más delantero colocado notablemente por delante de los pares de ruedas traseras. La rueda dentada motriz se montó en la parte trasera con la rueda tensora en la parte delantera. No se implementaron rodillos de retorno de la oruga en el diseño. La superestructura del casco era de un perfil relativamente bajo, mientras que la plancha del glacis estaba bien inclinada, contorneando muy bien en el techo del casco. La tripulación consistía en conductor, comandante del carro, conductor y el cargador de armas principal (el artillero/operador de radio montado a proa, común a la mayoría de los carros de la Segunda Guerra Mundial había caído en desgracia en ese momento). El conductor se situaba en una posición delantera izquierda en el casco delantero mientras que el comandante, el artillero y el cargador estaban situados en la torre con el primer grupo a la izquierda y el último a la derecha. El motor se instaló en la parte trasera del casco y consistía en un solo motor diésel de 12 cilindros refrigerado por agua de la serie V-54 que desarrollaba 520 CV. La construcción del casco fue de un diseño totalmente soldado y el peso total estaba por debajo de las 40 toneladas.

Siendo un diseño basado en parámetros básicos, cualquier estudiante de la Segunda Guerra Mundial podría apreciar las líneas de diseño del T-54. En total, el T-54 ofrecía mucha más potencia de fuego directo y blindaje que su predecesor, que era todo lo que el Ejército Rojo podía haber esperado, particularmente en su intento diario de superar cualquier desarrollo que viniese de Occidente. La movilidad campo traviesa se consideró excelente y la relación potencia/peso era notable.

El T-54-1, que apareció en 1946, se identificaba por su torre curva bien contorneada, así como por su amplio mantelete del cañón. El cañón principal D-10T no estaba estabilizado, por lo que disparar en movimiento con cualquier nivel de precisión era casi imposible. Esta versión también llevaba ametralladoras de la serie SG-43 de 7´62 mm. en los guardabarros para mejorar la defensa contra la infantería, pero su valor táctico era cuestionable. La producción de este modelo fue limitada en el mejor de los casos y principalmente se reservó para fines de evaluación en lugar de servicios operativos. Los pocos que se completaron mostraron algunos problemas graves de control de calidad que se reflejaron mal en el proyecto en su conjunto. La producción del T-54-1 duró hasta 1948.

En 1949, el T-54-2 fue presentado y exhibía una torre revisada con caras laterales aplanadas, un voladizo trasero y un techo en forma de cúpula. Las orugas se ensancharon para un mejor desplazamiento mientras que el sistema de transmisión se mejoró. Las ametralladoras de 7´62 mm. montadas en el guardabarros se eliminaron en favor de un emplazamiento montado a proa más convencional para ser manejado por el conductor. La producción de este modelo duró hasta 1952. Una versión modernizada finalmente agregó un sistema de protección de vehículos ZET-1 para ayudar a aumentar la capacidad de supervivencia en el campo de batalla, evidente por las redes de fundición alrededor del arma principal.

En 1952 apareció el T-54-3, que mostraba una torre curva ovalada. La mira del artillero se actualizó al sistema de la serie TSh-2-22. Se añadió un generador de pantalla de humo al motor que permitía al T-54 crear su propio humo y cubrir sus maniobras hasta cierto punto. El sistema inyectaba combustible diésel en el motor, produciendo así el resultado deseado. La producción duró hasta 1954, mientras que las fábricas polacas produjeron una versión local de 1956 a 1964.

El T-54A apareció en 1955 y finalmente agregó un estabilizador al cañón principal en el plano vertical. Esto supuso un cambio del cañón original D-10T al D-10TG. Llevaba un esnórquel de serie, lo que le permitió al T-54 algunas capacidades anfibias de las que carecían las versiones anteriores. Otras adiciones incluyeron un faro infrarrojo, un nuevo dispositivo de mira telescópico, un nuevo equipo de radio, un filtro de aire del motor revisado, un extintor automático y un periscopio infrarrojo en la posición del conductor. Al cañón se le dio un contrapeso para lidiar con el retroceso, pero esto luego dio paso a un evacuador de orificio. También se añadieron depósitos de combustible adicionales para ayudar a aumentar la autonomía. El T-54A se produjo hasta 1957. Polonia lo fabricó desde 1956 hasta 1964. De manera similar, la producción checa local se extendió desde 1957 hasta 1966. China produjo esta versión del T-54 como Tipo 59, aunque finalmente resultó inferior de alguna manera al original.

Luego siguió el T-54B en 1957 y la clave de este desarrollo fue la inclusión de un sistema de estabilización del cañón principal de dos ejes que aumentaba la precisión de disparo cuando estaba en movimiento. El arma fue modernizada al modelo D-10T2S. En 1959, la serie recibió un auténtico sistema infrarrojo de visión nocturna que permitía al T-54 operar en entornos diurnos y nocturnos. Esta versión recibió el nombre en clave de la OTAN de T-54 (M) para significar los cambios. La producción del T-54B se extendió hasta 1958.

A mediados de la década de 1950, una revisión importante de la línea T-54 dio lugar al carro T-55, visualmente similar. El carro estaba equipado con un motor nuevo, una protección de blindaje más gruesa y una protección básica Nuclear-Biológico-Química (NBQ) para la tripulación. La producción del T-55 comenzó en enero de 1958. La llegada del T-55 creó la designación T-54M de mediados de la década de 1960 que marcó a los modelos de producción T-54 llevados al nuevo estándar T-55. Los esfuerzos de modernización adicionales a lo largo de la década de 1960 crearon la designación T-54AM que introdujo más espacio interno para proyectiles, así como nuevos equipos de radio. El motor era una nueva versión del mismo sistema de la serie V-55. Otra modernización de la serie se inició en 1977, que agregó el esnórquel OPVT y el telémetro láser de la serie KTD-1. Se utilizaron versiones adicionales del T-54 como bancos de pruebas para varios armamentos en desarrollo.

El T-54 también se modificó como carro de mando con equipo de comunicaciones adicional en lugar de cinco proyectiles de 100 mm. Los carros de mando tuvieron cuatro variantes distintas, conocidas como las series T-54K, T-54AK, T-54BK y T-54MK, cada una con sus propias subvariantes. El T-54K incluyó el T-54K1 y el T-54K2. El T-54AK estaba compuesto por el T-54AK1 y el T-54AK2. El T-54BK involucró al T-54BK1 y T-54BK2. El T-54MK estaba formado por el T-54MK1 y el T-54MK2. Los designadores K1 y K2 simplemente identificaron el equipo de radio adicional en los modelos K1 y el uso de un mástil telescópico en los modelos K2.

Al igual que otros carros de combate de gran producción, la serie T-54 se produjo se fabricó en múltiples versiones, además de la de combate y mando. Entre ellas hubo un vehículo blindado de recuperación (ARV), el lanza-puentes AVLB y el vehículo de ingenieros IMR. También se fabricó un modelo lanzallamas y un vehículo de limpieza de minas.

Hasta el día de hoy, el T-54 todavía se despliega en numerosas cantidades a nivel mundial y se han visto acciones de combate sustanciales en una variedad de entornos. La mayoría de los clientes fueron naciones aliadas soviéticas y estados como China, que produjeron una casi copia del T-54 como Tipo 59 antes mencionado. Si bien era un excelente carro para su época, uno debe considerar sus orígenes en la Segunda Guerra Mundial en el campo de batalla tecnológicamente hambriento de hoy. A pesar del pedigrí del famoso T-34, el T-54 era en gran medida inferior a sus contemporáneos en Occidente y en otros lugares. En cualquier caso, lo más probable es que el T-54 siga existiendo en el campo de batalla durante algún tiempo, gracias en gran parte a las abrumadoras cifras de producción asociadas con su línea de desarrollo. Varios programas de modernización (incluida la adición de un telémetro láser externo y reflectores y miras mejorados) instituidos por una variedad de sus propietarios a lo largo de los años ciertamente han ayudado a mantener al T-54 como una solución viable en el campo de batalla.

Los operadores del T-54 (más allá de la Unión Soviética, Polonia y Checoslovaquia/República Checa) incluyeron Afganistán, Albania, Argelia, Angola, Armenia, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Camboya, República del Congo, Alemania Oriental, Egipto, Etiopía, Finlandia, Georgia, Guinea, Hungría, India, Irán, Irak, Kurdistán, Israel, Laos, Líbano, Libia, Malí, Mongolia, Marruecos, Mozambique, Namibia, Corea del Norte, Vietnam del Norte/Vietnam, Yemen del Norte, Pakistán, Perú , Polonia, Ruanda, Somalia, Yemen del Sur, Sudán, Siria, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Ucrania, Estados Unidos (algunos ejemplos de OPposing FORce (OPFOR) para entrenamiento), Uruguay, Zambia y Zimbabwe.

El ejército israelí se enfrentó al T-54 en varios conflictos, incluida la Guerra de los Seis Días de 1967 y la Guerra del Yom Kippur de 1973. Como resultado, miles de ejemplares fueron capturados y eventualmente reconstituidos en servicio con el ejército israelí contra sus antiguos operadores. Estos ejemplos se modificaron con cañones principales de 105 mm., un motor General Motors y un sistema de control de fuego israelí (FCS). Muchos se retiraron en la década de 1980, algunos se convirtieron en vehículos blindados de transporte de personal Achzarit, mientras que otros se vendieron a partes interesadas. Se cree que algunos T-54 modificados todavía están en posesión israelí.

Se cree que el carro T-54 se ha producido en más de 50.000 ejemplares tanto a nivel local como en el extranjero. Junto con los números de producción del T-55 similar, la serie de carros de combate T-54/55 se erige como el carro de combate más fabricado en la historia con algunos totales combinados que oscilan entre 85.000 y 100.000 unidades producidas (las fuentes varían). Como tal, el T-54/55 también puede presumir de ser uno de los carros de combate con más experiencia en la historia de la guerra mecanizada, y que aún es empleado en África, los Balcanes, en todo el Medio Oriente y en Asia. La producción soviética del T-54 duró hasta 1981, debido a los defectos del nuevo T-62, que nunca estuvo a la altura de las expectativas de los compradores exigentes. Polonia produjo el T-54 hasta 1979, mientras que Checoslovaquia gestionó la producción hasta 1981.



The T-54 series of Soviet main battle tank came about in the search for a viable replacement for the war-winning T-34 Medium Tank of World War II. The T-34 itself was a proven commodity in the conflict and appeared as a nasty surprise to German tanker crews and anti-tank teams alike. The T-34 was a highly regarded yet crude battlefield implement that utilized a skillful combination of speed, firepower and armor protection which ultimately put the Germany Army on the defensive for the duration of the war. The T-34 went on to be produced in over 84,000 examples from 1940 to 1958 and served many nations well into the Cold War years thereafter (some even fielding the type today). To that end, Soviet engineers attempted several initiatives to replace the utilitarian-minded, though highly effective, T-34 design with a more modern, refined and reliable type. One such attempt became the 85mm.-armed T-44 that, despite entering service in 1944, did not see any notable combat action in World War II and was further dogged by mechanical unreliability, limiting total production to approximately 1,800 examples. The Soviet Army favored the 100mm. main gun instead and the this, along with the end of the war, signaled the end of the T-44 for the long term. Nevertheless, a parallel design emerged as a more reliable replacement and this version mounted the desired 100mm main gun. The tank was designated as the T-54.

Design of the new tank began in late 1944 to which a prototype emerged in February of 1945. Subsequent trials proved promising enough that the design was formally accepted into service by the Soviet Army thereafter. The war in Europe was over in May of 1945 while the war with Japan spanned only a short time from August to early September with the Soviets earning the victory. Work continued on the T-54 as a possible replacement for the fabled T-34 series.

The T-54 was built around the 100mm. D-10 series main gun, instantly making it one of the most powerful frontline combat tanks in consideration when compared to Western developments of the time. The T-54 improved upon armor protection over that of the T-34 and was given a new transmission system as well as a new engine. War-time Red Army experience in armored warfare naturally made their way into the design. After several design revisions and numerous engineering “fixes”, the T-54 emerged in an evaluation form as the T-54-1 in 1946. With evaluation of the T-54 system still underway, the Soviet authorities formally ordered the tank into quantitative serial production in 1947. The T-54 became operationally available in the Red Army inventory in 1949.

Outwardly, the T-54 was a decidedly Soviet tank design featuring a well-rounded cast steel turret emplacement mounting a 100mm. main gun. The look was not unlike that as featured on the wartime Josef Stalin series of heavy tanks fielded against the Germans. The 100mm main gun barrel was relatively featureless and not capped by a muzzle brake. The gun was ranged (with good penetrative capabilities) out to targets some 1,000 yards away, its only structural misgiving being the limited downward traverse, a noted deficiency which restricted use of the “hull down” firing tactic. Up to 34 projectiles of 100mm. ammunition could be carried and this ran the standard gamut of high-explosive and armor-piercing rounds. Ammunition was stored in the turret as well as throughout the hull. Air defense was provided for via a 12.7mm. DShK anti-aircraft heavy machine gun located at the loader’s hatch. Further defense came from a 7.62mm. SG coaxial machine gun fitted in the turret alongside the main gun armament (operated by the gunner). A rather novel design feature included machine guns fitted to the fenders for additional anti-infantry defense.

Structurally, there were five large road wheels adorning either track side with the front-most pair set noticeably ahead of the rearward set wheel pairs. The drive sprocket was fitted at the rear with the track idler at the front. No track return rollers were implemented into the track design. The hull superstructure was of a relatively low-profile while the glacis plate was well-sloped, contouring nicely into the hull roof. Crew accommodations consisted of the driver, tank commander, driver and main gun loader (the bow-mounted machine gunner/radio operator crewman common to most World War 2 tanks had fallen out of favor by this point). The driver maintained a front-left position in the front hull while the commander, gunner and loader were situated in the turret with the former group at left and the latter at right. The engine was fitted to the rear of the hull and consisted of a single V-54 series 12-cylinder water-cooled diesel engine developing 520 hp. Construction of the hull was of an all-welded design and overall weight fell just under 40 short tons at 39,700 kg.

A very fundamental tank design, any student of World War II could appreciate the design lines of the T-54. All told, the T-54 offered up much more direct line firepower and field armor protection than her predecessor which was all the Red Army could have hoped for, particularly in its daily attempt to upstage any armor developments occurring in the West. Cross-country mobility was deemed rather excellent and the power-to-weight ratio was something of note.

The T-54-1, appearing in 1946, was identified by its well-contoured curved turret assembly as well as its wide gun mantlet. The D-10T main gun was not stabilized so firing-on-the-move with any level of accuracy was near impossible. This version also stowed 7.62mm. SG-43 series machine guns on the fenders for improved defense against infantry but their tactical value was questionable. Production of this model was limited at best and primarily as set aside for evaluation purposes rather than operational service. The few that were completed showcased some severe quality control issues that reflected poorly on the project as a whole. T-54-1 production lasted until 1948.

In 1949, the T-54-2 was unveiled and showcased a revised turret assembly with flattened side facings, a rear overhang and a dome-shaped roof. The tracks were widened for better ground displacement while the transmission system was reworked for the better. The fender-mounted 7.62mm. machine guns were removed in favor of a more conventional bow-mounted emplacement to be managed by the driver. Production of this form lasted until 1952. A modernized version eventually added the ZET-1 series vehicle protection suite to help increase battlefield survivability noted by netting cast around the main gun.

In 1952, the T-54-3 was brought online and displayed an oval, curved turret assembly. The gunner’s sight was upgraded to the TSh-2-22 series system. An engine-based smoke screen generator was instituted which allowed the T-54 to create its own smoke and cover its maneuvers to an extent. The system simply relied on raw diesel being injected into the engine, thusly producing the desired result. Production lasted until 1954 while Polish factories produced a local breed from 1956 to 1964.

The T-54A appeared in 1955 and finally added a main gun stabilizer across the vertical plane. This, in effect, redesignated the original D-10T tank gun to D-10TG. A snorkel was now standard and this allowed the T-54 some amphibious capabilities that previous versions lacked. Other additions included an infrared headlamp, new telescopic sighting device, new radio equipment, revised engine air filter, automatic fire extinguisher and an infrared periscope at the driver’s position. The barrel was given a counter weight to contend with recoil but this later gave way to a bore evacuator within time. Extra fuel tanks were also utilized to help increase operational ranges. The T-54A was produced until 1957. Poland manufactured the type from 1956 until 1964. Similarly, localized Czech production spanned from 1957 until 1966. China produced this version of the T-54 as the Type 59 though it eventually proved inferior in any way to the original.

The T-54B then followed in 1957 and key to this development was its inclusion of a two-axis main gun stabilization system which increased firing accuracy when on-the-move. The gun was further redesignated to D-10T2S. In 1959, the series was given true infrared night vision fighting performance which allowed the T-54 to operate in day and night time environments. This version was given the NATO codename of T-54(M) to signify the changes. T-54B production spanned into 1958.

In the mid-1950s, a major revision to the T-54 line produced the visually similar T-55 Main Battle Tank. The tank was fitted with a new engine, thicker armor protection and basic Nuclear-Biological-Chemical (NBC) protection for the crew. Production of the T-55 commenced in January of 1958. The arrival of the T-55 created the T-54M designation of the mid-1960s which marked T-54 production models brought up to the new T-55 standard. Further modernization efforts throughout the 1960s created the T-54AM designation which introduced more internal space for projectiles as well as new radio equipment. The engine was a new version of the same V-55 series system. Another modernization of the series was sparked in 1977 which added the OPVT snorkel and KTD-1 series laser rangefinder. Additional T-54 versions were used as test beds for various developmental armaments.

The T-54 was also modified as a command tank with extra communications equipment taking the place of five 100mm projectiles. The command tanks were noted within four distinct variant forms known as the T-54K, T-54AK, T-54BK and T-54MK series, each with their own sub-variants. The T-54K included the T-54K1 and T-54K2. The T-54AK was made up of the T-54AK1 and T-54AK2. The T-54BK involved the T-54BK1 and T-54BK2. The T-54MK consisted of the T-54MK1 and T-54MK2. The K1 and K2 designators simply identified the additional radio equipment in the K1 models and the use of a telescoping mast in the K2 models.

Like other high quantity production battle tanks, the T-54 series was produced beyond the requisite combat and command forms. This included the Armored Recovery Vehicle (ARV), the AVLB bridgelayer and the IMR combat engineering vehicle. A flame projecting tank was also recognized as was a mine clearing vehicle.

To this day, the T-54 is still fielded in numerous quantities globally and these have seen substantial combat actions throughout a variety of environments. Most customers were accordingly Soviet allied nations and states such as China which went on to produce a near-copy of the T-54 as the aforementioned Type 59. While an excellent tank system for its time, one must consider the World War II origins of the machine on today’s technologically hungry battlefield. Despite the pedigree of the famous T-34, the T-54 is largely inferior to its contemporaries in the West and elsewhere. In any case, the T-54 will most likely still manage a battlefield existence for some time to come – thanks in large part to the overwhelming production figures associated with the family line. Various modernization programs (including addition of an external laser range-finder and improved searchlights and sights) instituted by a variety of its owners over the years have certainly helped to keep the T-54 a viable battlefield solution.

Operators of the T-54 (beyond the Soviet Union, Poland and Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic) went on to include Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Republic of Congo, East Germany, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, Georgia, Guinea, Hezbollah, Hungary, India, Iran, Iraq, Kurdistan, Israel, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, North Korea, North Vietnam/Vietnam, North Yemen, Pakistan, Peru, Poland, Rwanda, Somalia, South Yemen, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Ukraine, United States (few examples for OPposing FORce, OPFOR, training only), Uruguay, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

The Israeli Army faced off against the T-54 in several conflicts including the 1967 Six Day War and the 1973 Yom Kippur War. As a result, thousands of examples were captured and eventually reconstituted into service with the Israeli Army against their former operators. These examples were modified with 105mm main guns, a General Motors engine and an Israeli fire control system (FCS). Many were retired in the 1980s – some converted to Achzarit armored personnel carriers while others sold to interested parties. Some modified T-54s are still believed to be in Israeli possession.

The T-54 tank is believed to have been produced in over 50,000 examples both locally and abroad. Coupled with the production numbers of the similar T-55, the T-54/55 main battle tank series stands as the most manufactured combat tank in history with some combined totals ranging between 85,000 and 100,000 units produced (sources vary). As such, the T-54/55 can also lay claim to being one of the most experienced combat tanks in the history of mechanized warfare – the system seeing action across Africa, in the Balkans, throughout the Middle East and in Asia. Soviet production of the T-54 lasted until 1981, owing to the failings of the newer T-62 which never lived up to expectations for discerning buyers. Poland produced the T-54 until 1979 while Czechoslovakia managed production until 1981.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

militaryfactory.com

©jmodels.net

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: