T-70


Carro ligero soviético
Soviet light tank

 


DATOS TÉCNICOS TECHNICAL DATA
TIPO:Carro ligero. TYPE:Light tank.
TRIPULANTES:2 CREW:2
ANCHURA:2’75 m. WIDTH:9.02 ft.
LONGITUD:5’25 m. LENGTH:17.22 ft.
ALTURA:2’18 m. HEIGHT:7.15 ft.
PESO:12.677 kg. WEIGHT:27,948 lb.
MOTOR:Dos motores GAZ 202 (GAZ 203) en línea de 6 cilindros de 70 CV cada uno. ENGINE:Two GAZ 202 (GAZ 203) inline, 6-cylinder, water-cooled engine developing 70hp each.
AUTONOMÍA:360 km.

RANGE:224 ml.

ARMAMENTO:

  • Un cañón 20K Modelo 1938 de 45 mm. en la torre.
  • Una ametralladora de 7’62 mm. coaxial al cañón.

ARMAMENT:

  • One 45mm 20K Model 1938 main gun in turret.
  • One 7.62mm coaxial machine gun.
MUNICIÓN:

  • 45 mm.:90 (posteriormente 70) proyectiles.
  • 7’62 mm.:945 proyectiles.

AMMO:

  • 45mm.: 90 (later 70) rounds.
  • 7.62mm.:945 rounds.
BLINDAJE:10 mm.-60 mm. ARMOR:0.39in.-2.36in.
VELOCIDAD MÁX.:

  • Carretera:45 km/h.

MAX. SPEED:

  • Road:28 mph.
VERSIONES:6 VERSIONS:6
CONSTRUIDOS:8.226 BUILT:8,226

En octubre de 1941, cuatro meses después de la invasión alemana de la Unión Soviética, los ingenieros de la planta de vehículos GAZ empezaron a trabajar en el aumento de potencia del carro ligero del Ejército Rojo T-60. El diseño general se mantendría de manera que se acelerase su fabricación para atender las demandas del frente y por ello se trazaron planes detallados para sacar el máximo partido a los futuros prototipos. Para incrementar la potencia se recurrió a un par de motores gemelos de gasolina, sustituir el desfasado cañón de 20 mm. por otro de 45 mm., reforzar la suspensión mediante un sistema de barras de torsión y añadir dos ruedas a cada lado del tren de rodaje. Los demás elementos procederían del ya existente T-60. El primer prototipo estuvo listo en diciembre de 1941, y tras pasar las pruebas, sin duda aceleradas por la premura de la guerra, el T-70 fue oficialmente adoptado por el Ejército Rojo en enero de 1942 y se fijó el inicio de su fabricación en serie para marzo.

El T-70 se caracterizaba por su angulada torreta y glacis inclinado, unidos a una superestructura sobre la cual llevaba una torre achatada y alineada con la superficie superior. La tripulación se componía de dos hombres (conductor y comandante) como en el T-60. El comandante hacía las veces también de cargador y artillero. El conductor iba sentado en la parte central anterior del casco, ligeramente descentrado hacia la izquierda, con la pequeña y atestada cámara de combate situada tras él. La zona media del casco era ocupada por el doble motor en su lado derecho, lo cual hacía que la cámara de combate y la torre quedasen descentradas hacia la izquierda del eje central del vehículo. A cada lado llevaba cinco pares de ruedas, rueda tractora delantera y tensora en la parte posterior. También tenía tres rodillos de retorno por lado sin blindaje lateral (“faldones”) de protección. El sistema de transmisión iba empotrado sobre el suelo de la parte delantera del casco. Los carros T-70 de serie no poseían equipos de radio ya que sólo se instalaron en los de mando.

La torre monoplaza y soldada del T-70, de un espesor de blindaje de 35 mm., albergaba un cañón de 45 mm. Modelo 1938, así como una ametralladora coaxial DT de 7’62 mm., ambas armas manejadas por el comandante. La cadencia de fuego nominal del cañón era de 12 disparos por minuto. Inicialmente la munición consistía en 90 proyectiles de 45 mm. aunque en el modelo posterior T-70M se rebajó a 70 y era de dos tipos: perforante y de fragmentación. La penetración teórica del proyectil era de 50 mm. a 500 m. La ametralladora estaba alimentada por un total de 945 proyectiles distribuida en 15 cargadores. La parte delantera de la torres se encontraba bien protegida mediante un mantelete grueso y curvado. La torre giraba manualmente hasta 360º. En abril de 1942 se introdujo una nueva torre poliédrica y también soldada que reemplazó a la inicial de forma cónica.

La potencia del T-70 estaba supeditada a su motor GAZ-203, básicamente dos motores de automóvil GAZ-202 acoplados con una potencia de 70 CV cada uno. Este motor estaba alimentado desde dos depósitos de carburante internos situados en el lado izquierdo de la parte trasera. El motor estaba acoplado a una transmisión que proporcionaba cuatro marchas hacia delante y una hacia atrás, unida a la suspensión mediante un dispositivo sencillo de torsión. La velocidad en carretera podía alcanzar l0s 45 km/h y su radio de acción los 35 km.

En la práctica el T-70 resultó una plataforma artillera eficaz contra los carros ligeros alemanes e italianos. Era capaz de dejar fuera de combate a carros medios igualmente, pero esto fue cada vez más raro ya que el desarrollo de los carros alemanes evolucionó en los años centrales y finales de la guerra. Una de las mayores desventajas del diseño original del T-70 fue que el comandante debía hacerse cargo de las funciones de evaluar la situación táctica, guiar al conductor, manejar el cañón y la ametralladora, y recargarlos, desviando su atención en situaciones críticas. Su escaso blindaje quedó cada vez más en evidencia conforme avanzaba la guerra, lo mismo que el escaso calibre del cañón. Finalmente el poderoso cañón de 76 mm. se convertiría en estándar en el Ejército Rojo.

Desde septiembre de 1942 la producción del T-70 cambió al T-70M, un modelo más moderno y mejorado con nuevo tren de rodaje y munición reducida. El T-70M se convertiría en el carro ligero soviético más fabricado de la guerra y ayudaría a cubrir las bajas provocadas por las grandes pérdidas sufridas en los primeros meses de la guerra. Sin embargo, en la segunda mitad de 1942, incluso el T-70M se estaba quedando anticuado, lo que supuso la introducción del breve T-80. El T-80 representaba una ligera evolución del T-70M con torre biplaza (la tripulación era de tres hombres) para reducir las tareas del comandante y mayor blindaje. Sin embargo, estas mejoras resultaron escasas y sólo se fabricaron 120 ejemplares de este modelo, debido también al declive del carro ligero en general en favor de carros medios o pesados más potentes ya disponibles o próximos a aparecer en el campo de batalla. El T-80 fue el último carro ligero soviético fabricado durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial y sirvió junto al T-70 hasta el final de la misma.

Cuando el T-70 hubo cumplido su cometido en el campo de batalla de su tiempo, el chasis tuvo continuidad al emplearse en el cañón autopropulsado SU-76, dotado con el potente cañón de 76 mm. en una superestructura fija. Para darle función al peso extra, el casco fue alargado y ampliado, y se añadieron dos ruedas por lado al tren de rodaje. El SU-76 entró en servicio en 1942 y se fabricó hasta la asombrosa cifra de 14.292 ejemplares. A finales del conflicto le siguió el cañón AA autopropulsado ZSU-37, fabricado con el casco del T-70 hasta las 75 unidades, pero pocas de ellas quedaban en existencia al final de la guerra.

Los T-70 a menudo actuaban en combate junto a los T-34 y SU-76 y también eran empleados en misiones de reconocimiento encuadrados en otras unidades mecanizadas. En total, la producción del T-70 alcanzó los 8.226 ejemplares, incluidas las citadas variantes, y su fabricación llegó hasta 1943. Al menos 53 unidades fueron entregadas a Polonia y otras 10 a Checoeslovaquia. Como en el caso de otros carros soviéticos de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el T-70 siguió empleándose para probar nuevos modelos, como el cañón AA autopropulsado T-90 de 1942. Los últimos T-70 permanecieron en servicio hasta 1948.



In October of 1941, four months after the German invasion of the Soviet Union through Operation Barbarossa, engineers of the GAZ automotive plant began working on increasing the potency of the Red Army’s T-60 series light tank. The general design would remain largely the same to help expedite production and meet wartime demand and precise plans were drawn up to make the most of the ensuing prototypes. It was decided to mate a pair of gasoline engines for increased output, replace the outmoded 20mm main gun with a 45mm offering, increase armor protection from 35mm to 45mm, strengthen the torsion bar suspension system and implement an extra pair of road wheels to each track side. Further elements would comprise the existing systems of the T-60 already in circulation. The initial prototype was available in December of 1941 and, after clearing requisite trials (no doubt hastened by the desperation of war), the T-70 was formally adopted into Red Army service in January of 1942 with serial production scheduled to begin in March.

The T-70 featured a sharp-angled hull with a well-sloped glacis plate and accompanying superstructure to which a shallow turret was installed along the roofline. The crew included two (based on the original T-60 design) and was made up of the driver and commander, the latter doubling as his own gunner/loader. The driver was seated near front-center of the forward hull (slightly offset to the left side) with the small, cramped fighting compartment to his immediate rear. The middle of the hull also mounted the coupled engine arrangement along the right side, pushing the fighting compartment and turret to the left of centerline. Five double-tired road wheels were fitted to a track side with the drive sprocket at front and the track idler at rear. Three track return rollers guided the tracks along the upper portions of the hull side and there was no further side armor (“skirts”) provided. The transmission system was embedded in the floor of the forward hull. Basic T-70 combat tanks lacked radio sets as these were fielded only with definitive T-70 command vehicles.

The T-70’s one-man, all-welded turret (with 35mm armor thickness) was home to the 45mm Model 1938 main gun as well as a 7.62mm coaxial DT machine gun, both operated by the commander. Rate-of-fire was listed at approximately 12 rounds per minute. Initially, 90 45mm projectiles were carried (eventually lowered to 70 in the upcoming T-70M) and these were available in two basic flavors: AP (Armor-Piercing) and HE-FRAG (High-Explosive, Fragmentation). Armor penetration of the main gun was up to 50mm at 500 meters. The machine gun was fed from a 945-round onboard store (through 15 individual magazines). The forward portion of the turret was well-protected in a thick, curved steel mantlet. The turret was manually operated through 360º for engagement of enemies at all sides of the vehicle. April of 1942 saw a new, multi-faced welded turret replace the older conical style.

Power for the T-70 series was served through the GAZ-203 series engine, essentially two coupled GAZ-202 automobile 6-cylinder systems rated at 70 horsepower each (140 horsepower combined). The powerplant was fed by two internal fuel stores found along the left side of the hull rear. The engine was mated to a multi-speed transmission system featuring four forward and one reverse gears with suspension of the hull via a basic torsion arrangement. Road speeds could reach 28 miles per hour with operational ranges peaking at 220 miles.

In practice, the T-70 proved a competent gunnery platform against the lighter tanks of the Germans and Italians. It was capable of knocking out medium-class tanks as well but this proved more elusive as German tank development evolved in the middle and later years of the war. One of the biggest detriments of the T-70’s original design was that the commander needed to manage the tactical situation, the driver, the gun and his own reloading, taking his attention away from key developments during critical times. Its light armor protection became readily apparent as the war progressed as did the small-caliber main gun (the mighty Soviet 76mm eventually proved the accepted standard for the Red Army).

Beginning in September of 1942, production of the base T-70 moved to the T-70M, a modernized and improved form with revised running gear and a reduced ammunition load (down to 70 projectiles). The T-70M would become the most-produced Soviet light tank of World War 2 and help to strengthen ranks reduced through general attrition, particularly the heavy losses incurred in the initial German assault of 1941. However, by the latter part of 1942, even the newer T-70M was quickly becoming an outmoded product and this led to the development of the short-lived T-80 .The T-80 represented a slightly evolved form of the T-70M though with a two-man turret (now a complete crew of three) to reduce the commander’s workload and increased armor protection. However, the improvements were slight as only 120 examples of the type were produced due to a general decline of the light tank category as a whole, now given up in favor of more potent medium and heavy designs available or coming online. The T-80, therefore, became the last Soviet-produced light tank of World War 2 – serving alongside their T-70 counterparts into 1945.

When the T-70 had met its fate on the then-modern battlefield, the chassis served an extended role as carrier for the SU-76 series self-propelled gun (SPGs) mounting the potent 76mm gun in a new fixed superstructure. To accommodate the added weight and new role, the hull was lengthened and widened while an additional pair of road wheels was added. The SU-76 entered service in 1942 and was produced in an astounding 14,292 examples. The late-war ZSU-37 tracked self-propelled anti-aircraft gun platform followed suit, being built upon the existing chassis of the T-70 Light Tank and existing in 75 total examples, only a few of these available by war’s end.

T-70 tanks were regularly fielded side-by-side with T-34 Medium Tanks and SU-76 SPGs and also utilized in the fast reconnaissance role attached to other mechanized forces. In all, production of T-70 tanks reached 8,226 examples including all mentioned variants, production running until 1943. At least 53 were fielded by Poland and a further 10 by Czechoslovakia. As with other Soviet tank developments of World War 2, the T-70 was retained in various trial forms that included the T-90 self-propelled ant-aircraft gun (SPAAG) platform of 1942. The last T-70 tanks remained in active service until 1948.


FUENTES Y REFERENCIA – SOURCES & REFERENCE

militaryfactory.com

©jmodels.net